Unconventional monster abilities:

Dangerous fantasy creatures often possess natural abilities like fire-breath, powerful jaws, and nigh impenetrable armor. Yet these skills have become expected and repeated time and time again. What strange characteristics, natural or supernatural, would make an interesting monster?

Other urls found in this thread:

funin.space/index.php?search=beast&folders[]=monster
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A horn covered in poison so when it gores you, you explode.

Brachydios?

a super bright bioluminescent spot with a lens over it, set at the front of the monster's face. Allows it to blind prey with a strobe light effect

i dunno dude, why don't you try some of these for examples

funin.space/index.php?search=beast&folders[]=monster

Basilisks when killed and are in contact in stone, if not properly destroyed (acid, cremated, put not next to stone, utterly obliterated etc) have a 1d[insert dice number] and on the highest number, a fist sized stone is turned into an egg, this roll happens every year, the egg when it hatches is the same size after a year and 20% bigger, and it remembers everything.

I had an idea that elements were actually emodiments of their elements - a water elemental is a mobile, living pool of water, an air elemental is a gust of air, a fire elemental is literally a fire - which would be neat and require players to think if they want to defeat them, but they wouldn't really have a stat block or anything.

*elementals were actually embodiments of their elements

in 5e they aren't really portrayed as such, or I didn't read them in that sense.

Yeah, I don't imagine they would be. It was a thing for my setting, but could be applied elsewhere.

Air and Earth elementals will be supreme.

I kinda figured all but the really powerful air elementals would do minor damage but lots of knockdown/pushing around. They'd also be invisible. Haven't gotten around the earth elementals though.

Like human sized [as i think largest elementals are around elephant size and smallest are housecat size] air elemental can't land good punch or tornadoed cobble into someone's head?
Oh, can they choke someone?

Well, it's the impact that does the damage, not the push. Maybe they could throw things at you? Elephant-sized air elementals could probably uproot a tree or pick up a wagon and throw it at you. Human-size could probably pick you up and throw you if it wanted, although it'd be much easier with a kid.

On choking, I dunno. The only way I can think of neutralizing an air elemental is catching it in something until it dies (Loses it's energy to swoosh around) or putting it in a room or something with a fire that'd consume it, so I don't know how it would choke you unless it would just sit in your lungs and not leave, but that would risk it being caught there if you held your breath. Then again, you'd probably die before it ran out of energy, so maybe that would be a good strategy.

bump

Echolocation as a sonic weapon.

Reverse-changeling: rather than taking on the form of those around them, they force those around them to take on the form of the changeling

If you eat the monster's flesh, you must obey it. It creates servants by force feeding pieces of itself to its victims.

Gravity shifts so that "down" is always towards the monsters jaws when its mouth is open

You wouldn't need a poison. Just a hole in the horn that connects to the airway, and a powerful diaphragm. The horn punctures an abdomen, and then you just inflate their body cavity. Lungs collapse, you suffocate. It's even the sort of thing that might evolve in a mundane setting, given proper mutations and circumstances, so you could use it for a sci-fi game also.

depends on the setting and the monster

There's a webcomic called Hitmen For Destiny where the author goes all in on weird monster design and powers. I mean things like an entire ecosystem that's evolved around a prey species that can turn itself to stone or living portals the run around on stubbly little legs that exist symbiotically with a monster that's just a giant living stomach.

post it

what is this shit

I've always been a fan of parasitic control, but as an added twist, it eats the memories of that person before moving on to the next, and so on. And if properly cooked and eaten, an individual of great mental fortitude can gain an awareness of all the knowledge and life experience of every person the parasite has devoured over the years.

I had a monster in one of my games that had this sphere like body with a face in the middle of the torso, and it had a magical ability to make all baked goods come out perfectly.
sure the thing looked ugly, and people were afraid of it (it was about the size of a large cat)
technically it was a lesser demon and would ping "detect evil" but the most evil thing it would do was try to eat one or 2 of the baked goods that were intended to be sold at the bakery

Its a creature shaped hole that moves. It slides along flat sufaces and anything is currently manifesting on dissapears from existance until it moves somewhere else. It kills you by climbing on you.

My favorites are:
>Monsters that get stronger as they are damaged
>Undead that rise after they've been slain
>Things that can meld through walls or some specific material
>Monsters that mimic humans sounds or behaviours, but are still feral in nature.
>Goblin/kobold tier monsters that can cannibalize one another to regain health.

A toad covered almost entirely in glowing boils.

Striking the boils causes them to explode, both damaging attackers and providing some protection.

That's right: it's a toad with reactive armor.

JIHAD-BEES
>about 1 meter wide, 1.5 meters long

>once they are in low health they shoot their stinger forward, leaving a trail of poison across the battlefield for 1 round. Activating its internal bomb to detonate.
>The Jihad-Bee's next turn, she will move to the nearest enemy and attack/take action normally. Then at the end of its turn, she will explode, splashing poison in the place/square where it exploded, for the duration of the battle.

Yes/No?

A monster who's various organs, bones, and muscles can split apart and act as independent monsters.

its a leech that feeds on the magic in blood. the more magic they eat the bigger they grow.
ones that grow big enough will spew out more of its kind

You got that from Penumbra bestiary