Powers for Warlocks Ice Sword

one of my players really likes the idea of using an ice sword and i feel like making an artifact for this character. they are a warlock in the traditional sense, made a pact with a demon patron and whatnot.

the demon patron is a demon of ice and darkness basically, with powers revolving around debilitating and deceit.

what are some cool powers i can give this sword (maybe even over time as he improves his standing) for a warlock.

I've experimented with a couple ideas so far
- summon at will
- partially freeze enemies
- Fear enemies
- Cast spells through it
- Drain magic?
- bonus damage to other spell casters
- gain temporary life

Feel free to be as wild and creative, i can make just about anything work in game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IU513suJZzY
castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Sword
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i shouldn't have called it an ice sword really since its technically ice/darkness

nothing a little photoshop can't fix!

well, the sun is up so I'm gonna take a nap, thanks in advance. ill be back to answer any questions in a few hours.

Just give your bladelock a Frostbrand sword and be done with it.

drain essence/weaken + slow

Have the sword have the ability to cast "blindness/Deafen" from the cleric list but limited to only blind since your demon is themed around ice and darkness. Being sable to remove sight from a target is just about the penultimate darkness ability when it comes to single target crowd control.

Eventually you could have the warlock be able to cast a "Mass Blind" in an AoE

ICE
- drain heat (able to extinguish fires at distance and extra dmg to fire type creatures)
- crystalize (if place into, and given enough time, will turn water to ice, up to the surface of a large lake)
- winter (create hail, snow or fog)
- preserve (organic creatures killed by the sword will be very cold, preventing rot, for about a week)
- heat shield (mitigates/resists fire dmg)

DARKNESS
- shadowsheathe (can be hidden in, and drawn out of, any shadow, including the users)
- dim (lightsources are less bright when within 20 feet of the sword)
- blacksight (when within magical darkness, user can see and sword does more dmg)
- rift (can open temporary portals to the shadowrealm)
- doom (becomes an artifact of godlike power during an eclipse)

ICY DARKNESS
- dark glacier (summon and hurl large blocks of black ice towards opponents that will later melt into a thick polluting necrotic sludge)
- icicles of pitch (cause spikes to shoot out of enemies' shadows into them)
- frost coals (summon small chunks of coalike objects with an icy sheen, that when thrown into a fire source will explode with fragmentations and ice magic)

okay i think im done, hope youll have a use for them or at least helped inspire you.

forgot picture

so frostmorne

frostmorne sounds like the type of shit they would serve at a Starbucks.

yeah but what does frostmorne even do?

Controls Arthas.

did somebody say shadowrealm?

thats fuckin lame, "help create a unique epic sword of ice and darkness worthy of a powerful warlock"

(you): "Give it +d6 damage and shit in your players hands"

That's what you get for setting expectations toio high.
The whimsy is lost, never to return.

>+2d6 damage against citizens of Stratholme

Make it be forged from the ice of Cocytus or something like that, it'll be at least thematically fitting. As per the powers, it could create an AoE ice storm that slowly drains the enemies' stamina, giving them a debuff that grows over time and kill them if they stay on it long enough. You could also make that the souls of whichever enemies he kills with it go to the demon he made the pact with, who will in turn empower the sword the more pleased with the warlock he is (and viceversa, you could always make the sword loose power if he ever dissapoints its patron).

underrated

>Shadows dance within the razor-sharp ice that embrace the runic blade of this ominous sword.
Rime, +1 Greatsword
• Frostbite: Attacks with this weapon deal an additional 1d6 cold damage, and reduces the movement speed of the victim by 10 feet on their next turn.
• Howling Wind: You may use your Mystic Arcanum to cast Cone of Cold instead of the selected spell.
• Shatter: On a critical hit, the weapon deals an additional 4d6 cold damage as the ice shatters, replacing the Frostbite property with the Nightfall property. After a full night, or if the weapon is subject to harsh cold, this change is reverted as the blade becomes encased in ice once again.
• Nightfall: The weapon deals an additional 2d6 necrotic damage, and may be used to strike at any enemy within 60 feet as long as they are covered in shadows. Additionally, Cone of Cold deals necrotic damage instead and uses 10-sided dice when cast through the Howling Winds feature.

OP here, i see a lot of D&D posts, it helps because i can totally rework anything into my system. but dont feel like you have to limit yourself to just stuff from D&D

thanks again by the way, it really does help

I had an idea for an ice weapon that got bigger as you cut up enemies as it froze their blood to the blade.

Frostmourne takes the souls of those it's used to kill, making the wielder stronger and more potent in necromantic efforts the more it consumes.

It also provides a good potential guilt-trip for when its wielder gets dog-piled by 25 murderhobos so that all their victims can say Ha Ha Sux To Be You.

>Absolute Zero +1 cold, +1 necrotic damage per previous hit landed on the same target.
>+ character lvl or ability score bonus to diplomacy, coercion, intimidation or deception with entities whose powers or faith are aligned with that of the weapon or wielder.
>Fire Immunity.
>Temperature lowers 1 degree (F, C, or K) per 10 enemies slain by it nearby. Wielder and long-time associates are immune, but adversaries are afflicted as per environmental cold within proximity.
>Long cooldown Gate to and from the realm of the Winter Court Fae; % chance of being caught by the Court's enforcers and owing a favor to the Queen of Air and Darkness for your trespassing. The shorter the distance, the lower the %.
>Concealment or Stealth bonuses in dark illumination or absent of any illumination, while gaining Lifesense or Heatsense/Infravision.
>Fort Save or Physical Test to avoid being Slowed, either in movement or action economy; Deadlands card-hand initiative might treat all cards drawn as 1 face or number lower, minimum 2.
>Weapon deals bonus non-lethal damage, requiring a physical test of some sort with the difficulty set at 1/2 the damage dealt or else be fatigued or gain a level of fatigue, stacking toward exhaustion and unconsciousness on successive failed saves.

Underrated in which way, retardation and lack of lore knowledge?

Sorry my joke triggered your 'tisms, user. I'm aware Arthas didn't have Frostmorne until well after the culling.

it's a demonic pact right? so have the sword be cool but come with esoteric drawbacks.

>deals increased frost damage but only after noticeably dimming/putting out nearby lights sources
>the blade slows the metabolism of the wielder, meaning they require less food and rest (maybe represent this as an additional FORT bonus), but their athletic ability is stunted (maybe when the sword is used to boost FORT, it simultaneously weakens the PC's REF and Initiative)
>this blade is not enchanted with cold so much as it is a physical representation of the concept cold. you might consider playing with related concepts (e.g., entropy)

>whimsy

Whimsy is for boring, give me grimdark please.

You could have it so that every creature slain with the blade has its magical energy/soul drained into the blade, charging its magical powers.

What are its magical powers? It creates a symbiotic relationship between the player and the weapon since the weapon is actually a liches Phylactory, lending the user the ability pierce spell resistance, but also cast undead related spells.

You can tell how much charge the sword has based on how many runes are glowing along the blade. You could have it hold, I don't know, 15 charges max, but grants you access to various undead related spells. The wielder knows the spells because of the symbiotic relationship with the weapon, it has a sort of telepathic/metaphysical binding.

youtube.com/watch?v=IU513suJZzY

what are you doing here?

Every idea I had was already posted. So just pick some of these you dumb OP. Let us end this thread.

This OP. Make it so whenever its draw, it HAS to kill something. Since its demonic and thirsty for blood/souls

I'm probably set, but other people are still benefiting from it. lets keep this thread going until 150!

plus who doesn't want shitty photoshops?

Anyone hit by it is chilled. Their movement reduced by ten feet and cannot make opportunity attacks against the weilder until their next turn

It should have a tradeoff, if its a demonic/dark kinda weapon

But it should totally drain health, allow the user to create illusions, and give some ice spells. The artifact destruction should require some kind of divine fire weapon.

did someone say shitty photoshops?

Stay with me, I'm stealing here

Not OP, but I'm stealing this.

castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Void_Sword