2000AD - Nemesis the Warlock 4

SLEEP IS NO REFUGE FOR IMPURE THOUGHTS!

There comes a time in every alien Warlock revolutionary’s life when compromises need to be made. Compromises like breaking your archenemy out of a stable time loop in which they burn to death for all eternity, in order to stop your grief-crazed, time travelling son from destroying reality by crashing a black hole and a white hole together. It might also involve travelling into the distant future of earth and confronting the demon your archenemy accidentally created when they burned an entire race of peaceful psychics for fuel oil.

Nemesis the Warlock is a 2000AD series that is filled to bursting with mad ideas that 40k shamelessly stole from. Along with the ABC Warriors, a series about ancient PTSD ravaged warbots with which it crosses over, it is one of the longest running and best-loved of all the classic British comic’s properties.

Previous Thread
BOOK ONE: THE WORLD OF TERMITE and BOOK TWO: THE ALIEN ALLIANCE BOOK THREE: THE WORLD OF NEMESIS and the first half of BOOK FOUR: THE GOTHIC EMPIRE (You)
Second half of Book Four, BOOK FIVE: THE VENGEANCE OF THOTH and the first half of BOOK SIX: TORQUEMURDER! >OP portrait of Torquemada by Dave Kendall, artist and co-creator of Dreams of Deadworld and Fall of Deadworld.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Hopkins
youtube.com/watch?v=98gzk6VSzfU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chivington
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre
mediafire.com/file/d1s54hpb24qu3s3/2000AD_-_Nemesis_The_Warlock_Book_VI_-_Torquemurder.cbr
youtube.com/watch?v=9Rlb427v8Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw
mediafire.com/file/p77qk7ccfx4gz3x/62.2000AD_#520-524_Nemesis_the_Warlock_-_Torquemada_the_God.cbr
youtube.com/watch?v=LHbpvY1rk6s
soundcloud.com/first-appearance/38-interview-with-writer-pat-mills-punisher-2099-ravage-2099-requiem-vampire-knight
youtube.com/watch?v=ifPt8JP9xbk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Last page

Mek-Quake articulating Pat Mills' views on superheroes with his usual clarity.

Found the Australian terminator.

"I roll to persuade"

"Give me a child until the age of seven and I will give you the man" is a maxim of the Jesuit order of Catholic priests. Mills grew up Catholic, and was taught by priests at a boy's school which has since made headlines because of the abuse performed by the monks.

While Mills has taken down his essays on how one monk in particular inspired Torquemada he has written movingly on the subject elsewhere.

Matthew Hopkins, the so-called Witch Finder General, was a real person, and almost solely responsible for the image of the brutal puritan witch-hunter entering popular consciousness. During his active career between 1644 and 1647 he was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of women, and his book, The Discovery of Witches, helped spread the panic to North America.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Hopkins
(its an interesting topic, I can find better book references than a wiki link if anyone is interested)

Hopkins life was also made into an excellent Hammer Horror movie with Vincent Price in the lead role
youtube.com/watch?v=98gzk6VSzfU

Its a bit dated now, but still well worth watching.

Perfection.

John Chivington was also a real person.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Chivington
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Creek_massacre

>An estimated 70–163 peaceful Cheyenne and Arapaho – about two-thirds of whom were women, children, and infants – were killed and mutilated by his troops. Chivington and his men took scalps and other body parts as battle trophies, including human fetuses and male and female genitalia.*
>*ref: United States Congress Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War, 1865 (testimonies and report)

The history books would have you believe that he died of cancer in 1894, but we know differently.

Pat Mills run on Punisher 2099 was actually incredible.

END OF BOOK SIX.
mediafire.com/file/d1s54hpb24qu3s3/2000AD_-_Nemesis_The_Warlock_Book_VI_-_Torquemurder.cbr

At this point, Nemesis and the ABC Warriors diverged back into separate strips but continued running side-by-side as part of a larger single plot, with Nemesis Book Six: The Two Torquemadas following the Warlock and Purity, while the 'bots continued their mission in The Black Hole. For the moment we'll be focussing on Nemesis' part, but Tau willing we'll get to do both.

It really is gloriously daft and so delightfully insincere about its premise. I can't remember where I heard it first, but I distinctly recall a story that when Mills did the traditional Britcomic thing and went to the US to make money he got terribly bored very, very quickly. At one point he was in a meeting with other writers, editors and artists to do something with Carnage and he fell asleep!

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of 2000AD, let's see what the Grandmaster got up to in

TORQUEMADA THE GOD!

It really works on the kind of OTT vigilante comic it is though. There are some really good plot ideas and absolutely hilarious moments in it.

It's almost hard not to root for him, here.

Poor Great Uncle Baal

Stallas = Dallas, a popular soap opera that aired on CBS from April 2, 1978, to May 3, 1991. Huge phenomenon in the UK at this time.

youtube.com/watch?v=9Rlb427v8Sk

>witchfinder general

youtube.com/watch?v=XCywGhHQMEw

I'm having some problems at my end, bear with me.

Same inspiration source with added tabloid jernalism.

I love that Terminator in the fourth panel. I actually didn't realise until earlier today he's on the second page with his friend here as well

I wonder what determines who gets to wear the death mask and who gets to wear the pointy hood.

To refresh, Brother Mikron went berserk at the end of Book Four, the Gothic Empire, after Torquemada's custom made alien Frankenstein body mutated under stress . This present version of Torquemada was taken from a much earlier point in time (probably around here ) by Thoth, Nemesis' son, so that he could be trapped in an endless loop of being burned alive. Nemesis broke him out of that, and should have put him back to that point in order to ensure that the time paradoxes don't destroy reality, but is more concerned with finding Thoth and getting vengeance on humanity as a whole. The events of The Gothic War have happened to some of the characters but not all of them and Oh God I've gone cross-eyed.

It only gets more confusing from here.

>there is no longer a nip in the air

Edwin Munday isn't a UK Prime Minister... yet.

Coming Soon:

NEMESIS THE WARLOCK - BOOK SEVEN: THE TWO TORQUEMADAS!

mediafire.com/file/p77qk7ccfx4gz3x/62.2000AD_#520-524_Nemesis_the_Warlock_-_Torquemada_the_God.cbr

I agree, but you never lose the undercurrent of mild contempt Mills has for the whole enterprise. His Marshal Law, again with Kev O'Neil, is very similar but even more violent.

The Marvel 2099 stories are actually surprisingly good throughout, Doom 2099 by John Francis Moore and Warren Ellis particularly.

I've not had time to go through all of it yet, but there's a really good interview with Pat Mills at the 2000AD 40th anniversary Thrill-Power Festival
youtube.com/watch?v=LHbpvY1rk6s

This podcast might have more details about his work for Marvel.
soundcloud.com/first-appearance/38-interview-with-writer-pat-mills-punisher-2099-ravage-2099-requiem-vampire-knight

And the 2000AD documentary "Future Shock" has tonnes of Mills material. I'll try to find a link, the whole thing is well worth watching if you have the time. Some truly shocking anecdotes, like how there's very little of the original artwork for some progs because the then owners either stole it or used to mop up a flood.
youtube.com/watch?v=ifPt8JP9xbk
Kevin O'Neil would rather have sex with a dead baboon's arse.

>#MBGA

BOOK SEVEN: THE TWO TORQUEMADAS

You have to go back further, Mein Fuehrer.

The art for this Book and the next was provided by John Hicklenton. Hicklenton originally found work for 2000AD after discovering that one of his friends at college was art-droid Ron Smith's daughter and drawing her a Judge Dredd Christmas card. After providing the art for early Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman "Future Shock" stories, more work failed to materialise. On the advice of his mother, Hicklenton telephoned Pat Mills directly and asked if there was anything he could do. That turned out to be this book of Nemesis. A working relationship developed from there, and the two remained friends for life, Hicklenton's challenging brand of brutal and grotesquely stylised imagery complementing Mills' anger and bizarre plots.

Hicklenton was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2000, aged 33. His struggles over the course of more than five years with the illness were documented in the film "Here's Johnny". The film premièred in 2008, and received plaudits from critics and medical professionals alike for its honest, brave and often humorous depiction of life with the illness. For the rest of his life, Hicklenton worked to raise the profile of MS in the UK and campaign for better help for sufferers and more funding for researchers.

Hicklenton died in March 2010 at a Dignatas clinic in Switzerland. His final work, 100 months, an apocalyptic parable full of beautiful yet disturbing imagery was published the day before he died.

Hicklenton's Nemesis is much more sinuous and organic than the edgy bio-mechanical dragon of O'Neil's art or the knight-in-costume of Redondo and Talbot

Concinnous: characterized by concinnity; elegant; harmonious; stylistically congruous. From the Latin concinnus (neatly arranged, elegant)

This is one of the most important episodes for Nemesis and what he learns explains some of his choices going forward.

BEHOLD! The primordial chainsword*!
|
|
|
|
*Maybe, possibly but definitely with some caveats. The first edition of 40k, Rogue Trader, was released in October 1987. The Two Torquemadas was in Progs 546 to 557, or 31st October, 1987 to 16th January, 1988. Both Nemesis and Rogue Trader must have been written quite some time in advance.