/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Von Winkelried Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/0827v9nhi65ynn9/Osprey - ELI 189 - European Medieval Tactics (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ltrrxb4d2bgkxpb/Osprey - MAA 094 - The Swiss at War 1300-1500.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jbnm8prrz1443g4/Osprey - MAA 166 - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500.pdf
mega.nz/#!3tdwwYBS!xNDK8tFRzViztZUugml19EQryUvx-qbdfi7VjkiSyXM
perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_28_54&products_id=1947&osCsid=kr7hv3mhqa0er0tlq5o7qrblh5
mega.nz/#!xPJi3TgR!kLi_0ZvPIPj4Jup8YP3d_uHsapZ5Y6aGkz0kOAu6lnI
youtube.com/watch?v=eM17XxzGdM0
tajima1.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=282517
mediafire.com/file/7b7g0wrct8elmt4/FoF - Classified.pdf
ebay.co.uk/sch/board$pete/m.html?item=192235415571&hash=item2cc21fa813:g:L1UAAOSw~XpZWNT8&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

July 9th in military history:

491 – Odoacer makes a night assault with his Heruli guardsmen, engaging Theoderic the Great in Ad Pinetam. Both sides suffer heavy losses, but in the end Theodoric forces Odoacer back into Ravenna.
660 – Korean forces under general Kim Yu-sin of Silla defeat the army of Baekje in the Battle of Hwangsanbeol.
1386 – The Old Swiss Confederacy makes great strides in establishing control over its territory by soundly defeating the Archduchy of Austria in the Battle of Sempach.
1701 – A Bourbon force under Nicolas Catinat withdraws from a smaller Habsburg force under Prince Eugene of Savoy in the Battle of Carpi.
1745 – French victory in the Battle of Melle allows them to capture Ghent in the days after.
1755 – The Braddock Expedition is soundly defeated by a smaller French and native American force in its attempt to capture Fort Duquesne in what is now downtown Pittsburgh.
1790 – The Swedish Navy captures one third of the Russian Baltic fleet.
1863 – The Siege of Port Hudson ends, giving the Union complete control of the Mississippi River.
1932 – The state of São Paulo revolts against the Brazilian Federal Government, starting the Constitutionalist Revolution.
1943 – The Allied invasion of Sicily soon causes the downfall of Mussolini and forces Hitler to break off the Battle of Kursk.
1944 – Operation Charnwood gives British and Canadian forces control of Caen north of the Odon and Orne rivers, as well as the Carpiquet airfield.
1944 – American forces take Saipan, bringing the Japanese archipelago within range of B-29 raids, and causing the downfall of the Tojo government.
1944 – Finland wins the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle ever fought in northern Europe. The Red Army withdraws its troops from Ihantala and digs into a defensive position, thus ending the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive.
1972 – The Troubles: In Belfast, British Army snipers shoot five civilians dead.

It is 631 years since the Battle of Sempach, fought between the forces of between the Duke of Austria Leopold III and the Old Swiss Confederacy. The battle was a decisive Swiss victory in which Duke Leopold and numerous Austrian nobles died. The victory helped turn the loosely allied Swiss Confederation into a more unified nation and is seen as a turning point in the growth of Switzerland.

During 1383-1384, the expansion of the Old Swiss Confederacy collided with Austrian interests. In 1385, there were various attacks, without formal declaration of war or central organization, by Confederation forces on several Austrian strongholds.

In January 1386, Lucerne expanded its sphere of influence by entering pacts with a number areas under Austrian control. This move was the immediate cause of war. A local Austrian force defeated the Confederate garrison at Meienberg, and Lucerne called the Confederacies for assistance. An armistice was called, but neither side had any interest in ending the conflict, and instead it escalated into a full-scale military confrontation.

Duke Leopold gathered his troops at Brugg, consisting of his feudal vassals, as well as mercenaries and the bourgeois forces of various towns. In the course of a few weeks, no less than 167 noblemen declared war on the Swiss. These declarations were sent to the Swiss diet in groups. On 24 June, a messenger brought 15 declarations of war. Before all letters had been read, another delivered eight, and before he had finished speaking, yet more were brought in. A further eight messengers arrived on the following day.

The gathering of Austrian forces suggested an intended attack on Zürich, and the Confederate forces moved to protect that city. But Leopold marched south, with the intention of ravaging the Lucerne countryside and perhaps ultimately the city itself. The Austrian army had a troop of mowers with them with the purpose of cutting down the corn and destroying the harvests along their route.

Leopold's men taunted those behind the walls of the town, and a knight waved a noose at them and promised them he would use it on their leaders. Another mockingly pointed to the soldiers setting fire to the ripe fields of grain, and asked them to send a breakfast to the reapers. From behind the walls, there was a shouted retort: "Lucerne and the allies will bring them breakfast!"

The Confederate troops marched back from Zürich once it became clear that this was not Leopold's target. The forces of Zürich had remained behind defending their own city, while those of Bern had not heeded the Confederate call for assistance.

The Confederation Army had assembled at the bridge over the Reuss River at Gisikon. It marched from there, hoping to catch Leopold still at Sempach where he could be pressed against the lake. Around noon, the two armies made contact about 2 km outside of Sempach. This was to the mutual surprise of both armies, which were both on the move and not in battle order. But both sides were willing to engage and formed ranks.

The Swiss held the wooded high ground. Since the terrain was not deemed suitable for a cavalry attack, Leopold's knights dismounted, and because they did not have time to prepare for the engagement, they were forced to cut off the tips of their poulaines which would have hindered their movement on foot. The Swiss chroniclers report how a huge pile of these shoe-tips was found in a heap after the battle.

The main body of the Confederation army finally completed its deployment from the marching column, formed up, and attacked the knights from the flank aggressively. The Austrian force formed a wide rank and threatened to surround the outnumbered Confederates.

How and at what point the battle turned in favour of the Confederates is a matter of debate. In any case, the Swiss did break through the Austrian ranks and routed the enemy army completely. Duke Leopold and with him a large number of nobles and knights were slain.

Traditional Swiss historiography since the 16th century has attributed the turning of the tide to the heroic deed of Arnold von Winkelried, who opened a breach in the Habsburg lines by throwing himself into their pikes, taking them down with his body so that the confederates could attack through the opening. Winkelried is usually explained as a legendary figure introduced to explain the Swiss victory against the odds, perhaps as late as a full century after the battle. The earliest evidence of the Winkelried legend is the depiction of the battle in the Lucerne Chronicle of 1513. The oldest accounts of the battle are unambiguous in the judgement that the Swiss victory was against all odds and expectations, and is attributed to the grace of God.

Not without justification, the Battle of Sempach came to be seen as the decisive turning point between the foundation of the confederacy as a loose pact in the 14th century, and its growth into a significant political and military power during the 15th century. At the peak of the military success of the Eight Cantons in the period of 1470 to 1510, Swiss historiography paid great attention to the Battle of Sempach. It is depicted in the Swiss illustrated chronicles of the period, and discussed by Reformation era historiographers such as Aegidius Tschudi and Wernher Steiner. Since there are few historiographical accounts of the battle predating 1470, it is difficult to judge the historicity of the individual details.

Sempach is a bloody and closely-fought battle, representing a shift in medieval warfare, and is definitely worth a turn on the tabletop.

mediafire.com/download/0827v9nhi65ynn9/Osprey - ELI 189 - European Medieval Tactics (2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/ltrrxb4d2bgkxpb/Osprey - MAA 094 - The Swiss at War 1300-1500.pdf
mediafire.com/download/jbnm8prrz1443g4/Osprey - MAA 166 - German Medieval Armies 1300-1500.pdf

>Not terribly familiar with the French overall, presuming I used them for 1917-1918 Foreign legion and they had Berthiers instead of Lebels what inaccuracies would prevent me from using French minis for late ww1 and early ww2?

Reservist and second-line units in 1940 would be largely indistinguishable from their comrades in 1914. Assuming your opponents are not utter pedants with an encyclopedic knowledge of the French Army, you should be fine.

>those fucking eyes

What drives people to ruin their works with them?

I had a look at the Ostfront rules and it looks like it could make for some fun, comfy tank on tank action. What other rule sets would you fellows recommend for purely tank battles? I'd like to compare them.

You could also look at Rapid Fire. It works really well in 1/72 which is great with all the models avaliable in that scale.

Thanks. I didn't see it in any of the OP links (maybe I missed it), but I was able to find this pdf.

We should have the 2E in the WW2/Games folder
Here's a Mega link otherwise:
mega.nz/#!3tdwwYBS!xNDK8tFRzViztZUugml19EQryUvx-qbdfi7VjkiSyXM

Thanks amigo. I missed it when I was looking for it but now I see it is there.

Gonna try out a bit of Combat Search and Rescue in Slicks and Snakes later today so I should have an AAR up for you guys later tonight or tomorrow.

US forces:
- 2x Cobra gunships
- 2x Cayuse recon ships
- 1x Huey Slick
- 3x downed pilots

VC forces:
2x 23mm AA guns
4x DShK HMGs
3x Weapons squads
6x Rifle squads.

That's definitely what Ostfront was designed for. It started as tank on tank on the eastern front - a fun way to battle the 1/72 miniatures we could find at local toy stores. The ranges suit 15mm or 10mm better though.

Fuck I got annoyed by those rules calling a 39 -model group a "battalion". Like if you're making rules for a historical wargame, could you please research even for 10 seconds to find out how many people are in a battalion or a company. 39 men is a fucking platoon or a half-dead company.

The Constitutionalist Revolt in Brazil is very interesting, actually. Richest, most populous, most developed state in a country alongside sone separatist rebels versus the rest of the country. São Paulo is also marshy highlands, so it can get quite tough.

According to them each figure represents 15 guys and each vehicle represents 5.

Are you simply unaware of the concept of scaling?

That pdf didnt seem to mention the figures representing more than one guy though. I'm not familiar with the ruleset otherwise.

Also it's very common for the layman to be confused about military organization names and sizes of units. It's just so wrong to call a few dudes a "division" for example. That happened with a streamer playing stell division normandy, and he just kept calling his sections of brits "divisions". I couldn't watch, just kave me such childish vibes.

Like, I know it's not a crime to not know those things and it's not the worlds end. It just annoys me.

Is Rapid fire played on a map then, instead of to-scale terrain? In that case i understand the models are being used as markers for units. Otherwise it would still piss me off.

Disclaimer: I am completely aware of my total autism. We're on Veeky Forums after all.

WW2 Plane game incoming from Warlord, apparently.

Is there something wrong with my banter, chaps?

It makes any kind of figure good playing Ctulhu games where madness got to them after they've seen a various amount of demons.

This... is way too tempting.

Thanks mate! That's what it seemed, though even reservists would be wearing the brown and not the blue-grey right? So my 1917 French would have to be foreign legion or other Colonials.

>now we'll have German plastic planes

Great. I love how they hyped the fuck out of Sea Lion but practically released, and then forgot about P&S: ECW.

Muh colored brother, I completely understand and share your autism.

It's just so damn annoying when you're trying to watch a movie or play a game and somebody calls a group of four motherfuckers a "platoon". Youtubers are absolutely guilty of this too, I can't recall how many times I've seen and heard supposedly serious people call a force of less than a hundred models a "battalion".

I mean, is it any surprise?
Way more people know and care about WWII than the P&S era. Most non-Europeans don't even know the P&S era existed. Even then, it's not hard to find an Italian who knows the history of conflict as being Romans-Knights-Napoleon-Mussolini. They skip over P&S shit in most popular culture.

I think we in the hobby underestimate exactly how shallow the average person's depth of historical knowledge might be.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place for obscurity. I just bought a set of French Indochina figures. But Warlord is trying to market to the potential GeeDubs/Non-grog consumer. They want new blood, and new blood likes Nahtzees much more than Parliamentarians.

Then why even release it if they don't give a shit about it? The ECW is big in Englad as I understand - same with VBCW, which got shitton of new stuff, and unlike that, the ECW actually happened.

As for Europe, the Thirty Years War was like the biggest and most colourful war up to date. Lots of various nations, colorful uniforms, tactics that range from basically ancients to pike and shot with everything inbetween. Yet, all we got are three generic boxes. Given their recent somewhat mini-sprue-ish approval to their Napoleonics, it could REALLY work for P&S. Cuirassiers, Dragoons/Harquebusiers, one small sprue of 3-4 figures and the generic renaissance horse sprue...

Also, fucking FINALLY they release their landsknecht. Shame I basically lost interest in them by now.

Anyone got a source on bazaar/market-stall type terrain in 15mm?

Bonus points if it looks like it would fit in with a shanty/slum-like area.

>Is Rapid fire played on a map then, instead of to-scale terrain? In that case i understand the models are being used as markers for units. Otherwise it would still piss me off.
Figure ratios, ground scales, and time scales are a long and groggy tradition. It's shitty designers who handwave that away who are ruining the hobby.* 1:1 figure ratio is a terrible thing in most wargames, and idiots who don't stop to consider ground scale are the fucking worst. Yes, well done, you've built a ruleset where no-one can fire from one end of pegasus bridge to the other, why have you done this.
by ruining the hobby I mean often creating fun and cool rulesets to play with your toy soldiers

You know I always wondered why we didn't have X-wing WWII or WWI edition.

>tfw can't tell if trolling or just missed the WW1/WW2 air combat games X-Wing was directly based on

>tfw comment on someone's post but forget to include the second line, telling the other user that the game in question was wings of war/wings of glory (it got renamed at some point?) so they can look it up
>tfw tfw

I was reading on Wikipedia about those French foreign legion sappers with their massive axes and mustaches and thought to myself that I'd like to paint some of those. Where can I get models of such units? 28 mm preferably. I can only find Warlords but I think they're a bit gorilla'ey

Perry

perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_28_54&products_id=1947&osCsid=kr7hv3mhqa0er0tlq5o7qrblh5

They have a couple of sets with them btw, the one I linked is hardly the only one.

You da man, man

None of this made any sense to me, until I read Charles Grant's The War Game.
About half-way through, he explains that the table scale of 10 yards to 1 inch (so he can have a big battle on a small table) plus the fact that a real Prussian batallion was 125 yards along the front, means that a table batallion has to have as many toy soldiers as fit in 12.5"

It all makes perfect sense, but no other book I've read bothers to explain it.

>and I still hate looking at 12 models and trying to imagine 570 men in 3 ranks

Whipped up a quick map for Slicks and Snakes' first outing. Dense green stippling indicates heavy cover, light stippling indicates lighter cover. The dark brown area indicates the low ground flanking the river. The river requires infantry and weapons bases to use half their movement to cross, and the square paddy fields force all infantry and weapons bases to move at half speed while in them.

The 3 US Pilots must escape the battlefield in the back of the Slick.

Charlie's objective is to either kill or capture the pilots and drive off the CSAR operation.

Orders of Battle at the start of the scenario were as follows:

B Troop "Scalphunters"; 7th Squadron, 17th Air Cavalry
>1x AH-1G w/ 2x M200 FFAR pods (Hi-Ex), 2x M158 FFAR pods (WP) - Callsign Badger 1-1
>1x OH-6A w/ M27 minigun pod - Callsign Badger 1-2
>1x AH-1G w/ 2x M200 FFAR pods (Hi-Ex), 2x M158 FFAR pods (WP) - Callsign Bushpig 1-1
>1x OH-6A w/ M27 minigun pod - Callsign Bushpig 1-2
>1x UH-1H - Callsign Bandicoot 1

>Pilot, Co-Pilot and Crew Chief of UH-1H, Callsign Baboon 2-4

231st Main Force Battalion, Viet Cong Guerrillas
>2x ZPU-4 AAA Batteries
>4x DShKM HMG Batteries
>6x Viet Cong Guerrilla Squads
>3x Viet Cong Heavy Weapons Squads

I can't be arsed to buy and assemble and paint a few hundred square based dudes who are particular to this setting which is famous for having confused, tacticless battles and where protracted sieges could win wars.

On the other hand I could pick up a handful of tiny manz and have a blast playing Major Mannering vs. The Submarine Crew. That would be fun and I wouldn't give them your name, Pike!

I'm all for autism, but some settings just suck for some scales. 28mm Pike & Shotte is one of those.

>Deployment
The US deploys within 6" of their board edge, divided into two teams. One on the left flank, closest to the crash site, consisting of Badger 1-1, Badger 1-2 and Bandicoot 1. Bushpig 1-1 and Bushpig 1-2 start on the right flank to cover the rescue attempt. The crew of Baboon 2-4 deploy adjacent to the crash site.

The VC have ability to deploy much further forward than the US forces. The DShKM batteries anchor the far left of the battle line, flanked by a group of two infantry squads and a heavy weapons squad, with a final group of the two ZPU-4 batteries, two heavy weapons squads and the remaining infantry squad on the far right.

>US Turn 1
After winning the roll for 1st turn, the US helicopters shriek into the AO. Deployed in two hunter-killer pairs, Badger and Bushpig lead the charge with Bandicoot bringing up the rear. The front-running Cayuse recon ships drop down to the Nape of the Earth while the heavily loaded Cobras climb to high altitude, eyes raking the jungle canopy for signs of the enemy. Bandicoot chugs along behind, dropping in behind Badger 1-2, ready to swoop down and pick up the precious cargo.

In the jungle, weighed down with survival gear, radios and M16 rifles, the crewmen of Baboon 2-4 scramble away from the blazing wreckage, frantically radioing their position to the approaching helicopters.

All five helicopter pilots are unable to spot anything through the steaming canopy.

With no targets to fire at, the turn passes to Charlie.

>VC Turn 1
The VC advance in line abreast, still anchored by the DShKMs on the left. The unwieldy HMG's will soon be in position to cover the crash site and any viable landing zones nearby. Sneaking along the dry river gulch, three central guerrilla infantry squads position themselves to cut off the pilot's escape route and vector small arms fire onto the incoming helicopters. On the right flank, gunners crank the quad-barreled ZPU-4s skyward while their escorting infantry push forward.

The ZPU gunners manage to spot the sleek silhouettes of Bushpig 1-1 and Bushpig 1-2, but the olive-drab gunships are still well beyond weapon range.

Down over the canopy, the darting shapes of Badger 1-2 and Bandicoot are shielded from the prying eyes of the DShKM teams and their attending infantry. Circling like a buzzard at high altitude, Badger 1-1 is easily picked out by the sharp-eyed Charlies.

Despite spotting most of the inbound Americans, the VC are unable to capitalize on this early success due to the relatively short ranges of their weapons.

they already seem to have forgotten about sealion, it would have made more sense to release all the minis/supplements first then do the campaign but now you have the second wave coming out as it starts, not to mention they are already gearing up for the bolt action new guinea book with a big aussie release.

I have to say...I don't give a shit about ANOTHER new mini game....its like these guys have adhd, id rather they just stuck to the franchises they have or better yet released some for the arsenal miniatures/bolt action stuff the previewed TWO YEARS AGO.

Keep going user!

also does anyone give a fuck about some of the games? terminator genesis they were practically giving away, and antares while gaining ground still isn't big, and the doctor who game just feels like a failure, haven't seen any hype for it and the minis are both an unpopular scale and for the most part, practically unconvertable...so its just a bunch of people all playing with the same statuettes with paint jobs of varying quality.

On the topic of ECW, i'm actually surprised that we didn't see more considering how it is the owners favorite and the owner clearly decided what gets priority.

Any ideas as to a good system for mercenary tank adventures?

>inb4 Ostfront

> or better yet released some for the arsenal miniatures/bolt action stuff the previewed TWO YEARS AGO.

they were supposed to release the never-manufactured Immortal miniatures plastic persians, what, six years ago?

Ree, my friends. Ree.

Non 1:1 representation and different scaling of miniatures and map trigger me too.

Also, that stupid fucking argument for arty being on the table in FoW saying that it's some sort of space magic scaling and those units are actually kilometers behind and not chilling out in an orchard 100 away from the battle.

For a more campaign oriented/small-scale game I'd actually recommend Twilight 2000.
For a larger scale, I dunno, maybe FFT?

What's the ground scale in this game?
The ZPU has an 8000m range, and the DsHKM 2000m effective range.

Even if the enemy is outside of their effect range, they would still likely funnel fire into the area, possibly giving the US the willies (are there morale checks for vehicle crews in this game?)

Helicopters are large, noisy targets and the VC should pretty much always know where they are. If its a crash site the US are after, the VC would be all over that crash site, set up waiting to cover it. Looking at the map those ZPUs and heavy weapons should be engaging the US helis straight away from turn 1 through the open ground. If your ground scale is very small though that would make more sense that they dont.

Oye, lads, just finished editing FoF - Classified PDF. So how do I
1. Know that the PDF is safe to share/doesn't have any incriminating breadcrumbs?
2. Upload it for you fine gents?

Do you want a game where 3 or 4 people control a single tank?

Tank duel is kind of fun looking for this, but it doesn't really cover the in-depth damage and resupply stuff you'd want for a mercenary adventure. With a good DM / GM I'm sure they could homebrew that up.

1. Make sure your name isn't printed on the pages anywhere ie as a watermark
2. Pop it on a free and anonymous file host - perhaps ask in the PDF share thread if you don't already have one

>tacticless battles
>Wallenstein and Adolph Gustav

>28mm Pike&Shotte sucks in 28mm
>not wanting to play Mount&Blade on the tabletop

>terminator genesis
Tbh it has a really solid ruleset. I'll try to scan the quickstart rules, but after reading it, I really like it, and it seemed that it was originally meant to be a more universal system as it has "bow" in the weapon selection - hardly a useful weapon against endoskeletons, but if you wanted to play zombie games, it could work.

I know it's not /hwg/ but someone on this board mentioned an upcoming fantasy skirmish game from warlord, has anyone heard anything similar?

The ground scale is 1" to 100m, giving the DShKM a range of 20". Regarding the ZPU, I've seen effective ranges listed anywhere from 1400m to 5000m so I picked a middle ground of 30".

Spotting helicopters at high altitude is incredibly easy, it gets slightly more difficult depending on distance and altitude. The spotting system is an abstraction of visually identifying the target and interpreting it's exact position.

Speculative fire is definitely going into the game, as will a morale system.

That's a pretty small ground scale. What scale miniatures do you plan to have it played with? That kind of ground scale might work better with markers rather than miniatures. Even 6mm would be a bit large to comfortably handwave that ground scale. (A rifle being able to actually hit something no further than 1" or up to 3 to 5" for a maximum effective range of an AK or M16.)
Obviously miniature scale and ground scale won't be the same, but for example Hind and Seek uses 1" = 20m for 6mm minis and even then that's on the small side for a ground scale, with a rifle firing about half as far as it would in a 1:1 ground to miniature scale.

Implementing real life weapon ranges into a tabletop game is a real challenge - best of luck to you!

I was shooting for 6mm figures on 20mm bases. It's pushing the envelope a bit, but I felt that 1"-100m gave the best ratio for movement and weapon ranges etc.

>Also, that stupid fucking argument for arty being on the table in FoW saying that it's some sort of space magic scaling and those units are actually kilometers behind and not chilling out in an orchard 100 away from the battle.
That's generally a symptom of the kind of designers who don't think about figure ratios and scaling and just handwave everything, because they're coming from strict 1:1 where they don't have to think about that stuff.

Ground scale should be different from figure scale unless you're literally playing a tiny street gang skirmish, and time scale should always be considered.

>Any ideas as to a good system for mercenary tank adventures?
If you're really keen check out Phoenix Command's tank system

>So my 1917 French would have to be foreign legion or other Colonials.
They would be perfect for Colonial troops in North Africa etc, yes.

What's the time scale for a turn? it would take a man a while to move 100m through dense jungle, even 100m in open ground. If your infantry are moving more than 1" at a time it would take even longer...

It might be better to abstract the air speeds vs the ground speeds - give infantry and aircraft a move that "feels right" on the table. Likewise it might be worth having a telescoping range scale rather than a strict 1" = x metres system. You could reduce longer ranges and increase lower ranges so things feel right on the tabletop.

How far can an average assault rifle fire in this game? without a scope you'd be hard pressed to hit anything beyond 100m, with 50m being comfortable for a man sized target. Beyond 100m you're only really going to be suppressing the enemy and maybe getting a lucky hit every now and then.
300m - the "effective range" of an AK is really a bit far to actually hit something without a scope, as is the 500m "effective range" of an M16.
From my hunting experience, firing at 300m even with an excellent scope, it was still difficult to hit a man-sized target exactly where you wanted. I tried for a head shot on a goat at about that range and ended up missing the clean kill but blowing the jaw off instead. Provided a sniper would be far more familiar with their weapon and easily able to pull off a head shot at that range (this was my first time firing that specific .308), but it shows that ranges beyond 100m are difficult to get hits at without a scope, even when you're taking your time and carefully aiming - which isn't usually the case in the heat of combat.

Movement has already been a bit abstracted, aircraft are moving at reasonably realistic airspeed, informed by their cruising speed broken down into m/s. I've been rounding up a bit to keep things fun but I there's a little bit of thought to keep things consistent.

Infantry movement has been really abstracted, otherwise they'd literally moving at 1" per turn. An infantry squad moves 4", weapons bases are a little slower depending on weight.

Weapons fire from infantry represents the whole squad blazing away on automatic at a distant target, the ground scale doesn't really take individual marksmanship into account. M16 rifles have a range of 6". The damage system puts greater weight on pinning with the odd chance of doing damage. Infantry combat in this game is about pinning and suppression, the damage dealers are artillery and aircraft.

does Ostfront-user have an "official" email address?

You can email me at:
[email protected]
I do have an "official" [email protected] address as well but its forwarded to my regular email and I tend to reply from my regular email anyway.

just leave questions here and he WILL answer

I might have been interested in the terminator game if it was t2 styled but the genisis film and style where crap so that killed any interest I had.

Are there any classic books on game design that you guys would recommend to someone who has played tabletop for most of their life, but never sat down to think about the nuts and bolts behind the games? I finally settled my ADD riddled mind on a period but I feel like, while I can recognize when a game is fun, I still lack the ability to explain HOW it is fun.

Little Wars.

H.G. Wells's tale of developing what's basically the original miniature wargame (rather than military simulation) covers a lot of still relevant things.

HE ALREADY HAS!

OK, grogs

mega.nz/#!xPJi3TgR!kLi_0ZvPIPj4Jup8YP3d_uHsapZ5Y6aGkz0kOAu6lnI

Force on Force - Classified. My first scan!

You legend. thanks user

Hi all,

Does anyone here have experience trying to do miniature wargaming with Tabletop Simulator on Steam? I can't seem to find any info online or otherwise about how it can be done, if at all.

I have. Never really played anything, tho.

Just watch the tutorial in the game.

What exactly do you not find?

There are tutorials on youtube for almost everything, from adding single items together to an army, to set up tables etc.

The steam workshop offers tons and tons of historical (and other) miniatures and vehicles to use.

I can only find 40k/X-Wing stuff on youtube, unless that's what you're suggesting I refer to.

And is there any way to determine scale/dimensions of the table? Obviously I have had little experience with this program so far.

The "game" has all tools necessary available. Rulers, calculator, dice etc. You select what you need and then draw a line with your mouse to see the distance for example.

I have not much experience but i managed to play a game of Bolt Action against a buddy.

I used this video as my main guide and picked some "starter armies" and other BA related stuff like a map etc from the steam workshop.

youtube.com/watch?v=eM17XxzGdM0

I hope it gets uploaded!

>we will never get the original plastic Pro Gloria landsknecht due to Warlord greed

Ok. I look for autistically complicated rulestet for wild west shootout, so 2 figures on 2 figues would be a viable game.

Boot Hill was not yet threre, and our depository only has LoTW. I heard about Once Upon A Time in The West and Old West Gunfight 1816-1900?

Is there other west than the one for beer and pretzels?

Oh boy, WW2 plane game #189382, how exciting, can't wait, I'm sure it's going to be original

>somewhere deep inside
>something's got a hold on you

Phoenix Command has a western supplement IIRC

Bumpin' across the Rhine

Someone had posted an ebay shop that they liked for getting grass tufts and the like for basing. Guy was based out of the UK and had a stand alone site as well. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

Was it Tajima?

tajima1.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=282517

It was, thanks user.

OV-1

Thanks heaps user, this is one that I always wanted to see. Added to folders.
mediafire.com/file/7b7g0wrct8elmt4/FoF - Classified.pdf

5mm Samurai clans with cherry blossom tree
From Lord Ashram's blog

>5mm
Whoops I meant 6 of course
Me no the brain today

Now I just have to do Fallujah and Bushwars. Anyone have tips on how to make a stand for a smartphone to quickly photograph books? Don't want to fuck up any more of them with the scanner

So what is the kit they just released?

Like half of the stuff or less than what Pro Gloria got sculpted for it.

Also, one entire musket arm per sprue, wow. You can't even make them in two lines, which is a damn shame...it'd need just a second pair of arms holding the musket at rest and I'd have no objections. Also hoping for a second maybe third set with Greatswords, halberds and crossbows.

>guy on ebay has Pony Wars among few other old rulesets
>is adamant against sending it abroad
>I'm not a Brit

Damn. Well if someone can buy it and scan/resell them to me I would be really gratefull.

ebay.co.uk/sch/board$pete/m.html?item=192235415571&hash=item2cc21fa813:g:L1UAAOSw~XpZWNT8&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Maybe we'll get a new set in 2020 since Warlord needs to release more Bolt Action... I'm not sure why Warlord purchases so many companies for different settings when Bolt Action is their main source of income. In my opinion they expanded too fast everywhere meaning we get mainly Bolt Action with little else sprinkled through the year.

They are like the Caesar/Miniknight of 28mm historicals. Lots of cool stuffs to work with, but it always comes down to WW2 Germans.