EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"The Hours Arrive" Edition

Previously RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: What upcoming (HOD, C17, Ixalan) thing are you most excited for and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karn-stax-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=irsrc4vnIN4
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/razaketh-test/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-07-17-ElB-marchesa/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Thread Question

Well, I got a couple boxes of HoD coming, so that should be fun. Ixalan looks great. I'm not super excited about C17 so far, but they've got more to reveal, so I guess we'll see.

>HOD
It's HOU!

should i buy a box?
i only want a few cards
but it could be fun

I really enjoy opening packs myself. So yes.

Opening boosters can be addicting.

Will we see Scarab God drop in price after release?

That's stupid and wizards should feel bad.

Depends on whether he sees standard play. If he becomes the next torrential gearhulk expect price to double or more.

i dont think thats a real possibility, all the gods are edh only i think

Then wait for people reaction how popular he will be, if he flops he'll fall down obviously

Kind of depends if commander 17 has a U/B zombie tribal deck or not.

Why don't you think he would be standard playable? He is only a 5 drop, doesn't die to conventional removal, and completely takes over a game when he hits the field.

The big question is if there will be a deck for him. Blue and black are getting a lot of tools to make him work as a control finisher, but whether it's enough depends on how the new meta shapes up.

>Thread Question

Well, I guess WOTC is doing silly and casual tribes for C17. If Selesnya can get cat tribal, I can only hope that I get fungus/thallid/plant tribal.

I only want this one thing, Wizards. If you give me this, I'll buy into standard as a thank you.

well the guy said "if he becomes the next torrential gearhulk", and i dont think thats likely.

not saying he wont see any standard play, just that i dont see him becoming a fixture in top 8 lists like torrential gearhulk

>the big question is if there will be a deck for him

right

>I was thinking Goblin Tribal Token Infinite Mana Burn, Swarm, and creature destruction.

if you aint spreading -1/-1 counters i dont see the point of playing him. like how does he benefit the channel fireball strategy in any way?

Is this guy the most Timmy hydra I've ever seen?

They did already print a shut-off valve.

umm, no sweetie

forgetting someone?

just give me fucking 5c slivers damn it, it's literally the quintessential MtG tribe

>implying Slivers will ever get anything again.

This art is fucking amazing.

core sets are on shandalar where current slivers are, right? and the sets will remain on shandalar right? r-right?

Bruh that is 4 mana removal in black, a color that has access to fatal push. Even if they did use slots in their sideboard for it, they are going against a color that has some playable counter magic this standard.

Getting rid of the card is a grim proposition. It's the rest of the deck that's in question. Other than Yahenni expertise and fatal push I am not sure what would be in the deck. New wizard that draws cards maybe?

Rhonas looks a bit silly.

>BLACKED

do you expect to see parter generals on cmd17?

I love it because it looks more like he is getting an awkward back rub.

>SCORPED

>now neither of us will be virgins

The face of his monument is also pretty great.

Some of the comments from Mythicspoiler regarding this card were pretty great.

>"I've never been with another God before. I'm nervous."
>"It's okay, so am I. We'll take it slow."

>Well, he DID get penetrated.

>*sees your stinger*
>OwO what's this?

RhooOohooHoOOHnas

>glomps you into exile zone uwu

How many cards of one type do you put in a deck before considering cards that only synergize with that type? I'm brewing a Taigam Tron deck with 18 artifacts currently and I'm thinking about putting in some Improvise cards like Reverse Engineer.

i dont understand the art, like did the scorpion god sneak up on him? despite being 40 ft tall?

how did he get behind him and what is he doing?

agreed, there's no conflict making it HOD it was dumb

Rhonas laid him out once, turned to see if the other gods were safe and immediately got pinned. The fucker's quick, and he immediately put his stinger through Rhonas' brain stem.

Except Progenitus is used in Legacy eureka. which is basically a green show and tell deck

Could any anons post some spice for an Anafenza the foremost +1 +1 counters matter?

so progenitus is too johnny/spike to be timmy?

Asking again, Krenko was suggested but are there any other ideas for what deck to give to my literally retarded brother?

i mean assuming you are actually serious here, retarded people cant play magic. maybe just give him a stack of cards with cool art he can look at

How retarded are we talking here

purphoros, so basicly also krenko?

Only if you want to waste money. The bulk of the power in this set is not really EDH stuff, and all the desert gimmicks at rare along with more shit aftermath makes it a pretty easy pass. Just order the singles you want and open something else.

On a seperate note I went to my LGS with some friends last night to play EDH during the prerelease for whatever reason (wasnt my idea), and at the end of the night the store owner's cat brought a dead rat into the store. Thought that was kinda funny.

He can read a card's type, mana cost, power and toughness, and gets simple effects like tapping for mana, plus some other ideas that we've gone over a few times like how phases work, but he's unlikely to ever really get how the stack works.
It's not an all that bad idea. Tokens don't have that many complicated interactions and it shouldn't be hard to teach him "add creature, everyone loses two"

depends, UB torment hurts like a bitch so far

Apparently product codes have to be unique across all of Hasbro.

It's still incredibly dumb.

DO NOT STEP ON SNEK

What's some good spice for this dude? I was thinking about adding paradox haze and training grounds

army of the damned maybe

Mono Omnath doesn't seem complicated
Duo Bruna is also simple
Skullbriar is dumbskull
Kresh, the bloodbraided timmy way

Depends on how you want to build him. Mirror mad Phantasm and lab man are both pretty cool together. Mesmeric orb is good.

If you are just building him zombie tribal just copy and paste and gisa and geralf deck with like 5 different cards though.

Good cheap creatures with ETB triggers.
Good card selection with self-mill or draw+discard.
The good zombie tribal cards.

Entomb ulamog, use his ability to exile ulamog, make a 4/4 indestructible zombie with annihilator 4 and indestructible.

Scratch one indestructible, I'm drunk or something.

Snek ded.

>tfw his pet hydra mourns for him

One of the great things about him: he synergizes with almost everything. He likes big mana (to eternalize more), Zombie tribal effects, Eternal Scourge/Misthollow Griffin, Eldrazi Processors (Particularly Oracle of Dust and Cryptic Cruiser), ETB effects, and anything that fills graveyards: Mass mill, discard (Your own or others), and forced sac.

Well as Timmy as you can get in mono green.

How many removal spells do you guys run? I'm at ten,and that's including boards wipes

including pic related. The set may have sucked, but damn! did BFZ have some good art

depends

if i'm playing a deck that wants to answer threats, i usually put in about 12-14 generic "answers" which can be tutors, spot removal, board wipes and stuff like that. so basically stuff that doesn't really advance your board state, just answer everyone else's board state.

other times i run virtually no real answers at all, and just focus on winning before anyone else does, like in my maelstrom deck

but then my toolbox sultai deck doesn't really do anything besides try to answer threats. i mean it can win if it wants to, but it's more fun to just answer threats and slowly dry people out.

Depends on how much you wanna try your luck on the Invocation Lottery.

This guy and yours are the two clear contenders in my mind.

ive been wanting to get into commander for a long time now but I just haven't had any idea of a deck or have had the resources to make a deck, but I finally want to do something. I want my commander to Razaketh, the Foulblooded from the new set because I just really like him. So, my question is, what sort of deck would I make for him? Any specific cards I should run so I can start slowly building into the deck?

Hmm, I'm in MUD so I'm not sure how many more good removal s I can get. If your 'average' is 12-14 then I might have to change my decks game plan

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/karn-stax-1/ for those interested

Check out EDHrec. You can even buy an average deck from Card Kingdom

Lol forgot he hasn't released yet. My bad

BIG MANA PACKAGE

Crypt Ghast
Magus of the Coffers
Nirkana Revenant
Extraplanar Lens
Gauntlet of Power
Caged Sun
Cabal Coffers + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

Now load it up with general Black Goodstuff and you'll be set.

youtube.com/watch?v=irsrc4vnIN4

Big mana + sac fodder + comboes is the obvious thing to do but I guess you can build him to be some kind of goodstuff/answers control also.

Here's some shit off the top of my mind, easy to work in good cards into it:
mana:
>Cabal Coffers (+ Vesuva, Thespian's Stage, Urborg, Expedition Map)
>Magus of the Coffers
>Crypt Ghast
>Nirkana Revenant
>Gilded Lotus
>Mind Stone/Hedron Archive/Dreamstone Hedron

Sac fodder:
>Bitterblossom
>Reassembling Skeleton
>Endrek Sahr
>also Skullclamp fuck yeah

Comboes:
>Sanguine Bond+Exquisite Blood
>Leyline of the Void+Helm of Obedience

Commanders are legal in format from the day of prerelease, and he has a page on EDHrec, just go to sets and choose from there.

Latching on to this I'm still looking for feedback for my razaketh deck. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/razaketh-test/

if you're in colorless then don't bother with shit like scour from existence. it's not worth it. just stick to board wipes and stuff like that

Scour has too much utility for me to ever cut it, plus mana product in is never a problem, so hitting 7 is pretty damn easy. Honestly brittle effigy is getting nixed as soon as I get around to ordering lux cannon

>Thread Question: What upcoming (HOD, C17, Ixalan) thing are you most excited for and why?
None because my favorite LGS is closing, Magic Online is shit and nobody plays Legacy or high power Commander anywhere else.

Fucking big fish small pond shit, so I'd rather not keep eating the breadcrumbs.

All things considered Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger would be an interesting target...if it isn't banned from the format and you can keep it alive for a couple attack runs that is.

Oh hey, just looked it up and it's indestructible and doesn't have the returning to the library if it's sent to the graveyard ability.

Processors.
I eternalized the same Mulldrifter 7 times last night thanks to Cryptic Cruiser, Oracle of Dust and Wasteland Strangler.

>Saskia
>Queen Marchesa

>45
Decklist? I gotta see this.

>FATHER WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME

>nobody plays high power Commander anywhere else.

Good you're a dying breed and nobody needs more of your shit

That's actually super fucking spicy. Post list?

They already banned Emrakul. Dare they ban a second Titan? Will there be a third Kozy?

Only if the gatewatch needs to kill something through the power of friendship and fire again.

They won't ban Ulamog. It's just a big dumb beater with cast-trigger removal.

Fuck off faggot, not everyone has to play like retards because you refuse to play removal.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-07-17-ElB-marchesa/

>dude infinite mana turn 2 so much fun

Neck yourself

So you remove fucking everything and let the PWs win the war?

High power =/= infinites out the ass

Nigger, not everyone is cancer like you.
I'd still rather see Ulamogs get cast turn three and everyone having a chance to deal with it than spend 20 turns playing shit creatures and everyone losing to SaffronOlive tier "combos" because nobody is allowed to play removal or counters least the autists whine.

Yes, I'm usually winning with pumped tokens or flying lifelink 6/6 Marchesa+Jitte. Managing to get Sorin's Emblem and the Monarchy at the same time is sexually gratifying.

Would running a resource denial package work alongside big mana?

>like low cmc legendaries
>almost all are bad commanders
feels bad

>Animar

Hope of Ghirapur Voltron is one of my most fun decks to pilot and has won a fair bit of its games.