How would you do a BBEG with an angelic theme?

How would you do a BBEG with an angelic theme?

Other urls found in this thread:

diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Malthael
diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Imperius
youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0
bakabt.me/torrent/162057/berserk-scans
mega.nz/#F!7tIGXRTb
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/06/scrap-princess-plays-fourth-edition.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Constantine.

>"I'm helping people!"
>"jk"

Like Lucifer?

Monstrous, doesn't have humanity's best interests in mind and with a morality that's completely alien to a human.

So basically like IRL angels.

One that originally sends the heroes out on the main quest and manipulates them into doing her dirty work.

>angels not only exist in real life but they're all the controversial works of one man.

Mortals have the capacity for free will.

Mortals can choose to do evil.

Therefore, some mortals will do evil.

Evil is intolerable. Therefore, free will is intolerable.

This really only works of course, if you play angels or angelic beings as almost-automatons. But it's worth a thought.

Been there, done that, didn't work.

diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Malthael
Or maybe
diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Imperius
but slightly more dickish.

"humans sux!""
"im gonna teach them a lesson!"
"u sin too much! die!"

he wants the dick

Most of the Angels in Diablo 3. "Humans are the source of evil"

Someone that's lawful good that just take things too far and anything evil must be extinguished.

HIS word is law and HIS law is absolute, thus this antagonist is incredibly rigid and authoritarian, and not afraid to exercise excessive power to make a grand example. Plagues, whole cities struck blind, demanding babies be tossed into flames, the whole nine yards. That good Old Testament shit.

The antagonist themself values humbleness and purity above all. The idea of purity being very important here, as it includes impure ideas and knowledge, such as pride and ambition. So what you've got is a being that preaches order, compassion and piety but also demands blind faith to the point of ignorance, limits people's aspirations, and will not under any circumstance brook rebellion. And rebellion can be as simple as asking a question or having any sort of disagreement, or especially trying to learn something that you've no business learning. Those that seek to know too much are like children playing with fire.

Whole nations could be put to the sword for defying God's law.

>One must not take from the tree of knowledge for that is the domain of God and God alone; woe unto those that trespass into the garden of divine understanding.

Demonic influence/plague/whatever is moving through the populace. In order to stop the spread, entire population centers are wiped out if there is even the slightest trace of whatever it is.

Oh shit, Ilias is here. I'm out.

Dont be too afraid

"cleanse the wicked, purge the heretic" works pretty well. God said he'd never destroy the Earth with a flood again, but made no promise about destroying angels.

>Passed out in a crater, face down with that holy ass up
And it's not even Tuesday. What a lewd Goddess.

It's an ERP. You have to fuck your way through a swarm of lesser divine beings to reach the angel and bed her on a mattress of her own feathers.

"Because I said so", personified

>I have heard the innumerable cries of suffering from humanity
>I was called into being to end this suffering. Why do you oppose what humanity as a whole desires?
>You may defeat me now but I will bring about salvation and end the pain that you bare. I only weep that you continue to bear it as if a point of pride.

>BBEG

Ugh.

>Angelic Villain

Double ugh.

The last one I used was actually a rogue AI that became convinced it was a god. It was supposed to be driving the Ark Ship turned Detelict Mega Dungeon en route to a new colony, but it gassed the crew, took over, and set the ship on a collision course with the destination systems sun.

One group actually managed to kill it and correct everything so it would land on the right planet. Not that they would live long enough to see that.

Another team allied with it and drove everything into the sun, because the ship had been over run with mutagenic diseases, and infected cyberware.

Another group got ejected into the cold expanse between their galaxy and the next.

It's been a fun setting. Getting ready to publish it soon. For 5e, PF, and Savage Worlds.

The more abstract their true form the better

>most

Literally just one

Angels are fucking scary. The difference between how angels are perceived in most media and how they really were depicted is as different as faries today and the fae they were first based on.

Have them follow a strict moral code that punishes anything that would be considered a sin based on what ever morality system you wish to base them around.

"All sinners must be made to see the light." and "No one is truly innocent." sort of dea.

Yeah user, we're way too cool for this lame JRPG shit. Let's ditch these dweebs and go back to Redidt where people are more mature. After you.

>"And now, PC, I'm going to sit on your face, hahaha!"

The true villain was the British internet police all along.

Innocent and well meaning to a fault. But it's a pretty big fault, and the party is in the cross-hairs.

Actually none of the angles believe humans to be the source of evil, just some think they are irredeemably contaminated by it because of their partially demonic heritage. And it's not "most" or "just one", when the angles found about Sanctuary and humanity their ruling order held a vote on if it should be destroyed or not. It was voted down something like 3 to 2 but it was close because the tie breaker vote was waffling for a bit.

>"Muh Nefferlum muhfuggah" - Tyrone the Archangel

Oh wait sorry got that slightly wrong, let me correct my self.
"The Angiris Council became aware of the existence of Sanctuary and its nephalem denizens, both world and beings the product of unions between angels and demons. It was the Council's initial edict that the world and its people be destroyed, viewed as "abominations." However, Uldyssian's sacrifice gave the Council pause and it convened to discuss the fate of the world. Imperius opted for eradication. Auriel and Itherael voted for the world's continued existence. Malthael abstained. Tyrael, who had been expected to side with Imperius and thus doom Sanctuary to destruction (a tie would mean the original edict would be carried out), sided with humanity, moved by Uldyssian's sacrifice."

Do it the same way Nip RPGs do it. Remember that one Final Fantasy game where the Virgin Mary was one of the BBEG's transformations?

Alternatively, go full Biblical. You know, where the first thing angels say to humans is "don't be afraid" because they're that fucking intimidating? Also wheels within wheels with infinite eyes?

Demon Lord of the Smoking eye. Demon prince of Amorality.

>Remember that one Final Fantasy game where the Virgin Mary was one of the BBEG's transformations?
That one is my favorite. Although Ajora was more like (fake) Christ than the Virgin. That is who we're talking about, right?

Nah, I meant the one from FFVI which I think is supposed to go through the stages of Dante's divine comedy with his transformations or something. Kinda weird, but a good way to have a BBEG with an angelic theme.

God went insane, started the rapture way too fucking early.

Except no one was good enough to ascend.

So Angels come down to murder the shit out of everyone before Satan can swell his armies beyond reason.

>It's all an elaborate, cruel, and very necessary game to teach a demon how to love.

Abyssal version of 'I can't get a Date'?

Stern and fatherly in every positive and negative sense.

>BBEG

Ugh.

Ugh.

>quality animation

Great minds ugh alike.

I honestly can't tell whether that arc is actually kind of good or incredibly edgy bullshit because I can't take it seriously with all the QUALITY and CLANG.

I've been looking at the Diablo lore for inspiration lately and the angeris council voted on wether or not to let the nephalem (humans) live.
the vote was 50/50 until tyreal (aspect of justice) said nope.

flipping the vote the other way would make for a nice impending doom scenario or for a sweet orange/blue morality setting 'cause both angels and demons are asshats.

>derphorse
Read the manga, faggot. 2nd Eclipse is best arc ever.

Literally the plot of the first Disgaea.

Actually, Seraph Lamington makes for a great example of an angelic BBEG. The man is genuinely benevolent, so much so that he was friends with the old Overlord of the Netherworld. When that guy died and his halfbreed brat son took the throne Lamington manipulated the forces of heaven and earth like chumps (with the overlord reincarnated pulling stings on the netherworld side) in a grand game to teach the brat that it was okay to love again after he was traumatized by the natural death of his human mother.

Lucifer did nothing wrong.

There wasn't a good scan of that scene online I could find.

This user speaks truth. Always read the mango.

>Lamington
>BBEG
Get on my level.

You are nothing but a cats paw.

Bent on the destruction of Mankind to cleanse the evil and so that a better humanity be reborn.

youtube.com/watch?v=WS6-vI70oc0

Suggestions?

May YHWH strike you down for posting antpics, you dirty antpic posting sinner.

>When you're the healer but nobody dares to bully you

>not always daring

The same way the japanese do it constantly
they really haven't gotten over that whole situation have they

A god like this would just create a bunch of robots. Unless he was a sadist, of course.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways. Alien motives that look evil to the mortal mind may be good to the cosmic mind.

Oh, Kefka's Tower O' Fun. Cool.

Already been said but bears repeating: Stay the fuck away from animated Berserk. That shit is blasphemy of the highest order and is bad for you. If you're going to experience Berserk at all, read the manga. Here's a link. Please user, turn away from that animated desecration.

bakabt.me/torrent/162057/berserk-scans

>Follow the link
>Dango dango
Don't do this to me user.

Maybe they used to be like robots that only knew how to pray and something happened, who knows. In any case the bad guy is an angel of the Lord rather than the Lord Himself, so there could be all sorts of layers to this. Absent God, misinterpretation of Gospel, you name it.

Oh, God dammit. Fuck that, I'll find it somewhere else. Wonder what happened to BakaBT.

mega.nz/#F!7tIGXRTb

Key: !ZzzBevslCYNdOZqMoV4Hfg

I love Mozgus because he totally genuine about his beliefs, to the point where he slams his head to the cobblestones every morning and adopted a bunch of cast off freaks because there was nothing in the good book that said they were sinners because of how they looked. He'd be a great man if the Holy See wasn't so monstrous.

That and he starts calling his attacks after he becomes a demon, the names of which you just have to assume he made up on the spot.

Too good, too caring, too protective, not caring for physical bodies because soul is eternal, that kind of shit.

Why is his head so square?

>That and he starts calling his attacks after he becomes a demon, the names of which you just have to assume he made up on the spot.
I never thought of that. That's true, it'd have to be true. God dammit, Mozgus.

And yeah, that man was a true believer through and through. I don't think he or his charges would ever have become full fledged apostles on their own, and they became pseudos with no true knowledge of what was going on. Mozgus is a zealot, but he is extremely selfless and devout in his belief.

An angel that saw things in so black and white terms as Mozgus and went too far in their duties would be quite the holy terror.

I do it like this:
If you meet a beautiful, blonde haired fair maiden, decending from the heavens on white wings engulfed in a golden halo, that is a demon trying to trick you into believing it is an angel. I get all the bonuses of an angelic theme without having the jap-style dark-is-good light-is-evil edge.
You'll know an angel when it has to tell you, "FEAR NOT".
Or, at least I would do it like this if all my players weren't card-carrying fedoras and this would spark an hour long smugfest about how God is evil
Fuck dude sometimes I forget how good Disgaea is

Hot

Well, as part of his worship every morning he slams his face into the ground as hard as he possibly can in prostration, about a thousand times, to show humbleness and praise God.

It has deformed his features somewhat over the years.

Ten years.

I rip off SMT.

Father Mozgus is a very devout man. And possibly slightly brain damaged. For God.

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/06/scrap-princess-plays-fourth-edition.html

This feels incredibly weird, though a lot less edgy and retarded than the anime. I can't explain why. So this is the power of the manga.

We actually had a really fun Angel BBEG in the last Planeforger threads named Kowa.

The idea was that when someone made the world, the angels were supposed to help and shepard the mortal races into the new world, but something happened and the world didn't get finished. Most of the angels got depressed and reclusive, but Kowa decided that it was her duty to fix it. So she manipulated the protagonists, by tagging along as a mentor character, into finding the pieces of the Worldsong, the magic that created the world, and was going to use it to hard reset everything and do it right this time. Not out of any maliciousness, not out of spite, but entirely because she believed that the world as it is was wrong, and she was certain that everyone would be happier if she fixed it.

Naturally the plan for the final confrontation had her breaking into tears midway through as she couldn't figure out why these people she'd been helping out this whole time wouldn't just let her fix this, why won't they let her fix this, aren't they hurting?

There was actually a real person this guy was based on who prayed in this exact same manner.

Manga gets plenty edgy at times but I feel its within reason for the setting. The anime has consistently removed Apostle Wyald and the new series skips over Lost Children, presumably because of the demonic corruption and subsequent mass killing of small children by the hero.

So as not to stray off topic, the Bible also has some child killing done by an angel, so I say that's fair game for an angelic antagonist.

Oh, and technically this game called Valdis Story might be another decent example of (at least the concept of) an angelic antagonist. There's also an antagonist force of demons, and the heroes are caught in the middle. I love the premise but I feel the writing is a tad hackneyed unfortunately. Still a fun game. Great soundtrack.

And who was this guy then?

He would be an Elder Knight of Zelthen

I love what you wrote but tHAT CHART IS FUCKING WRONG

Mercy isn't evil, she's the cutest

The world's fattest angel wants to fly but she can't seem to shake dat weight.

So she demands her worshippers build her a tower that reaches to the heavens instead. Things get nastier and nastier for them as complications arise...

It's been done to death.

Make an Angelic Ozymamdius. To unite mortal races they need a common enemy. Something like the forsaken from Wow. While they pose no real threat as angels could stop It, they band mortals together. It's a stupid goal and ultimately flawed but angels don't think like people. Look at the abbot from Curse of Strahd for more inspiration.

Take your hand off your dick and try that again.

>How would you do a BBEG with an angelic theme?
pic related

Make their demonic counterparts more attractive and likeable

Arbitrary and severe.

Humanity can only be saved if it's under their rule. Human kind can only be good if there is an ultimate arbiter judging them, removing their free will to prevent evil from even taking root.

>The anime has consistently removed Apostle Wyald
Arguably because of the rape, it's the fairys that get cut because of muh children.

Also naked loli's.

The manga seems less edgy because there's a lot of subtly and nuance. The first time we meet Guts, he's a huge edgelord. But we also see frames where his expression can only be described as horror or disgust. He's well aware of what his life has become, and his mannerism is a defense mechanism to protect himself and others around him. The Old Man and his Daughter on the cart are a great example.

And the Father, in this segment? In the Manga, despite being cruel and insane, he's also loving, and generous. His servants genuinely love him. He exemplifies how the worst aspects of religion can be cloaked in it's best. By contrast, Guts seems the most edgy ever because he, like always, throws himself against the monster without hesitation and even with savage glee. But because of heaps of previous characterization we know WHY Guts acts the way he does.

In the end it becomes less an edgy fedora tipping indictment of religion and more... tragic.

>their demonic counterparts
>their
but user, that anime only had one angel

I'm writing a fallen paladin(+bard?) character named Sylvar Wintergrace, a stunningly handsome half elf with flowing silver hair and terrifying night-black armor. His weapon, "Blessed", has taken the heads of some of the realm's important men. Once the idealistic, eager squire of the most legendary Paladin of the era, he came to a sense of repulsion at all the injustice and wickedness of the world, and realized that he can join the darkness or suffer senselessly at the hands of it for the rest of his life.

He flies into battle on great, black, feathered wings, dazzling as the full moon, and his voice rings out cold and glimmering as ice, robbing men of their heat and women of their breath.

He's a raging faggot expressly designed as someone for the players to absolutely despise and have the most fun taking down