ITT: Best magic spells

Fireball is the best spell.
It's so elegant in its simplicity: just a ball of fucking fire, chuck it at a target and watch them burn. None of the fancy-pansy overcomplicated bullshit.
It fits in nearly any world, setting, system, or magical rules: few are the ones that, given a sufficient amount of power and experience at least, wouldn't allow you to mold their arcane energies into a ball of incendiary doom. Those few exceptions suck.
It's devastatingly effective: there's so many problems a well-aimed explosion could solve.
It makes for fancy fireworks, glows nicely in the dark, and you can do barbeque afterwards.
The screams of the dying are a music in my ears, and the smell of roasting flesh mouth-watering...
It's simply the best.

What is your best magic spell?

Other urls found in this thread:

dndtools.net/spells/spell-compendium--86/dinosaur-stampede--4379/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Wish or Miracle

Demon of the third circle is my favorite. That or maybe benediction of archgenisis

Polymorph/Shapechange might be my spell to go. I love all trasmutation spells due their impressive flexibility, but these two take the cake.
Need to fly? Turn into a giant bird! Need to shoot fire? Turn into a dragon! Need to fight in melee? Become an hydra and lay waste on all who cross you!
It's likely another spell that has been quite iconic since ancient mythology and more.

Fireball's okay, but it's messy and does a lot of collateral damage.

I'd go with Disintegrate instead. Much more focused, instantly deadly, and looks cool.

Not so much a specific spell as it is a type of spell, but summoning is to me the defining wizard magic. Circles of salt, weird names recited backwards, angry spirits hissing riddles with forked tongues, all that stuff.

>fireball is the best spell

What about against creatures immune to fire?

Fringe cases, too rare to make a real impact on things. If you were to take them into account, you'd also need to include the creatures particularly weak to fire: the two would cancel each other out.

Fireball is pleb tier.

Now it's better, more interesting sibling, Delayed Blast Fireball? That's the best damn spell ever. Everything Fireball does with more damage, more control, and the ability to be used as one of the most traumatizing interrogation methods on the planet.
>Tie down victim.
>Force open mouth.
>You know how Delayed Blast Fireball manifests as a tiny fire-y pellet? Drop it down their throat.
>"You have thirty seconds to tell me what I want, or you explode"

Pure poetry.

>tfw my character actually got interrogated with a similar spell that would release acid
>"my character's smart enough to know this has a radius effect, right? I've been around wizards and seen this kind of thing before."
>"Yeah, OK. You don't know the specific range, but you do know this acid is going to blast out of your belly and spray in every direction."
>"I want to make a strength check to break my bonds and grapple the interrogator."
>I pass the test and hold the his head against my stomach
>"now by my count we have about twenty seconds for you to dispel that or we BOTH die"
>he makes one dispel attempt, fails (I suspect DM fiat because I derailed his torture scene) and wastes the remaining time shitting bricks
>mfw the acid damage roll was just high enough to kill the wizard but leave me alive and conscious

Bakuretsu

But touching the bead can set it off earlier.

>exalted spells
while i love exalted, most of the magic was so grand in scale i rarely found a use for it in anything but a war campaign

I'm suprised this wasn't one of the first posts.

> Utility
Polymorph

> FX
Something epic.

Take a look at TFT: Wizard. Such simplicity and consistency. What do wizards do? Start fires, create magic shadow, summon animals, create images, shoot fists, weave belief into Illusions that can are kinda real until they are disbelieved, tie you up with magic rope, the list goes on but it's all very concise and complete. There aren't too many spells, not too little, not too complex, thematic but not too thematic. Perfect wizards.

>dndtools.net/spells/spell-compendium--86/dinosaur-stampede--4379/
You will never top this.

Wall of Force for me

Fun things I have done with Wall of Force
>Make an invisible bridge and then dismiss it when enemies followe me out
>Make an invisible roof to casually walk infront of enemy archers positioned up high
>divert a volcano
>kill an evil king on a dragon by casting it in his patch during a highspeed air chase

its a handy spell

Magic Missile !

What if you're playing in an arabian night themed setting?

I'm always a fan of summoning stuff.

Cone of Cold.

I absolutely agree with anything that lets you fight monsters with other monsters.

calm down dude holy shit

Explosive fireball

Well, I'm sold.

It's impossible to be calm when the power of the inferno is right at your fingertips!

My body had the idea to shoot a fireball in the shape of Stalin's face.
>Perfect art has just been invented

>I meant buddy

Then the VERY STARS are missiles with which you SMITE DEMONS.

Have you been slacking on your Koran reading again?

dumb casterposter