RPGs from your own country

I don't know about you but where I live there's a pretty prolific market for RPGs and especially made by people right here, RPGs you must not know about since they are rarely translated.

So ITT : post short descriptions of RPG from your country, if people are interested in knowing more, maybe give them details so they can try and emulate it from where they are.

I'll start in the next post.

Other urls found in this thread:

aiolos.com.gr/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29879
aiolos.com.gr/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29880
1km1kt.net/rpg/normality/comment-page-1
legrog.org/
it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Arcana
it.scribd.com/doc/37545725/Lex-Arcana-01-Manuale-Del-Giocatore
vagrantworkshop.com/files/itras_by_preview.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>INS-MV

In Nomine Satanis / Magna Veritas is a French RPG published in 1990.
It has two separate parts (INS and MV) where you play either demons or angels in a modern human world. The premise is, a long time ago, God and the Devil made a pact to prevent all angelic and demonic creatures to interfere in the open with human lifes and decisions (last time it happenned, it gave WW2 basically), creating The Great Game.

The Game is knowing who, demons or angels, are best at convicing humans to follow their ways, elevating or descending the human world in the great building of the plans.

It is very much a comedy game and you play it mostly with three d6. You achieve missions for your faction (and maybe even your Demon-Prince/Archangel from whom you descend) while trying to stay hidden from humans, possessing corpses for demons and willing humans for angels.

>Bloodlust

Another French RPG (yes I am French, well guessed), first published in 1991.
It's a sort of low-fantasy kind of universe, set in a land called Tanaephis. It was once populated by your standard dwarves, elves and orks but unending wars have erased them from the map and now only humans -bloodthirsty humans- remain.

It has a variety of people with each its culture and ways which are pretty interesting in a nordic barbarian sort of way but the point on which this game innovates is with the so called God-weapons.

You see in this universe without religions, the gods have incarnated themselves into weapons to feel human emotions, passions and bloodlust through the one who wields them. These weapons are universally afraid of water because, since they are immortal and can't do anything on their own, being immersed in a lake or worse, in the sea, means waiting for hundreds and hundreds of years for someone to pick you up.

When a human picks up a God-weapon, he becomes envied and revered for he has access to its great power as long as he has it in his possession.

Character creation goes as such : you create your human and the weapon who has its own points to buy powers and characteristics (from a 200+ list) to create a weapon that is unique. Then you pick a few 'desires' from a list that is the same for humans and weapons, deciding what the wielder and weapon agree and disagree on.

But the most interesting part for me comes here : there are a few ways of playing Bloodlust.

You can play the human and the weapon, creating a sort of schizophrenic playstyle.
Players can play the humans while the Gm plays the weapons OR vice versa which is fun
Or players can split in two groups, weapons and humans, which is my favorite.

It had several published versions, most of them use either a d100 system or a d6 system with a bit of complicated combat that can be simplified easily when you know the game well.

>Le Jeu d'aventures de Lanfeust et du Monde de Troy

Blah di blah baguette fromage the title roughly translated to : The adventure Game of Lanfeust and the world of Troy.

Lanfeust of Troy (and some others) is a highly popular french comic series set in a low fantasy world (called Troy) and since the comic is mostly comedy and parody based, so is the subsequent RPG.

Troy is a low fantsy world, most people live in small villages and life is generally shit around there, except for those who have money and/or great magic powers. that's the thing : magic is everywhere in Troy, relayed by Eckmül sages and everyone born in Troy has a magic power (ranging from make your eyes change colors once a day to walk on water or heal wounds) and can use them if they are not too far from a sage.

The most powerful magic powers are balanced with a condition for its use (an example from the comic would be healing wounds but only under the moonlight and not your own). You can play as other races such as trolls (hungry hairy motherfuckers that can be magically tamed with rituals by sages and make great travel companions once tamed), or humans from another land who don't have magic powers but can get other advantages.

The universe is also drenched in all sins and you can defined one or several for your character to pursue.

Its system is based on DnD 3 so d20 all over.

Tl;dr

What's with the pic?

just a pinch of fuck off.

C'mon, don't be like that. It's a spooky pic.

>Pavillon Noir

Roughly translates as Black Flag, first published in 2004.

It a a historical/fantastic game set before, during and a bit after the Golden age of Piracy where you can play all over the Seven Seas, teaming up with Blackbeard or fighting Red Rackham, fleeing the Company of India (the great Company which ruled over trades between colonists countries and their colonies).

You can play by the rules or become true pirates, Bothers of the Coast who live by fraternity, solidarity and violence or just filthy beasts who live just by violence.

The system is d10 based with localised damage and realistic healing time so characters tend to die fast if you're not careful. It also has a realistic way of portraying how a ship's crew worked with different ranks of authority and different roles to play in how the ship works.

Demands at least a bit of knowledge about ships and piracy but very fun (also you may stumble upon a Kraken and that's always a plus)

If that's really all you're interested in, it is SAID to be a pictures of an old russian asylum but it's just a boring photo don't dwell on it.

>Tigres Volants

Roughly translates as Flying Tigers, first published in 1990 (as you can see 1990 was kind of the French RPG golden age)

This one I know a less sicne I never played it but I'll do my best.

Tigres Volants is a space opera game set after the fourth world war when humans finally flew thourgh space to discover they weren't alone (and that actually most people out there descend from humans that fled the Earth long ago).

There are a few different races : the Eyldars (yes I know) who are basically Eldars but before Slaanesh, meaning sarcastic perverts.
Siyanis, who are lizardmen of great artistic sensibility but slaves to their passions. Those are plagued by a mutation that makes some of them way more intelligent strategists but devotes them of any artistic sense or even emotions.
Talvarids are huge bears with a sort of chamanic culture.
Karlans who look a lot like humans but apparently do not descend from them, are a heavily militarized people who guard the limits of the known universe.

The Earth itself is divised in factions, ranging from Copacabana, an idealized hippie kind of huge city to the High Earth federation which is all about eugenism and expantionnism.

Techwise, FTL space travel is a common thing, terraforming is a jealously kept secret (Damned Eyldars), cloning and memory transfer is expensive but not uncommon, and 'magic' is used in most armed forces.

The system is d20 based and I havn't wrapped my head around the character creation yet but it seems simple.

That's all I have for now, will maybe post some weird horror games later

Also this is the image for Pavillon Noir

This is the image for Lanfeust

And for Bloodlust

Czech

Dračí doupě (Dragon lair) - 90s. Fantasy. 1e dnd clone that somehow come decades before OSR. Has some wierd, overpowerd demon summoming rules and punishing exp per session cap. RAW, you would have to play twice a week for over 200 years to reach max level. It’s shit.

Stín Meče (Shadow of The Sword) - 90’s Fantasy. Dračí doupě clone, encourages powergaming and charop, punishes roleplaying. It’s shit, but still has small, vocal and smug fanbase.

Dračí doupě 2 - 00’s. Fantasy. Class and level with very different mechanics for each class, yet very solid math core based on some logarithmic equation. Good enough if you don.t mind having to compare every roll to a table (one table to rule it all).

Střepy Snů (Dreashards) - late 00’s. Universal. Solid storygame effort

Dračí doupě 2 - early 10’s. Fantasy. Failed storygame effort

Sounds like they don't have much imagination

Poland got Wolsung going for it but I never played it so I don't know jack about it aside from the fact it's steampunk

That and the Witcher RPG from the 90s which was all sorts of broken, but because it was super cheap everyone had it

Oh, and we made an unofficial 2.5e for Warhammer Fantasy that took the country by storm

mfw the biggest European RPG outside the Warhammer franchise is Das Schwarze Auge

What was the 2.5 like ? I'm interested.

Don't know this one, tell me about it.

>low fantasy
>magic is everywhere

Is there any spic/South American RPG?

Yeah sorry terminology is not my forte.

OY! YOU FROG EATER!
Can you tell us about The Metabarons RPG?

German DnD clone set in a world that is like Golarion, if Golarion was more uninspired and boring. Metaplot driven with plenty of big dick NPCs to fuck over your characters. So much so in facxt it makes oWoD look tame. Also has rules for sex cults and other poorly weiled magical realm thingies.

Actually, sorry, my bad. 1.5. 2e cale out in 2005, so long after we adapted copyright laws.

I'm too young to remember it well, but it was basicly a set of commonly used house rules, additional roles and such. No changes in fluff or anything, of course.

Living Epics Homeric Era RPG

aiolos.com.gr/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29879

OY

Metabarons is fucking complicated. Like it's more tangled than WH40K's whole set of fanfiction.

Basically it's space opera with lots of political conflicts, lots and lots of factions, a cyberpunk kind of feel with a drugged up population hooked to their TVs and you play those who escaped that addiction (called the NecroDream).

At first it books that were fucking complicated then it was adapted by Alejandro MOTHERFUCKING Jodorowsky in a big series of comics which were themselves adapted into an RPG and it's a mess.

A great mess.

But a fucking mess.

A d6 based mess.

Living Epics, Minoan Expansion

aiolos.com.gr/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29880

That's not French, though. It's a WEG job.

Sounds German.

Boring, uninspired and perverted.

HEY
Comics were french. And only the first two books were WEG, all others were French.

>all others were French.
There are books beyond the GM screen and Path of the Warrior?

I love Wolsung, but all other fa/tg/uys seem to hate it. It's a lot about grandiose pulp, over the top etiquette and black humor, historical cynicism. We've been down the dark continent slaying the ork tribes to build railroads in the name of Civilization and the Crown. We've been in the gutters of Heimburg hunting down lost cat statues from zombie nazis. We've met fairies in madhouses of electroshock therapy and chased them over the rooftops of the great city. We've dug for the lost head of corpses in highly industrial morgues. We've climbed the underside of Zeppelins to denounce an industrialist tying to instigate WWII.

was wondering that myself. Sudakas I know are enthusiastic but disorganized, so the campaigns they dream up never get going. More games come from Spain.

Yup, 4 supplement books.

Sounds nice. What system does it use ?

Anima - Beyond Fantasy and a bunch more for Spain, 3D&T for Brazil.

Don't know Anima, tell me more about it.

It's a derivative of Rolemaster, with all the crunch that entails, but once you wrap your head around it it's a really solid system. Strong J-fantasy influences, but not made out of cliches like many of such settings are.

It has so many ways to just make you frustrated with dice.

Attacks aren't rolled against any kind of armor, you roll to not miss your own skill. For example, you have a total Sword Skill of 12. To attack you roll 1d20, and rolls of 12 or less hit. Then, the defender can choose to dodge or parry. If they roll at or below their dodge or parry (dodge is determined by stats, parry is determined by weapon skill), the attack does nothing.

So many fights get bogged down by dice luck if the opponent manages to roll well, in my experience.

Aren't skill checks on 3d20? Does that not extend to combat rolls?

>has rules for sex cults and other poorly veiled magical realm thingies.

Out of curiousity, which books/edition? Haven't seen anything in 5th edition that remotely resembles that.

Sounds very much like WH40K's RPG to me. But with d20 instead of d100.
But I only play Deathwatch so I don't have problems such as "failing my roll"

Oh yeah, OP, I forgot to tell you about the weirdest of the lot.

>Lycéenne RPG

Which means Highschool girls RPG.

It is a system based on simulating life in Highschool, with drama, football matches, lying cheating boyfriends, evil backstabbing bitches and so on.

It can be played in almost any setting even if it's made for a manga style highschool, there are extensions to play magical girls, to play in a zombie ridden highschool, in the future, in a uchronia...

It's an amateur game but it is one of the most played of the lot and having played it both in normal setting (with anime style stuff) and in a zombie setting, I can tell you it's a lot of fun.

Also I've been wondering, do your countries have RPGs for children ? Cause we sure have. A lot. One of the best is based on the Oz mythos and can be played by 6 year-olds.

AFAIK, the official Adventure Time RPG comes from a spanish editorial.
Of course, being made for children doesn't mean that probably the Tumblr won't make most of the user base.

Skill checks are 3d20, combat is 1d20.

Skill checks are also a slog. There are so many modifiers that can come up to both benefit and hurt you. If you're lucky, the DM forgets about most of them because they're hard to keep track of.

>Post Mortem

Where do characters go when they die ? Well, in a special kind of Hell were they are placed in a sort of city resembling their world of origin, ruled by a powerful specter. The currency here is frgments of your soul, memories and skills and you gain them by 'killing' (momentaraly incapacitating) other specters. When you have 100 fragments you can make an X-marble with it which allows you to 'gain a level'.

You have two stats, Soul and Spirit each going from 1 to 7. Soul allows you to do things you knew how to do when you were alive and Spirit allows you to learn new things and do stuff you didn't know how to before. When you go up in one stat you go down in the other.

You have 7 HP and 7 Life Points. When you reach 0 HP you loose one Life Point and reappear in your city of rebirth. When you reach 0 Life Points, you disappear.

Which means you can basically play any character from any game, book, movie or universe (keep in mind that they are all balanced by the rules so Cthulhu won't be more powerful than any of the Mister Men)

Played with only one d8, this game is a ton of fun.

Ok. But Tigres Volants isn't French, it's Swiss. It was published by Les Créateurs Genevois. I know the author, Alias, who's from Geneva Switzerland.

Oh yeah right I forgot.
Sorry mate didn't mean to steal your material

Polish here, from what I know there are mainly lots of post-apocalyptic games here, many Poles in general seem to have a boner for post-apo for some reason. All Polish fantasy systems that I know of were released quite a long time ago, and from what I know they were apparently good, but overcomplicated as hell.

Also, in the French games, OP forgot Berlin XVIII, a low-tech cyberpunk game, set in a depressing post WWIII universe, where the European Federation is fighting for about 30 years against Ursia (the Soviet Union). The players play Falkampfts (cops) in Berlin's worst area, the infamous Sektor 18. It's kind of a mix between Blade Runner, Colors, Cobra, Dirty Harry and Hill Street Blues. The two first editions were quite a mess. The third edition was excellent. Rules were kept to a minimum (maybe 20 pages) and most of the book was simply the description of the world (about 250 pages). A shitty PBTA-based new edition is now coming out.

You didn't mention Stella Inquisitorus, which is basically INS/MV in space. This game rocks and is basically Rogue Trader but published 20 years before. It was probably heavily inspired by WH40K and Space Hulk.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot we got Neuroshima too

>many Poles in general seem to have a boner for post-apo for some reason

Same reason why Warhammer took off this hard. We are a nation of cynical fucks

OP here, didn't know this one in particular.
Thanks for the participation

Another fairly known French game is Kuro. It's a mix of cyberpunk and Japanese horror - which sounds cool until you see that it's mixed with Japanese mythology, too.

Didn't know this one either
(and as always we can see the French are always quicker to be picky and critical rather than be happy about what's happening) (love my country)

Polaris is another fairly known French game that had multiple editions and got translated into English. It's basically a sci-fi post-apocalyptic game set on earth. WWIII destroyed the world. The only survivors were people living in subaquatic colonies. The whole game is set under water (the ice caps have melted submerging whole countries and earth's surface turned into a mutated hellhole), where different factions fight for power and resources. The first edition had a horribly complex system. I don't know if it got improved with the later editions.

Bitume is a humorous game set in post-apocalypse France. It's full of references to French pop culture from the late 1980s to 1990s. The story is that the Halley comet passed too close to the Earth, causing massive natural catastrophes. Though, the worst effect was that it caused a global amnesia. People forgot everything. As time passed, new and crazy societies/tribes/cults appeared, based on what the survivors deducted from old "artifacts" cartoons, videocassette covers, magazines... Some tribes would be: kids, punks, skinheads, vigilantes, indians, amazons, communists, hell's angels, vikings. The system is fairly complex, but it features a decent vehicular combat system, and a vehicle creation system.

Holy damn you frenchies have so many games

SimulacreS was a French universal RPG published by the main RPG magazine, Casus Belli and France's main game editor of the early 1990's Descartes. Official modules present themselves as small booklets with a part containing the rules and one part featuring pre-built characters and one or two adventures. The system is very rulelight.

And there are many more: Heavy Metal, Cops, Scales, Nephilim, Maléfices, Hurlement, Milles Christi, Guildes, Dark Earth, Vermine, WarsaW, Cobra Space Adventures, La Méthode du Dr. Chestel, Mercenaires, Wog Shrog, Mega, Raoûl, Reves de Dragon, Qin, Nightprowler...

RPGs were hugely popular in France during the 1980s and 1990s.

in Italy we have Sine Requie: at the end of ww2, durning the D-day every dead person in the world came back as a zombie. the american invasion failed, France and England are reduced to a wasteland, Germany regrouped and formed a new reich, the pope took control of italy, the citizens of the soviet union started hiding in giant silos ruled by a communist computer and the old pharaons returned and took control of Egypt. it's a bit of a kitchen sink but the different nations are mostly separated. it uses tarot instead of dices for action resolution. i also know of Lex Arcana (an rpg set in ancient Rome with magic), Kata Kumba (fantasy rpg) and an rpg inspired by the italian comic Dylan Dog but i never played them

New Zealand has Normality: The RPG
Fuck knows what it's about
1km1kt.net/rpg/normality/comment-page-1

>the two guys in the comments white-knighting the authors real hard
Sometimes, when your reaction is "what the fuck is this nonsense", it really is just nonsense.

>The two authors began on a two-year journey of rage and frustration at the state of the world, and the reactions of those around them to their concerns. We became filled with hatred toward the roleplayers we encountered at local games and conventions, and so we set out to hurt them.
Oh boy.

I would say Rêve de Dragon is the granddaddy of the French scene. Both from a historiographical and representational standpoint. Been translated in English too (as was INS/MV but then the US version totally missed the tongue-in-cheek humor It seems). Don't know if I should post it, last time I uploaded and posted something in one of those threads I got banned (this place sure has changed).

I don't know about the game itself, but but you can see the filiation to a game like Cadwallon - the Rackham line in general. Great setting.

Have to mention Thoan - Philip José Farmer RPG. Weird and interesting mechanically.

Te Deum pour un Massacre is an incredible thing if you love your RP to be drenched in real-world history.

In today's US-centric context, people would just lose their minds over Shaan. A self-conscious leftist game in which you play the aliens of a planet being conquered by humans. Always found it a bit jarring in execution, if well-intentioned. But interesting nonetheless.

While looking at my Library: Würm - a prehistoric RPG is definitely worth a mention too.

I loved first edition Nephilim, when it was still a bit of a mess looking for itself, less so what the game became as it went more pro. Personal preference aside, it's a cool setting/game.

Oh, Lyoness, a game on Jack Vance's setting is worth a mention too.

So many cool stuff really - Post Mortem, a game in which you play your other game characters after they die is pretty silly in a odd way.

If you can speak French, the GROG is probably the place to go look up for stuff. If you don't know it: legrog.org/

>Sine
I find Sine Requie's tarots so cool, holy shit. I've never had the chance to play it, but a friend of mine played it a lot and apparently it is a bit of a meat grinder: wounds give you more and more penalties has you get them, and things quickly snowballs.

That sounds insane in a good way.
Like, say, Feng Shui.

Shit, sorry, just opened the book; Lyonesse is in French, but it too is Swiss.

>all these french RPGs
>no mention of Empire Galactique
Sadness. Also, I'm a Britfag so I may as well bring up Dragon Warriors.

I love the style of Dragon Warriors.

The only one I played from Spain.

Are you a bad enough pretorian to defend to Endless Empire from misterious magical forces cospiring to end it?

it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Arcana goggle translate this

>game was pretty great for its age, nowdays your mileage may vary. Still, from the guys of TOR, and a pretty interesing premise

>Oktoberlandet

It's a dark fairytale steampunk game set in a a roughly 20th century russia-analogue.
The Tzar is ruling the country from his capital of Leongrad. industrilization is in full swing so many peasants are bought out and forced into the factories. In the overcrowded slums revolutionaries and cultists mingle in the shadows and compete over the hearts of the people. But just as the Tzars royal scientists launch a probe over the urals into the lands of eternal fog something shifted. The stones, warding against the fog began to weaken and the influence of the old witch Baba Yaga is felt once more.

go on

>mentions Lex arcana
you are clearly have the refined tastes of a patrician, aethiopeo meo!
you don't happen to be able to share a copy, do you? Even if in italian? I can translate

As a matter of fact, actually I do.

it.scribd.com/doc/37545725/Lex-Arcana-01-Manuale-Del-Giocatore

Tough I don't know how to save this scans. The Libro Base are the four small booklets for the base game (well, I guess you could get that even without knowing italian...). The 1 and 2 are the actual rules, 3 is the setting*, 4 the adventures.

*=setting isn't anything too absurd: the empire went on as it was in Hadrian's time, more or less. They talk about the legions and the preatorians, but the magic part isn't detailed, you have lists of monsters. I think the idea was to kinda detail the various unnatural menaces that dot the empire in the expansions, considering what they did with Carthago and to a smaller extent Italia.

Thanks a lot, friend. I had heard of the game's way of handling combat and really needed to see for myself. I wanted to see how well it works compared to the usual turn-move-attack system

No problem, but.. it actually has turns and all that jazz. You might be thinking of some other RPG?

Well that's more or less it. The country is a fairytale russia crossed with Narnia. (Hence all the lion imagery around the Tzar.)
The Wardingstones where put in place to keep Baba Yaga and her giants out. Cuz at the beginning of time she tried to darken the land but the first Tzar threw her down and banished her to the mist. There are other dark powers besides Yaga, such as Ded Moroz, The Baron of Dark Technology (ie, russian santaclaus, but evil.)

As far as anyone knowns there is nothing out in the mist. Besides Yaga's hordes and dark spirits. Once a foreign king called Oberon came through the mist on a diplomatic mission to the Tzar. But that was so long ago that no one knows if it's just a story or not.

The book itself is layouted in a cool russian modernist style which sets it apart from most other rpgs I have ever seen.
In addition, the book uses in world documents which intentionally give an incomplete picture of the world and it's people. So there are no real truths in the game, besides what the GM and the players makes of it. Not that this is a great innovation or anything, but I think it's a neat touch.

Some more stuff from Italy.

Ultima Forsan is a Savage World setting where instead of the black plague it was a zombie virus that ravaged Europe in the 14th century. 100 years later the surviving European states are banding together to start the "Reinassance" of man on earth and face the threat of the Black Sultan and his hordes of saracen zombies. It's basically Reinassance era zombie apocalypse with black magic, alchemy and a bit of Da Vinci style gearpunk.

Dawn of Cthulhu is from the same guys as Sine Requie, it's a setting where the Lovecraftian apocalypse came and went, leaving humans, ghouls, Mi-Go and other minor races to fend for themselves in a world that mixes 20-30s art deco, non-euclidiean geometries, Noir cliches, eldritch horror and a parody of the period's american society, particulatly race relations.

Knowing them the latter will be a mess.

>yes, I hate Sine Requie, the setting almost as much as the system

It combines cars and d10. You normally roll 2d10 and take the higher one. Depending on your stats, you may also reroll and add to a higher number, thus giving you epic feats at times. You may also use cards instead of your dice or to throw elements into the story. These elements depend on your archetype and tne card's suit, but you'll have to weave them into the plot.

so many french RPG's, and yet nobody talked about le donjon de Naheulbeuk....

>cars and d10
>roll dice then proceed to have a destruction derby with minivans to determine action outcome

Wish someone had scanned "Chroniques de la Terre Creuse"...

That's because it's a shit game darling. Play Lanfeust instead.

That sounds fuckin' awesome
I want to see the art for this setting
(I'm a sucker for reinterpreted myths and classic tales)

What's this one about ?

MYFAROG

The Norwegian dank meme game.
Apart from that (that other guy wasn't me), other Norwegian RPGs are Itras By, Imperium 3000, and Draug.

English translation of Itras By for those interested:
vagrantworkshop.com/files/itras_by_preview.pdf

There is no translation to this is there?

It's from Pina Bausch's "Barbe Bleue" (1977) ballet. Google it, if you want.
"Story" about asylum is a fake.

Is it ? Wow I didn't know. I love Barbe Bleue, adapted it into a scenario once.
Thanks dude

Ultima Forsan sounds fucking awesome, I want to run it one day

>not mentioning Raoul

>not reading all the posts before whining

Typical Frenchie

fuck, I did ctrl+f though but I probably misspelled it

Yet the most popular games here would still be dnd / shadowrun / warhammer / l5r / etc.
Our games are marginal for most of them with a few exceptions, like INS-MV