Villain Thread

Tell me about your villain Veeky Forums. What drives them? What made them what they are?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i4Z6gaa3xqY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

An ice demon stuck beneath the earth, trying to get himself freed so that he could fuck everyone over.

It's in his nature.

I hope OP is actually familiar with the character he posted.

He's the alchemist from the movie 'the holy mountain'.
His fault is that he believes he's doing the right thing but he doesn't realize the consequences of his actions.

Lord Soth? Yeah he's pretty rad. I've always had a thing for dudes with black voids with glowing eyes instead of faces.

Money, dear boy.

It's an espionage game btw

You ever stood atop a mountain and looked upon the horizon? You ever asked yourself if it was flammable?

He is just full Darwin, realises he is the strongest there is and decided to make it survival of the fittest for the entire place to make everyone else strong. Turns out it's because some monster from an alternate dimension came through and kicked the shit out of him and his friends and he was the only survivor. If he hadn't of always "playing the hero" then they would have been safe at home and not have died.

THOON IS ALL

Him, his kingdom, and his people were banished to the Nine Hells after his king made one too many wrong deals with the devils. He spent seven years in agony, only to eventually find a way out for him and a select few people. But now his homeland is a barren wasteland, him and his people are physically tainted by sins they never intentionally committed, and the enemy of his kingdom has begun to slowly take over what's left. He is determined to reclaim his land and his people by exchanging the souls of those who "deserve" eternal damnation and getting his own people in return. If he devastates the enemy empire's colony in the process, even if a few innocents get hurt in the crossfire, it will be justified in the end.

An orog warlord. Driven by the voice of Gruumsh telling him to unite the orcs and conquer the other races. He's currently united all the orc tribes in a sizable mountain range into a sizable confederation, and is currently leading them on a massive spree of looting and raping across the continent.

It's actually the voice of a long forgotten eldritch sea god, hoping to draw attention away from his inevitable return as an 'ally' of the supposedly dead, narcissistic, genocidal son of the god of humanity

this drawing is a ffucking joke

Hey man I just needed a ffucking pic.

Will you end the campaign with a ZOOM BACK CAMERA!

>5e's Death Knight art is Lord Soth, even though he's dead now

I always preferred the two-handed screaming green dude.

Why does he wear the mask?

>His fault is that he believes he's doing the right thing but he doesn't realize the consequences of his actions.
Recruiting the hottest people in the industry for Dune only to get the movie cancelled by going ten times over budger?

B, N, T, A, i onow you guys browse Veeky Forums occasionally. This is M. Don't read this.

I'm basically stealing the Tribunal Temple from Morrowind. A long ass time ago, there were three who ruled over a far off land. The rule of these three was peaceful, prosperous, and loved. As they grew older, they seeked the knowledge that would make them immortal. And they found it. They uplifted themselves to godhood, or so they claimed. Centurues passed, and they rewrote history so that they were always gods, and took a step back from mortal affairs.
The kingdom they once ruled over became a continent spanning empire, speading worship of them and increasing their power. However, the empire eventually stabilized, and after centuries, it became clear to the three that their power was waning, they were aging again. The empire was slowly turning from worship of the three to magical and scientific advancement, the humble beginnings of an age of academic advancement, and with that, their power was waning. "Knowing" that the empire would be doomed without their influence, they spent decades preparing a massive two part ritual.
The first would allow them to consume the souls of the dead who died in the heart of the empire. The second corrupted the very nature of magic with horrifying results. To make a long story short, the heaet of the empire is now a twisted, hellish wasteland full of monsters, surging magic, and corruption that infects everything it touches. Millions died, and that power flowed directly into the three, returning them to their former glory.
However, there was an unforseen consequence. The corruption infected even the energy they were taking in from the dead, and now the three are slowly losing their minds, becoming bestial, savage, irrational. Once the players discover this, they will need to alay these three to stop them from causing even more death in their corrupted, insane state of mind.

Too bad, I read this

>Tell me about your villain Veeky Forums.
Stannis Baratheon. Second son of lord paramount steffon baratheon.
>What drives them?
Power. Unlimited power. He plans to steal the throne from his nephew and rightful king.
>What made them what they are?
Reality

Pretty simple villain. He's acting as the leader of the cult of Vecna, but really just wants to gain power for himself by summoning Vecna back into the world and killing him.

Probably, if I ever get my players that far.

Oh, didn't notice the second part of the OP.

He's a green dracolich and believes that if a human could become as power as Vecna did then he believes he could become so much more.

Well, although I am soon going to be running Storm King's Thunder, I'm going to be completely changing the motivation and even the monster type of its ultimate villain. In STK, it's an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith who wants to add some artifact to her horde.

In my version...well, I'll let Iymrith explain it herself. In song!

Oh, I'm going to be turning Storm King's Thunder into a musical.

youtube.com/watch?v=i4Z6gaa3xqY

>Fear me you lowly mewling creatures!
>I descend upon your world from the skies
>I command your very souls you unbelievers
>My time has come to shine...
>Your time has come to die!

>Can you hear me conceited wretched mortals?
>I stand before you naked to the eyes!
>I have destroyed the Ordning and brought kingdoms low
>My power's on the rise...
>Now it's time for you to die!

>Serissa...
>Quite the pawn you've been
>Your sisters...
>Your whole RACE will now end

>The world's mine
>I possess it
>Will own it
>Forever, ever, ever...
>Ahh...!

>Storm, cloud, fire, frost, stone, hill are broken
>The get of Annam falls across the land
>>(across the land across the land)
>Now giant-kin will be remade according to my will...
>ALL WILL BOW TO ME!

>Begone with you, pathetic worthless children
>Lay down your arms accept your predestined fate
>I am a mighty Titan far beyond your ken
>And know this now...
>I am immortal but you all can die!

Still working on perfecting the last verse there, not a fan of it.

He's driven by the understanding that his kind cannot coexist forever with humanity as the major species, as his kind was made as a weapon by Dragons to replace humanity. So he knows that eventually either his kind will succeed in what they were literally brought into this world to do, or they will be exterminated to prevent that, so he'll do what he must to achieve the former to prevent the latter.

Boredom and specieism. And the fact that he likes to hunt. Everything. He likes to hunt small rodents, cats, crocodiles, griffins, humans, dwarves, elves, dragons, jinns, elementals and etc. He likes to hunt everything. He hunted down some pretty unique specimens, including a princess from elven kingdom that he turned to stone and installed in his garden.

He is a bored rakshasa archmage and he loves his hobby.

Still working on them, here are some writing attempts.

After being laughed at and denied entrance into an monastery on account of his stutter, partly, and other flaws members of the order have have attributed to him, he is now boiling with the need for revenge. He can prove he is better than them - at least he has more power now, after the voice came to him in the dark of night and shown him the way. Now, how many worshippers exactly does a living god stop at?
> t. Cleric \ ?

Having grown up on the streets and gotten through all the humiliation and brutality, he has embraced them and lavishly shared violence with every enemy on his way to the top. Magic was always a mystery to him, and a powerful one at this. Having attained decent skills through his stealing of Vizjerei treatises coupled with buying or extorting education, he is finally ready to reach for the crown.
> t. Wizard \ Rogue

She didn't think the grief will cling to her with such persistence even after the ill and frail depart - after all, a Church's member, and a high-ranking one at this, must not give in to sorrow. But maybe it's something dark about her family she doesn't yet remember. And there is still a worthy way - to make sure no one ever will die in the days to come. This may be achieved with the use of gol artifact, surely it must be fit for the great deeds, having come from the same crypt as emperor Velentas' flaming sword.
> t. Cleric

They never said she would still feel, albeit muted feelings. But, she ponders, it's not like someone could predict this cruel joke this God-forsaken world has played on her. Formerly a forester's daughter, now a thing with claws, her body's desire eroding sanity, the smell of tasty dead flesh always on tongue's tip no matter how far she went in her want to break this torture. Simple yet enticing resolution arrived the other night: what if it's really just a God's test for her?
> t. Rogue \ Fighter \ Assassin

4e user

>Holy Mountain
You are a gentleman of culture and good taste

He's Elektor, one of the twelve gods of the religion of the empire the players are a part of, known as the Sun and Lightning God. His true nature was of a Watcher-type angel among some others that decided to let the mortals worship them as gods, instead of the one creator god that actually created and ruled everything.
The creator, Avarat, decides to take care of things by sending his twelve archangels to judge all the watchers, who win without a single struggle. Mortals saw the "wave" of archangels moving through the world, sometimes destroying whole city-states and nations, as a Flaming Flood. The Watchers lost all their power.
Some of the "gods" were imprisoned, and thousands of years later some may even have been even set free, to roam the earth as Penintent, but that's another story.

Elektor was one of the less fortunate ones, since he was essentially killed. His soul still exists as a thing that can hardly interact with the world, but the fact that he's still worshiped by an entire empire has kept him going this whole time, so he's come up with a plan to reincarnate himself, using the hopes and dreams of a destined adventurer, the wielder of a magical pendant. His old kingdom lies in barely standing, cursed ruins beneath the earth, but if (when) the adventurer discovers the place, and reaches his throne, if the adventurer chooses to, he can reincarnate. Otherwise, he'll have to do it the hard way and attempt to kill the adventurer.

Wasn't that the screaming skeleton fighting !notLidda?

>stannis
>villain

Holy Mountain is a ceaseless stream of self-indulgent weird visuals. El Topo at least has a plot.

He's the previous hero who wound up on the wrong side of history. He failed to defeat the previous BBEG (who effectively cursed him with immortality as well, just to be an asshole) whose plan succeeded but so much time has passed that everything has eventually become Status Quo™ again, making him the saint of a new religion and the previous hero the ever-living anathema.

He is completely jaded, devastated, and tired, utterly bereft of desire or drive. He lets himself slowly rot away hidden from the world, except for the occasional adventuring party that believes he was the cause of all the devastation thousands of years ago. He used to try to explain the facts of history to these people (he has plenty of evidence to support his claims) but he's long since realized that it's pointless because of extreme dogma and the reality that, even though he lost and evil won, the world moved on and doesn't give care in the least. Half the time he hand-waves himself out of the situation (he's pretty powerful, as he was able to fight toe-to-toe with what was functionally a demi-god) and the other half he just lets the adventurers "kill" him, only for him to reappear later.

He's ever more defeated as he realizes that his ascent to being the most atrocious "evil" that has ever defiled the lands is the only thing keeping the fragile unity of the world intact. In a way he is a hero, but he never wanted to be a target of hatred and he believes the cost to achieve this sort of "peace" was simply too high.

The sentence you just wrote is a stream of meaningless diatribe so ineffectual in application it comes off as nothing more than buzz-words.

What do you even mean by "self-indulgent weird visuals"? How do the visuals indulge themselves, and how is such a feat of cinematography a bad thing? "Weird" is a completely meaningless critique, especially in the realm of art. "Weird" is used to say "something that stands away from what is normal", and that is neither an intrinsically negative thing nor is it particularly uncommon for art or film.

What do you mean by ceaseless? The movie has a beginning and end, doesn't it? How can it be ceaseless? Arguably, a movie that simply continues infinitely with no perceivable end would be a miraculous work of art, as it would defy both logic and the laws of physics.

I believe you have legitimate criticism (I've never even seen the movie, so I have no reason to doubt that it is nonsensical), but rewrite your criticism to use less vague language. Don't try to combine several ideas into a single sentence, or try to truncate a complex idea into a brief statement. Especially don't use "fancy sounding" words that don't convey your meaning very well or are entirely illogical to use in the context of your critique.

You'd be better of saying something like, "Holy Mountain is simply a series of disjointed visuals that convey no greater narrative or context, with little in the way of plot to connect those visuals together. El Topo, at least, has a plot."

Amir Al'Sama Alsabea (Real name Salat Al'Qimaama) is the self styled pirate lord and breaker of chains. He believes that the great sin of the world is slavery. Slavery to gods, to kings, and to men. He is a folk hero to some, and chaos to others. Getting captured by slavers purposefully to lead mutinies and revolts from inside. Killing the captors and creating lieutenants to build his cult of personality and piracy. He believes that fate as a literal being is his mistress, and her strings are the gentle antithesis of the chains he so hates.

Amir has recently come to the conclusion that his work is too great to risk it going undone, so he developed a new plan. Manipulate the great slaving nations into open war, and use the chaos to install leadership that he has more control over. At least, this is the line he feeds to his followers.

The ironic part is he makes liberal use of mind control magic, and throws the lives of his men away with little regard.

Ambition, power and the honest ability that he can lead his House and it's people to a greater future. While following the letter and spirit of the Laws of his land, he will mercilessly pursue his goals.

>Pic related is inspiration, only he succeeded

My cillain is actually group of Angels whom after aeons long watch decided to fuck it all, due to little by little infection called humanity.

So, they incited civil war between humanity, beastfolk and demons.

Also, after Angels as a whole went to war to get mortals of each others necks, this council performed unholy act and sealed heaven, causing everyone to be locked on mortal plain or to head towards damnation which is Hell.

This all was followed by fall out between council members, assassinations and God-power being stripped from Heavens and now it bounces from mortal to mortal which Demons and Angels desperately hunt to gain it.

I'm sorry pal, I have no desire to engage in insanely autistic semantic arguments on Veeky Forums

Doctor Corbett is scientific genius/madman living in the greatest time to be a scientific genius/madman: the post-apocalypse.

He's driven purely by scientific curiosity, nothing more, nothing less. He was molded towards that end-possibly literally within a vat- by his mentor, Professor.

There's an AI hellbent on exterminating sentient life in the galaxy and an eldritch though the eldritch isn't exactly aware that it's even fighting anything

Well it was a satyr witch that was trying to summon a huge demon, but once the demon was summoned, she laimed she was under mind control and now the party has to try and play nice with a satyr that's been tricking them and kicking their asses (and could be lying about the mind control) so they can get rid of the demon. The demon is here because it wants to get revenge on the paladin orders that sealed it away.

And here we have a post from "autismo the great."

An old ass god who got chained up for dicking over the rest of the gods, who went mad and suicidal through centuries of isolation and started manipulating the mortal world to make adventurers venture into his prison and murder him.....
I mean, it sounded okay when I thought of it.

Power, with pride as a fatal flaw.

The Big Bad, a lich, began to summon an elder evil in an attempt to achieve apotheosis, got smacked down by a bunch of religious fanatics, and now, sealed in a tomb, is manipulating his descendant -- one of the player characters -- into a series of actions that will lead to his release.

Then, he's going to try it all over again.

Maybe the party stops him. Maybe the help him.

Either way, the elder evil is hungry.

I'll bite. Waiting for my order.

>self-indulgent weird visuals"? How do the visuals indulge themselves
First off you purposefully misrepresent clear English to undermine your opponent, POOR ARGUMENT TECHNIQUE. In this case, the visuals are self-indulgent for either the creator or the end user. You know this but have cunningly presented yourself as a retard no doubt as a ruse.

> "Weird" is a completely meaningless critique, especially in the realm of art. "Weird" is used to say "something that stands away from what is normal", and that is neither an intrinsically negative thing nor is it particularly uncommon for art or film.

WHAT COLOR IS THIS BLUE BOOK?! BLUE IS A MEANINGLESS COLOR ESPECIALLY IN REALM OF BOOK COVERS. IT IS USED TO SAY "SOMETHING BLUE THAT STANDS AWAY FROM THINGS THAT ARE NOT BLUE." AND THAT IS NEITHER INTRINSICALLY NEGATIVE NOR IS IT A PARTICULAR UNCOMMON BOOK COLOR.

>What do you mean by ceaseless? The movie has a beginning and end, doesn't it?

Again your deceptive means of acting like a fully rigged retard is reinforced by the purposeful misrepresentation of valid English. Like so
>buzz-words
What do you mean by buzz-words? Do you mean that when spoken they issue a audible buzzing? That would indeed defy the laws of logic, physics and also Vatican law, as well as all other laws cataloged by man. Except Buzzfeed.

You'd be better of attacking the argument with something resembling a clear, coherent, plain language.

He spent most of his life dirt poor and abused as a second class citizen. Watching his father's execution as a child stirred the fires of rebellion. With the aid of the party they over threw the corrupt lord of the manner, and then slaughtered all of the rich. The party helped with the plan, but didn't know killing the innocent was part of it. The party fled hoping to never hear from them again. Now this man leads his regime to destroy all titles of nobility and shatter the feudal system they're all a part of. He's now the leader of a bunch of communist terrorists

Thousands of years ago they were a sorceror of truly exceptional power, who sought to join the ranks of godhood. Everything they've done is in pursuit of that goal.
50 years ago they wiped all life off the face of the planet and raised them as their slave, then poisoned the air so no-one could ever walk the surface again just so theirs is the only voice left in this world, but still the big shots upstairs aren't listening.
They've abandoned the mess of the world they left behind now, attempting to tunnel straight through the fabric of reality into the heavens directly.

They don't affect the PCs directly and probably never will, but they're the reason undead skeletons from the surface keeping raiding their shit and the Drow force them to choose between a life of slavery or a torturous death.

>Implying he isn't

Fu Buzan's a lazy power-hungry cunt.

He wanted to gather the [Ancient Artifacts] and use them to claim the powers of the [Lost Civilisation] and unite the scattered humanity under his rules, but could not be bothered to do any actual exploration and adventuring by himself.
He learned divination magic so that he could hire people to do the hard work and know when to trust them and when to fuck'em up.
He also got himself a navigator underling, whose work was to sail the PCs around the islands, spy on them and report to him, while he was basically waiting for things to happen.

No sense of right and wrong, not a single fuck given. When the PCs finally beat him he just politely surrendered, knowing that they were honor-bound to bring him to justice.