How would you go about making a monk villian?

How would you go about making a monk villian?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArrogantKungFuGuy
dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Bacterian
l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Kokujin
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He learned 20 years worth of kung fu in five years by skipping the discipline part.

I would personally make the monks into a cult of martyrs deciding that the human race were meant to doom the earth, taking it upon themselves to do the right thing and destroy every empire, giving every man and woman the choice of castration and recruitment or death, leading the human race into a decline until we all die without offspring.

Props if you also lead the players into questioning their own motives, and that maybe the monks are actually "right" in the long run.

The leader of the monks might have the power to predict devastating weapons cabable of leveling cities and mountains alike, harvesting life in the millions.

For every taken life, the monks carve a scar on themselves, to honor the person. The leader is a big burly bearded mess of scars covering his every layer of skin.

He's very sad to see such incredible and noble heroes fighting with ignorance, and tries his best to convert you, but will give you all a swift humane death if that is what it takes.

See, though, that ALL THAT MATTERS IS PURE POWER you'd see with Raoh or your average fighting game antagonist doesn't really work when monks are shit in all systems they're in except maybe DnD 4e. You'd expect their philosophies to be more complicated.

Make a normal villain, then give him an excuse to know martial arts.

Han from Enter The Dragon. The guy runs a criminal empire, is a master of Kung fu, has a bunch of Kung fu minions and lieutenants, and has a signature weapon. Can't get any more monk vilian than that.

Base him on the Dalai Lama

>brainwashes peasants with a religion that tells them to worship the ruling class
>said religion places him in the ruling/elite class
>the peasants have to do slave work for him otherwise they won't come to heaven and instead will be devoured by demons

Even better if he, like the Dalai Lama, gets support from various good natured but tricked countries.

Chinese propaganda bot detected.

I'm a big fan of the mild mannered dude who rips his shirt off and turns into a hulking bastion of pure rage.

Also maybe go the Senator Armstrong route and have a figure who spends most of his time in the shadows, plotting and scheming. Doesn't come off as the kind of guy who could kick your ass, but when shit gets real, he's more than capable of beating your ass to death

So I see they let you beyond The Great Firewall to post the party goodfacts. Do they pay you in unrestricted good searches?

Ravana? He got all his power from praying and meditating super hard.

>He learned 20 years worth of kung fu in five years by skipping the discipline part.
So he basically asspulls his way to power, probably taking all kinds of detours into magic classes to overcome the monk's inherrent suckiness? I like it.
Maybe he can also master the power of WAKU WAKU

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArrogantKungFuGuy

>tvtropes
ugh

>ugh
BBEG

Doomfist?
>Punchy
>Disciplined
>Consistent philosophy that acts as a core value

Call him "Betty."

He wants society to live an ascetic lifestyle filled with moderation, meditation and discipline. Naturally all the dumb proles are against it, and so are aristocrats.

The villain makes his point by targeting places that symbolize excess and luxury. His goons will attack marketplaces, burn inns and breweries, break knights' swords and lances on their knee before breaking their arms and sending them home with shame.

Kind of warlike air nomads I guess.

This

OP said villains. This guy is a hero fighting against monarchy and magical tyranny.

power hungry Kung fu disciple who killed his (and the players´?) master, because he didn´t want to teach him his ultimate technique. Now our Kung Fu killer searches other ways of becoming the most powerful kung fu master while murdering other masters all over the country and hoarding a cult following of murderous kung fu disciples around him.
It´s like you guys don´t even watch movies

How about with less punching and more theological schism?

A perfect assassin striking in plain sight. Unremarkable in his merchant's clothes, his plain face and manner making him extremely forgettable, and of course, his ability to function at a super-human level without weaponry makes him able to infiltrate and strike at hard to reach places.

I like tying Monks to lawful evil outsiders, specifically Efreeti, if we're talking about D&D. Maybe he's a cheesed-off ifrit or something, who wants to use his discipline over body and his superiority to Material Plane races to dominate and spread his influence.

The monk is a super strict ascetic and views suffering and self denial as the way to achieve spiritual enlightenment, he's super nice but actively works towards keeping quality of life as low as possible, on the plus side at least he's trying to drag the aristocracy into the same shit hole the peasants live in

> kung fu

> skipping the discipline

So he'd just suck at kung fu? You can't stand on a willow branch if you sneak off for a cheeseburger twice a day

He probably means the whole, self-improvement and inner peace sort of thing, just doing kung fu for the sake of the power. So he has the training, but not the mentality.

i would make him an over eager vegitarian.

dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Bacterian

He fights dirty. Swamp-ass dirty.

The monk, in his studies, has happened across an ancient fragment of parchment that has keyed him in to the fundamental nature of the universe, and he has found that it is a fraud.
The monk seeks to deliver everyone from the false reality into what lies beyond, and seeks to do this by truly awakening himself.
The intensity of his meditation and the purity of his focus has sundered the moon and sent stars falling from the sky. Unexplainable echoes filter in through the seams of reality, and derealization runs rampant through the kingdoms of man.

>Doomfist
>Villain
>falling for the "Overwatch are the good guys" meme
Hope you like it when your complacency leads to a second omnic crisis

He fought for the right reasons but using the wrong methods.

Goals don't justify the means

>tfw you cannot instantly master what others take years to do

>t. Yoga-practicing peroxide blond coeds who list their person interests as "travel and having fun" posting from their iPhones in defence of the Dalai Pedo

Only if you fail at achieving them.

Americans didn't exacting have to face trials for firebombing civilians or nuking them.

>t. brainwashed Chinese serf

Nobody said American leaders were Good, user.

The Communists tried to do the impossible, to unite China under a single banner. Like every Chinese empire preceding them in 4 millenia they will likely fail.

But at least they industrialized the land.

>MMA fighter as villain
lol

There are no good leaders. Once you reach a great enough scale, you will have to do evil things just to keep going.

Just don't forget to make this one as smart as possible

Zaheer did nothing wrong

A calm, agreeable and wise man whose goals are simply irreconcilably at odds with the party.

You name them after old bands.

Ends justify means. Only if the ends themselves are justified.

Like this

Geese Howard is an excellent example of a proper LE Monk Villian

Seriously man, haven't you ever played a fighting game?

The villain is M. Bison. He wants to attract the strongest heroes in the land so he can suck out their strength.

>Both of them are female
So this is the power of the vagina! Incredible!

You do know he literally wants to plunge the world into neverending war, right?

Of course I forget my pic

Literally the first quote on

Yes, because his personal philosophy is that conflict is an inherently good thing. Nothing you said disagrees with my post's assertion that Doomfist himself is disciplined and has a consistent philosophy that guides his actions.

A monk/fighter/warrior who has had enough of the player's shit.

Gentlemen

don't skip the discipline part.

Makes him more scary.

Patrician Taste.

You mean a PC

These monks/fighters need a trifusion in both design and philosophy.

>Zaheer+Raoh+Bane
>Baneerao

The Omnics were never actually the problem. Talon started the crisis to begin with to keep the world from becoming post-scarcity.

Hi.

Using class statistics for a villain is a mistake

What do you use then?

A whole goddamn family of them

Garou already lost like twice. He's already irrelevant.

I wonder if the series will end with everyone teaming up just to give Saitama a good fight.

Was going to post this.

He is a villain in story of the main character and his ways are overly extreme, like killing people. The true test of storytelling in this case would be to present a compelling argument so players wouldn't join him - like how he wants to kill Korra, she and her friends won't join this dude even if they share his beliefs, because they value other things far beyond.

Lots of good answers here. I've often been partial to the Jade Empire bad guys. The Lotus Assassins were definitely a cool force to fight but their internal model was doomed to eventually fall from all the infighting. Something like that but not retarded would work.

I've often thought about making a Monk/Swordsage that just embodied the Way of the Closed Fist as a villain npc, but also just using Bladed Thesis from within the game would do well, whether when he was alive or dead.

EVIL.

>Roll vs. Theology (your religion)
>Critical success: You find a flaw in the religion, and come up with a way to fix it
>Success: You find a flaw in the religion, but don't know how to fix it
>Failure: You find no flaw in the religion
>Critical failure: You THINK you find a flaw in the religion and a way to fix it, but you're actually just completely heretical

>Heihachi
>villain
kys devil shill

>Let's ruin the entire schtick of our series by making it into a retarded political statement.

It's Kreia all over again.

Bane

Wasnt there a legend of korra villain like that? The one that could float and shit

Just make him Shang Tsung

You should know already, just as we all exhale and inhale, China will rise and fall.

all of the other answers in this thread are incorrect.

Seemingly kind and devout monk secretly practices a dark, forbidden art. Like bloodbending, or your regional equivalent. Easy.

Cliche would be corrupted somehow. Ki goes off balance, gets into spiritual combat with a demon that kicks his ass and makes him his bitch, finds a mystical artifact that has some dragon spirit residue, some shit like that.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I like to create circumstances where the party goals are diametrically opposed with the goals of the villain in such a way that the villain isn't out to do wrong, but to stop the party, even at significant cost.

When did Geese get Down's syndrome and grew tits.

You go the necromantic monk route, and hold a Mortal Tournament for the best fighters across the globe.

Wizards not welcomed.

I want to play a Hokuto game. What system could I use to simulate manly men blowing each other up with punches?

The fighting game genre and anime are literally a treasure trove for this sort of thing. For all the shit monks get in DnD/PF style ttg, it's well established in many other genres and mediums that an uncontested master of unarmed combat is an extremely dangerous foe. You'd have to be a real shitkicker if you're beating armed opponents or supernatural magic with your bare hands.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a sucker for the bloodthirsty kung fu guy who's only working for the villains because they promised him worthy opponents. Pic related.

>Learns an esoteric style of martial arts from a kindly old man
>Begins his own rise to power
>Kills his fellow student in the process (pissing off his two sons who will haunt him for the rest of his life)
>Becomes crime lord of one of the toughest cities in the USA
>Is constantly hurled from towers, but always somehow survives
Geese is classically trained, but his ambition is boundless and his means are ruthless. When he has to get his hands dirty, you know you're in trouble.

A generally good monk who strives to achieve enlightenment. Finally does but! Instead of becoming one with the universe makes contact spiritually with some elder horror. To him it is what he has meditated and disciplined himself for his entire life, from his point of view he has attained inner peace.
For a campaign about this, the monk would go around giving enlightened bits of wisdom to towns he passes through, but they are instead corrupting words in the elder tongue that spread like a disease through word of mouth. From the monks perspective he is helping so many people, all seems right due to the subtle corruption.

You. I like you.

I'd prefer Baoheer

see

Surprisingly easily, actually. Just make them follow an evil ideology. Shit like "the act of murder is greater than meditation and leads to enlightenment," or "vengeance is a transformative process that destroys the self, bringing one closer to enlightnement."

Or, just make them Mad.
l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Kokujin

The monk can be an insidious evil. So obsessed with the teaching of his order that he retaliates against everyone and anything that exists against his worldview.

Kokujin from L5R is pretty rad.
>Attains enlightenment but it breaks his mind. He ends up seeing that he's been lied to and his god is flawed.
>Seeks more POWAH from more gods, ends up getting blessed by evil bad god, too awesome to be corrupted.
>Makes a bunch of evil as fuck swords.
>Makes a bunch of evil as fuck monks.
>Makes moves to learn the true name of Satan.
>Nearly topples an Empire that has existed for more than a millennium.
>Constantly searching immortality so he can fuck shit up for longer.

I know it's capeshit, but I still think he fits the bill.