>Previous thread:
"Stop letting threads die" edition

Other urls found in this thread:

tor.com/2013/05/06/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you/
dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gold_Dragon
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ha, dead

>"Stop letting threads die" edition

Bitch, I made the last 5 threads. Give me a break.

I don't know, but some people do fill it up. I have seen the description spam. I do not, but I don't have a very visual imagination.

Not really a D&D related question,I'll ask it nonetheless. Is asking for money for gaming sessions an asshole move? I'm a forever DM and play regularly with some friends and friends of those friends. We always play at my place since I have enough space and a "gaming table". At some point I simply asked for a little compensation since I always provide my room, there is always enough beer and liquor available and I'm the one who has to spend his spar time preparing adventures.

It really isn't about the money, but about proving a point. My party consists of 8 players. Two of them never bring anything. No snacks, no drinks no food. One player simply has no time. He and the other six agreed to put some money together each game night. The eighth one called me greedy and stated that I should work if I want money. Which I obviously do. It's not like i would go to work for 80 euros in what is easily a 10-12 hour shift. I do it for the fun. This player is employed as an engineer at a large german car manufacturer. Therefore, it can't be about the money.

I'm just a bit shocked by his reaction. I thought my request was more than reasonable. Especially because even with this money i would spent some money each night. It's not like it would be enough to cover the costs.

Ok guys, I need an idea for character that is a DMs nightmare.

Backstory is, that a player of my group always critizes what I do as DM and always accuses me of railroading. He does that, because I, obvioulsy, prepare an adventure for each session. Within this adventure the players are pretty much free to do as they want to. All other players like my DMing, even though I know I'm nowhere near being a great DM. That player always tries to go against plot hooks. Let's say the party sees something falling from the sky, crashing into a nearby forest, he always will chose not to investigate and do something completly else. The rest of the group always disagrees. One time we agreed, that we'll do what he wants (I had the hope, that he would shut up afterwards). So I improvised a complete session. He was mad because I haven't had any battle plans for this session. Obviously, we already decided to kick him. However, we didn't tell him yet and forced him to DM his own session. And since I like the taste of revenge I want to fuck him up game wise.

Today during d&d I got into a debate with one of my buddies on the way home about the practicality of boob-plates. He seems to believe that they would be more comfortable and needed for women's armor but I tent to lean that a female warrior could and would just wear normal set of plate just fine.
This isn't really a d&d question but with no women that we know we could ask I bring this to you, d&d thread, what do you think?

Some AL groups all chip in a dollar a week so that the DMs can buy the new supplements and give us fancy certificates for any magic items we earn so it's not entirely unreasonable.

Don't let them drink your booze. If that player wants to drink, he should bring his own

Boob plate curves strikes directly toward the center of your chest where all your important bits are. It is also apparently not considerably more comfortable unless you have very large breasts.

It is by most accounts practically inferior to a more normally shaped chestplate in every way. Including looks.

Having said that, though, I'm not sure that the pic in 's post is really "boob plate" as we tend to use the term. It seems to jut out a big around the boob area, yes, but I don't see a discernible dip between the boobs.

tor.com/2013/05/06/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you/

We play tonned down fantasy so that would be as close to a boob plate as you would see in our settings that would be used practically. It would just be a pain to make is all.

I want to change Iymrith in Storm King's Thundder from a blue dragon to an Empyrean, /5eg/. The reason being that Iymrith's ultimate motivation for everything she's doing as it stands - "I want to add the Wyrmskull Throne to my horde" - seems a little weak, and also that my group is a bit dragon'd out after running through HotDQ/RoT.

I want to change things so that Iymrith is instead a daughter of Annam from eons ago who helped Annam establish the Ordning in the first place - but with the desire of setting herself and her own get of giants, the ash giants, on top. Annam rejected the ash giants' position about the storm giants, though, placing ash giants beneath them. In a huff over this, Iymrith and her ash giants left the Ordning and Ostoria altogether, settling in southern lands. They helped Netheril when it rose millennia later, but most ash giants were wiped out when Netheril fell (and the ones that weren't became death giants with no particular loyalty to Iymrith). Iymrith blames Annam for this, and so has used Annam's sundering of the Ordning to worm her way into Hekaton's court with the intent of taking over the Ordning as she tried to do centuries ago.

Funnily enough the CR of an Empyrean and an ancient blue dragon are the same, although from looking it over the Empyrean seems a bit more squishy.

Anyway, thoughts on this?

what are command words?

or is that from an old edition?

My idea for you is to give up your hate and carry on with the game you enjoy.

Kick a player who needs to be kicked, but do not dwell on it.

Six of them are really close friends. So they can drink and eat whatever they want. I usually cook for them as well. With those six I meet regularly, everyone invites everyone from time to time. As I said, I don't really care for the money. I earn good money and my wife an I won't ever have kids, therefore I'm free and willing to spend it. And I like being a good host. We had two students who played with us for two years. They were always broke, and of course I didn't even asked for anything.

It's no big deal to ask for a little bit of money, especially if you put that money into DnD stuff. I personally have never asked, but all the books, playmat and minis are super expensive. So when my buddy who is forever a DM asked for help buying Curse of Strahd, I just bought him the book.

> Is asking for money for gaming sessions an asshole move?
I don't think so, but i can see how bringing money into relationship that was fueled purely by the power of friendship could make people uncomfortable.

How would you feel if your mum would ask for money for the dinner she made? Her making dinner is taken for granted. (As it is taken for granted that you will take care of her when she's old.)

I feel that bringing money to friendship ruins certain... safety and certainty i receive from it, that is important to me. If i pay my friends and i am unable to pay, will they stop being my friends? Is friendship paid for? I can rationally see how it's not the case, but it _feels_ wrong.

That said i believe you are entitled to something in return. I usually try to repay my GMs by bringing snack, cola and paying for their pizza - exactly because bringing money directly to a table is... weird.

PHB, p. 223

Thanks for the advice. Problem is, this one guy isn't essentially a friend of me. He is a friend of a friend and overall an okay guy and more importantly a very good player. I simply was a bit upset that he never contributes to any effort. The suggestion was actually to either pay a bit or bring something on your own. Obviously that led to everyone bringing something AND paying the money. I think I'll stick to it nonetheless and invest the money in game related stuff I wouldn't have bought otherwisely. There is a guy in my town who builds models of dungeons and castles, I'll probably let him build my parties head quarter

Is sunbeam a good spell? My druid is about to hit level 11 and I need a good spell

This.

Size and shape may well matter as far as the angle of the front plate but individual cups are almost always a bad idea. The rare exception I've seen is a 3/4 cupped design that had the sternum area excised, intended to be coupled with a double-thick shirt. The re-enactor it was designed for was extraordinarily large enough in the chest that she actually required that much support to be able to physically perform the needed movements. That's about what it would take.

Sounds fun. It would also be a good way to go if you were using SKT and someone at the table had already played it to te end once before.

I played pathfinder for the first time a week ago. Im surprised at the whole spells per day thing. I expected to be stronger. Only 5 spells per day is bullshit. No way this shit can compete with what todays generation is used too. Wow and diablo etc. Also spells need components and words is so old school. Maybe some should...my suggestion...make the game harder. And easier to understand.

What did he mean by this?

It's pretty good. 6d8 radiant in a line with possibility to blind, and you can do it 10 times provided you don't drop concentration.

You can't expect much from pathfags, like posting in the right general.

It penetrates, right,

>A beam of brilliant light flashes out from your hand in a 5-foot-wide, 60-foot-long line. Each creature in the line must make a constitution saving throw.
Yes.

Excellent!

How bad would a high wisdom variant human fighter with magic initiate druid who fights using magic stone be and what spell would you take?

I mean I guess it could work?

Create or Destroy Water with the Shape Water cantrip is a decent combo for Magic Initiate-Druid, though if you're going WIS fighter Shillelagh seems like the obvious choice.

So basically you're sacrificing every other turn to pick up rocks?

It would be worse than either a regular druid or a regular fighter, but maybe you don't care. The best first-level druid spells are Healing Word, Goodberry, and Faerie Fire.

It's a bonus action to cast Magic Stone, it affects three rocks at a time, and you can just have a pocketful of rocks.

Or a Bag of Ball Bearings (x1000), or a Bag of Sling Rocks (20)

It'd be pretty bad. Even if you applied Archery FS to it, there would be absolutely no advantage over using a shortbow, nevermind a better weapon like a longbow.

It's just consuming your bonus action and making your MAD for no tangible purpose.

Ball bearings are an abomination against nature.

Panic. Where do I find stats for a young adult gold dragon? I can only find young or adult.

Young adults do not exist.

You're rolling with the wizards and shit. Who cares?

Well. That's inconvenient.

Is their a construct or undead template around?

In 3.5 they sure do. Just adjust the stats fuckers.
dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gold_Dragon

I'll be honest; How do I do that? I haven't imported too much yet. Just multiply base stats by 2/3rds and reduce damage to something in between Young and ADult?

Nigga, where do you think you are, 3.5? Template stacking is so 2004.

Could be. I just want a reference of traits/immunities undead or constructs should have. What's the superior 5e master race procedure for that?

Just take a young dragon and buff the stats.

Look at the stats for undead and see what they have in common.

A much better idea would be to use the Average Monster Stats by CR table in the 5e DMG, pick a CR, and add dragon abilities that do roughly the right amount of average damage per round. (Breath weapons should do more because they don't go off every round and they should be scary."

Much less than in previous editions. Undead are usually immune to necrotic, anything mindless is immune to psychic and being charmed or frightened, and absolutely everything is immune to poison and being poisoned.

So I don't actually speak any German, but would you say German is a good example for what Common should sound like? The way you can just cram two words together to make one seems rather good for the "common" tongue, plus German names for people/cities are usually pretty good for fantasy Humans

Is there any spell that will allow me to endure extreme heat or cold?

Common sounds like whatever language you're using at the table. You didn't pick up on that?

so because the rest of my group is out of commission for a while, my friend and I would like to do a one-man slam-jam session, with me as the DM and them as the solitary player. I'm not a dumbass so naturally I'll give them at least one companion, probably a literally mute martial.

Any ideas for a good one-shot that would be fun for just one person to play? It doesn't have to be level one, either, but 8-10 is probably the highest I'd want it to be.

And for what it's worth, I'm fairly sure they'll be playing as a druid.

Investiture of flame/ice from eepc

Fire Shield

Yes but because "muh autism" I'm going to be basing all the languages off real-world ones (Or sufficiently advanced fictional ones like Tolkien's Elf language) if only because it makes worldbuilding easier, ie: human or races that speak mainly common have German themed names, Dwarves have, I dunno, Russian themed ones, Gnomes can be Scandinavian, etc.

Well that site seems a tad biased.

I literally discussed this like three threads and two days ago.

- Abyssal: Tolkienesque Black Speech
- Aquan: Hawaiian
- Auran: Basque
- Celestial: Hebrew
- Common: English
- Draconic: Sumarian
- Druidic: Irish Gaelic
- Dwarven: Icelandic
- Elven : Sindarin
- Genie: Arabic
- Giant : German
- Goblin: Spanish (Goblin/Bugbear - Mexican; Hobgoblin - Castillian/Old World)
- Gnoll: [dog barking sounds]
- Gnome: Dutch
- Halfling: Esperanto
- Ignan: Japanese
- Infernal: Latin
- Orc: Klingon
- Sphinx: Ancient Egyptian
- Sylvan: Welsh
- Terran: Greek
- Undercommon: Cthulhu-esque speech

A deal in the Feywild is sacred, it's practically enforced by the plane itself.
What if a deal is made in the Feywild, but it's broken in some other plane?

Would giving a death cleric potent spellcasting instead of divine strike be too strong with Reaper? Should I just allow it but restrict it to one target?

It means you should avoid faeries. But then, that's just generally good life advice anyway.

Natural weapons normally can't be used as off-hand weapons, right? You have to pick between using claws or a sword?

Endure Elements

Let's assume it's a bit late for that.

I find that prayer generally gives a sense of hope, whether or not you actually have one.

Common is actually characterized as very similar to English: warped by centuries of conquest and full of loan words from all over the place, making it impossible to spell anything.

Draconic has been Basque and Infernal Greek in my game.

>had to put campaign on hiatus because of technical issues and real life
>tfw players will most likely have forgotten everything three times over by the time we have sessions again which should only be in two weeks from now
Should I start out by giving them a session set far in the past to remind them of the awakened big evil they're supposed to defeat, a small side story set in a village or town featuring activity from the big evil's cult or just tell them to read the recap and bring their character sheet to continue where we left last time?

You can't use an unarmed or natural attack as a bonus action unless an ability says you can, such as a monk's Martian Arts.

Draconic is Latin, though.

Undercommon should be AAVE

So if you want Common to be different and have a particular feel, you could use Middle English. Old English would not be loanword-y enough.

If some sort of foreign power has recently been ruling the majority of humans in your setting, make them French.

I guess that's how it goes. Although I see no problem with having a knife in your off-hand and "dual-wielding" that way. Seems logical, as does using just your claws when you have the neccessary feat for doing so.

Why don't you reframe and sum up what's going on at the beginning of each session. I do it every game.

I usually do that but for this campaign my players wanted written recaps of every session posted to facebook instead

>Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
>The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
>And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
>Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Translating to Middle English seems more trouble than it's worth

Anyone here played the .hack IMOQ series? I started wondering last night about how you'd try and replicate the basic design of the Twin Blade class in 5e (i.e. dual wield, agile, relies on flurries of weak attacks do damage). Rogue was my first thought but they don't really have the ability to shit out a bunch of attacks in one go like a fighter or monk.

It's true that Undercommon should not be sinister Lovecraftian slurping. You're thinking of the Deep Speech, the language used by actual Lovecraftian horros in D&D. Undercommon is the retarded grandpa of Common used by underground humanoids.

Got it, it's cockney.

Harder than fucking German? Clearly user wants to do some work.

help me, /5eg/, you're my only hope

Google Translate can do a good enough job. Good luck finding an equivalent translator from Modern to Middle English.

You could use your own pictures as inspiration.
Perhaps there's a powerful creature/being that is terrorizing a small town, and your player is being hunted by them/hunting it down.
It's crafty and will blend in with the populace to hide among them in plain sight, and your player needs to use their cunning and wit to draw them out into the open where they will hopefully have a hectic chase that spans across the entire town, in most buildings, until it is chased to the highest tower, where the final confrontation is had as the townsfolk observe from below.

For reference that first line is pronounced "hwahn ðaht AHprill, wið hees SHOO-rez ZOHT-uh"

So middle English is Indrick Boreale. Got it.

Anybody have that homebrew of the cardmaster lying around in their homebrew folder? The one that draws from a deck and casts spells based on what his "hand" contains?

That Great Vowel Shift really shook things up, didn't it?

The Tournament at Scornubel? Limited danger of death, just a series of games and a mystery.

Surprisingly, pretty much yeah.

Should I be a moon druid even if I want to be a spellcaster above all else? I feel like land doesn't offer much of real value compared to onion HP, even if I don't plan to fight in wild shape.

A feature has no value if you never use it. Take land or co sider one of the UA circles like Twilight or Shepherd

I will never understand why wizards get the recover spells without a long rest and not sorcerers

Because the company is not called Sorcerers of the Coast.

Sorcerers can convert sorcery points to spell slots. In theory it amounts to the same number of total spells.

Paladin 13/Warlock 7 or Paladin 11/Warlock 9?

This mainly boils down to 4th level paladin spell slot vs 5th level warlock spell, but I'm not sure which would work out better

except that using those sorcery points on metamagic is the main way that sorcerer keeps pace with wizard already, who has the same number of slots, more spells at any given time and a bigger list to draw them from.

>20 level builds

Look, you wanted to hear the rationale and I'm telling you. You don't have to like it, but what the fuck do you want from us?

Tons of free HP and eventually flight on demand has value no matter who you are. Nothing land druids get compares even if you never fight as an animal ever.

I can reach the end of one of these classes way before I hit level 20, if I only go about halfway in one and then focus on maxing the other.