Horus Heresy General /hhg/

Rolled 2 (1d26)

Nuke It From Orbit edition
Practical Superweapons subedition

Custodes showed up to inspect local recruiting, the Mechanicum were good at negotiating and a Lost Legion was apparently constructed of CCR fans. Planes decided to hold back out of a sense of fair play, and apparently so did the Primarchs. Horus messed up his pose and the Primarchs continue to be the wrong size. All this and more in the last thread >Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp ()

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub ()
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>STUFF ANONS ASK FOR
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html

>Crimson King
www38.zippyshare.com/v/hT9jpwsK/file.html

>NEW Mega Folder
mega.nz/#F!gaBiVTKI!HTOuNx5zzNxHqT-ny-AU3A

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for the Emperor.

Honestly I'm seriously considering the name Fortunate Soms for the Lost Legion, despite the memery Golden Spiders just sounds...off?

Good taste user. For a special snowflake.

Go with space spiders user, have them ride into battle on giant spiders, accompanied by smaller giant spiders, wielding spider claws and wearing webcraft armour.

>Fortunate Soms
>Soms
Really hoping that's a typo.

Post your badly painted armies. This is my progress so far this year.

Oi! My schtick ;)

Still less irritating than the Salamanders or the Space Wolves, though, and they have quality theme music.

(Spess Whale is currently having it's atrocious wood paint job stripped, then I can start cyberneticing it in a couple days. In the mean time finishing the cyber-occularis.)

What can I say? I like making shit up but half the fun of using an established setting is trying to mesh it well.

Typo on my part. Though, would Fortunate Suns be too much? I'm already toeing the line.

>metallics
>offwhite covered in washes and weathering to hide mistakes
>not super easy

>hazard stripes
Yeah, straight lines are so difficult.

You sound bitter, user. Are you upset that space marines are easier to paint than your poorly recast mechanicum?

Not the user you're talking to, but Mech aren't actually that hard to paint given they tend to have comparatively little colour variation on the complicated bits. Just do them all in your favorite metal colour, wash and then pick out a few details in a contrasting metallic. Do robes, lenses and any glowy bitz or cables, then transfers.

It's just that as a guy transferring from 40k Admech and doing a couple Sons of Horus for base decoration, Space Marines are absurdly easy to paint unless your scheme is something like Lamenters. I'm almost tempted to do some Word Bearers just to enjoy painting them.

What Forge World and colour scheme did you decide on for the beepboops?

Everything is easy to paint if you don't give a fuck, though. You can paint any army with a rattlecan, a couple dots of complementary colors, and that awful army painter dip.

Xanatite, for the Cybernetica (Who will be a bit thin on the ground, basically an Archmagos honour guard, my Thallax and Magi haven't been delivered yet). Pic Related.
Black robes for the big cheeses, not sure on vehicle livery yet. Probably playing on Malinax.

Pretty much, but Marines can be easy tabletop standard with little more effort than that. I don't really begrudge them that, I've been relatively half-assing my 40k Mech for a few weeks to get them out of the way and onto HH.

Sorry I keep filling up the thread with my big fan fanfiction, but things seem slow so I thought I'd bump with a question:
We know the Space Wolves were sent to murder other Legions, but would they be accompanied by other Legions?
I'm just thinking, since with Fortunate Sons (Suns?) are skilled with trap work and their home-world is a huge jungle with complex tunnel cities below, maybe they'd get the Death Guard in on the action, since they are good at reducing environments to mushy goop.
What do you fellows think?

>but would they be accompanied by other Legions?
Walkies.

Well, given the Wolves failed miserably at assaulting a small Legion who had turned off all their defences and were't using their main trick until about the half-way mark EVEN WITH CUSTODES AND TITANS, they'd sure as hell need some more help for a full-size and actually angry Legion.

Stick with Fortunate Sons. Seconding that the SW would be accompanied by other legions (possibly even the Custodes) for backup because they're the HH jobbers, second only to NL, who are just not allowed to win.

"Only the Emperor may scoop my poop!"
>Leman Russ, during an defication altercation in the Palace of Terra

Pahaha, maybe Death Guard and the World Eaters (for Zone Mortalis engagements in the tunnels) could help out? Though I feel this is something The Big A would crow about

What kind of traps are you talking about? Because I thought the Iron Cage was a funny trap and IWs are fond of rigging emplacements to self destruct once the enemy bleeds to capture them.
False walls, hidden phos moats, minefields. Think of it as "prepared ground".

>Well, given the Wolves failed miserably at assaulting a small Legion
They murdered them all though. Only 1000ish managed to escape through unavoidable warpfuckery. There were more TS at Prospero than SW.

It's not much of an accomplishment considering they
>had Custodes, SoS, Ordo Sinister
>had the element of surprise
>Magnus didn't help and ordered his forces not to fight back
But I wouldn't call the Burning of Prospero failing miserably.

Thing is, given they wound up basically wiping them out anyway, could they not have just let the Titans do their jobs and taken way less casualties? Yeah, they won in the end, but when I saw the opposed forces and the situation I assumed that the logical thing to do would be bombard the other side of the planet with cyclonics and see if the Kine Shield would hold up when the planet is exploding. Or, failing that, land the gargantuan unstoppable siege nightmare-engines first, guard their asses and let them do their jobs rather than charging into the city like lunatics and getting owned by red bois.

Sometimes I forget the order was changed from capture Magnus to kill everyone. Let the Titans do their work as the city burners they are.

Everything I've done this year
still have to learn how to take a decent pic

I'm imagining trip-wires that can cut into power armour, connected to krak grenades, pits with marine melting acid, kill zones up the fucking wazoo, real Viet-Cong shit. Plus, as I mentioned before, whole place is filled with thick jungle, the only clearings being for cities, with a large percentage of the population being underground in the tunnel cities.

Dunno how much that'd help matters, but their whole deal is traps and controlling enemy movement on the battlefield and they're on their home turf.

>could they not have just let the Titans do their jobs and taken way less casualties?
No, because both the Legio Mortis and later the Ordo Sinister were occupied elsewhere dealing with the Zhao-Arkhaddian forge fane and its own Titans from Legio Xestobiax.

Prospero. Another example of
>just hit the planet with a cyclonic torpedo

>A
Only the biggest forgeworlds can build Titans, and Zhao is like a single city with a bit of underground shot, nowhere near the planet-spanning manufactoria that is required.
>B
I suppose it makes sense: let the Mortis be the anvil and the Sinistrae the hammer (their main power is regeneration though). That leaves infantry with the task of killing the city of entrenched wizards.

Did you really need two Legio for that? Then have the Death's Heads hold them off, you don't need all of them when you have way more strength and Titanpower. Malinax can help, you just need to stand a couple Warlords off and pound away at the city.

> All three of them had fat, multi-loader missile pods on their backs, and two of them had additional missile packs slung as limb mounts. The combined onslaught would have levelled most small towns.

From Titanicus, and that's just the preliminary missile barrage from three Reavers. When it gets to close quarters with one Reaver and a Warlord you're expending "the entire arsenal of several minor wars". Just line up a Maniple (Half of Mortis' presence there) and tear the place down methodically, Xestobiax can tangle with the other 7 of Mortis, 5 from the Ordo Sinister and the Secutarii/Taghmata along with them. That should be a match for Xestobiax's dozen Titans, especially when you caught them cold.

>Then have the Death's Heads hold them off, you don't need all of them when you have way more strength and Titanpower.
Ordo Sinister was supposed to support the attack on Tizca, then Xestobiax pushed Mortis' shit in and they had to rush over there and deal with problem.

>Lorgar: Bearer of the Word out
How is it? Anyone done reading it?

Speaking of Titans, I've been reading Titanicus and Holy Shit they are cool. What's your favourite Titan, anons? Personally I rather like the Reaver, and the fluff for them and the Titan Princeps is nicely grimdark. Anyone used on in an actual game?

I've always liked the more curvy warhound. It's got a nice predatory look to it which the square one lacks IMO.

>Gav Thorpe
Why would anyone subject themselves to that?

Yeah, it looks a tad sleeker. I'm actually slightly eyeing up the Miranda Irene Reaver Titan, which is £250ish plus weapons. Maybe for a Christmas present at some point. I know some people prefer the Lucius Titans, but they look to awkward and angular to me.

There's a Reaver in Titanicus painted in black-purple, but iridescent like insect carapace, which sounds cool as hell. No idea how you'd get that effect with paint short of murdering far too many beetles, though.

Waiting for it to be uploaded. I'm not going to give miney to Gav

In the past I owned two warhounds and they were utterly fantastic at just rampaging through lines and terrifying people. I would play them often in 40k and in big Apoc games they would live up to lore pretty well. I was a huge fan of how nimble they were.

Now I "only" own a Reaver as I got back into the hobby this year after a few years off. It's very killy and incredibly hardy. I've noticed it scares enemies much more and is more prone to just being pushed closer to death as it terrifies the enemy. It's up for debate on how much better it is than the tactical application of two Warhounds, but my use of the classic weapon loadout for it makes it very capable of shredding literally anything opposing it. On the rare times I'm asked to give it nothing but Turbo laser based weapons the D spam is terrifying and easily capable of ruining friendships. It'll peel through every unit around and its templates make absolutely short work of everything.

Tl;dr: They're AWESOME but are giant fire magnets. The bigger they are the more likely they are to terrify. Play them fluffy or they can piss people off.

Who's excited to get some 2nd end 11th legion lore?

Gimme a bit, I'm still writing the fluff for the Fortunate Sons!

I unironically am. The whole "mystery" is asinine at this point. They've revealed so much that keeping them a secret just seems forced and arbitrary.

they're still a mystery to me. Where has anything ever been said about those two legions?
How does cawl even know of those legions since they were stricken from all records?

>How does Cawl
There's your answer, user.

I was thinking of either a Classic Loadout Reaver with optional Vortex Missile (Converted, of course) or a Turbolaser Warhound with either Megabolter or giant Flamer. No reason not to magnetize the joints, though, so not set in stone. What did the Warhounds use for yours, and what Legio were they?

They'd be working alongside Reductor and possibly Word Bearers, so I was trying to come up with a colour scheme that would not clash with green or red. Thinking the iridescent black I mentioned before, would make Legio Vulturum "Silver, black and white" more interesting than just "Black Templar Titan", or form the basis of a Kydianos scheme. I'm a tad worried I will never actually get the chance to use it, though, since the local GW has 2 4x4 tables total and I see no reason to assume the one in Bath (where I'm moving in around 18 months) would be any different.

When does the exterminatus of Accazzar-Beta take place? When does the main (or overarching) part of Dark Compliance take place, for that matter?

Is it before or after Vengeful Spirit events, mainly.

Also, a little annoyed that the Reaver model has the giant aquila-banner on the neck armour. I'm Renegade Mech, I'm sure as hell not displaying the Imperial Aquila OR a Chaos Star, I just want a Cog Mech.

>How does cawl even know of those legions since they were stricken from all records?
Well he has been around since the Heresy or Scouring at least.

My Warhounds were Legio Ignatum, but campaign colors of red and black with a single set of yellow/black stripes running down the right side of the faceplate; sadly I no longer have pics.

They were magnetized but usally armed with Vulcan Mega Bolters and Turbo Lasers. I did have a spare Plasma Blastgun and Inferno Cannon laying around for the occasional use of horde murdering.

Legio Vulturum would be a good choice too; invest in some Tamiya sprays for your iridescent shades.

Reaver is probably my favorite pattern. Somehow I always think of their machine spirits as being mean and spiteful. Warhounds I generally think of as aggressive and predatory and Warlords as arrogant and prideful.

Too bad this is all just a setup to have Chaos Primaris.

>How does cawl
Because he's ceased to be a character and become a deus ex machina.

Cawl is the deus ex machina answer to the question of "how can we sell truescale marines?"

GW writing ladies and gentlemen.

We know their primarchs were found, we know they fought in the Great Crusade, we know they were eradicated for their crimes prior to the Horus Heresy. We also now know their gene-seeds are in stock.

Quite frankly, now that HH is a thing and we got people from HH era coming back or stepping more into the center stage, I'm with , there's little to no reason for them to remain a mystery. You telling me daemon primarchs nor Girlyman have lost all memory of 2 of their brothers?

I can understand Abaddon and Bjorn not having any clear memory, since it's possible the legions were expunged before their time, and the Emperor probably doesn't want to talk about it, whenever he feels like having a chat.

>inb4 Alpharius and Omegon are the two primarchs, twins separated at birth, rescued by the real 20th primarch from their excommunication

slow clap.avi

>traitors get 11 legions

I doubt anything of note comes from this, other than you having the option to openly field a loyalist EC primaris army, etc.

If CSM are to get their own "primaris", it'd be surely through Bile's experiments. Maybe he acquires some of the primaris gene-seeds and manages to retrofit his own via daemonic means, giving traitors some big mean marines of their own, while not being just spiky primaris. They could even be equipped with some new daemonic battle plate.

You mean you hadn't noticed that the new not-primaris death guard just happen to be as big as the new primaris?

>this is the first time GW has introduced something new and important into the setting

Would have thought people had learned by now...

"Inveniam viam aut faciam." I presume they were rather good at that. Ever had an Engine fight?

I know that my Titans would be scrapping with a Lucius Warhound, at least. Seems fitting, somehow.
The Tamiya purple-green looks about right. Says not to use on plastic, though. Will it work on resin? There's also the Spazstix ones, but they're a tad bright. I want it black with a coloured sheen, not bright blue/purple shiny.

People forget that the Great Crusade was an age of heroes where the only times you would ever hear about the actions of other heroes of the age outside of their immediate zone of control would be through the hard toil of remembrancers or the Emperor's own edicts.

The Word Bearers were beneath the notice of others for the longest time. Alpha Legion was immensely secretive. Ultramarines didn't become a power worth nothing until after Guilliman was reunited with them. Death Guard were more known for their use of rad and chem weapons than for their campaigns. The vast majority of legions didn't give a care about what their other brother legions were doing, with notable exceptions like the Imperial Fists and the Thousand Sons.

Under the immense sea of change, the two lost legions were ultimately lost to much of the Imperium. Thats really all there is to it. But its clear that anyone who (A) participated in the Great Crusade (B) has functioning memory in m42 (C) and has supported the Imperium on a galactic scale would know about them.

Cawl is one such person, him probably being on Mars supporting the Imperial war machine for all 20 Legions. There might be others in Admech from that era, but they didn't keep promises to Guilliman for 10k years.

On a few occasions, but mostly Eldar and Ork titans; the few times I fought Chaos Titans it usually ended up with the infantry finishing them or the Titans trading potshots as they worked on heavy infantry. The only serious engine fight I had was the two Warhounds set up with mixed loadouts fighting a Chaos Reaver loaded for anti-titan gear; while assisted by two ten man Lascannon squads from Dark Angels, so the Reaver didn't last more than three turns.

If the spray is a polycarbonate, you can use it, but make sure to properly google the how-to's if you don't want to fuck it up. You can also use semi-opaque sprays over black too. A clear blue and red over gloss black works well.

Thanks a bunch, user. I'll probably ask /WIP/, I know there's a couple people there who have done something similar for Shiny Thousand Sons. Ideally looking for something a bit like pic related.

Betrayer implies that the lost Primarchs are alive. Lorgar makes a comment pondering if Primarchs can actually die and then Angron reminds him of Ferrus. It seems bizarre that they'd both forget to bring up the two lost ones if they had been slain by Russ. It's not like they would have respected the Emperor's vow of secrecy at that point.

Chaos don't need Primaris because they already got their truescale marines. The rubrics and death guard are huge. They're only a dickhair shorter than Primarines. When the new generic CSM come out they'll be much bigger.

They're alive purely because otherwise Russ would have actually done something in his life.

how many points are these?

Would it be wrong to use bolt rifles for recce squad sniper rifles?

What about using the hellblaster plasma guns as plasma cannons?

I think that would be cool desu

>Would it be wrong to use bolt rifles for recce squad sniper rifles?
ya

>What about using the hellblaster plasma guns as plasma cannons?
na

Why are there more loyalist than traitor IW players?

youtube.com/watch?v=40JmEj0_aVM

Because being a loyalist is objectively superior in general.

Because Pert is a horrible asshole and commands loyalty through fear and ruthlessness.

The Nemesis class myself. It sounds like a halfway between a Warlord and a Imperator.

That or a Komodo because of the name.

autists like steel donuts

>easy canon justification
>cool loyal characters
>tard traitor characters
>loyalty is it's own reward

Because they a best.
Reminder the IW are the go-to loyalists from traitor legions for FW

I've been in a creative rut (not painting, playing guitar etc) and I want to do something to spark some creativity.

Thinking of writing a short story mid-Heresy involving the Night Lords and Alpha Legion.

Basically, it's an excuse for the two legions to out-spook each other with various uses of terrorism. Rough premise is that the Night Lords have come to a small industrial world looking to harvest supplies and sate some bloodlust en route to a more important system for war.

What they don't know, is this world is a recruiting center of the Alpha Legion who clearly won't let the Night Lords have their way.

Opinions?

sounds good, would like to read it, not something that BL put out too often

that gun looks like shit though

I mean, yeah, Dantioch is bro tier, but is he really that cool?

>RG are go-to traitors from loyal legions
I fully approve of this.

bro tier is cool by definition, also Kyr Vhalen

I saved it mostly as an Exodus reference. I would've used a necron weapon for the Instrument

>Dantioch is bro tier, but is he really that cool?
He's the source of like half the IWxIF memes, so I'd say he's cool enough :^)

Eh. RG aren't the first legion that come to mind for traitors from a loyalist legion.

Is he really so cool that everyone has to try and copy his shit though?

Dantilux OTP

Ranking for most canon (BL/FW appearances) of defectors from Primarch's allegiance in HH:

***Loyalists***
Dark Angels
White Scars
Raven Guard
Iron Hands (???)
Salamanders (???)
Space Wolves
Blood Angels
Imperial Fists
Ultramarines

***Traitors***
Alpha Legion
Iron Warriors
World Eaters
Death Guard
Emperor's Children
Sons of Horus
Night Lords (???)
Thousand Sons
Word Bearers

>Alpha Legion
>traitor
Your first mistake.

Alpharius pls. If you stopped slurping up the Cabal koolaid, maybe your hateboner for Girlyman would bring you back to life.

>RG aren't the first legion that come to mind for traitors from a loyalist legion.
>RG aren't the first legion
>first legion
I see what you did there and I approve.

Sangy when?

>Love BFG
>Used to have a massive Ultramarine fleet
>Praying we get a revamp or a HH variation soon

Just let me have my Imperial Fist fleet in themed missions. FUCK.

How can people stand playing marines when the power armour models are so ugly? You either have to choose gangly resin lanklets or stumpy plastic crouchers. Only the BoP mk3 is any good.

Shit taste detected

By not playing Marines.

It's the only mark with reasonable proportions. Prove me wrong.

GW has officially stated that a Horus Heresy BFG is in the works.

No one cares about reasonable proportions. It's fucking science fiction with giant super soldiers.

>wants giant soldiers
>with twig legs

>giant super soldiers
That's the whole point. Wouldn't you want your models to look like super soldiers instead of anorexic supermodels?

I'll join in, coz I took this earlier today while fucking around with lighting. Progress since Feb. Mediocrely painted and almost everyone is missing transfers and edge highlighting as I'm still basically learning how to do that non-terribly.
I should get more tonks but I'm too into making little dudes.

I would read it. If it was a 'real' book I would probably prefer it if you actually went the meme route and it came across as a pure Night Lords book at first, with the opening them doing their edgelord stuff, and then some shit starts to go wrong. And the main char or chars think there's backstabbing or whatever going on at first and paranoia builds up.
And I guess a scene where a NL flays a guy and there's a hydra tattoo on the skin. Or something.

I don't know whether one would actually show the meme legion from their POV at all. Or do a single book duology where the viewpoint switches to the AL side. And I guess you'd have to decide if you want the NL to get BTFO totally, or for some to escape, or for it to end up one of those nihilistic things where both sides just end up fagging it up at each other. I think you could get a cool action scene out of an AL squad thinking they have operated the shit out of some NL and then getting ambushed and torn apart.
Anyway i like your idea and if you do it I would listen to more about it.