>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dm8J-kaezWM
deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-badlands/
games-workshop.com/en-CA/Chaos-Black-Spray-CAN
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Posting a question I had in another thread

I'm working on an Iron Warriors army and I'm wondering how I'd go about correctly carving the eye sockets in pic related to be rounder. What tool would you recommend to round them and not fuck it up?

why not just pick a small enough drill bit? after you do the hole big enough for your needs just cut corners with a scalpel and round them with the drill a bit or the knife you said earlier based on your preference.

Oh damn, didn't think of that. Thanks user, I'll give it a try!

Just reposting this from the other thread to give encouragement to anyone who might be thinking of magnetisation but is worried about trying.
Not the highest quality image, I know, but i'm the guy who made his first model ever earlier in the previous thread (the shas'ui I should probably not have put the arms on before painting). Just made my second model ever, and it's one i've magnetised, a pathfinder with rail rifle. Was really careful and it paid off, works like a charm and looks seamless with them on. They're stable enough that I can pick the model up by the rail rifle and even give it a little shake without them budging but they come off, and go back on, with no actual difficulty. Really happy with how it's turned out and it's my first time trying this, so go for it if you're thinking of it!

Know what'd help? Not forgetting the image like a mong.

Working on a 4 man Grim dark Future : Firefight team, 150 points. This is the basic guy, painting soon.

All my projects. Have a bunch of iron warriors from when I was 15, FSE tau and tan tau I like more because of tacticool reasons. As well as some primaris marines I'll be painting as flesh tearers.

I like the model and pose. I dislike how much paint is already on it.

Same, I kinda want to steal that idea for myself but that model could have really had a bit of a dip in something to strip that paint, when you do get around to painting it the paint might appear alot thicker.

Im hoping the layers of paint will be thin enough to not hide the detail, going with old cron style weathered silver so thickness issues can be blocked out with a weathered metal look

You should wait until you see the other models I've sculpted. I'm quite pleased with myself!

Please post them, I have a bunch of spare crons and am really tempted to do something similar as a project

I'll get some new pics ASAP, got a new phone so the pictures should be greatly improved

Set new table up so an excuse for an army shot. Camera isn't too great at this kind of thing.

that single pile of rocks looks lonely.

I decided I wanted to change up my paint scheme. Ive thrown a couple of options on this image, really just looking for some feed back.

don't think I'm gonna be doing much outside of terrain for the next few months

Here you go :) beautifu collage too.

Okay faggots, here's the thing.
Local game store got two guillimans instead of one in triumvirate box so they sell them seperately now, I really like the model and have a lot of green stuff and time for converting.
How would you say converting him into some ultra chaos lord would look like?
I'm aware changing purity seals into something corrupted and all the imperial insyginia is shitton of work but I love working on hard stuff.
Fielding him would be nice but I don't mind an amazing model sitting in my room.
He has a helmet, right?

Protoss themed eldar - would this custodes painting tutorial be a good start for the gold areas?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=dm8J-kaezWM

Neat! They make me think of robots that have pieced them selves together

I'm going for a tomb, catacombs, ancient, cursed (Almost chaos), temple guard themed force. However the fixed themselves look is very much what I'm going for too!

Expanding into Primaris marines starting with a couple (dozen) boxes of reivers.

Thx for using my template. I like it alot!

>paint in the ferrule ruins the brush
How exactly does this work? If it's in the ferrule, wouldn't it be contained to the length inside it?

what mat? I like the design

Mostly done Bright wizard, still have to clean up some areas and add the eyes, but this should give a good idea of what it will end up as

weeabork update

need help fitting a titan, or half a titan on a 25mm base

Hey /wip/, I'm buying my first flyer this weekend and wanted to know if anybody has any tips for painting cockpits. I want it closed but I'd like to paint it and have it just be glossy but not see through. Would doing a layer of bright silver, a layer of the color I want, and then doing ardcoat or another gloss varnish over it work or would it come out like ass?

deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-badlands/

It prevents the bristles laying together properly and causes them to splay out. The ferrule isn't packed full of bristle, there's room in there for the paint to mess stuff up.

pretty cool but the bottom right dude REALLY needs a head

(reposting from an old /40kg/) What's your preferred method of painting faces? Eyes to be specific. I see so many guides that contradict, some say paint them first, others say paint them last, some say paint the whites first, others the pupil. Is there one method that's better for someone who's very new to faces versus another?

Also, how the fuck do I into blending? My transitions are ass and I don't know what else to do to fix it. The paints are almost as thin as the water when I use them, too. Pic related is my best blends so far, but you can see the obvious color transitions instead of a smooth gradient.

Hello, new minipainter here.
I got memed into buying a chaos black spray for use as a primer.

Safe to say I have a seriously hard time getting the colours to pop over it and everything looks like a trashy boardgame miniature.

What should I use instead?
Thinking grey or white.

Depends what colour you're painting honestly, how translucent it is, and if you want your primer to impact your basecoat. Just like most things there really isn't an Always Correct option.

>Depends what colour you're painting honestly
All I currently have are the colours in this set.

Are you using any apps or softwares to keep track on your paint collection and schemes? I find PaintRack pretty good

Personally, I rarely paint eyes. I think they usually look better as just a dark line than to try and do the hyper-detailed look. When I do do them, it's usually last simply because I like my paint jobs to look ready to play at every stage rather than being shit right up until they are finished (because I know that I leave a lot of stuff half-painted).

That said, I think the best method for doing eyes in general is to leave them until last. You can do a lot of skin tones with just washes, so get that done first. Then you want to do the white, not being too fussy about keeping it inside the lines, red wash to pink it up a little at the edges, iris, pupil, lower lid, upper eyelash line, upper lid. Get the iris and pupil nice and round, then cover up the top half with the lid paint. You might need a coat of white or something to get coverage over the pupil.

For blending, try using acrylic medium (GW call it Lamian Medium, I think) instead of water and breaking up the boundaries between colours with a little bit of noise; a few specks of each colour extending beyond it's line, feathered lines and very thin secondary lines all help.

Honestly though, what you've got there looks pretty good to me. I struggle to get transitions that nice with an airbrush.

Good lord, I never thought of getting that detailed with eyes. I'm mostly looking to just get the whites and the pupil so that my dudes don't look absolutely souless. Most tutorials I see just paint the whites, than a thin vertical line across the eyebrow to the cheekbone, then the clean it up and that's the pupil.

I have two armies, Word Bearers and Admech who are green and bronze.
I want to do a couple Knights, and hopefully eventually a Reaver Titan to ally with either, and I've decided I want a main armour colour like pic related, black with a blue-purple sheen. How would you go about getting that effect? Preferably the purple sheen on the head, but the wings would be fine too.

Chaos black is honestly a perfectly good primer. It just means you will need either high-density paint or a lot of coats to achieve bright colours.

Army painter are rather questionable quality in my opinion, compared to GW and vallejo. Probably better to use a lighter colour under them.

When priming with white, you probably want to back up your spray with some gesso, since most white sprays don't do a great job of covering recesses or providing a nice smooth surface. Mix about two parts gesso to one part water in a spare paint pot or jam jar and just slap it on with an old brush. Work it well into the recesses and don't worry about it being too thick and covering up the detail; it will tighten as it dries.

I want to start a little inq28 Warband as a side project. The problem is, I just started again with the hobby and I don't have a lot of bits. What kind of boxes are bits-full and really fun to convert? I was mostly thinking about the Genestealers cults for some of the bodies, maybe?

Acrylic inks, fancy mediums (pearlecent and interference) and gloss varnish maybe? Be cautious about working with inks, as some of them don't dry waterproof, as I found out a bit late on one of my models recently' fucking stuff kept seeping through every layer of paint.

Any suggestions on magnetizing orks for SWA? Should I just make every option possible? How should I set it up? I know someone on here is doing just that, so I was wondering if they'd give advice.

Yeah, he's got a helmet. Some guy made this a few months ago; I know I saved it from /wip/ but can't remember if someone here actually made it themselves or if they just posted it as an example like I am.

What's the best material to use inside blue stuff press molds?

Working on Emperor's Children Resurgent.
I need to get some finer brushes so I can do details properly and I definitely need to learn the balance for thinning my paints. But all in all, I'm pleased

I'm not even a big fan of Chaos, but that's spectacular.

>Chaos black is honestly a perfectly good primer.
Chaos Black isn't primer, it's basecoat. Link anything from GW that uses the word "primer" to describe it.

arms look very short

thin your paints. both in general, but it will help with details.

Not him, but: games-workshop.com/en-CA/Chaos-Black-Spray-CAN

For real though, anyone? Any tips? I don't want to go out and buy a new model to completely fuck it up testing this out if it won't work

Rate my glowing brain, teegee. The model itself is not finished. Please feedback?

If I remember right, the optimum ork build is basically just to get a boy with a choppa and knife and a yoof with a knife every time you have a chance to recruit. So not really worth magnetising.

Transition on the coat looks OK, OSL is generally in the right place, but the skin around the ears doesn't look good. Get some more green in the mix; it should look like green skin plus blue light, not pure blue light. More turquoise than you have now.

It may look like a gem more than glass imho

RULES OF NATURE

where's bladesquig?

RULES OF NATORK

You want to paint on the outside of the canopy and get a kind of coloured metallic effect?

First of all, don't be too paranoid about fucking up. You can repaint over the top, unlike with a clear canopy.

Silver with a colour over it only really works with translucent paints, like GW glazes and washes. With those, it should look fine, although you may need a few coats. You can also mix them straight into the silver paint before applying it, which can give a more consistent colour.

Add more colours. It looks like the brain is just white and not glowing, but good job nevertheless. You will improve, i believe.

looking good but man do I hate that fig. I've gotta convert a weirdboy or two for myself

Thanks for the feedback, will make adjustments and post

I'm on the fifth layer of Yriel Yellow and shit's STILL not uniform. God damn it why must yellow be such a fucking cunt. Also first paintjob WIP.

I guess technically second since i fucked up the sergeant solo first within 3 layers of paint and stripped him back down.

Currently working on a Nurgle Chariot for my WoC-army. At this point I chiefly have left to determine if the fella' riding the chariot should be wielding a whip or reigns to guide the horses. What do you guys think?
Any other input is welcome, particularly if you think that I could add something more to the model.

holding the reigns

What base paint did you use underneath the yriel yellow?

Thank you! I'm going for purple, so silver with a couple of layers of druchii violet and then gloss it up? I have a couple of leftover heads with visors if I remember right, may test on that first just to be sure.

Yeah I was leaning towards that myself seeing as he got a brilliant pose for it and I have bitz that could easily be converted into reigns.
Still, thank you!

Averland Sunset

I did thin it super hard for the first few layers, to the point where it was mostly a wash. I panicked since last time i didn't thin it enough (or didn't mix it properly) and it clumped and curdled, which NO OTHER PAINT has done until now. I feel like getting the proper mixing of Yriel Yellow down is fucking art in and of itself.

I'd recommend not using actual white for the white or black for the pupil / iris. Colours closer to the skin tone make it blend together a bit and look more natural. A dark line above the white does a lot to define the shape of the eye and make it less cartoonish (see pic). Also, that red wash requires very little time and effort and gives a good effect.

Hey /wip/, putting together a Lord of Change kit and this is what the neck looks like. At first I thought there might be something that's supposed to go in that gap there because it looks like it was deliberately made like that, but going through the instructions there's nothing else that goes on there.

The sides of each feather are very uneven so I can't just green stuff the gap, and while the neck is a pretty damn important piece I can't imagine GW sending me a new sprue just for this one part.

What do I do?

If it makes you feel better, whenever you manage to get them to an even yellow, they're gonna look pretty sweet. Bright yellow always looks cool on Marines.

It's backwards

Really plan ahead on what you want your guys to look like, look at sprues for different kits and check ebay for bitz boxes.

GSC have a good selection of stuff in them, lots of head choices, weapons and a decent body to use as a base for converting, if you want to keep them human sized similar kits to use would be;
Scions have alot of bits in the box, you get options to create both command and basic troops you get a nice mixture of weapons and heads.
IG/Catachan Command squads, again you only get five guys but because they're command you get some nice special looking parts to use.
Skiitari rangers are a bit smaller than the average human models but have some cool options.
Alot of the Freeguild, the old Empire, models will work well with these kits aswell.

Again it all depends on what you want your guys to look like.

It's not backwards, user.

Liquid greenstuff?

Good luck man, lately been trying myself to paint Imperial Fists, although I used a different technique cause I know painting yellow is awful.

Work begins. Doing the yellow detailing, then onto the white.

Thank you user, I'll check those. Unfortunately, most of the cool stuff on bits sites is always sold out :(

What can I use for cables? Guitar strings from Amazon?

Thanks anons. I think i'll try painting the Yriel directly on the light grey primer for the rest of the squad. I have a feeling the Averland isn't helping at all since it's darker than the primer.

Alternatively, i'll try giving it a coat of Screaming Skull on the primer first for some of the squad and see how that turns out.

I can't fill this gap. It would leave me with a bunch of too large lopsided feathers with weird flat spots on it.

Oh the flagellent kit makes a great body base for pious cult or heretics and comes with a bunch of cool bits like giant books, scrolls and hanging trinkets.

Guitar string is alright but I heard just pewter power cables are easier to use as long as theyre thin enough. You could also try greenstuff.

This picture from the website seems to imply it's supposed to be like that

I'll admit I didn't look at the website.
K that makes me feel a little better, but why the fuck would they do that? Looks terrible.

Anyway, thanks user.

>thin_your_paints.png

Hairy ball theorem?

Fuck just give me the model and I'll paint the damn thing. What a travesty.

Would you mind summing that up for me? English is not my first language and I'm mildly dyslexic, so that paragraph is a nightmare for me.

TL;DR of it is you can't have a sphere where all the hairs (Or in this case feathers) go the same way. Even with armor gaps, the lord of change has to have areas where the feathers part, since a lord of change is topologically similar to a sphere.

You don't have to be a dick about it. Having said that...

user, you need to take more time with your minis. It looks like you were in a big hurry to call that done. Mold lines, really thick paint, and the wash looks like you put it in a squirt gun and blasted it onto the model.

Put some love into it. You get out of it what you put in.

I am now dead

Shit, I appreciate the gif. That's really nice. Is the very last color, the one above the eye lash supposed to be the eybrow, the eyelid, or just the part from the eyelid to just under the eyebrow?

Hey guys, question about the Herald of Tzeentch on Burning chariot.

It states it "may be accompanied by three blue horrors", does this mean I glue them to the actual chariot?

Thanks!

I know you're early on but wash that shit

please please thin your paints