EDH/Commander General

Previously RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Did you attend pre release? if you did how did you do? if you did not why?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monarch-mischief/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/obzedad-curse-lock/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-etherium-shaper-competitive-combo/
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Toshiro Umezawa

I've considered a lot of stuff for Mono-B. Toshiro looks pretty fun but I want to try this out first. I'm a mill player; I love alt-wins. Toshiro will be my next in line if this doesn't work out. :)

third for Tetsuo Unezawa

>shitty EV
>most viable EDH card is a promo next week
>WE WUZ KANGZ
>Amonkhet block's clunky mechanics

no thanks

I work Saturdays and Sundays. It's pretty great, I get time and a half, so a full day of pay for six hours of work, but I do need to get up in the mornings so no preres for me.

Post em

Best general for UB Cycling.dec? I considered the Scarab god, but it works really badly with Abandoned Sarcophagus.

I would run Sygg for value. Maybe Drainu?

What is the best boros deck?

Kaalia.

Probably Aurelia or Gisela but, you know. It's still Boros. Depala and Brion are fun enough.

If it wasn't for EDH, MTG would have been a complete mistake. It's the one positive that came out of this trash heap since modern. And pauper is fine too I guess but, you know.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monarch-mischief/

Trying to make my budget Queen Marchesa deck. I included the Sunforger and a decent pack of removal and all the good monarch cards I saw.

Any secret tech I might have overlooked?

>Modern
>positive thing
o i am laffin

>Thread Question
There was literally only three cards I wanted from the set and my brother got two of them from the prerelease he went to as is. I'll just buy a God-Pharaoh once he drops down to around $10 and patiently wait for Ixalan, AKA The Return of Hype.

I'm building an Edric deck, any underrated cards I might be missing out on?

This fucker. He may be hard to cast at BBB, but No Mercy is like $15

modern is dog shit and literally only serves to make a small group of people rich at the expensive of a huge amount of retards. buying into modern should earn you a bullet to the back of the head

What colors will you be using?

I've always been a fan of Grave Pact/Dictate of Erebos/Butcher of Malakir. Being in White, you can also run Martyr's Bond.

Is prerelease stuff still going on today?

Yup, im at mine right now

I love this art and wish it were available black bordered nonfoil.

7th edition has one of the best magic aesthetics of all time but is held back by the borders.

>never played mtg before
>hear about commander and it sounds like a lot of fun
>get a pile of cards off of someone and the only legendaries are stangg, ambassador laquatus, nemata of the grove and ihsans shade

After doing some research it seems like some of the cards are good for edh like Rogues Passage, Swiftfoot boots, Buried ruin, Evolving Wilds and Blighted Woodland but it doesn't seem like I have much to go off here. I have a lot of ramp green cards though so that seems alright. What's some fun stuff to do with Nemata? Also are there any good starter decks etc to look out for?

>Also are there any good starter decks etc to look out for?

Most of the precons are actually not bad so just look at them and choose one you like

Yeah, I was considering Sygg since he's the most "Yeah, sure". Cheapo general, doesn't need much, doesn't give much, likely to survive a turn.

Drainu would eat up a lot of slots for the lich effect. I'm not 100% there, but the options are surprisingly limited.

Nemata can be pretty awesome. Just shit out as many Saprolings as possible, which isn't a hard task, then pack a few Overrun-type effects for the kill. Simple token beatdown.

I have Overrun and Ridgescale Tusker, maybe I can find some more cards like those off people. This format seems really slow so is it a good idea to have mostly medium cost cards for the value?

If you want to be competitive, sure. I've always found the game is more fun when you just play big shit heedless of the cost, personally. Be sure to run all sorts of land ramp though! In a deck like this, Rampant Growth, Nature's Lore, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach and Skyshroud Claim should be high priorities. As far as Overrun-type effects go, a few key ones I can think of besides Overrun itself include Craterhoof Behemoth, Pathbreaker Ibex, Overwhelming Stampede and even Triumph of the Hordes if you want to dabble in poison.

i'd suggest buying a premade commander deck from wizards of the coast. they're good for beginners.

then after you've playtested a bit and see what you like, ask your friends and/or browse edhrec for ideas

I have Rampant Growth and Journey of discovery although because I would only be using green mana with Nemata I don't really understand why I would use Rampant Growth over just another forest.

I'll see if I can find one of those at my local cardshop.

Looking for something like pic related for Angry Omnath. I'm thinking Constant Mist maybe?

...forgot pic.

Heresy

So what would you use in white to blink stuff like Solemn Simulacrum, Kor Cartographer, and Knight of the White Orchid?
The only card I can think of off the top of my head is Eldrazi Displacer.

Pretty newbie question but had it come up in my last game
>place +1/+1 on gyre sage
>next turn block a 1/1 infect with aforementioned creature
>my turn proliferate
>I say I tap for 2 mana from gyre
>friend argues that she taps for 0, since his neg counters cancel my positive counters

So do cards maintain different kinds of counters? Or do opposite effects override each other?

Your friend was right.
>So do cards maintain different kinds of counters?
Yes.
>Or do opposite effects override each other?
Only example of such is +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters. And yes they do cancel each other out.
Also when you were proliferating you were supposed to select each perm or player that you were putting additional counter on. Gyre Sage had no counters and wasn't a valid target for the ability.

Displacer is definitely the best one, but there's a bunch of stuff.

hey guys, can you give me some feedback for this deck? i haven't played since last year cause life bs so i don't know how well this will work

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/obzedad-curse-lock/

Displacer, Interlude, Ghostway, and others you'd care to list?

Well, there's a bunch of stuff that shows up when you search magiccards.info for something like "exile creature return to the battlefield" in the rules box.

Also, Flickerwisp.

there is that one card that says "sac a land:you draw two card" but also says "yo can't play lands"

>that guy at the card shop with a lewd anime alter commander

why do people do this?

angel of condemnation if you don't mind doing it once per turn on 1 guy

I did attend pre, had to trade/buy for Scarab promo and AKH Liliana, still have to get Neheb and Razakhet.

>he doesn't have an alter of Daxos of Meletis in a thong
What are you, gay?

I imagine to make environments less child friendly.

Or because they want to fuck a cartoon.

HOU is a dog shit set

agreed. Overwhelming Splendor and Tomb of Scarabs are the only good cards in the set.

What's wrong with white borders?

Do you have a copy of a card with both white and black borders? Hold them up side by side. The black border looks better with fantasy artwork. There's a reason why Wizards stopped printing white borders.

eh i dont really think there is a problem with white borders, they dont really look worse to me. plus the make prices cheaper

And the crucible of worlds snek

It yellows and ages terribly if not kept cryogenically/hermetically sealed.

Alright, so one of my playgroup members bought the new Archenemey set and immediately came up with a terrible idea: each of us build a commander deck to play Archenemey. And the commander is any Planeswalker instead of a legendary creature. One more rule: there's a strict budget of $100.

Which walker do I choose and what deck do i build? Because I'm at a total loss.

oh yeah, forgot about that.

>makes prices cheaper
that's because most people don't find them aesthetically pleasing. if you like them, that's cool. but Wizards found that they weren't well liked.

>$100 budget
Build Kraken kiora and proliferate. Have your entire game plan be about fogging, ramping then shutting out krakens.

Alternatively, Apex Predator Garruk would be pretty fun. Just run a bunch of removal and smash face with budget demons.

Bant Tamiyo budget stuff.

you're right, that does sound like a terrible idea. tell him to think of something better

bump? really looking for some feedback here

i bet my completely white bordered deck would make your autism go insane

>Claim / Fame
>Crested Sunmare
>Hour of Promise
>Hour of Revelation
>Mirage Mirror
>Neheb
>Bolas
>Nimble Obstructionist
>Pride Sovereign
>Ramunap Excavator
>Solemnity
>Supreme Will
>The Bugs

Admittedly, some are only "okay", but there are plenty that are good or good enough.

>100% white boarders
>triggering somebodies autism
m8 you fixed the pattern that was causing the flare up in the first place.

doesn't bother me any, i was just trying to explain why white bordered cards are cheaper than any possible black bordered counterpart

depending on the card i think some look better with white borders

I like both of these ideas. I can probably get away with UG with a small W splash. Garruk I like, too. And I don't have any deck with B in it. I guess I have my short list. Thanks.

I tried talking him out of it, but it was no use. And everyone's on board. I don't want to not play, because I love playing magic, so all i can really do is try to make a decent deck and hope for the best.

It's beautiful when you get the whole deck white bordered actually. Only combining them is annoying.

brago

Mono white

>Sit down for commander night
>opponent has this as his commander
Wat do

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-etherium-shaper-competitive-combo/

I don't get it user, is it LOD + Salvagers?

Break out your mill deck.

LED*

>Oh, I didn't realize we were allowing non Legendary commanders.

Keep mana open for instant speed artifact removal for water tower

pull out your gristlebrand deck with primeval titan x biorythm win combination..

>mono b with green cards
user?

Enjoy the unique game.

Galepowder Mage

It looks like Laboratory Maniac is the way that it wins the game. The only other way that I see is creature beatdown after using a combo to draw your deck and have total control. I'd just include Pyrite Spellbomb as a way to win if Laboratory Maniac is exiled but I don't play Breya Laboratory Maniac so this version is probably better.

looks like my leovold deck is unbanned too :)

we were talking about infinite combos though.

I run Breya/Ashnod/Nim and he mentioned my deck was too slow and showed me this.

Except for LED+Salvagers I don't see much going on.

Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Just as legal as Tamanoa as your commander, technically. And if you're gonna be a shitler, may as well go all the way with the technicalities.

fucking brian

Kys

This is the answer.

Mono black Ishan's Shade EDH, be the villain user, do it

Boardwipes, devotion, spot removal and life drain, black edh builds itself

But can any other colors be villans?

>literal autists
>literal furries
>literal /pol/
Never again

>complaining about autists
>/edhg/

Who are some fun Azorius or Boros commanders?

Aggressive Mining?

>Azorius
Daxos, Bruna, Brago, Lavinia, Ephara.
>Boros
None.

Thanks for the recommendations.
I can't say I'm too surprised about Boros still being boring, but I was hoping that had changed since I last checked.

Kalemne & Akiri+Bruse Tarl are both fun.

It's not entirely true, you can have fun with Basandra or Gisela or Brion, but Boros is just incompetent in too many ways for me to enjoy it, even with heavy artifact support.

I'll check those out too, thank you.

That's the same problem I've had in the past with Boros, I really like the design and general theme, but it's tough to maintain the theme without being real vulnerable