"Hey DM can I be a warforged?"

>"Hey DM can I be a warforged?"
>DM says no
>"Why?"
>"There's too many setting assumptions that need to be made."
>"Hey DM can I be a drow?"
>"Sure that's reasonable."

So... why is it easy to imagine any given setting has a race of spider worshipping matriarchal elves in blackface with darkness powers, hand crossbows and spiked chains who live underground but the concept of an ancient society building a living construct and finding one semi-functional then repairing it is insane and "assumes too much"?

Because said DM is a fag. You should slash his tired to prove a point.

*tires

because the setting probably has elves already and evil elves who live in caves is not a stretch, while you're asking him to invent a superadvanced ancient civilization who built magic sentient robots with artifical souls, maybe it's just not something that fits his vision of the world.

maybe you should be having this discussion with your DM and not us because it's really his call.

Why don't you ask him that instead of attention whoring on Veeky Forums?

This
And of course this
>also
Warforged are gaf

Because he's a fucking faggot who should kill himself immediately.

Because it demands more conditions to be met. There's a reason why robots weren't a thing until 20th century.

FINALLY, I have a simple answer for why I allow any mammal but not reptiles or others playable in my Ironclaw games!

Just refluff warforged into a unique/semi-unique golem created by a mad wizard, or dug out from some anncient ruins. Maybe connect him to the main plot somehow (if you're unearthing an ancient civ, it's easy) down the line.

Have all peasants think he is a dude in weird armor or a horrible abomination to be afraid of. Every craftsman or wizard worth their salt will want to capture him and see how he ticks, instant minor villains.

Warforged aren't robots, they are magic. Lots of magical golems and normally inanimate things acting alive and walking and talking in most mythologies.

And there were all kinds of weird mechanical shit back then, like that mechanical Turk that played chess (because there was midget inside the box operating it) or all kinds of clockwork inventions. Even ancient Greeks had basic gears and clockwork (antikythera mechanism).

Add a little magic and everything is possible.

First of all, not actually robots. Merely automated device like all machines.

Secondly, magic exists is a poor explanation.

Every explanation of wizard did it needs to meet the condition that wizard exists, wizard can do it, wizard would do it, wizard has the time and resource to do it.

This. Advanced mechanical robots that function as fully capable sentient beings implies, as your GM told you, a lot more needing to have happened to have them present.

He gave you a valid reason, stop trying to undermine him and shoehorn shit in to a game.

Warforged is D&D shit and by default it has intelligent undead, intelligent ghosts and intelligent elementals. And let's face it nobody gives a shit about your speshul snowflake settling.

There are wooden warforged, so they are not even robots. Just intelligent golems with a soul.

because warforged are really dicks when it comes to making the game and encounters...
Warforge don't need to eat or sleep and have immunity to a shit ton of things, elves at least have to meditate for a period of time and eat/drink.
Unless you want to play a second class citizen, as constructs are seen as slaves and everyone at table hating you for being that guy who wants a bunch of pros with little to no cons ie power gamer.. don't.

A friend I had got to play it and immediately rushed alert and encounters were so boring when you were told what was coming ahead of time...

>Just intelligent golems with a soul.

Imbuing a soul and sentience in to a vessel is frequently considered one of the hardest and most powerful acts of magic/technology in fantasy. By including such a thing, and making them wide spread as a race, implies that there is or was something horrifically powerful that was able to do it reliably and with relative ease and on a nation wide scale.

That can, and will, disrupt a setting. Especially one a GM is homebrewing himself.

it should just be
>"Hey DM can I be a warforged"
>DM says no
>"Ok"

If you want to play a warforged, play a different game. If you dont, you're in luck.

This

Also, my setting has golems that could be considered a warforged analog, but no Drow.
If you want to be an evil, dark skinned, spider-goddess worshiping elf, you can be.
But there's not a whole S&M race of you.

If your players approach you with plans to make a warforged character, with the possibility to upgrade to sentient Internet as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh living beings
>B-b-b-but muh medieval fantasy
>B-b-b-but mommy, intelligent machines make me scared

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, drow-loving fantasy, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle warforged in fantasy settings, you shouldn't be a DM.

No matter how much you rant and rave on the internet, it won't make your father proud of you user, he detests the person you have become. That's why he left, you drove him out with your refusal to mature and grow.

Incidentally, the ability to grow and learn and mature is a key trope in Warforged characters. I suspect the only thing you and Warforged have in common is I won't allow either in my games.

>the ability to grow and learn and mature is a key trope in Warforged characters. I suspect the only thing you and Warforged have in common is I won't allow either in my games.

Because Drow are already well established within the Forgotten Realms, there's even an entire module (Out of the Abyss) where they are central antagonists so it's not hard to place them in the world.

Whereas Warforged are specific to Eberron and would therefore need their own fluff to fit in the world. While possible this is a lot of work for the GM.

Players don't seem to understand that when they do things like this they're putting a huge weight on the GM. He either has to warp the world to fit your character , working out their fluff, history, who made them , how people react to them, include other warforged in the game and work out their goals etc. Or entirely ignore that and pretend they're just weird looking humans I guess which wrecks verisimilitude within the setting , of which most players would probably be pretty pissed about.

Likewise their rules that ignore all food,water and disease destroy a wilderness survival game for a GM.

>Likewise their rules that ignore all food,water and disease destroy a wilderness survival game for a GM.

>Players: We want a zombie survival game like Rust and stuff
>GM: Okay, it will feature all manner of survival, you guys okay with that? Food, water, ammo?
>Players: Yes, that sounds awesome
>GM: Okay, I'll run it. Make sure to include all manner of equipment, it will be fairly nomadic and not remain too long in one place.
>Players: Yeah, yeah.
>GM: Things will be tracked, Food, water, medicine, gas, bullets
>Players: Awesome
>Players then roll characters without any thought to food, water, medicine, gas or ammo

Lol, yeah..

I literally had a player in a Dark Sun campaign I ran trying to let him be a Warforged so he could avoid all the hunger, thirst and heat penalties etc in the setting.

I hate them, I kick them players out. There are far worse things you can do in decision making than trusting your gut. If somebody joins a themed game and then rolls completely contradictory to that theme, I kick them without a chance to rethink or come up with a better idea.

It speaks of staggering selfishness and apathy to the GM and fellow players.

I did tell him no in the end but I didn't kick him.

Sadly in this era of player entitlement I bet there'd be plenty who'd say I was the dick for not letting him have the agency of choosing his race.

He's not wrong. Warforged, despite being radical as hell, require a pretty specific type of setting to really fit in. It's why you don't see them running around the Forgotten Realms, they don't mesh well with the other traditional high fantasy tropes.

If you don't like it, find a new game or start your own. There's no way to negotiate with a DM who isn't already putting himself out there as the negotiable kind.

I could bring up the Drow's legacy from the generified settings of early d&d vs. Warforged emerging from the fairly modern Eberron, but you don't want us to second guess his logic.

You wanna be a Warforged.

And that's
>perfectly OK

But also the DM exnaying a race is
>perfectly OK

Such is the nature of plyer & DM relations. You bend or he bends, neither can be broken, one just eventually leaves :(

The real reason is because he thinks warforged are stupid, which they rightly are.

Drow are just evil elves.

>Incidentally, the ability to grow and learn and mature is a key trope in Warforged characters. I suspect the only thing you and Warforged have in common is I won't allow either in my games.
Damn...

Isn't metal pretty scarce in Dark Sun? And warforged are made out of metal and some fibrous, woody material, another thing that's not all that common?

Presuming that one could be made in the first place, which is a bit of a stretch, wouldn't a warforged character be worth a fortune? Every other NPC would be trying to dismember or enslave the character. That's probably worse than the hunger/thirst penalties. Of course, it's also game-breaking, and the sheer implausibility of it is grounds for rejection on its own.

Are you black, by any chance?

Oof

An oddly long reply to a copypasta.

Robots are too scifi and ruin the feel of a tolkienesque game.

Drow are shit too btw.

And drow don't?

Warforged are gay and the DM agrees is why.

This is the truth.

Agreed. Warforged are fun as hell, but don't fit in every setting. Pick something else, fuckstick.