Transistor

Would this game make a good setting for a tabletop rpg?
Would you play/gm it?
What system would you run it in?

A sort of synopsis would be helpful for those unfamiliar. From the picture alone I think it's some kind of art deco cyberpunk game.

Fate with heavy alterations, the way abilities slot together reminds me of traits. The way the things steal stuff makes me think they're stealing traits

It's difficult. The best I think you could do is taking a lot of inspiration from it, but doing your own thing with the concepts.

Transistor isn't an adventure happy setting, unless you're doing some very heavy political/social thing in Cloudbank. The actual events of the game are a very singular, unique event focused around a small, specific group of people. They don't naturally lead into a collaborative RPG experience.

The main character, Red, is a citizen of Cloudbank, a futuristic city where you can change everything from the layout of a building to the color of the sky with the power of data
The Process, physical data constructs that are typically tasked with altering an maintaining the city, have gone haywire, turning the once beautiful city into featureless, unformatted blocks, and it's citizens into raw data
Best i can explain it

better question would be about bastion, which has a much more fleshed out setting. Pyre's lookin good by the by, can't wait.

So like an art deco open source Tron?

I was thinking either a political intrigue/organized crime campaign set before the game or something happening in another part of the city during the game
The important thing is, would functions be exclusive to the transistor, or would the players also have them?

I'd love to play a bastion setting too, i pretty much just picked one of the two and thought about maybe making a thread for the other next time
More or less, i guess, minus the laser frisbees

That's pretty much exactly what it is. The setting is a functionally post-scarcity ultrademocratic utopia where everything from the city decor to the weather to the carryout place's menu are determined by a direct vote and people live largely for their hobbies and media entertainment. The main villain is a career administrator who's been in charge so long he's taken every stance on every issue at the whims of the populous and became disillusioned with the vapid impermanence of things.

I made the start of a Bastion RPG once back in high school, which was a loose combination of d20 stats and heroscape dice. Classes were based on the game's weapon types (i.e. Brusher, Mancer, Mason, etc) and players pledged themselves to a god's totem for combinations of buffs and debuffs. Didn't get much farther than that, but it might be worth trying to recreate.

Pretty sure that bastion had a RPG thread going on for awhile here. Not sure what came of it.

>homebrew
Oh hell yes, these are my favorite kind of threads

The Avatar of Pyth theory was my favourite bit about those threads.

Which theory was that?

Also I'll start trying to remember what my system had set up and post it here. I know that each of the god's totems had some kind of physical manifestations on the characters to show they were there, like Lemaign having hard, rough, bricklike skin.

The Kid was a builder on the walls and a destroyer. Order and Commotion. He went everywhere with a bullhead shield and brought ruin to the Ura personally wielding a siege weapon that takes entire teams to use probably that happens to be shaped like a bull.

He was the pivot that decides if the world should be locked in a loop of repeating the same mistakes or breaking off for a new world.

Did you get to pick 2 weapons, or just 1?
Also, were there any rules for spirits?

At the time I had based the classes around a single weapon type as their primary, and then with the option for a second weapon as a sidearm/supplementary weapon.

Spirits were what I was just getting into when I was making it, but I had an extra class I was making called Brewmaster, who functioned as the buffer/debuffer/healer of the group, and who's primary function out of combat was to distill Spirits to act as session-long buffs.

>Bastion
>High School
Christ I'm old.

Alright, so as I remember, I THINK these were the abilities from the homebrew.
>STR
Strength, for all your beefin needs.
>SKL
Skill, for those pesky guns, bows, and machete.
>GTS
Guts, so you can drink yer spirits and shake off your wounds.
>MND
Mind, for using Mancer shit without exploding and other such things.
>CHA
Gotta talk down Zulf somehow.

The classes were one for each weapon, using the titles from the game, many of whom I've forgotten, with abilities based on Ruck's descriptions of them.

I'll see if I can find some of the old notes sometime tonight, put something together.

I like the way you think
Also, is it just me, or did some of those drinks sound like they'd taste pretty good?

I want me some Leechade. I want it bad. Apparently that shit tastes like lemon,

I wanna try the lifewine and bastion burbon, maybe the cinderbrick stout too

Do you upgrade weapons as you level up, assuming levels are a thing in this system, or is there some other method?

At the time, I hadn't even gotten that far. I had just finished basic classes and stats, and was working on the boons/banes of the gods before I ended up dropping it. That said, upgrading is a damn good idea and could work well with certain classes outside of combat.

Hopefully we can help fill in whatever blanks there are
Luckily, you can probably find all the class names on the wiki pages for the challenge areas

Since we seem to be talking more about bastion at this point, assuming we're using the various titles as classes, what class would you go with?

Oh wow, off by 3

Shadowrun w/o magic and other races.

Cyberpunk 2020 could work too.

Have a bit of lore talking about how there is some kind of giant supercomputer where people can vote on the weather and shit.

Completely ignore Transistor's garbage plot.

Keep The Process.

Cloudbank as a setting and Transistor's tone beg for rules lite.

Functions are and should be exclusive to the Transistor.

Cloudbank's Selections are veeery close to Fate's Traits, so I'd use that.

The best campaign concept I can imagine is the players creating a Camerata-like conspiracy of their own, either with the same goal and the Camerata not existing, or for some unrelated purpose.

It's important to remember that Cloudbank has sufficiently advanced technology, but it's only really noticeable in the more advanced expressions of one's Selection, like the weather designer actually able to realize their creations and architects being able to build houses in days without help.

I feel like The Veil would fit, though I've not got much experience with it. It's a cyberpunky game that places a lot of focus on the emotions behind your actions (to the point where how you feel when you do something affects how many dice you get) and the default setting is completely permeated by Augmented Reality, which could likely be adopted to easily suit Cloudbank. It's based on the Powered By The Apocalypse system, if that makes any difference.

It's a real testament to this game's art design that you can nail exactly what it is from a single image.

Well that's a shame, they were the best part

More like Art Deco System Shock, really.

Oh you mean Bio Shock? But even then not really. Bioshock was barely an RPG. Prey was a bit closer.

Is homebrew user ded?

Bastion was better than Transistor

Pyre looks dope as fuck

Bastion is a hard game to top though, user.

As a whole, yes, but you have to admit the function combo system was ingenious

They're both good. I would agree Bastion was a bit better, it was less refined but had a bit more, I dunno what you would call it... heart? That said, despite being pretty similar to each other on the surface, they really were pretty different. Transistor was way more vague and much bleaker.

Really excited for Pyre though.

Assuming you did play a game set in transistor or bastion, what kind of character would you play

System shock =/= bioshock

>Bastion was better than Transistor
They seem to understand that, but the world design on Transistor was far, far superior to Bastion. With any luck, they can nail both aspects of the game's design in Pyre.

For bastion, a slinger, no question
For transistor, no idea

>Would this game make a good setting for a tabletop rpg?
No.

>Would you play/gm it?
God no.

>What system would you run it in?
I wouldn't.

And I say this as somebody who owns, beaten, and enjoyed the game.

Dude, you alive?

At work on an overnight shift, haven't had the time to put something together. I'll try and get something working tomorrow if I can.

Alright, best of luck to you

Transistor's combat was a lot more in-depth and crunchier than Bastion, but I think Bastion had better level design. They both had fantastic atmosphere going for them, but I personally liked Transistor's bleak sadness over Bastion's rustic charm.

Transistor should have been a bit longer, so you could play around more with the combat.

New game plus, dude

Bump

I don't know if the game could work without some sort of function system, the functions were half the fun of the game, taking that away would remove one of the best parts of the game

One last bump, if this dies i'll just make a bastion thread