Multi-Classing

How do you usually handle Multi-classing in your campaign?

HAve you played any interesting Multiclassing characters before, and if so how did it go?

What's your idea for a good Multiclass?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4g9nvw/my_pcs_have_never_multiclassed_until_last_night/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/4g9nvw/my_pcs_have_never_multiclassed_until_last_night/

Okay maybe not but make them provide in-world justification.

"Good build" is too generic of a question; give us a concept. Having said that, dipping 1/3 (NOT 2) levels into Bard/Fighter never hurt anybody.

I only play MCs at this point. It was moire fun hybriding in 4e though.

WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY 2E HAS BEST MULTICLASS SYSTEM

ALL OTHER MULTICLASS SYSTEMS ARE COMPLETE GARBAGE

WHY BOTHER HAVING MULTICLASSING IN OTHER RPGS WHEN GODLIKE WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY 2E HAS MULTICLASSING?

WARLOCK AND PALADIN BRUV

Whats wrong with a 2 level fighter dip?

Because then you'd have to play WFRP 2e.

>How do you usually handle Multi-classing in your campaign?
I don't run games where that is a thing anymore.

>HAve you played any interesting Multiclassing characters before, and if so how did it go?
I haven't played any single-classed (where relevant) characters before, because they would have been either boring or useless.

>What's your idea for a good Multiclass?
Anything that produces interesting interactions.

I think of it like this:

Classes are supposed to represent a particular character archetype common in a fantasy story. As such, multiclass needs no justification if the multiclass is in service to an esoteric or obscure character concept that the existing classes don't really act in service too.

For instance, say I want to play a sort of classic Elf character, who is a master archer and capable melee fighter but also a talented magician in the elven arts or whatever. In this case, a Fighter/Wizard multiclass might be appropriate.

I discourage multi-classing in my 5e game.

Most multi-classing discussion I see involves manipulating the game mechanics in ways I don't really feel comfortable with, with discussion of dips and such for key choices, and there's usually an archetype that will handle hybrid choices anyway, like arcane trickster.

They're not banned though, if someone has a interesting idea, I guess. Hasn't come up yet.

Allowed without any conditions beyond RAW, but I do remind them it's it's their responsibility to make a character that they'll enjoy playing week to week and that they'll be sacrificing a substantial amount of progression compared to the single-class players.

Despite some people deriding it, I actually really love the way 4e did multiclassing, as opposed to the more traditional level by level multiclassing.

Multiclass feats were interesting, thematic options that expanded your characters capabilities without diluting their core concept, and that they functioned as prerequisites also let them key into some interesting mechanics without it being as janky as 3.PF class level blenders.

Themes, Paragon Paths and Epic Destinies, while not exactly multiclassing, felt like the other side of that coin for me, offering other ways of expanding your concept or mechanically representing elements outside your class archetype without it getting in the way of those core themes.

Arcane trickster is garbage tho. A great deal of the hybrid choices are.

I miss PPs and EDs so much. They made it feel like you were actually reaching milestones in your career, really becoming some legendary hero and not just a high level fighter or what have you. 5e progression is just so flavorless by comparison

In Legend, a poorly named game that I guess you could call a 3e retroclone, each class has its abilities separated into three tracks. For example, if you play a paladin, you get access to a track that improves your resistances, a track that lets you help allies, and a track for smiting shit. You can, basically for free, swap one of your class tracks with a track from any other class. So you could swap buffing allies with one of the Shaman's spellcasting tracks, and and be slightly more clerical, or you could swap your smiting track for the rogue's offensive track, and be more like an Avenger.

Arcane Trickster isn't actually garbage, it's simply inferior to the other rogue subclasses. Eldritch Knight is total tish though.

Legend remains a tragedy. A great game with some fascinating ideas that will never be properly finished or supported.

I think it's more accurate to call it some great ideas that never got a game.

Why? The game is fully playable. You just need to put a bit more work into adventure creation for lack of a Monster Manual.

my group generally doesn't multiclass, but we've done it before.
i've only done a druid/barbarian multiclass. lots of fun.

They're only bad if you suck

At what?

Picking systems.