Playing MTG at a LGS

Hi there,

I went to my first prerelease this weekend. How do you deal with the general atmosphere and temperament of MTG players? They tend to be ugly, fat, dressed poorly and dirty. And interaction with them was kind of uncomfortable. One game was good, but my first the player smelled really bad and played very very slowly (he might have been on something, so maybe that's a one off) but my next one the guy was awful. He cheated, was just generally rude and I just didn't enjoy playing.

I have a touch of the social anxiety so I understand to a certain degree that's on me, but does anyone have any advice on playing MTG with strangers and being in a hobby where the players kinda suck?

Make a sign that says now opponents over 350 lbs . Even if you honestly have to play them it will set a good tone for your games.
Be more aggressive with shame that you lay on the unwashed, they deserve it

Sure. Keep interaction polite yet distant and business-like. You can soften this if you like your opponent. You're not the only one that's discovered they detest the people sitting across from them. You're not here to make friends. You're here to destroy your enemies.

Fat people, casual players, women, and commander players tend to be human scum. I would recommend getting into modern or legacy, but the barrier to entry on both is much higher than what someone should reasonably expect. Avoid commander like the plague and try researching the Facebook pages of local game stores.

First, check that attitude at the door.

Second, be the kind of player you want others to associate with your hobby of choice, be that Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, Warhams, historical wargames, D&D, whatever.

try researching the Facebook pages of local game stores is the only important action one needs to take. Some of the most obnoxious people play modern where I go, so modern isn't some classy "adults only" format like how you make it out to be.

It's probably just my sample size, but modern players are miles ahead of standard in hygeine for my surrounding area.

he's there for a pre-release, not a fucking PTQ

Find the OTHER flgs. There's always two.

Or check out the Commander situation. Commander is either cool dudes or complete spergs.

Doesn't matter.

Sounds like you play at a meme instead of an lgs, I feel bad that all the players at my lgs are normal humans except for one guy who has tourettes but hes still ptetty cool, even the kids who play there are not spergs

The other lgs in the city is pretty much just asians and I dont think they even play magic

OP pic just makes me think of Unicron

You seem very judgmental for someone playing magic the gathering.
I mean friend you are playing a game made for kids, social outcast and autists, going to their place of gathering where they play magic.
And now you come to a board for Chinese cartoons full of autists retards and social outcasts to complain about being surrounded by autists retards and social outcast.

I know that feel OP, I was considering MTG until I went to my LGS to play a wargame with a friend, I was instantly assault with the smell of unwashed ass, body odor, cheese and mountain dew as I walked in the door. I don't play in that store on days when the MTG crowd is in for an event, the store owner is a 400kg fat cunt who smells like piss and cheese so he's really not setting an example for his players. No other lgs is nearby for me so I just put my magic cards in my closet until I move somewhere with a better place to play in a few years.

Good luck OP, usually there's a better place to play without human filth, hopefully you can meet some decent players and start your own game group so you don't have to play with peasants.

This used to be the case for us, until one of them went out of business after a Games Workshop opened up next door.

Either way, this is a game for spergs and autists. FNMs tend to attract the absolute worst crowd where I live. The rest of the time they just play 16 man commander games in my flgs. So I just play casual with my friends now. At least they shower.

What the hell kind of argument is that? What if you want to play magic because you like playing magic? You have every right to be judgmental when other players don't bathe, shave, or change clothes more than once per month. There are plenty of people who play who are not 500 pound plaguebearers.

I know I'm going to get flak for this but showering is actually bad for your skin.

whats wrong with commander players? it's usually seems to be the older, bad players, who get stomped in a sealed or draft and then start talking about muh EDH

they dont seem that bad tho

fuck off retard, showering multiple times a day for many days isn't good but we're talking about fat smelly autists you dumbass

a grown man needs to shower 1/3 day at most or body odor starts. its just a fact my dude

Every local community is different. Its far better for you to learn MtG with people you already know than it is to try to make friends there and play the personality lottery.

I'd suggest getting into a competitive higher-end format because the player base will skew older and you'll be dealing with more professionals stopping in after work to cast Death Shadows or Force of Wills.

Cold water rubbed into the armpits and genital area twice a day does the trick just fine. Soap/shampoo/conditioner/facial wash/lotion etc is just a corporate scam to make you spend money on things you don't need to survive.

Oh, hey Barry. If you ever touch my trade binder again with your disgusting oily, greasy hands, I will murder you.

I'm not Barry, whoever he is.
Also, a little body odor is natural for virile men. Body stench is the real issue here.

>he doesn't even use baking soda
Holy shit, dude. Get a grip.

Except your hair will get greasy and oily and disgusting and will smell like ass if all you do is rinse it with water to keep it clean. Like it or not, we live in a society where body odor is considered disgusting. So you either get in line and don't smell like my cat's litterbox, or you get called a smelly, contrarian grognard. There is no middle ground. Buy some green soap, it's not a pile of chemicals and estrogen.

It's not about survival it's about not smelling like shit

>weighs 600 pounds
>worries about his body's wellbeing
laughingelfgirls.tiff

I play magic, modern and edh
I shower twice a day
Wash my hair
Use bodysoap
Use deodorant
Use hugo boss perfume

Also have
A wife (non gamer)
Decent job
Car
House
Cat

Some if these things are the products/results of others

Its not fucking hard

I shave my head and trim everything else so no problem there.
I don't smell like shit, dude. Just yesterday a girl at the LGS told me I smelled manly. I guess civilization is that far gone that manliness is no longer the norm.
Baking soda is for baking. I'm not a pastry.

Found the Frenchman.

>a girl at the LGS

Just stop. This has been going on long enough.

>Just yesterday a girl at the LGS told me I smelled manly.
>a girl at the LGS

The only girls at lgs's are the ones tagging along with their bf, it doesnt count if you bought her with you, shes forced to say shit

Overly feminine teenage boys with autism are not girls

Why do people make all these silly excuses of why showering "isn't necessary" when showering feels nice and being clean also feels nice?

The shop was about to close down when they decided to make it normie-friendly & rent out board games by the hour.
Because you can be clean without taking a shower.

>a girl at the LGS told me I smelled manly.
>a girl at the LGS
>a girl told me I smelled manly
>a girl told me I smelled
>a girl positively commented on how I smelled when I didn't take a shower

I love getting in the shower and setting the head to jet then shooting it in my ass, it feels like a warm wet penis then I turn up the heat gradually

You advocate rinsing your junk and pits with cold water as an alternative. Your feet smell like ancient cheeses because you never wash them.

You are every bit the stereotype up till now. So tell me, how much do you weigh, and do you always wear shorts or cargo pants?

Fuck off, nigger.

Ask her to eat out your ass next time im sure she will oblige, its not like it will be a tangled mess of hair and greasy shit stains down there

TAKE A FUCKING SHOWER

>playing games to win
Shiggilydiggilydoo.

You can be 'clean' without taking a shower, but that's not what anyone here is arguing. Scrubbing your pits and dick before going outside or to the grocery store is probably fine, your natural smell is going to be diffused in the air or overpowered by something else. Only scrubbing your pits and dick before being cramped in a game store with little ventilation is like putting your unwashed ass in a slow-cooker. If you can't understand how people might be put off by that, you are autistic or homeschooled or both.

mtg has always come down to who can cheat the most without getting caught or penalized

Try playing with friends instead of literal subhuman scum. The problem with playing in a LGS or something similar is that the grognards have no incentive to be fair or nice, they're there to win a children's card game. When you cheat in a game with friends, you're kicked from the group for being a cunt.

>There are plenty of people who play who are not 500 pound plaguebearers.
Well than why don't you go play with those people...that is if they want to play with your 500 lbs plaguebearing casual playing ass

Ive found "accidentally" spilling your coke on their legacy deck helps, that little sign at the front of the store that says they are responsible for their own stuff covers you and they generally dont come back

Kek. As if you'd ever do this IRL and not get the shit kicked out of you.

They never fight back, they usually cry and or throw a tantrum before being asked to leave then they and go home and think about what they would have done if they didnt have a crippling mental illness

>How do you deal with the general atmosphere and temperament of MTG players? They tend to be ugly, fat, dressed poorly and dirty. And interaction with them was kind of uncomfortable.
Don't play in Murica.

I went to prerelease at midnight, was actually two girls at my store, they weren't even bad looking.
There was this one guy though...
>> everyone opens their boxes, he exclaims loudly that all he got was junk.
>> ticks the box that surrenders him from all his matches so he doesn't play any games
>> sits at the back eating all his friends food
>> comes over while I'm playing his friend
>> "hey let me borrow your gameboy, what's on it?"
>> doesn't like the games his friend has
>> goes back to eating all their food
He was overweight, doing his best G.R.R.M impression, and looked about 35.
We had literal artists and some 17 year old first timer that were better behaved than him.

Oh and his "useless" cards? Guy pulled two hour of devastations, the Mirror and Claim to Fame....

showerphobia user, i fully support your right to not shower every day
just dont stand near me

Eh Hour of Dev is fine. But if you don't have the right cards to build around it, it doesn't really hope.

I had a couple bad pools at my events, so I just played 2-drop.dec and went under a lot of players.

You accept that magic players are literally cancer and stop playing the game?

>Going to a flgs in a new town after work to play magic
>In my work suit
>Slobs somehow all look disheveled even coming from work
>Usual mix of power gamers and wannabe pros
>Whatever just playing limited to chill after work and get away from the trouble and strife.
>One guy seems cool , we talk about old tournaments , joke, get on well, he beats me but whatever just playing for fun
>Keep practicing and getting better, used to be okay but haven't played in a long time
>Few weeks into going beat him at a match, outplay him in my opinion.
>He sperges out hardcore, loudly complains how much of a lucksack I am
>Realise he was only friendly because he thought I was an easy win.
>Never go back.
>Magic players are cancer

This!

Holy fuck that guy sounds like a turbonigger

>bait op
>gets 50 replies
good job

They were probably trying to avoid being impolite. I got 'musky' once, before more regularly acquainting myself with the wonders of deodorant.

Musky doesn't sound that bad. It was probably some feminist feeling oppressed by your manscenting.

I don't understand how anyone can go even a day without showering. I start to feel grossed out by myself if I do it.

Well this was mostly about that one guy not showering, but thanks for everyone's advice. It seems like something I'll just have to get used to but I will also check out other game stores to see if they're better. I also really like limited but am trying to also move in to modern which a couple people suggested and that seems like it could be fun.

This op There's always two stores. The first lgs I went to for fnm was terrible, bad employees, bad service, shitty people and just generally unwelcoming. It turned me off magic for over a year, then I found the store I currently go to that happens to be right down the street. Sure you still have your smellys or tryhards, but a majority were casual to semi casual players who enjoyed other hobbies or were just generally more relaxed and welcoming. I found that the employees really set the tone for the atmosphere of the whole store.

Tldr find another lgs

Okay, I know you're probably concerned about soap drying out your skin or something like that, so I'm just going to have to spell it out for you since your parents did such a lousy job of raising you:

Warm water alone will NEVER hurt your skin and you only have to soap certain key areas of the body to make sure you don't smell like shit.

If you ever have to work hard outdoors then yes, you are covered in sweat and body oils so you do need to soap yourself down everywhere sometime before you go out in public again. The soap won't be as harmful to your skin since it's removing dirt and grime.

Otherwise, if you work indoors in an air conditioned environment then you can get away with soap/shampoo in your hair, armpits, and underwear area (and feet if you frequently go barefoot). And you just rinse everywhere else with warm water. Brushing your teeth while you're in the bathroom cleaning yourself is mandatory so your breath doesn't stink. If you ever expect to go outside and it's hot out, put deodorant on your pits.

I can't believe I have to spell this out for grown adults. Hell, even if you're actually a kid you ought to know this shit by your freshman year of high school.