EDH/Commander General

Previously RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What commander just makes you groan when you see someone playing it.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sram-artifactauraos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oloro. It's always tryhard cEDH bullshit filled to the brim with pillowfort and a boring wincon.

>What commander just makes you groan when you see someone playing it.

most wotc-made commanders

>Thread Question
Probably Horobi.

Hokori. Stax is a viable strategy when you have some way to win through it. When you show up with Hokori it's like you're saying you'd rather not play.

Leovold
I play exclusively on MTGO multiplayer and seeing Leo just signals that they're a salty 1v1 fagtron who just dropped out of league and are here to pound some 5tix rat decks to feel better asbout themselves.

All commanders are made my WoTC though.
Know what you mean but not a good way to put it

Reposting
Not trying to sound rude but
>implying I don't know this
I'm already gonna run MLD and I am willing to accept a loss to contamination/blood moon/b2basics and so.
My meta doesn't run non basic land hate anyway, and most people have shitty mana bases with lots of basics. I'll be running contamination anyway, and ill put in a crop rotation to get a forest should I not fetch one out early.
Red has soon good things worth shitting the mana base the fuck up for. I won't get punished by most people who go to my lgs anyway

What's wrong with Horb?

The few builds I played agains were incredibly annoying.

The wincon is for you to scoop since establishing a wincon in stax takes a long time. You sound like you don't play much, friend :^)
Just do them and yourself a favor by scooping, a wincon is somewhere
t. Daretti player

in my play group that would be sliver queen, fuck you chris and your faggot deck. at the card shop its probably narset or oloro

this

Brago and Derevi, even GAAIV when built all stacky.

The first two are just disgustingly easy to break wide open and no one but their pilot is having any fun at a table of 4+.

>OP Question
Nothing, I'm not a shitter.
Although anything banned or otherwise not a real commander is mildly annoying.

Would you rather your LGS be infested by stax, or t2 combo decks?

Or do you live in the grim dark future where you're constantly playing against both?

>spend 20 minutes recruiting players/shuffling/mulliganing
>play any two artifacts with Mark Tedin artwork on them
>other players scoop
Great fun, I'm glad I pimped my deck out.

>playing edh at an LGS
>ever

id rather be kicked in the balls

if your group wasnt retarded, you'd have housebanned those cards

of course if you're the kind of person who buys a mana crypt and a mana vault for EDH, then you probably don't want to have them housebanned

>local food chain prossh player can never get other people to play against him
>spends 20 minutes autistically begging us to play against him
>"I won't combo, guys, I promise"
>"I won't tutor for Food Chain lol c'mon lets play"
>game starts
>he sets up turn 2 Prossh
>go play a fun game instead

its probably not the artwork that makes other people not want to play with you user

>grim dark
No my friend, this is the light at the end of the tunnel.
Games run smoothly and are fast and fun. They require thought from each player as each decision matters. No babbies whining about "no fun" as they themselves take 30 minutes to get to a storm counter of 3.
Most importantly it helps you become a better player, making your mind turn faster as you work out optimal plays, which then helps you play real formats.

I didn't even fucking ask. I could be playing literally anything else in that 20 minutes. It's not as if no one else plays busted shit.

>T+N for Mike and Trike
>"that's stupid, no infinite combos, it's against the spirit of the format"
>T+N for Kiki+Worldspine Wurm
>"that's way too strong, we're banning Tooth and Nail"
Please kill me.

>>T+N for Mike and Trike

the fact that you did this means that you don't really belong in this format

Preach.

I am glad my friends and I have our own places to meet up at so we can drink and talk about whatever we want without consequence.

My local LGS is like a crazy stereotype of the worst LGSs

>play main deck Evincar
>collect Prossh tears

It's fun to find a combo mid-game that you weren't aware of while building.

But T&N is too strong, user!

Do you think a SINGLE card that pulls any 2-card combo out of your deck (or 400 trample damage) is fair? There's no way anyone is retarded enough to think that

I'm just playing devil's advocate. but you definitely will start an arms race in your group unless you play down to their level

>be bad
>get mad at others for being not bad
>huur its the spirit of the format because i say it is

kys

Stax or "Grim Dark Future".

You can fight stax decks (though it's VERY difficult if we're talking good stax, which I assume we are), and if there's more than one at the table they can get in each others' ways with their forced sac shenanigains.

In the grim darkness, the Stax decks will sometimes kneecap the t2 combo decks before getting hated out, potentially allowing a reasonable game to evolve when the dust settles.

Pure t2 combo meta sounds like it'd be a contest of mastrubation; whoever gets off first wins. Anyone not competing in that manner might as well not be there. Heck, if I were stuck in the nighmare of a hardcore combo meta, I'd likely turn it into a grim darkness meta by pimping a Stax build into competitive levels.

Really excited to make a Reaper King deck for Halloween as its coming up

Don't you just love EMINENCE?

Really though if anything in EDH deserves the hammer it's probably T&N (and Hulk, which Sheldon just unleashed for some moronic reason). It's just about the least work for "my infinite happens right now" that you can find.

>y r u try win???
Please end your life.

but if you're playing tooth and nail into mike and trike, YOU are the one who is bad. that kind of play only works against casual slow decks that run no interaction. if you were playing against actually good decks piloted by good players, you'd have your lands/hand/life blown up to 0 before you reached 5 mana.

if you're casting a 9 mana "i win the game" card at a casual EDH table and it resolves, then you're just most likely demolishing people who were looking to goof around with flavorful cards.

meanwhile, you put an inefficient, boring "i win" card into your deck and t hen used it to tutor an inefficient, boring "i win" combo, and then acted like you outplayed everyone when they groaned

so once again, read this comic and try to understand why you're being made fun of

soooooo you are complaining because he didnt try and win in the most OP way possible? you are very logically inconsistent on this issue user. it sounds like you are just ass blasted

but he didn't try to win in the most OP way possible. tooth and nail is a braindead easy and boring way to end a game and "win". once again, it's a 9 mana spell so if you're actually resolving it and winning with it, then it probably doesn't fit into the meta

if he wanted to be OP, he would've played something actually legit competitively viable, like food chain combo or storm.

i've played cards like tooth and nail and rise of the dark realms in my decks in my casual meta, but i've ended up cutting them and replacing them with actually interesting cards. there is simply nothing interesting about ending a game with a 9 mana win-game spell that resolves the same way just about every time, and if you can't recognize that fact then i'm afraid you're infected by spike aids

>getting annoyed by "banned" cards or "unofficial" commanders

You sure you aren't a shitter?

Reaper
KING

>but he didn't try to win in the most OP way possible.
ya thats what im saying, it just sounds like you are mad cause he used t+n. like you literally just looked at the card and got mad

>thread question
Anything with counterspells

Damn that is some spicy tech bro I've gotta hop on that

>there is simply nothing interesting about ending a game with a 9 mana win-game spell
Johnny cancer. Not everything has to meet your sense of aesthetic.

>implying vault is even expensive
>being poor and playing mtg
ya played yaself

so basically your argument is

>u mad

thank you for your contribution to the thread

it's a format for johnnies and timmies you mongoloid. i recommend trying a different format if you're solely focused on being the winner in the easiest way possible. no wait, you're probably a lazy, poorfag who sucks at mtg so the only way you can win is by inf comboing against craw wurm decks in the joke format

>mad johnnys: the format

no my argument is that you looked at t+n and got mad because of a combo that it could have done which the person who played it choose not to do and that is fucking retarded

you are an idiot

that's what he was going to tutor for originally. if he runs tooth and nail with mike and trike then he's the worst kind of edh deckbuilder (lazy and uninteresting)

IT'S REAPING TIME

There's also Seed the Land if you wanna remain monogreen. It's symmetric but as you know, with deckbuilding you can turn it to your advantage. Also I wouldn't play Amulet of Vigor in my deck unless it had synergy with my commander such as Karametra in my case and I've seen it pull some weight in Geth.

so basically your argument is

>stop liking what i dont like

thank you for your contribution to the thread

>Queen
>Not Overlord
Chris sounds like a real shitter

Matt? chris is an alright dude who just spend more than the playgroup, fix your tazri deck to actual deal with slivers.

This is looking to be the final revision of my Sram Storm deck.

Any final cards to add in?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sram-artifactauraos/

Someone please post the edit with the empty Legacy table so that we can update our images.

sorry i ment overlord, the one that tutors but ya chris is a huge fag chris is actually an alright guy i just hate slivers

not matt.... or am i?

if you're playing multiplayer EDH then yeah, you do need to concern yourself with what other players like and what they don't like. if 3 other players are telling you that playing tooth and nail makes you a dipshit, then you should realize that you're in the wrong there, and not them.

if you don't care about other people's enjoyment in EDH, then i'm saddened to inform you that you're a That Guy and you're playing the wrong format

>people should only play one format
>implying it's not literally THE most diverse format, in terms of depth, competitiveness, and viable silliness
>implying Legacy is even close to dead
>implying people play Vintage at all

>if you're playing multiplayer EDH then yeah, you do need to concern yourself with what other players like and what they don't like.
except you dont, especially since they were playing at a card shop. you are literally mad because someone played a card you dont like, i cant even imagine how you even find people to play with being that much of a fag

Legacy is a pretty good format although I think banning Top was bullshit. My favorites are Vintage, Legacy, and EDH and Legacy is the only one I can't find people to play in. It all depends on your region and in mine Legacy is dead.

maybe if he wasn't a dipshit wanna-be spike then he would have friends to play with and he wouldn't need to play at a smelly LGS

>i just hate slivers
Just play hate cards, then.

*counters your spell*
*draws and discards*

legacy would be great if wizards would make it affordable. i love that format but i literally cant find people who can afford to play it or have been playing for 2 decades and just have the cards. there is me and 2 other people at the LGS i go to and im tired of playing against them. i wish wizards would at least reprint dual lands or something so people would at least consider buying into legacy

>I think banning Top was bullshit
Literally the best ban decision in the past 5 years.

Pet card you can't seem to find a home for.

>stop liking what i dont like

shouldnt you be in school?

at this point it seems way more likely that they'll ban the duals than reprint

wotc loves to bow down to the investors who haven't bought a pack in 6 years

1. Play proxies
2. Play an affordable deck
3. Preserve your sanity and stop talking about the Reserved List
4. If all else fails, play a different format

that first card is awesome, totally going to put that into a few decks

>have enough money to buy Reserved List cards
>don't play any other format
Seems legit.

Poor babbies couldn't handle a control deck. Banning Top is when scrubs took complete control of mtg and wiped hard control out.

Vintage and Legacy are both shockingly healthy around here. I never thought I'd actually see a vintage match but it turns out my LGS holds tournaments. It's kind of surreal.

At the same time, Standard is deader than disco in the same area and modern on life support. I think the area split from Eath-Prime into this particular alternate timeline around five years ago, but I go rarely enough that it could have been earlier and I just didn't notice.

if you're playing multiplayer EDH then yeah, you do need to concern yourself with what other players like and what they don't like. if 3 other players are telling you that playing tooth and nail makes you a dipshit, then you should realize that you're in the wrong there, and not them.

if you don't care about other people's enjoyment in EDH, then i'm saddened to inform you that you're a That Guy and you're playing the wrong format

"pssh, nothing personnel, kid"

What?

There's no way that duals ever get banned.

>the joke
>your head
Relax breh.

It's literally just a Juzam Djinn that incidentally hoses slivers. Juzam Djinn was a really important card in early M:tG and still has kickass art and commands an insane price (for what it does), but it's not really what we'd like to call 'good' anymore.

>haven't bought a pack in 6 years
more like a decade at least

proxies are stupid, there are no affordable decks in legacy worth playing, the reserved list was a mistake and i would gladly see it done away with (and i even own several reserved list cards), also i do play other formats but legacy is my favorite and i want more people to play with cause its super fun and rewarding

>Poor babbies couldn't handle a control deck.
>Poor format couldn't handle 1-mana instant-speed wrath effects and a two-card hard lock.
FTFY

Why whine when you probably haven't ever played against it?

>>There's no way that duals ever get banned.

i just said it seems more likely than them reprinting them

i don't think wotc wants to open that can of autists

and again you literally dont, especially at an lgs

you have the mindset of a child

>I never thought I'd actually see a vintage match but it turns out my LGS holds tournaments. It's kind of surreal.
Exactly, Vintage is like a mythological thing to many players but it is real and it isn't entirely filled with turn-1-kill decks by any means. it's entirely filled with Thorn of Amethyst and Mentor instead

whoops forgot my pic
>modern on life support
That's unfortunate. It seems like a pretty fun, healthy format atm.
>inb4 lul muh death's shadow xd

>stop liking what i don't like

what? i am literally saying play whatever you want. that is the exact opposite of stop liking what i dont like

do you have brain damage or just extreme autism?

I played against it plenty and played it myself. I still have Miracles built because I haven't played Legacy since it got banned.

>its super fun and rewarding
This. The depth of the format is insane- plays, card interaction, deck selection, metagame, etc.

Shame that the Reserved List dampens it so much.

would be cool as a standalone commander.
Are there any mono white "return a bunch of shit to your hand" cards?

>Miracles player still complaining about the Top ban
It's the gift that keeps on giving.

It's your right to play what you want (as long as it's within the spectrum of things what were agreed upon beforehand; ie format rules and any cleanly and openly stated houserules).

It's the right of everyone else to decide you're a tryhard shitter and they don't want to play with you anymore. If you're playing casual and find yourself in the minority, especially the solitary minority, when it comes to a conflict like this you kowtow to the group (and play 75%/no infinites/whatever) or find yourself out that table/playgroup. Same thing goes in reverse, I usually play at ~75% tops so if I walked into a cEDH playgroup I would fairly quickly need to git gud, git gone, or just suck up a 0% winrate.

Only one I know of. White had a bit of theme of returning to hand in Time Spiral block.

>there are no affordable decks in legacy worth playing,
I've often thought this myself, but I've been eyeing manaless dredge that can weigh in at under 200 burgerdollars.

Animar, Yidris, Sliver Queen, and all of this one fag's totally not netdeck decks at least in my meta, but edric is clear sign of someone to not play with
>banning top was bullshit
Miraclefags still salty, I kicked your ass with goblins and I'll do it even more efficiently with your top gone

>White had a bit of theme of returning to hand in Time Spiral block.
Only in planar chaos, really. In addition to Dusty there's Stormfront Riders (as started the discussion), Stonecloaker, and Whitemane Lion off the top of my head, but Dusty is by far the best of the lot.

You could play UW and run Sunken Hope+equilibrium and fun ETBs, but you'd probably be better off with Flicker.

>What commander just makes you groan
Do not sit down with Azami players.

They want to play Solitaire, not Magic.

I'm fine with designed commanders like Nekusar that follow the same rules as everything else, but partner commanders, or commanders that interact with the command zone or from the command zone in particular ways? Those irritate me.

How do you feel about Experience counters, and would you feel differently if cards other than EXP-generating designed commanders used them?

I tried once to tinker with an Esper self-bounce deck but yeah flicker is a lot better. You'd need green to make all that mana to bounce and recast stuff.