2000AD - ABC Warriors: The Black Hole

SPREAD THE WORD!

Few sane minds could truly stand millennia of war. After the Volgan War, after the conquest of Mars, after the rise of the Termite Empire and the endless wars against the alien, after border conflicts and assassinations, after purges and pogroms, the endless evidence of man’s inhumanity would grind down even the stoutest heart.

Sanity, however, is an overrated concept.

The ABC Warriors started life in a comic called Ro-Busters, detailing the exploits of a robot search and rescue squad. The Ro-Busters eventually found new life in 2000AD in stories that gave details of their violent pasts and even more violent futures. The comic became one of the iconic serials of the British weekly, joining the ranks of Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Slaine, and Nemesis the Warlock.

Between 1983 and 1984 the Warriors began, one-by one, to be introduced into a crossover storyline in Nemesis. Set in a demented future of xenocidal terminator crusaders, alien sorcerers and centaurs, neo-Victorian obsessives, time travel, poorly understood but highly advanced technology and maniacs of every creed, colour and species, Nemesis the Warlock formed one long story made up of several chapter-like Books, which we’ve all been along over the last few days.

Much like Nemesis, as well as providing occasionally baffling inspiration to players and GMS of future fantasy games, the ABC Warriors provide a good deal of insight into the development of the 40k universe. Mongoose games also produced miniature warriors to go with their Judge Dredd skirmish game, though they are unfortunately not presently for sale.

Nemesis the Warlock :
Prologue, Books One and Two Books Three and the first half of Book F our Book Four Second half of Book Four, Book Five and First half of Book Six Second half of Books Six, Book Seven

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU
smuzz.org.uk/
mediafire.com/file/sl4z9dksb3m61b6/01_-_The_A.B.C._Warriors_-_The_Black_Hole_(Part_1).cbr
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

For other recent 2000AD storytimes, see
Dreams of Deadworld and The Fall of Deadworld: Sinister Dexter:

A short history lesson to get new readers up to speed.

The Black Hole Bypass is the means by which humans acheieve intersteller travel. It relies on arcane machinery built into the former Emperor's tomb, and takes the form of a series of tubes spreading out in an inter-dimensional web.

Who could that mysterious biker lurking in the shadows be?

The art for this story was provided by a young Simon Bisley, who would go on carve out a very profitable niche for himself as one of the most influential comics artists of the 90s. Bisley at this time had almost no experience working in comics, most of his work having come from heavy metal album covers and a t-shirt design for Kerrang.

Fun fact: While he was designing and sculpting the Vindicare Assassin for Games Workshop, Jes Goodwin had a poster of super sniper Joe Pineapples in his room. The poster was very likely based on the bottom left panel

Rumour has it that back in the day, long before the move to Nottingham and the company became an international concern, the Games Workshop and 2000AD staff all drank in the same local pub.

Oh dear.

This reveal makes much less sense if you've been following along from the start. Deadlock is an ancient robot knight and Khaos sorcerer who long predates the Termite Empire and the rise of Torquemada. After a lifetime of study he was able to summon and become one with Nemesis, , which is how the Warlock was able to convince the Warriors to join him in the first place - they're supposedly the same person!

Blackblood (the one eyed robot in the sweet hat) losing his leg becomes slightly important later.

However, while he was sill a student, he sent a painting of a menacing robot holding a baby to the 2000AD office, where it was seen by Pat Mills. Mills was so impressed that it inspired him to relaunch the ABC Warriors strip as distinct from Nemesis the Warlock, with Bisley as artist, in 1987. The painting became the basis for this scene.

Bisley would work with Mills again on the seminal Slaine story The Horned God. Bisley also painted the intercompany crossover Judge Dredd and Batman, Judgement on Gotham.

Sorry that last paragraph should link up to . I forgot to rewrite it properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=bkysjcs5vFU

Joe Pineapple a cute.

He is, fabulously so he said knowingly. Bisley actually redesigned him for the Black Hole, as previously he tended to have a much more contemporary, real-world sniper soldier style design.

Thank you also for commenting , I can't bump the thread on my own and its always nice to know people are reading along.

An artist going by the name SMS (or "Smuzz" alternates art duties with Simon Bisley on The Black Hole. Where Bisley has a flowing, exaggerated style that shows the influence of Kevin O'Neil and a love of the grotesque, SMS is more restrained and semi-realistic.

While this was one of the only things SMS did for 2000AD, he has done quite a bit of illustration work over the years, including some for Games Workshop
smuzz.org.uk/

This is a callback to Nemesis

Finally! I was getting worried.

Sorry, had some real life issues. Still, only missed a day!

Deadlock's referring to chakras here.

I think I've seen that pose somewhere before... Can't put my finger on it, though.

>And felt Deadlock’s Ace of Swords between my ribs before.
This is a reference to the first ABC Warriors story featuring Deadlock, which ends with Hammerstein recruiting the wizard after allowing himself through by ten magical swords.

I know, there's just... something about it.

>recruiting the wizard after allowing himself TO BE RUN through by ten magical swords.

I'm clearly going blind, I thought I'd proofread that.

Yep, that's yer basic Christ-like imagery, right down to the crown of thorns.

This era was revisited in the recent-ish series Savage.

The Marvin Award is based on the costume for Marvin the Paranoid Android from the 1981 BBC adaptation of Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Back to the Biz for this bit.

I understood that reference...

End of Part One

mediafire.com/file/sl4z9dksb3m61b6/01_-_The_A.B.C._Warriors_-_The_Black_Hole_(Part_1).cbr

I think this might have been the painting Bisley sent Mills, or at least another version of it.

Do not cuck the robot.

PART TWO

In an earlier thread, one user mentioned how well the ABC Warriors would suit "a DM of the Rings" style rewrite as a group of bickering players. The next part has a very obvious PC Plan.

Worked though!

More backstory and worldbuilding.

"Agartha" is a legendary city at the earth's core which is frequently confused with Shamballa. Its a popular subject in occultism and esotericism.

Deadlock is riffing on the biblical Book of Revelation, 18:10.

It may not have been immediately clear, but while story started in the era of Nemesis the Warlock and Torquemada's empire, but in their travels through the time wastes the warriors have gone back to an era long before Torquemada's rise in order to fix the Black Hole generator. This page shows us what Terra looked like before their society collapsed to what we see in the first few books of Nemesis, where a mere look outside your window can drive you completely insane.

Anti-nuclear protests by groups like the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) were very common in the 1980s. The arguments on this page would have been very familiar to a contemporary reader.

Revelation 9:11

>9 The fifth angel sounded his trumpet, and I saw a star that had fallen from the sky to the earth. The star was given the key to the shaft of the Abyss. 2 When he opened the Abyss, smoke rose from it like the smoke from a gigantic furnace. The sun and sky were darkened by the smoke from the Abyss. 3 And out of the smoke locusts came down on the earth and were given power like that of scorpions of the earth. 4 They were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any plant or tree, but only those people who did not have the seal of God on their foreheads. 5 They were not allowed to kill them but only to torture them for five months. And the agony they suffered was like that of the sting of a scorpion when it strikes. 6 During those days people will seek death but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.

>7 The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. 8 Their hair was like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. 9 They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle. 10 They had tails with stingers, like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months.

11 They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer).

And this kids is what Games Workshop would 'borrow' for background to their sci-fi game, a game that eventually became known as Warhammer 40.000.