Interested in Wargaming

Hi Veeky Forumslads,

I want to play warhammer (40k) because the lore is very interesting and the tactical combat side of things is very appealing, but I feel like painting and learning the rules are just long and tedious processes that I wouldn't be good at.

Am I missing out? Is it worth it?

Just for consideration this is coming from somebody with zero experience in wargames.

Rules are honestly pretty straightforward
Paining can be tedious if you don't enjoy it, maybe get a small number of test models and see how you go.

One option is perhaps looking at smaller model-count games that are played at your local stores or clubs.
Malifaux and Infinity are pretty great, and only need a dozen miniatures to play.

Another think to consider is asking if someone can run you through a demo game to see if you'll enjoy it.

>Am I missing out?
Yes.
>Is it worth it?
No.

Luckily for you warhammer's new rules are very short and simple.

Oh neat, is this for both editions? Do they have the same general gameplay?

By edition I mean "age of sigmar" and "40k"

They're different games, with different rules.

40k just got a new ruleset that streamlined the game quite a bit.

Learning the rules isn't really hard, and the new edition is a lot easier to pick up then the last one.
Painting can be somewhat tedious, but you might end up liking it. If not, you can probably pick up painted units on ebay if you look long enough, if all you really want to do is play the game.
I really like playing it, but I haven't played any of the other wargames out there.

Age of Sigmar is Fantasy
40k is sci-fi

Both games are in a good spot right now, if you don't like painting there are many factions that are super easy to paint.

Space Marines, Stormcast Eternals, Necrons and a few others are all basically slather one color -> slather in wash -> highlight -> details -> done.

Painting is way less difficult than it looks though, and GW puts out a ton of videos for newbies on how to paint.

>40k
>Scifi
Minor detail, but it's really more Space-Fantasy than Scifi

New people might be confused by that distinction.

Once I figure out the rules, where should I go for advice to selecting my first test army?

Pick stuff you think looks cool and go from there

40k has pretty big armies.
If you aren't excited at the idea of painting them now, it might really become a chore later on.

Maybe start with Shadow War Armageddon. You can basically play with 10 models of the faction you like and if you realise you like it and can deal with painting more than a handful of models, you could expand.

>the tactical combat side of things is very appealing
Its not actually that tactical. Generally the more powerful army list or most recent codex wins a battle. Actual tactics don't really matter.

There are some very minor target priority type "tactics" but things like flanking or anything from sun tzu won't do shit.

40K is a game designed to sell miniatures and generate profit. It's not very good as an actual wargame.

If you want something with tactics that is simpler than 40K you could try some historical wargames - they come in a variety of complexity levels. Wings of War for example is very simple and games like Shako or Black Powder are about the same complexity as 40K and yet are full of meaningful tactical choices that actually effect the outcome of the game.

In the end you ideally want to be able to play games with people, so I would recommend heading along to your local wargames club, see what people are playing and what appeals to you. I'm sure people will be willing to help you learn any game you like and they will lend you armies to play with at the club until you get around to building you own. They will give you advice on modelling and painting etc.

So your local wargames club should be your first stop in this journey. Google the name of your city and "wargame club" or other keywords if you don't know of any.

I felt this way about some of the earlier editions of 40k, but I've actually found 8th edition to not be so bad.

>Test army
Don't waste money like that, get the army you find most appealing aesthetics wise.

If you think the current iteration of Warhammer is too 'long and tedious' then wargaming probably isn't for you.

I literally have no idea how to play though. I just imagine the experience to take a while to learn, unless I'm totally wrong.

Rather than posting online, I think you should go to a store and ask about a demo game.

Both 40k and AoS have very simple rules at the moment, I wouldn't make that a concern.

Okay dumb rules question about shooting phase in 8th.

So if I have a model that has two guns, and both are in range of two different units. Do I elect gun targets then all fire resolves - OR - do I pick a target, shoot, resolve, then pick a second target, shoot, resolve?

Its a stupid argument my two friends are having right now

Pick targets at the same time.

You pick a SINGLE unit, declare every target for all of its units/weapons, resolve them all at the same time, then move on to another unit.

So, in this particular case, you pick a target for both guns from this model, and fire them "at the same time".

I'm absolutely terrible at painting, but I love doing it. It's a great way to relax.

The rules aren't that hard to pick up once you actually start playing

>Age of Sigmar is Fantasy

fuck off

What genre is it then if it's not fantasy.

calling it Fantasy sounds like you were saying it was still WHFB

Naw, that goose was cooked a long time ago. I'm glad GW remade it into AoS and breathed some life into that dead game.

AoS actually made me dust off all my old models and have some fun again

t. redshirts

The current rules for Warhammer 40,000 are about 11 pages long. Within one game you will be fluent.

Go to the 40K general and download all the index books for 8th edition.

If you call delivering stillbirth 'breathing some life into a game' then yes, GW did an excellent job.

In a good way or bad way?

For Warhammer 40K in a good way, for Warhammer Fantasy in a bad way.

Well that's not bad.

I learned how to be good at MTG so I guess getting good at this won't be much of a chore.

If you go to a GW store they'll teach you how to build and paint for free

The catch is after the first time you need to buy shit

Which you can buy from them or online websites or FLGS or w/e

Then you roll up to the GW and they will teach you how to paint and how to play and hold your hand through it all

they do it for free

>learned how to be good at MTG

Oh so you a high paying job

Not necessarily, I just know how to spend my money wisely.

So all the army lists are balanced and each has an equal chance of winning against all others?

Somehow I doubt it...