What breed of dog would dwarves keep as companions?

What breed of dog would dwarves keep as companions?

One bred to deal with the creatures that live in tunnels and other sorts of burrowing creatures.

So probably some really big kind of terrier.

Pugs, because I like my pug.

Okay but anywhere I could download that whole thing?

Long, weasel-like dachshunds to rescue those lost in cave-ins and weed pests out of the tunnels and crawlspaces.

Dwarves with pit bull terriers chasing off giant tunnel badgers? Sounds great

Big ass doggos to ride in combat

Several breeds.
Stocky guard dogs
Stocky Dachshounds for pest control
Stocky Chiuahuas for warmth during cold nights deep in mines
Not dogs, but stocky canary birds to tell when the air is toxic and it's time to move out

This was my first thought.

This bad boy right here

>has it's own little beard
perfect.

the ones with beer under the collar

Bearded Dachshunds

Based.

I'd love to see these with dwarven-style beards. You know, far too long, tons of beads and braids

Halflings

all of them with beards ?

Pekingese. Small, aggressive, give no fucks.

Small to medium seized terriers, maybe schnauzers too.

Seems a good a place as any to ask, has anyone played pugmire?

2cat

Something with short legs and a thick, muscular body. Probably a long coat for extra protection from both enemies and elements (it can get fairly cold underground, unless you are close to volcanic activity), this also allows it produce useful amounts of fur, like a sheep. A stronger focus on a sense of smell and hearing than strong sight (so perky ears and a long snout), as smells linger underground due to a lack of rain or much wind, while it is often dark.

Him

>not using pet moles in your subterranean setting

lmao

Staffordshire bull terriers are the only correct answer as far as existing dog breeds go.
>Loyal
>Hardy
>Compact
>Strong
>Great guard dogs
>Excellent at pest removal
>Top tier fighters
>Smiley as fuck

You don't even need to reinvent it as a distinct breed for your game. Just give it a padded stab vest for warmth and protection and a pair of night vision goggles for tunnel work.

Also
Pitbull a shit. Get your ghetto ass dog breed out of this thread.

St. Bernard for rescue operations. Also I can pocture dwarves riding them into battle and it's the greatest thing ever.

Elves.
Elves are dog breed, right?

Mr worldwide says otherwise

Who?

Mr. 305

Dwarves actually make extensive use of animals, as is frequently common in pre industrial societies.

Canaries for the coal miners, of course, and all the other digging as well. Due to the frequent association with mountains there are an array of mid to larger sizes pack animals such as goats, donkeys, and sometimes even yaks that are used primarily to transport goods and people and sometimes to push and pull. Horses and cows are a poor fit; they require far too much food and space and can never be used in the tunnels so they're more trouble than it's worth--the extreme feeding requirements aren't sustainable in dwarf settlements, although rural dwarves living away from the holds will sometimes have ranches if the space permits. Pigs are reared extensively, for food and for war and for truffle hunting (dwarves and pigs alike have a keen fondness, matched only by elves and incidentally this has twice been responsible for major diplomatic achievements). Pigs are rarely used as dedicated pack animals, though, because their high intelligence can make them difficult to handle.

Occasionally an ambitious group will get together and try to capture something rhino sized, but this is largely considered a fancy. The knowledge of gears is well understood, and it's easier to link a hundred goats than catch, Cafe, train, and keep alive a rhino.

Scouts and hunters make frequent use of dogs and moles and badgers in a combination usually dictated by the area they survey. Cats are ever present; their populations maintained due to their ratting skills. Chickens and pidgeons are both reared for food (pidgeons for communication as well) and wild turkeys are often managed.

All settlements need water; most have a stream or lake. Underground streams are usually exposed for their aesthetic as well as practical value, and the bounty of the water varies by locale but almost universally includes crabs, crawfish, eels, and small fish.

As you can imagine, waste management is critical to dwarves. Their myths are filled with warnings of uncleanliness; we know from our own learning that epidemics are disastrously likely to spread and devastate communities when many animals of poor health are kept in close proximity to people.

So pigs, fungi, crabs, shrimp, fire, chickens,and worms are all used in a rather complicated scheme to minimize waste. It often goes unnoticed, but a great amount of space and effort is used cleaning up manufacturing waste as well--usually through a combination of fungal treatments and filtration.

What? The fuck are you on about?

This seems pre-thought out. Have you written this before?

Ahhh, scottish terrier. Truly the breed of the finest dwarven gentlemen.

Also, it was my dog for 14 years. Dumb as a rock, but with a stubborn and noble character. Miss her to this day.

Nope, I'm just on a roll.

Also I've started balancing my history reading with some anthropology, and an important part of that is that prior to the modern world, animals and slaves were used the way we use machines now

You know, lil chico

What the fuck are you on

They would have wolpertinger

Agreed.

What the fuck are you on?

Those chinese ones designed for being eaten, probably.

You know, Mr. Dade County