media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Unearthed Arcana will be focusing on subsystems for the next few months. What subsystem of the game are you most excited for Mike Mearls to work on next?

Death and dying. Mostly because the current rules are boring and hitting 0 isn't punishing enough when the Paladin/cleric can just put you back at 1 for basically nothing.

>Mostly because the current rules are boring and hitting 0 isn't punishing enough when the Paladin/cleric can just put you back at 1 for basically nothing.
This has been a problem as long as D&D has had 0 hit points not be instant death.

In 3.5e you die if you take just 10 points of damage past 0, but any healing above 0 puts you back at normal capacity.

In 4e you make the same death saving throws but it still had negative hit points, but you are still back to full capacity.

People are always nervous about implementing death spiral stuff from other systems into D&D, and for good reason.

>3 threads currently in catalog
Fucking stop.

>In 4e you make the same death saving throws but it still had negative hit points, but you are still back to full capacity.

In 4e healing is very limited though.

Your leader has 2-3 heals and that's basically it.

In 5e, you have as many heals as 1st level slots at least.

Last thread was a shitfest.

Playing revised kensei. Whats a better pick whip or longsword proficiency at level 3?

Is an elder elemental a viable patron for a Warlock?

What would a senile old wizard name a construct he built to cook his meals for him?

Wee Jas is a silly name for a god.

The Iron Chef.

I've heard him talk about design on a few podcasts. He's well spoken to the point that it's not surprising how he got where he is. I've heard he's got some major DMing chops too, as of that live stream event they did not long ago.

But I'll be damned if he doesn't look like some cliched and very unflattering example of "lead tabletop RPG designer" that you would see in some piece of media or another.

Rock

In a setting where a lot of climbing and exploration is to be expected, what are so good magic items to give the players?

Agreed. Made the mistake of making mention of him as a potential threat. Didn't even make it a whole session before I needed a new name instead. Fucking "weedass"

Jesse

Mearls is going to be what kills 5e and causes another Pathfinder situation.

>Weapon breakage
Could it be...
Dark Sun?

I feel like exploration could stand to be revamped. It currently comes down to "I roll perception to search the room" and auto-ignoring difficult terrain. Surely there's a way to make Ranger-ing more meaningful without people just wanting to flat out skip those parts of the game.

Mr. Stone Stove

How do bard instruments not break all the time anyway?

>fucking the martials even more!
welp

Whatbtype of action is putting away a weapon and then equipping another?

A different name every time he spoke to it

Is the construct just a cook or does it already come with a built-in stove, refrigerator, blender and other general kitchen appliances?

How would you guys do gestalt in 5e? I was just thinking about it and I don't think there's a way to do it without breaking things way more than gestalt usually would.

Drawing a weapon can be done as part of an attack. Putting a weapon away (not just dropping it) is an action.

yes

Well, they're definitely going to leap into either Dark Sun or Eberron after the Mystic makes it through its development pipeline (though obviously Eberron would need the Artificer to be in a good place too).

I'm hoping for some sort of setting omnibus with three or four settings in it. A 30-40 page write-up of each setting complimented by a list of all the rule variants to use out of the DMG and/or Xanathar's Guide, and boom, you're off to the races.
It'd probably presented by Elminster, a well known reality hopper and a natural bridge from FR. If not him, then tie it to Planescape.

Just a cook. He's a Warforged.

Nah, he's a Kitchenforged.

heheheh

Perhaps a free level in another class, every so often.
Ultimately depends on what exactly you want to accomplish.

Why wait for Mearls? I made this so we won't have to!

Nah he's me, Bender!

That's about what I was going for.

I still don't know what class to make him.

I've narrowed it down to bard and barbarian. I think bard fits better but I don't want the +1 strength Warforged get to go to waste.

You get one free item interaction per turn. Drawing and stowing a weapon both qualify for this. Any additional item interactions require your action.

Only apply ASIs from a single class.
Other than that, it should be simpler than ever, since BAB no longer exists.
The only issue you'd have it spell slots. The best solution is not to gestalt two spellcasters. If gestalting a full caster with a half-caster (or whatever), use whichever gives you more spell slots.

Fighter would make the most sense, unless you want to go warlock or druid.

This is pretty a pretty good homebrew, but I do wish there was an official well put together Strength Monk.

Divination Wizard's Portent at 2nd level seems awfully OP. Is it?

I can't play fighter. I don't know why. Every time I try to make one I just lose interest halfway through making the character sheet and I never look back.

How would warlock or druid fit, in your opinion? I'm not arguing with you, I really want to know. I think a case could be made for most classes, honestly. Chef is a pretty broad thing.

Please stop posting this shit. It honestly almost makes me think you're just whoever made it.

...I'm a bad person for actually liking this right?

Minor corrections - Sensible THAC0 should be 20 - proficiency modifier.

I see no evidence for your fears.

It's certainly strong, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it overpowered. Fun and effective, feels good to use, but it doesn't break anything or make any other characters less empowered by existing.

And usually the good rolls are better off being used on friends rather than yourself, anyways.

Every time he refers to him either make up a name, have a generator, or roll 1d20:
1: Alfred
2: Geoffrey
3: Jeeves
4: Giles
5: Higgins
6: Jarvis
7: Symthe
8: Jenkins
9: Edwin
10: Winston
11: Raymond
12: Sebastian
13: Smithers
14: George
15: Edgar
16: Barnabus
17: Roland
18: Theodore
19: Percival
20: Hobbes

That's not bad although it would give way too much advantage to throwing fighter on for the ASIs. I also think it may be best to take the better of anything with casting (i.e. if one half of the gestalt gives more spells at a level take that for that level and if one half is pure warlock then short rests regain spells).

valor bard?

I feel like a warforged, or warforged servant is kind of limited in what he would be able to accomplish on his own. Going from butler to barbarian feels really odd but I guess you can write anything. Warforged fighter just feels natural to me.
The cool thing about becoming a warlock is it can happen to pretty much everyone and druid feels more like a spiritual awakening than any other class.

I'm pretty sure that unless someone requests something specific, nobody ever posts anyone else's homebrew.
For example, the last time this user posted his Pugilist, I retorted by making unarmed archetypes for other classes, which is what he should have done to begin with. And as implied, I will now shill them as well.

kys my man

heyyy I remember telling you that I thought you should give the brawler unarmed defense, back in the glory days

I feel dirty... but maybe I'd put Warlock in Priest and Monk in Warrior. Something about actually having Fighty guys better at attacking then other classes feels reasonable.

Eventually.
But don't worry, I'm not going to post this twice a day like PugilistFag. In fact, if other people get mad, I'll remove it from this thread. I truly don't want to be a nuisance.

Valor bard was something I considered but if I'm being honest I don't know a whole lot about it. I considered having the "great hero" he draws his inspiration from just be the shitty wizard who slapped him together.

I was going to flavor the barbarian rage as going into a sort of culinary trance when he's met with an enemy. Like a sort of programming that takes hold as soon as he's faced with something he's meant to cook.

As specified in the FAQ, classes that didn't exist in 2e aren't going to fare well in a system designed to emulate it.
That said, it's a fucking homebrew. Do whatever you want - your ruling is as valid as mine.

Of course I remember, user! Good times.
I'm still trying to think of a better Bear Warrior capstone, though, if you've got any thoughts on that.

It's no big deal. What are they going to do, complain?

Party just beat the biggest crime lord of a major city. He slowly rose to power after stealing a dwarven magical sword and impressing underlings and enemies with his 'combat prowess'
The PCs now have this sword.
Is this too strong for a level 7?

Master Rapier
Every weapon that meets it in combat rings in subservience to it.
+1 to atk and dmg rolls
Once per long rest, you can use your reaction to cast Blade Ward but the spell's duration lasts for a number of rounds equal to your proficiency modifier

Nope. That's fine for a low-mid level magical weapon.

The only real problem is
>dwarven sword
>rapier

Yes, but see, I have low self-esteem and I don't like bothering people.

This tbhfam

Fuck that's true. Longsword it is then

For added dwarven flavor, call it a broadsword (but use longsword stats).

>Warforged druid
>Spiritual awakening
Pic related????

I kinda hate the initiative ua, only for that it doesn't account for Dexterity.

>if you've got any thoughts on that.
I've looked over the capstone, among other barb capstone, but I've not played any high level games so I'm just spit balling. Some ideas have are, make the dealing of STRmod+rage automatic, no bonus action, while keeping the second current benefit, so to keep that free BA relevant. Maybe be able to attempt to grapple as a reaction on a missed attack?

I don't understand why people see "Oh here's the 5E thread full of people that like 5E. That must be the perfect place to shit on it."

Hey guys, how about instead of the initiative system, which is already bad, or this Mearls initiative which is worse, how about this:

When combat starts, roll a d20. If you roll your Dex score or under, you go before the monsters. If you roll over it, you go after them.

It's based on rules from the era of minute-long rounds. Using dexterity, the attribute of quick reactions, didn't make sense back then.
That said, it's questionable whether it makes sense now. Being quick is not the same as being decisive.

Those are good spitballs. I especially like grappling on a missed attack.
>Man attacks bear
>Sword stuck in hide, harmlessly
>Bear grabs man
Let me see what I can cook up.

What 3-4 settings would you like to see user?

>I especially like grappling on a missed attack.
Thank you, got the idea from the berserker archetype, which can make a reaction attack when it takes damage

I'm not a fan of the setting omnibus idea, simply because they've already shown that they can write a whole goddamn book on the Sword Coast.

In addition, they also want to add on to existing lore. The problem with 3.5 and 4e was that they wrote like one handbook for a setting that just regurgitated the fluff from 1e and 2e.

Actually, the berserker raises a good point. Barbarians aren't about avoiding damage. I think it might make more sense to make the reaction grapple when hit than when missed.
And then for some icing, grapple as an opportunity attack.
Something like:

Bear's Frenzy

At 14th level, the spirit of the bear takes you over so completely that it produces minor physical changes in your body while you rage. When you make an unarmed attack, you can choose to deal slashing or piercing damage in place of bludgeoning damage.

Additionally, when an enemy hits you with a melee attack or leaves the reach of your unarmed attacks, you can make a grapple attempt against that enemy as a reaction.

>Firefox autocorrects "berserker" to "berserk"
>TFW backwards etymology wins out over the original term

Any hope for a Paladin or Ranger Unarmed Archetype? I'd love to see those, you seem to have a good grasp on 5e design.

D6 and modifier is better.

>Actually, the berserker raises a good point. Barbarians aren't about avoiding damage.
That's a good idea, didn't think of that, I did like the imagery of your example though, so maybe just, makes a melee attack against you be the trigger? That might raise some balance concerns though. However the average barb will only have two hands for grappling, so maybe not

Would a STR based valor bard be at all viable or would I be gimping myself by not going DEX?

Also, what class would pair well with a stone sorcerer?

1. On a grapple build, just have 14 DEX though
2. Maybe Hexblade?

>Man attacks bear with sword
>Bear roars in anger, ignoring sword
>Bear grabs man and crushes him
Still works!

Aw shucks.
I was actually considering those two, but wanted to focus on the most important ones (in my opinion) first. But I absolutely wouldn't mind working on ranger and paladin as well, if I had a good fluff/mechanical niche concept for them.
For the paladin, I can see a "holy fist" archetype, based around unarmored defense and unarmed smiting. The main problem is that paladin archetypes are oath-related, and I'm not sure what the oath here would be.
For the ranger, I'm drawing a blank on both fluff and mechanical direction.

What about grappling makes a str-based valor bard work, exactly?

Is it just that grappling is strong in general?

Well it would be optimal to grappling build, because you take expertise in athletics so you have good chances to grapple enemies and prone them. Since they're grappled they can't get up from bring prone without breaking the grapple, you immobilize one target and give all melee combatants adv. to hit them.

you could do a str bard, but outside of grapple memes with athletics expertise they just benefit less from strength than they do other stats

valor and sword bards only get medium armor prof, so you're most likely going to want 14 dex anyway for the ac

valor bard does better with bows because they can grab swift quiver, while everything sword bards do is limited to 1-handers that are as good dex as str

theres nothing stopping you from doing a valor bard using a 2hander, haste, and pam/gwm, but why not just be a paladin or even stone sorc at that point?

>The main problem is that paladin archetypes are oath-related, and I'm not sure what the oath here would be.
I'd also imagine that any oath based off of unarmed fighting for paladins would be oozing monk flavor as well, with asceticism and all that

Yeah. Honestly, with how the paladin is currently set up, it would make more sense to make a monk archetype with paladin abilities than the other way round.
Like, ki smiting or something.
Hmm...
Then again, maybe something like "Oath of Perfection" could work, but it's a bit goofy.

Grappling is strong, but you need to meet a few conditions to use it effectively:

- You should be STR-focused.
- You should have Expertise in Athletics.
- You should have a source of STR check Advantage.
- You should have Extra Attack.

Valor Bard is the only single-class that meets all those conditions. Now, Barbarian dipping Rogue or vice versa can do it better (as Rage advantage is reliant on Concentration + it provides damage resistance, Cunning Action aids mobility, and Sneak Attack improves 1h damage), but Valor Bard is functional.

That said, if you want to actually be effective in combat outside of that tactic, Valor Bard doesn't really offer much by itself... DEX-based works, as you can poach Swift Quiver with your 10th level Magical Secrets (con: not until 10th level), as does a Paladin multiclass where you only dip two levels for the Fighting Style + Divine Smite, but I reckon that's about it for any primarily-Bard build.

>currently thinking up other characters I want to make for the hell of it while my necromancer doctor is on standby during the pause in weekly sessions.

>Want to make a dwarf possessed by a fey mood, collabing with whatever dm is stick with him to make some elemental item of a sort, decide to go with fighter and go to eldritch knight because he would assume making something attuned to the elements would require a bit of magic.

> Also think it would be interesting if he still runs in to creative blockages because of an unquiet mind from constant fucking vision dreams, so start looking for a class that might be interesting to multi in to if it ever gets there for him to learn to keep himself level. End up going with monk and WOT4E because it ends up fitting rather well with what I'm trying to do with him.

>Mfw It takes me a moment to realize I've made a build desperately trying to be a caster in a matrial body AND is more than likely utterly shit

>Still want to do it anyway because it would make for a fun character and story to play out

Tell me Veeky Forums, when are the times you chose the unoptimal dumbass option because you wanted to do story stuff.

>it would make more sense to make a monk archetype with paladin abilities
sounds like a much better idea, than a paladin with monk abilities
>"Oath of Perfection"
I was thinking maybe Oath of Humility

Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

I'm not even really stuck on bard necessarily. I'm just playing a race with a STR modifier and I'd hate to see it go to waste, but I really don't have any fun playing things like barbarian or fighter. I get bored easily and I hate having to commit my entire build to being half as useful as a wizard or a sorcerer that isn't even optimizing.

Today I will remind them.
your game sucks

Longsword because d10 >>> d4

Get whip later once your martial arts is at least a d6

I'm playing an Aasimar Barbarian because I want to do shit with reconciling the wild spirituality of the Barbarian Tribe and the Celestial Heritage.

Are you taking 14 dex for medium armor at least? If you don't want to do that, the Heavily Armored feat is an option. Extra useful if your strength score is an odd number.

>Oath of Humility
Ooh, that sounds a lot less douchey. A sort of noble oath of poverty/respect towards others.
I'll see if I can think of some decent class features.

What class kill fiend fast?

Except there's already a UA Paladin archetype that's about humility or something. They don't wear armor and they only use simple weapons. Can't remember the name of it...

Baladen :-D:-D

Oath of Redemption

>we're going to be focusing more on subsystems, less on new options
Oh boy, the thing they can't get right because 5e's design goal is to be so simple everyone's brains turn into mush.
I'd rather get more archetypes thought up in five minutes, at least those are hit and miss.

"Commoner"

Ah well. Everything I was coming up with was more monk-like anyway.
Maybe I'll just make the smitin' monk archetype instead.