How would you run a sci-fi themed bloodborne type game?

How would you run a sci-fi themed bloodborne type game?

Speaking of, I remember some time ago tg brainstorming a setting which was exactly that, soulsborne-esque sci-fi setting. Whatever came out of it?

I would forgo the story and just make it more of a classic dungeon crawl experience with heavily punishing and/or tactical combat with a high variety in encounters leading up to interesting boss rooms which may or may not have any connection to why the player is here.
Have the rooms and spaces be interconnected, often return back into a previous room or area and focus on small but detailed areas rather then big and spacious ones.
Instead of a multitude of NPCs I'd create a fistful of returning ones that seem to appear out of nowhere and have their own agendas in this place.

To start off the story and setting, I would most likely throw the players in some sort of capsules or escape pods and have them crash into a old abandoned testing facility's tavern after their spaceship goes to shit by unknown reasons. There they quickly notice that it is not what it seems and quickly turns into a deathmarch in search of a way to get off the planet as soon as possible.

That technological rapture-event happened, only that AIs were neither niggers nore human - they generally just plain don't give a fuck any more and the majority don't bother to stick around either.

So now we're dealing with a Roadside Picknick-type situation (rummaging through ascended AI trash and navigating enviroments deformed by AI doing whatever they're doing) mashed up with people trying to go cyborg for various reasons and failing in various unexpected ways.

Dark Heresy on a planet that has a warp/cultist problem.

What game has the best combat out there?
Setting wise it's easy to come up with something. But the game needs to have good combat.

grimdark warframe type ninja shit stuck on a huge world sized ship

I think this was the final version of Lost Source before it fizzled out, but I might be wrong.

I think it'd be pretty easy imho. Turn Yharnam into some far off colony known for a foundation doing groundbreaking, miraculous medical work, I.e. the blood church. Turn the beasts into feral mutants, the hunters as mercenaries using advanced and experimental weapons, and basically leave the Great Ones as is.

bump

someone posted this awhile back, saved it cause it was a little interesting

My initial line of thought is straight-up authorities with modern and near-future weapons, tech, etc. vs. PCs with a bloodborne hunter's supernatural abilities- can take & dish out massive amounts of physical harm, can die and show up again later, have a home base that's literally some kind of dream realm thing. Complete with an old mentor who's actually the first of their kind.
-PCs and their ilk are some kind of old legend/fable come to life? A bloody curse upon the city, or fabled freedom fighters of old who've come back in response to renewed tyranny?
--I definitely think they should be a phenomenon which wasn't present in most of "modern" era, but has now manifested as direct or indirect consequence of society's dystopian state.

Dark Heresy

Blame! minus GBE technology.

M-Space. It's the Sci-Fi Spinoff of Mythras, which is the Design Mechanism's new version of RuneQuest 6 after Chaosium reclaimed the IP.

Alternatively, FFG Star Wars with the Force heavily Reflavored. The combat system could work very well for the style of combat Soulsborne evokes.

Replace souls/blood echoes with nanomachines. You get nano machines from the blood of enemies, or by ripping the colony factory out of their guts.

>nanomachines
>not cybermodules

Blood is replaced by data/memory
Eldritch horrors are viruses
Most enemies are corrupted programs
So basically Cthulhu+Tron.

Nanomodules.

>Takes place on a far off colony reached by sleeper ship
>Previously it was a place.of incredible post scarcity human achievement
>You tumble out of cryo with few memories into a grey goo horror scenario where corrupted subroutines have turned people into monsters and insane AI rule the hellscape
>Eventually you learn the collapse was caused by an ancient alien memetic virus that is conveyed via information
>Which is why the governing AI shut the colony down and sent out no word, due to the fact any outgoing information would spread the virus
>It now wakes humans up one at a time until one of them can fix the problem
>Every time you die it just shits out a clone of you with all your memories
>Slowly you come to realize that ALL the humanoid enemies you have faced or encountered are you, clones of you have been trying to solve the problem for centuries
>PvP/coop is the result of multiphasic transdimensional technology making reality... Fluid.

Yes, Blame!

Honestly, Bloodborne is already science fiction. It is a story of scientists messing with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know, and ignoring all ethical boundaries and the warnings of their elders to exploit it for their own profit, only too find they are toying with powers beyond their comprehension, left by some ancient precursor race. It's a classic science fiction morality tale, just wrapped up in terms someone from the 18th or 19th century would understand. Fitting, considering that is where the genre started.

If you want to make it more modern sci-fi, jsut chance some terms around and you are done. Yharnam becomes some out-of-the-way colony planet, the great ones are some ancient precursor race and the blood and other weird stuff is whatever nanotech or other nonsense they left behind.

Bloodborne style?

You and the other characters live in what until recently was a scifi utopia run by automated systems no one really understood. But some time ago things started to glitch out. The landscape has become broken and contradictory, spave bending in unnatural ways. People who relied the most on the technology of the world around them keep losing their memories, and and their minds degrade so does their physical form. There are some safe havens, but fewer every day as the corruption spreads.

Enemies include robots gone haywire, humans gone mad, and werid physics breaking horrors.

[Spoiler] The twist is that everything the players experience is virtual reality. They are all humans that retreated into hypersleep either in a vault or on a torchship to survive some crises. The virtual world is failing over time, something is going BAD on the outside and the computers cant handle it. The people going crazy are the ones whose hypersleep pod is failing, and in some cases already failed. Virtual_you can outlast meat-you, but the result isnt pretty.

Can you save your world? Or do you have to crash the program and eject everyone back into whatever hell they were trying to escape virtually? [/Spoiler]

>Senator Armstrong, I've come to bid you farewell.
>“Oh, I know, I know. You think now, to betray America.”
>“No, but you're batshit insane. I tell you, I will not forget our adage.”
>“...We are born of the machines, made men by the machines, undone by the machines. Our muscles are yet to swole... Fear the old machines."
>“I must take my leave.”
>“By the gods, fear it, Jack."