EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Delicious Salt" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
Give us your story of plays and the massive salt they've caused.

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/44776/661567-wort-
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-GYN-sidisi-reanimator/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-bullshit-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>no discord link
God bless.

Worldly Tutor for Rec Sage at EoT after an Omen Machine came down.

sit down to play with dood.
me: you competitive or casual
dood: casual.

dood wips out azami mono counterspell deck.
guys

game two?

I pull out my better deck and he taps out turn 3.
me: Armageddon
we both have some rocks so no biggie.
dood proceeds to not draw lands for the next ten turns as I slow roll braking his lands as he plays them and destroying his rocks as they come in to play. he manages 3 lands and casts high tide, in response I destroy one of his islands.
he mutters something a bout LD not letting him play spells. I point out his deck is basically counterspell.deck

he becomes a pile of salt.

>Give us your story of plays and the massive salt they've caused.
>going to die on upkeep to a mogis trigger because im at literally 1 life
>won every game that night at my lgs
>mogis player is wide open
>guy next to me swings at him with a 9/9
>tainted strike
>mogis player = dead
>dont die on upkeep
>draw debt to the deathless
>kill table
ha

Thank you OP, this is the first not-shit OP in a looong time. You've earned the right to make new threads whenever you want, as long as you use this power responsibly.

>t. Ancient Legendary OP

More like 'Discord shills BTFO" edition

Explain to a dude here, why do we hate the discord? Is it because it becomes a circlejerk and inherently is basically a namefag gathering place? Or is it just generally useless? Just curious on this one, after seeing both sides bitch each other out for like two weeks of threads now.

Yes, people come here because they prefer anonymity. If they wanted names they could go to an actual forum.

Fair. I can't really argue with that. Does anyone at least try to organize a few online games? Or is it just cancer?

>playing on Cockatrice
>join game
>hey user we're on discord, come join us and we'll start.

For fucks sake. I just want to play magic.

>playing Erebos, God of the Dead after he just came out
>players read him since he just got printed
>One dude won't stop talking shit
>"So it's a bad Greed? Literally the worst god."
>T1 Dark Ritual, Buried Alive fetching Reassembling Skeleton, Braids, It That Betrays
>T2 Bring back Reassembling Skeleton
>duderino laughs and points out that Bloodghast is so much better
>T3 Victimize returning Braids and It That Betrays
>dudebro sitting next to me untaps, I remind him to sac a land
>reads Braids
>sacs one of his two lands
>I ask him to hand it to me
>he asks me why
>he reads It That Betrays
>smuganimegirl.jpg

I fucking hated that guy. Haven't seen him around in a while, I hope he moved to Antarctica.

There are a few games, but they're overwhelmed by the cancer. I'm just waiting for the drama.

So he was right about Erebos.

Fuck Azami.

The "Your opponents can't gain life." clause shuts down a ton of shenanigans, you virtually never have to recast him short of something like All is Dust, and the draw ability is a really great mana sink.

I don't run him anymore, but he's pretty great in a board control strategy.

I've been gone for a while.
What are the most relevant cards since Theros?

>Running black Bradis

I hope your table was aware and agreeing to this

It didn't used to be banned, kiddo.

oh, a not shit EDH general. Thank you OP, please do that again.

just look at the last OP. Shit theme, shit topic. That's every time a discord fag gets to create OP, they can't resist the urge to type something stupid.

I am the saltiest one in my group and all my salt is due to politics. I'm probably the most competitive-minded player in my group and the others tend to group up to beat me after midgame. (We're playing precons mostly so it's not like my deck is cancer or anything). Does anyone else has this issue?

Quite a lot actually.

Are you looking for something in particular?

Question, Would a Mono-Green Stax work? If so, who would be the best commander for it?

i mean, smokestack + pick related + vomiting your lands sound cool

green doesn't have the best staxing cards

white has lots

black has lots

green doesn't

however green can hate the fuck out of artifacts and enchantments, which kinda counts as stax i guess

I'm not 110% on my chronology, but I'm fairly certain Banned-As-Commander, where she was since time immemorial, was dead and its contents dumped on the vanilla ban list well before Theros

Interesting, conflicting salt piles.

Selvala to break parity with a ridiculous mana engine.
Root Maze.

That locus of mana bro is great, lets you stack your mana and get big guys out fast

Titania possibly, or go for a non threatening commander. Hall of gemstone is a must include.

>Does anyone else has this issue?
Used to, simply because I was the only one who ever responded to anything, and my kitchen table playgroup were all timmies with horrible threat assessment.

But cockatrice doesn't enforce rules. It streamlines everything to communicate verbally rather than text.

>OP question
Land+crypt into trinisphere three games in a row

Can't wait for Shadows over Innistrad to leave Standard

green can also support sac-happy stax by generating tokens and tax-happy stax with better-than-average ramp. It's probably the weakest stax color overall (though blue doesn't offer much directly either) but you can still pull off G/x Stax if you want.

Monogreen? It's interesting and doubtful, but I'd be more doubtful if I weren't kind of halfway there with my Freyalise Control build though. Most of the Stax package is artifacts and Freyalise shits out tokens that are also mana sources to stay ahead of the awfulness while potentially blowing shit up or drawing cards. In the end, I think you'd blur the line between true Stax and just hate cards.dec, but it could be fun.

yeah i think green is fine as a support color for stax but as a mono color it doesnt work imo

>Theros Release Date- September 27, 2013
>Commander Banlist Update (Erayo, Rofellos, Braids)- September 2014

Well, fuck me up. Well played.

a bad green in the command zone is worth two greeds in the bush

*greed
fuck

>indestructible greed that kills lifegain

erebos is indeed "worse" than greed in a vacuum. however, erebos has a few bonus things going for him that can tip the scales in its favor. he stops lifegain and is indestructible, both of which can be good stuff depending on your meta.

erebos can also be put in the command zone, thus allowing you to essentially guarantee that you'll have a place to dump your mana and draw cards, which means you don't have to worry about drawing too much mana/ramp or drawing too little draw/gas.

so all in all, erebos is good in the command zone but maybe not quite as good in the 99. i'd run greed over erebos in the 99.

>playing with group
>random enters shop and buys some singles
>sits near us and kind of surveys the game while sleeving cards
>asks to play in next game
>"sure"
>plays r/w aurelia
>turn 6 he brings avacyn back from yard
>oh shit things are about to get spicy
>next turn he drops Armageddon
>our group kind of just look at each other
>"MLD, really"?
>yea lol do you all scoop?
>"no" path his avacyn
>he gets mad, starts bitching about how we are casuals
>asks to play again
>we to tell him no, we dont play with MLD
>he tells the shop owner and leaves
>we all laugh

MLD players are cancer.

Anyone know of some good sleeves and where I can get them? I've heard good things about the Ultra Pro Eclipse sleeves, but the red ones seem to be sold out and I can't find any of the others for MSRP.

matte dragon shields

Actually, you're the cancer in that situation. MLD is just another form of control and he actually had a plan for it unlike lolsorandumbfags who just blow up lands without a followup. If he hadn't played Avacyn he'd be a shitter. but instead it's just you guys being salty and refusing to let him play because you can't cope with his playstyle.

Matte Dragon Shields, though I haven't been able to find the Perfect Fits.

>spergs sperging at each other
Another peaceful day at the game shop and the world keeps spinning.

I ran quite a few decks, was just wondering how many universal staples had been introduced before I start delving through the past +1000 cards introduced.

What about combo MLD?

There are a few staples.

Do you have a ETB focused deck? pic related.

Do you have a storm/artifact/mana rock deck?
Check out Paradox Engine.

Dragon Shields. Don't have to be Matte but the mattes are mercifully less slippery

I really don't care for the Dragon Shield Perfect Fits.

nothing wrong with MLD
just things wrong with nerds
Nerds are cancer

DONT GET MATTE BLACK DRAGONSHIELDS THE NEW PRINTINGS ARE WORSE THAN ULTRA PRO QUALITY
OTHER COLORS/COMBINATIONS ARE FINE
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

MLD based Aurelia is probably the only decent deck in boros. He set up his win condition and used MLD for a huge benefit. You are the sperg in this situation excluding the path line.

>tfw completely ignored some threads ago
Suggestions please? ;_;
deckstats.net/decks/44776/661567-wort-

Post best forests

>path avacyn
>not coping

Pretty sure he got btfo and then got even madder when he was told he cant play. Nobody likes MLD.

They're both spergs. user shouldn't have sperged out about the MLD and the Aurelia guy shouldn't have sperged out about losing to the Path

>deckstats.net/decks/44776/661567-wort-
you have a decent amount of gobbos but you have almost no interaction

be prepared to go straight for the win or be a sitting duck

Shitty pic, but this one in 8th/9th edition.

This post makes me glad that I just build decks and don't play with anyone.

thats a good forest
I like the invasion era borders but there are so few decent forests let alone with that border

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-06-17-GYN-sidisi-reanimator/
I could use some suggestions/feedback

>Exclusively use black matte dragon shield sleeves

pls be lyin

im not
im in the process of trying to get a refund

I'm in the market or red and either green or blue a the moment, so I should be fine. I have plenty of black Hyper Matte KMCs from when they were good.

No, thin skinned, "let me play my dragons" autists don't like MLD.

I'm building Derevi right now. I already have a pretty miserable deck to play against (Teysa Edicts), so I'm wondering about fun things I can do. Bird/Wizard Tribal and flicker value seems like the route, rather than the typical stax build. Any suggestions?

I'm a sucker for Innistrad lands

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's no worse than counterspells or Stax. It's just another form of control via resource denial. It's pretty much the only way Boros can play control. If you know you're playing against MLD then pack answers against it. Any player worth their salt doesn't just crumple and die to it.

Theros reporting in with a beautiful sunset

First EDH deck so yeah, I was expecting something like that
The good thing is that all of us are new to the format so I can expect relatively low power

It's a good thing that our local Johnny doesn't like EDH and is still trying to make Tiny Leaders work in the store

>Playing my newly created Volrath deck
>One of my opponents is using an infinite life/infinite token combo deck
>I have Volrath out when his deck goes off
>During my turn I make Volrath Unblock-able
>Discard Draco
>mfw his face.

The rest of you just... can't see the forest for the trees.

you're running a lot of mediocre cards that have direct upgrades

coffin queen
magus of the bazaar
satyr wayfinder
doomed necromancer
darksteel ingot
dance of the dead
abandon hope

plus a lot of other stuff that is just veering on the edge of mediocrity and decentness

heres my sultai reanimator list ive been working on
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-bullshit-2/
how new are we talking? i got some black dragon sleeves at an european retailer about a month ago and they seem fine

also you're running 33 lands when you should be running like 38

theros has some damn good lands too

/Edhg/,
How do I effectively stop storm (abzan colors) or storm myself (not ur or mono g)? My meta went from sideways to graveyard sideways ti just graveyard to storm and desu I'm kinda lost. My hatebears (sadly no Tegg, I know) in karador just don't do it and I can just jam all the bears w/o having to win myself.
Meta is Mizzix, G!Selvala, and nekusar/meren.

For storming myself I basicly can't grasp the playstyle but slinging xx spells a turn seems fun, bringing back the nostalgia of oldschool tcgs. Can you recommend me something that would fit? Just not super crazy money wise even tho proxies are allowed (but they have to become real cards over time)

>local johnny trying to make tiny leaders work
I thought I was the only one

>how new are we talking?
picked them up last week from a brand new case from a high traffic store

>tapland that makes one color and dies to board wipes

>Calling Coffin Queen, Dance of the Dead, and Magus mediocre while running Ever After, Somberwald Sage

On the bright side, Green Sun's Zenith.

>goes infinite with Earthcraft

that's true, but I guess I'd rather use Green Sun's Zenith on something other than a land

You'll have to explain that one to me

Dryad Arbor isn't basic

Somberwald sage best waifu

>goes infinite with Earthcraft
Earthcraft can only untap basics, user.
And even if it could cause arbor to untap itself (as, you know, with an animated basic) I'm fairly certain that the result is infinite durdle unless you can trigger something when it becomes tapped or untapped..

Typically, yeah, you would want to. GSZ is usually best for pulling wincons or combo pieces, but a little bit of ramp when needed never hurts.

>Give us your story of plays and the massive salt they've caused
After dude casted doomsday and set off a combo planning to win with aetherflux reservoir and he had the smuggest look on his face I stifles his tower and he grabbed up shit shit and just walked out of the store
Also, another dude had avacyn as his commander and after making some dudes and such he dropped Avacyn and he casted Wrath of god "Alright in response Ill turn to frog Avacyn" He grabbed up his shit while telling me that its people like me why hes quitting

Never saw him again

i know it doesnt work but there if it was a basic you could turn it into hermit druid 2.0

>He grabbed up his shit while telling me that its people like me why hes quitting
I sincerely hope to file this under "shit that never happened"

Rule of law

Swear to god it happened

>this would be a cool combo if the rules were different so it worked

apparently youre not very good at evaluating value and dont understand why those cards are bad, so let me break it down for you

coffin queen costs 3 mana to drop. then it needs a turn to recover from summoning sickness. then, you need to pay an additional 3 mana to reanimate something. you've now paid 6 mana to reanimate one thing at a one turn delay. now, if your coffin queen still isn't dead, you'll either untap and exile your guy or sac it, and then tap coffin queen again to reanimate something. you've now paid 4.5 mana to reanimate 2 things with an immensely frail and slow creature that dies to even a whiff of interaction. the creature also does nothing for you if you need to reanimate something immediately.

meanwhile, Ever After immediately reanimates 2 creatures for 3 mana each. you can argue that the fact that costs 6 mana is bad but coffin queen is still slower than it is.

dance of the dead is a mediocre card for edh because it's a sorcery speed single-target reanimation that has additional shithead clauses, like the fact that it comes tapped and you need to pay extra bullshit mana to untap it. if you want a cheap way to reanimate creatures for ETBs and such, corpse dance, Footsteps of the Goryo, victimize, etc. are better

magus is weak for the same reason coffin queen is, it needs a turn before it can tap, and it doesn't provide card advantage. there are much better looter effects in sultai colors.

somberwald sage is also a super powerful card and the fact that youre calling it bad is baffling to me

>t.johnny
reeeeee get out this is the timmy format REEEEEEEE

>Footsteps of the Goryo
actually this card is kinda weak

necromancy is a direct upgrade though

>doesnt play lapse of certainty in avacyn
fag is better off playing another game

hands off, she's mine