Is Kingdom death monster worth the expense?

Is this really worth the $$$$?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1694918/magnetizing-kingdom-death-monster-survivors-primer
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do you like miniatures with big titties and skimpy clothing? Then yes. Otherwise buy another board game. You can get Gloomhaven for a fraction of the price.

>You can get Gloomhaven for a fraction of the price.
Well, half is technically a fraction.

I'd say it was a steal if you could get it for like $100 its original Ks run, and still a decent asking price at $200 the second go around, but $400 for just the base set is definitely not worth it. Just get Tabletop Simulator and download the mods for it.

Gloomhave is a better "RPG in a box", DungeonQuest is a better "random suffering simulator".
KDM is basically all tits and gonad monsters, it's hardly even a game.

I think so.
I would wait until the next Kickstarter/sale if possible though. Don't give a scalper the absurd amounts they want, if you can at all stand waiting.
It's a good game, but it's hard to justify even the 400$ msrp, let alone more than that.
Especially when tabletop simulator exists.

Also, most of the skimpy minis are pinups, ie. Optional minis that are separate from the main game.
Most of the core game minis aren't particularly sexy.

For a board game it's somewhat pricey but few games have nearly as comparable an amount of cards. Something like TI3 will run you $150+, for example but doesn't has maybe only half as much plastic and cardstock in the box.

For a miniatures game 400$ is actually more on the reasonable end, considering you get sprues to create 48 survivors and 7 large monster miniatures, plus hundreds of cards and such. I wouldn't call it a bargain but it is pretty much proportionate to other games on the market I feel if you consider how much is in there.

At the end of the day you could proxy any board-game with rocks and scrap paper, after all, and I'd say most of the money for this one goes into quality components.

>itt: salty poorfags

Emperor's new clothes.

Gloomhaven retails for $140 and you can grab it for $100 on sites like Gamnerdz. Meanwhile Kingdom Death is $400, not sold on discounters, and due to it never being in stock will probably go for much more as you have to buy the thing from scalpers.

There will be stock in the KD web store after backers get there copies from kickstarter 1.5. Best bet if you want it and missed the kickstarter , sign up for there newsletter to get an email when stock comes in

Gloomhaven also only has like 4 miniatures and uses paper cutouts for enemies. Probably the only board game I've seen that approaches about the same amount of plastic and cards in the box is TI3 and even then a few sprues of identical starships is not the same as 50+ miniatures.

I do agree the price point for KD is pretty excessive if all you want to do is play the game, but there's more of a modeling/painting hobby emphasis to it than a typical board-game.

>Is this really worth the $$$$?
Probably not worth what you'd pay for it now, no. It is pretty great, though. I got it with the original KS and still play it.

>KDM is basically all tits and gonad monsters, it's hardly even a game.
C'mon now. It's not the greatest adventure / town builder sim ever, but it's certainly well put together. There's enough depth there to support at least a couple full playthroughs, even without explansions.

>Most of the core game minis aren't particularly sexy.
Most of the core game minis are kinda gross.

>Most of the core game minis aren't particularly sexy.
Speak for yourself.

I don't understand why KD doesn't just put all the cards etc with papercraft models or something and sell much more accessibly.

It's called artificial scarcity. It can be very profitable for some operations, as in this case.

That feel when you have a Satan pledge

When it first came out, it had my group by the balls for about a year straight. The campaigns are long, a lot of shit can go so very right or wrong each session, and I also love the quality and design of the minis.

HOLY FUCK DID YOU MOTHERFUCKERS SEE THE GAMBLER CONCEPT ART??!!??!

WHAT IN THE FUCK? ORB FULL OF BODIES?! SOME TIME OF DEMONIC NAVEL?!

IT LOOKS FUCKING COOL IM HYPE AS FUCK

Demonic Navel? KD newfag? That will most definitely be a pussy made out of bodies

Legion is my favorite boss design from Castlevania, balls of damned flesh are really evocative. The pile of Gambler concept work in the update really tickles my pickle.

Homage to Atlas holding the world mixed up with that one Castlevania boss

Nope its not. Its a poor excuse to buy lods of naked minis. If you need this you are not mature enough for real life - go bluewhale yourself

>dodged

Tumblrinas still posting misinformation. Pin Ups aren't included in the base game , base game doesn't have nudity outside a couple tits in the rule book

yes

Tankred endures

Is Gloomhaven really a better game mechanically? I might get it.

I wouldn't say so. But I don't like scenarios because they're boring compared to a more fluid system.

It does the tested conservative approach right, a simple rehash of what was proven to work.
KD:M attempts more innovative approach, which might not sit with everyone.

Brofist.jpeg

What are you gonna do with the metric gorillion of plastic you are gonna receive from Poots?

Just thinking about the gambler's chest contents make me salivate.

Also the update made me hype a bit, the Gambler itself looks like is gonna be awesome.

I'm only even remotely interested in this whole franchise solely because of the models, because they are literally some of the best models in the entire world and I'm certainly gonna spend orders of magnitude more time painting than gamming.

If they replaced them with shitty papercrafts they can go fuck themselves. The game is just an addon for the models.

Lots of people seem to think otherwise though, and that rustles my jimbos a bit.

but why 84?

I'm mainly interested in this for the painting and collection aspect. How do these compare to, say, Toughest Girls in the Galaxy?

I didn't say replace m8. Just offer two tiers of product.

>Gloomhave
the monsters almost got me, but luckily I was a bit spent during the last kickstarter

Are you a really good painter?

Are you the kind of mug that pre-orders items that have no scarcity, like digital downloads?

Do you like wanking to Dark Souls fanart?

If so, yeah mate spend $400 on it and get bored after about two weeks.

Realistically , most of it will stay in the box on a shelf and slowly add to the game as time goes by. Hopefully will have atleast tried all the original expansions before new expansions begin to ship. The rest will have to wait until I find a China Cabinet or some shit for display purposes. Also need to step my painting game up before I really go to town on these models. It's always on the back of everyones mind but I doubt i will try to resell any of it

I dunno mang. I have the Base+SS and DK and that's been about 180 odd hours of gameplay so far with no real end in sight.
I dunno how many hours of boardgames you play with your friends but that's been a lot longer than 2 weeks.

84 pixels tall

>Do you like wanking to Dark Souls fanart?
Well, that depends...

amazing trap ahead

There is a guy in the KD update 56 comments asking if the Pathfinders crossover is included in his satans pledge. How do you go this long and spend that much money and not know what the fuck you pledged for?

2000 dollaridoos or whatever the Satan Pledge was isn't THAT much money if you're single and employed.

Part of the original gimmick for the game was creating interchangeable sprues so that you could mix and match different armour sets to reflect the appearance of character equipment in the actual game you're playing.

This results in the core set player models having somewhat limited posing though, unless you're handy with greenstuff, and during the actual game itself. The monsters are monopose though and are usually the biggest centrepieces.

Some modelers use rare earth magnets to magnetize the parts so you can freely swap them. Each sprue has the arms, legs, heads, and torsos to build 4 survivors and there's 8 different armour sets so expect a whole lot of drilling if you go down this route.

The Vibrant Lantern fansite has assembly instructions and tips for most of the models in the core set in-depth, so you can take a look there if you want to get an idea of the build.

>ome modelers use rare earth magnets to magnetize the parts so you can freely swap them.
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1694918/magnetizing-kingdom-death-monster-survivors-primer

I hope you have nimble fingers, plenty of free time and mental endurance. That came out dirtier than intended.

Sprue for Leather Armour (these are all from Vibrant Lantern)

Parts for a single player survivor

Finished miniature. Note that there's an additional 4 starting survivors that are monopose, designed for quick assembly so you can start playing with a minimum of assembly time, and then start building miniatures as you go through a campaign.

That would take me a month and a half to earn and that's if I don't spend anything at all during that time.

Yes and? You are basically paying Poots for 4 shipments worth $500 each over the course of 2 years. Or ~$80 per month.

Kickstarter has taught me that there are far too many retarded people in the world.

retarded and entitled , they put in 2000 out of 12 000 000 and think they are a major investor that should have all their whims and desires catered to

Why do you say that?

Well, buying first world premium goods on second world wage ain't easy, I imagine.

Ok it was a bad way to put it , even people who only put in 3-400 out of 12 000 000 want everything to be catered to them. The whole ringtail fox thing that so many people were crying about. We had i don't know how many updates in the last 2 hours of the campaign and people were still like "thats it? , I thought poots was going to go nuts at the end" Or how so many of them still think poots should open the Pm so they can continue to add at discounted prices when he can stock his store which people complain about as well. There is no making them happy, If I was poots I wouldn't reopen the Pm and sell it all at full price in his store, Also if i was poots I don't think i would ever plan on doing kickstarter again, he should of made enough of this to be able to do his KD thing for the rest of his life without whiny "investors"

Poots is bad at PR. This is a bad thing because he doesn't really communicate consistently with the customer base (though one might argue backers are technically not customers). But this is also good thing because he's impervious to community whining.

I own KD and all of the expansions, and I would say it is worth the price, if you have a good, consistent gaming group that will stick with you on it.

My group plays it too this day fairly consistently, as we set up different campaigns with different monsters/routes/ alternate starts and strats.

I could see the base game getting boring, if you only have the core monsters. I've ordered all the expansions of the 1.5 update, and my group is looking forward to another few years of entertainment from it.

Just trying to talk strictly about the game play structure, because everyone has their own quirks about the models.

There are always idiots in KS campaigns that forget they are technically "investors" rather than "customers." They will flood the comment section with inane demands, requests, questions, and accusations, and when reminded that they don't run the show and are neither special cases nor actual customers, they get extremely pissy and defensive.

I missed the first kickstarter and when I heard about the 1.5 Kickstarter dropping i finally made an account and jumped into backing KD 1.5 as my first. And this is an understatement , the vocal minority is cancer

>satan plebs
True fans got everything from the first KS and backed at the Gambler's Level this one.

Atlas holds the sky up, not the world. The world rests on Tartarus and Erebus, Old Fire and Old Dark.

I get this with my 777 pledge, right?

wait, you mean you didn't pirate the rulebook?

>Is this really worth the $$$$?
Short version: Yes The minis alone would retail for as much given their size, number, and quality. Then there's a (good, if niche-audience) game on top of that.

Longer version: Probably. $400 for the full price retail is a lot to ask for ANY game. but you should be able to pick it up on some sort of sale during either Gencon or Black Friday if you're really interested.

The game is really good; fuckwits like clearly haven't actually played the game since it's a LOT of game and NOT a lot of Tit/Gonad monsters, they're just what got the press (before record-breaking KS millions at least).

That said, the game is NOT for everyone. You have to embrace the kind of Dwarf Fortress "losing is fun, I take the RNG kicking me in the teeth when I'm down as a challenge" attitude at it because there are a lot of random elements, at least at the micro level, and they can be very punishing even if you DO know what you're doing. It's not the kind of random where strategy doesn't matter though, but rather the kind where you NEED a solid strategy to insulate against taking a few low blows or sudden, unavoidable character deaths (To speak of which... your Survivors are, ultimately, expendable; the game is about the settlement, not the individual)

La see da, I take it daddy got you a condo for your 19th birthday and fast-tracked you into a high pay position by 22

It is according to BGG.

BGG thinks Pandemic Legacy is the best game in existence, though, and has quite a few more questionable choices in its top ten. I'm fairly sure that, other than Cosmic Encounter not being at #1, it's a measure less of quality and more of Tom Vasel's Hype.

It was good back when Puerto Rico and then Twilight Struggle were both #1.
Fucking newfags.

We are in the golden age of tabletop gaming and in my lifetime I will see this hobby burn to the ground just like vidya. Already happening with larger companies buying out smaller ones that put games out with heart rather than being worried about the almighty dollar. Once something goes mainstream it all flows downhill

I was lucky enough to get in on the original Kickstarter.

Its one of my favorite games and even my non-gamer friends seem to enjoy it.

It can be a little lol-randum and really punishing, but that is part of the charm.

Excuse me for forgetting in the space of eight months a single detail of the shit I determined was worth my money.

>NOT for everyone. You have to embrace the kind of Dwarf Fortress "losing is fun, I take the RNG kicking me in the teeth when I'm down as a challenge" attitude at it because there are a lot of random elements, at least at the micro level, and they can be very punishing even if you DO know what you're doing. It's not the kind of random where strategy doesn't matter though, but rather the kind where you NEED a solid strategy to insulate against taking a few low blows or sudden, unavoidable character deaths (To speak of which... your Survivors are, ultimately, expendable; the game is about the settlement, not the individual)

Quality post. I agree whole-heartedly, and I'm also a long time tabletop miniature player as well as a veteran Dwarf Fortresser. Comparisons are spot on.

Whores are cheper and they actually suck your dick.
KoD is meme for any guy with a wife or gf.

It does have slightly better graphics though.

f.off

How does it feel living life from paycheck to paycheck?

poorfag/lazyfag butt hurt: the post.

And I thought people with money have better things to do then argue on Veeky Forums - unless we are dealing with cock sucking wannabees :D

But you are wrong.

People with money can afford to waste time on places like this, instead of working like a slave all day to be able to eat.

You wouldn't know.

>working like a slave all day to be able to eat
That's what grown ups do, dude. You will find out one day.

If you have a shit job, sure.

Man I work a fucking low level retail supervisor job and I still make enough to afford rent and buy warhammer. I only make about twice minimum wage in my area.

You just either buy small bits of things at a time or save up for bigger things (Like KD).

As long as you don't work more than 7-8 hours a day it's ok. Maybe 9-10 if you work for yourself as a freelancer.

If you are one of those that work for over 10 hours a day every day you failed at life, I don't care how much you earn, you only live to work, might as well end yourself now. Or you know look for another job that ives you more free time to live your life even if you don't earn as much. People's priorities are fucked nowadays.

>t. trust-fund neetfag

>neet
I earn $3500 a month working 7 hours a day Mon-Fri, try again.

>$400

No table top game is worth that much

The models are though.

The Gambler Concept is fine and all, but when can we get some solid release date for 1.5?

8 hours and 1,5 hours to eat.

Actually it's the cardboard what makes it expensive

It's a whole host of things but the biggest one is the molds of the models, printing is probably only second.

The cardboard is probably the biggest contributor to overhead (not startup, that would be the HIPS molds), but the miniatores are the component that would hold value best with the other elements removed or cheap-ized. I guarantee KDM with chits/tokens would do worse compared to price reduction than app-driven KDM, even if the latter would save more.

new to this: how can i keep up and get my hands on all the non-anime tiddy minis to paint?

If you're specifically about Kingdom Death the best value/cost comes from Black Friday sales and Chinese recasts (through quality may vary there).
If you mean general non-anime tiddy minis, there's always some coming from various small studios. Battlefield Berlin should have plenty.

yeah right now i'm mostly interested in some of the stuff i've seen from kingdom death. don't want to spread out too far when i'm only just branching out to painting miniatures. Is there one recommended place to buy KD from? Any limited minis that i'll have to shell out to scalpers for?

Im a poor collegefag looking to paint a few models. Whats a good place for decent recasts?