media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Are you hype for UA: Food and Provisions?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13411296
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gotta say, the man knows his audience.

Homosexuals?

Barbarian, Fighter, or Paladin?

Purely based on DPR - nothing else.

It'd be GWM/PAM Fighter, wouldn't it?

I mean, I'm sure some of them are.

Tumblr?

Why is scheduling 4 hours, one night a week so hard? If you can't commit to a timeslot, don't join. If you don't wanna play anymore, drop so they can replace you.

How many homosexuals play 5e?

What's the best hand crossbow build? What's the coolest?

If I put out a piece of work, and then say people will either like it or dislike it, am I prescient in your eyes? Because I've got some solid predictions for the stock market if that's the case, please send money and I'll invest it in your name.

>What's the best hand crossbow build
McCree fighter with crossbow expert and sharpshooter.

I know at least 2, including me. Well, bi.

There isn't really a thing as 'too much' or 'too little' HP. It depends on the damage of the creatures the party faces.

Also, if they're losing max HP, they're in danger of death at any rate, so they should probably hold back and retreat/defendthemself/whatever. If they die because 'oh look I have double HP!' then that's their loss when they get killed.

It does make certain things such as 'tough' more valuable, but I guess you just have to be a bit more careful. I'd make inspiring leader a half-feat and make tough a half-feat, and the possibility of upping constitution instead of your main stat is welcome.

My problem with the UA is that it's doing the opposite of what it should. We already had speedfactor as an option. Why not make a good, Initiativeless combat system ruleset instead?

I know this feel user. Been having games every other Saturday starting at 3, for two years, and yet there is still one guy that always has SOMETHING that makes him late to game.

>Sorry guys, had to deal with some bullshit.
>Dude, you had two weeks to schedule that bullshit for any other day but today.

Is healing from elemental damage a thing in 5e? Like if you have immunity to fire from class or race feature, and then you use investiture of fire, would that second instance of fire immunity allow you to heal from fire damage?

>Well, bi

That's just a fancy way of saying, "I'm actually straight, but I guess there could be a boy out there I'd bone, and being straight is kind of a filthy thing to be these days."

I don't know about homosexuals, but my entire party, including the DM, are fucking faggots.

Why is it that wizard has a better spell list, better archetype powers, a method of increasing spell slots per day that is way more effective AND is better at casting spells without preparation than a sorcerer?

Why even have this class if they're going to make it so bunk instead of just replacing it with warlock entirely, as it's already quite similar. The one trick sorcerer has with metamagic isn't even that good because all the options are either too expensive, suck ass or are quicken spell which exists for "I cast a regular spell and then an attack cantrip to do lots of damage" and nothing else.

I have a boyfriend.

>good, Initiativeless
probably because those words are opposites.

No.

McCree Fighter: Battle Master with CBE and SS. Any dex race works but vhuman gets there faster.

If you don't care for the capstone you can warlock or ranger or rogue whatever after 11-12th.

>+2 to dex and wis
>Flight
>no disadvantage on ranged weapons at long distance
That's OP

Faggot freak

I've cobbled together my own version, and my players prefer it to normal combat, judging by their behavior in game. and unsolicited comments.

Bi freak*

Fix'd

Well, the idea itself seems interesting, though I'd add Disadv on actions after hitting 0.

It's really weird to me when people come up with their own rules and then ask if they work. Like, it's not that they read an existing rule and are asking for clarification on it, they just make up something whole-cloth and go "Does this work?"

Of course it doesn't work.

Can you share? I'm interested.

well, without knowing what it is, if it involves players/monsters going in some sort of predetermined order, it's not really initiativeless.

The people who write the Plane Shift PDFs don't play D&D and don't care about balance, they'll put as many things onto a race as they feel they need to make it "accurate" to the original setting. You're better off ignoring them.

I thought about that, but it kinda feels like it'd detract from if someone wanted to make a heroic last stand but couldn't hit anything and it'd still encourage healers, especially paladins to go around using lay-on-hands to heal everyone 1 HP so that they don't have disadvantage. Rather, people should heal before they start losing HP or it'll hurt them in the long run.

The idea is your normal HP is standard fighting spirit and mettle where you don't take proper damage. Beyond that, you start to take physical damage but can otherwise function fine, and once you hit absolute 0 you can barely go on.

strawpoll.me/13411296

R8 my magic items. Party level 6. They have no other permanent magic items right now so I wanted to personalize things.

Claw of the Pouncing Tiger - TWF Barb - This claw allows you to cast ‘jump’ at will, but only targeting yourself. Additionally, on the first round of combat, you can make a leaping attack that triples your jump distance (you are still constrained by your movement speed for the turn). If this attack hits, it does an extra 2d6 piercing damage. Additionally, if the attack hits, and the target is one size larger than you or smaller, the target must succeed in an athletics contest or be knocked prone after your attack as you pounce onto them. Damage from this weapon counts as magical.

Brass Tassets of the Sonnlinor. - Life Cleric - These tassets can hold up to 3 charges, and gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering. As an action, you can expend one of these charges to cast calm emotions, prayer of healing, zone of truth, searing smite, meld into stone, or heat metal.

The Chains that Bind. - Chain Lock - When one is worn by both master and familiar, the master gains access to the ‘Voice of the Chain Master’ invocation, and can also cast ALL spells through their familiar, as long as they are within 100 feet of each other. The familiar must use its reaction to deliver the spell, and abides by all similar rules for delivering touch spells as per the ‘find familiar’ spell. Your familiar also learns the spell ‘Bestow Curse’, and can use it once per long rest.

Random question, does defensive duelist need a buff?

>The setting is my own creation. A tiefling run kingdom

Is it even worth it? I'm desperate for a party to play in, but I'm so sick of grimdark, edgy games.

That's Reaction to add +2AC against melee, right? Seems like it could use a tune-up.

I'm a DM of an adult group of 8 players. The number of players on our monthly session varies between 4 and 8. There will always be other apointments that are more important than D&D and that is completely okay, as long as the absence is communicated. The birthday party of your grand mother, visiting a friend in hospital, holidays, there are countless things

How dare people use their creativity to come with new interesting things.

It's add prof bonus to AC, which means it goes from meh to shield.

That's not even remotely what is being discussed.

Oh, proficiency! For some reason, I thought it was a flat +2. Yeah, that's better.

Right you fucks, I wanna play as M. Bison. Help me out with a build? Immortal Mystic. Should I dip into Monk for their unarmed damage, or just take tavern brawler?

>Brass Tassets of the Sonnlinor. - Life Cleric - These tassets can hold up to 3 charges, and gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering. As an action, you can expend one of these charges to cast calm emotions, prayer of healing, zone of truth, searing smite, meld into stone, or heat metal.
That! I love that. And by love I mean I will steal this idea from you!

Cliff note version:
>players act once each in a turn, but can do so in any order.
>battles have a hidden HP value, individual monsters do not. The number of monsters fluctuates with dramatic tension. One monster might leave or die, or other monsters might arrive to reinforce
>skill checks can be made, and if successful, reduce the battle's hidden HP value.
>Battle ends when either the maximum turns happens (defeat), or the players deplete it's Hidden HP value (victory). Narrative bonuses/penalties based on how well or poorly the players did.
>enemies act whenever is narratively appropriate, usually there is a response to every player action. Damage is assigned based on enemy actions, but should average out to a predetermined "damage per round" stat for the battle.
>if the monsters have special abilities included in their stat pages, they can use them normally.

The players don't realize what's going on behind the scenes. They just act whenever they want, and feel more free to do weird combined shit in combat.

Do these grimdark, edgy tieflings people talk about actually exist? Every tiefling I've ever seen played has been played like a normal human, nearly always Neutral or Neutral Good.

What happens when a level 20 Warlock, with a part of four to five other level 20 PC's, meets their Patron?

What is the ultimate fate of a Warlock? Do their souls go to their Patrons?

Can a Warlock kill his Patron and become his own Patron?

I'm a new DM and I just want to have an idea of how the relationship between Warlock and Patron goes aside from "this being gives you power." I know that in the PHB the relationship between Patron and Warlock can be as close as that of Cleric and God or so distant that the Patron may not even be aware of the Warlock.

Quicken spell should let you use 2 spells in the same turn. As it is now, it's just extra cantrip

Dude it's your world. Do what you want. Go wild.

Glad you like it! Here is my fluff text I removed for the sake of not making a giant post. Perfect, of course, for a dwarf cleric of Moradin.

The teachings of Moradin suggest that dwarves should be inventive, good natured, and co-exist harmoniously with other races, rejecting their tendencies to be prideful and isolationists. These modest tassets are made of incredibly strong brass forming 2 segmented plate sections on each leg. On the front of each segment they have stamped leather adorned with the anvil and flames of Moradin. They remind you of his teachings as you ceremoniously don them every morning.

I will tell you after next sunday. A player of the group I DM for was an edgy, lol-fuck-random halfling rogue. We really like the player, but there were sessions when we had to interrupt the game to clarify, that we had enough.

We've switched from 3.5e to 5e. Characters were simply adapted to the new rules. Except for this one player of course. He is now a tiefling rogue with arcane trickster subclass. When I mentioned, that he can do this, but this will be a new character with a new name and so on he started to argue.

I fear for the worst.

As opposed to shield, however, which stays the rest of the round, it only works against one attack. It's supposed to be decent on monks once you have max dex/wis but that takes ages so idk where it's even useful.

Ideally, they fuck.

I want to do things with wind. What's my build?

Wizard, fart themed, gas spells only.

That really is great. I just started DMing for 5e, therefore I'm a bit cautious about magical items. Especially because the game reduced the amount of those quite drastically. But maybe I should simply give it a go, my players aren't those who would completely abuse powerful magical items.

In this edition they have done away with nefarious deals and giving up your soul and such. You can still do that, but it's a fluff penalty that has no upside and IMO it just feels bad knowing my character will be fucked in the afterlife and never have a happy ending or whatever. They were originally intelligence casters, learning secrets and such but not directly draining energy from the patrons, so by that fluff killing their patron they may have a harder time leveling up but wouldn't lose their class levels or anything.
Many still go by the fluff that they're directly using of their patron's power though, in which case that doesn't work. Becoming your own patron would involve becoming a demon lord, GOO, archfey or whatever and isn't much more possible for a warlock than other classes.

First off, your players will almost certainky.not reach level 20, so don't worry about it. Even if the group is very stable and reliable, players get bored around level 13.

A warlock's relationship with a patron depends a lot on the patron, but you should make sure that it amounts to more than "nothing at all." It should come with obligations on the warlock's part, either services to the patron to hold up the warlock's end of the pact or precautions that must be observed so that the patron doesn't notice that the warlock is stealing spells from him. One of those two. A warlock who's dumb enough to kill his patron has bitten the hand that feeds him and needs to find somewhere else to get magic. Warlocks can't become their own patrons because they have no magic of their own to give away: all they have is either purchased or stolen.

This was the answer I was looking for. Thank you!

Oh, they definitely show up. CHA/INT translates to darkly handsome and calculating, and the Infernal Legacy spells are right up an edgelord's alley-make spooky things happen, drop some hellfire on enemies, throw down a shroud of darkness, all good stuff for them.

Way of Four Elements. Unfortunately, it sucks, but there's a homebrew fix.

This was very helpful, too! Thanks!

DMG says a level 20 warlock might eventually become a patron in his own right. Killing their patron would be a pretty good way to handle that, since it would bring in the whole party.

PHB overall portrays warlocks are being like scholars of forbidden lore in the Faustian sense who receive secrets and magical gifts from their patron and their own study. It's really up to you and your player though.

More or less the same for me. I am running SKT and the party has gone through the initial ramp up and is finally getting into the meat of the campaign. We are probably about 2 months in. The campaign does not hand out a lot of magic items at low level, but I want them to start feeling like they have something special. They are in a sandbox portion of the module right now, so I want each of them to feel like they had a memorable experience earning something in this section of the campaign. In the end, if you are homebrewing, you can have a lot of freedom as long as you dont make things grossly overpowered.

>PHB overall portrays warlocks are being like scholars of forbidden lore in the Faustian sense who receive secrets and magical gifts from their patron and their own study.
Why did people have to bitch and whine them into being Charisma casters?

at risk of tacking on boring extras, you might want to make the claw weapon +1 for that level of play. a lot of weapons around that level are +1 with a conditional extra effect like '+1d6 to undead' or something. making it deal magical damage somewhat circumvents this though, especially since your player is twf.

>gain one charge any time you perform a genuine act of compassion toward a non-dwarf race, or spend at least one hour performing an everyday dwarf physical labor such as mining, smithing, masonry, or engineering.
???

Storm Sorcerer, EE players guide has a few neat spells relating to wind.

Do you have a formula for calculating Battle HP relative to party level?

What is the maximum number of turns in a battle?

Note that the "nothing at all" is supposed to be reserved for the GOO specifically, since the entire point of them is to be unintelligible, and thus having set goals and whatnot would break that.

exactly what it says. encourages and rewards good roleplaying, and the character is proficient with a set of masons tools. he can easily say 'at the end of the day while we are setting up camp i whittle some stone' and get a charge.

I think Charisma works just as well for Intelligence for Warlocks. I like the idea of a Warlock needing the strong force of will to deal with his patron (or in the case of GOOlocks, not succumb to eldritch weirdness). The stronger their will, the better they are at casting spells.

The strongest argument against Cha that I can see is that there already are other Cha casters and only one Int caster.

Not exactly. A GOO patron is probably in the "stolen from" category rather than in the "purchased from" category. Though a few like Nyarlathotep would be more than happy to give commands to human followers.

The biggest argument for an Int-based warlock is that, as part of the pact, you'd need to have the know-how to make one and NOT be instantly screwed over...at least right away. Having Cha is nice for the talking bit, but when it comes down to brass tacks, being smart with the conditions is a lot more useful.

You can base it on the Custom Monster DMG guide. Take the CR of the encounter you want, and figure out how much HP a lone monster of that CR would have. This also gives you a good baseline for the damage per round.

Depends on the Patron. You could conceivably kill a Fiend or Archfey patron, but good fucking luck even scratching a GOO. That encounter would be
>Ok you see SHURBGNORTHLEFGHTGH THE STAR-RAPING SOUL-EXTINGUISHER.
>He says "hey how's it goin", but because you are looking directly at him you need to make a DC 35 WIS saving throw or have your brain turned to paste.

Hey /5eg/
Long story short, my PC's pissed off the city government of a "mildly" corrupt theocracy with priests in the nature domain.
They will be placing a hit on the party, particularly one member. What would be thematically appropriate to send after them? The city is a mega-oasis in a fuckhuge desert, so desert themes can also apply.

>Long story short, short: What kinda interesting assassins would corrupt nature clerics in the desert hire

Pam gwm pally, probs vengeance but oathbreaker is better if you DM allows it. Will be more squishy compared to a fighter cause of MAD.

Menscorpions?

Awakened sand worm

A sniper that jumps from roof to roof and runs off immediately after shooting once.

Failing that a group of them fire a volley and scamper off.

Fair enough.

>"Glreefolud the Slick of Black Blood, you've caught my eye ever since I was a wee Warlock."
>"And you too Jerry, slayer of Asmodeus, conquerer of the nine hells, and all around swell dude."
>"Now, I feel, is the time to take this pact to the next level..."

Thanks. I'll try this out for my next game.

Some rich theocrats could probably get their hands on some gnolls, turn them loose in the city where the PCs are staying. They'll probably eat some commoners, but hey, not like that matters. Plus, it provides cover for an Hashshashin to slip in among the chaos and murder the specific target.

There are some fun things in ToB like Accursed Defilers and Anubians that are perfect for deserts.

And I'm only at letter A.

>Mildly corrupt theocracy in the middle of a desert
Suicide bombers

Fuck, I should have thought of that.

Efreeti!

And of course what he said:

Maybe they send a pack of Bulettes after the party, or mark the member through a ritual/scent that attracts them.

>Sandshark/s ambush(es) the party and only slinks off towards the sand to try again once every half-hour if beaten back.

I actually think the UA is kinda cool. It's too crunchy for 5e, but it's a neat idea, and I could see it being used successfully in another system.

How does the Alert feat work in it though?

No, that's boring. They should awaken them instead.
>yfw bulettes use SWAT tactics to kill you

You see plenty of Homebrew for Classes, Archetypes, Races and Spells.

I've never seen one for additional weapon types.

Is it too much to ask for another Finesse Weapon to complete with Rapiers?

Bonuses and penalties to initiative stop happening entirely. Being surprised is still a thing, it just imposes a different kind of penalty. So part of Alert still works.

Check the third page under "Special Rules"
>If an effect would grant you a bonus to your initiative roll under the standard system, instead reduce the size of one die you roll for initiative, so that a d6 becomes a d4, a d4 becomes a d3, and so on.

Just go back to the playtests.

Dip into soulknife to become a protoss.

How about a scimitar or a (((k a t a n a)))? Both could be neat.
beat me to it