media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What famous settings that AREN'T D&D settings have you played D&D in?

Other urls found in this thread:

kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What famous settings that AREN'T D&D settings have you played D&D in?
New York City

Ravnica, eventually followed by Innistrad before the Plane Shift came out.

Modern New York, or a fantasy equivalent?
The main city in my campaign (fantasy Renaissance) has been modeled after Seattle, but isn't ACTUALLY Seattle. Then again, a few years ago we played in "actual" Seattle, except it was Steampunk, and included neighborhoods that flatly shouldn't have existed in that era.

Post-apocalyptic. It was just a silly one shot that one of my friends who doesn't normally DM ran. Wasn't bad.

How do you write the background of a character who is actually pretty amazing at stuff and is on some sort of quest because it's his fucking great destiny or whatever?

I usually just play as self interested characters who are just along for the ride because I don't like being THE CHOSEN ONE, but I've decided to play a Paladin for a change and I just can't write this shit without hating it.

HRE

Gensokyo.

Did you get to join a crusade against magical muslims?

Rate my spell book. Human Wizard 1, 16 Int.

Firebolt, Light, Prestidigitation.

Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Sleep.

Zendikar level 15 one-shot. Was unfortunately ruined by our group's That Guy.
Mission was to investigate an old ruin to return a Hedron artifact from it. First encounter outside the ruin were a shitload of Goblins and Bugbears our DM put there to let us mess around with, since he wanted to have something for everyone to use their character on (this one meant for our Barbarian to easily slaughter shit and my Bard to use his entire spell list full of psychic spells on). The other fucker, however, decided to play a Bladelock (obviously with a scythe), ran into the middle of all of them turn 1, cast Circle of Death, killed every single enemy except for 1 bugbear and stole several hundred HP from them, which meant he was ultimately able to just face-tank the Beholder/Eldrazi final boss and everything before it, meaning everyone had just about every spell slot and feat left to just shit out on the boss and killing it before it got its second turn.

Honestly, you don't. D&D is a group-based game. You're NOT the chosen one.

Keep it in the last thread. I'm the one who posted the 2e pictures, but we don't want to become /pfg/, do we?

Hermit Background, ask the DM what you know.

Congrats, you now have dangerous knowledge, and the powers of evil will try to stop you.

We're not autistic like they are, not all of us, and Planescape art should be shared.

Kingdom Hearts, I don't even like this shit, but the game was fun

>Honestly, you don't. D&D is a group-based game. You're NOT the chosen one.
Maybe play him as some guy who misunderstood some prophecy and believes he is the "chosen one" or whatever, but is really just some stronger-than-average schlub

>ruined
I fail to see any problem with anything that happened here.

What was that like?

I guess slightly related, but also a question....

Has anyone ever played/run a D&D game on a ringworld/dyson ring? I have a desire to run one, but I don't know if players would find it literally too linear.

You'd have to have a group willing to put up with a character who keeps trying to be the center of attention. Could be fun with the right group, but completely horrible with other groups.

Let's be honest, they'd be too busy fighting each other.

Try Chosen One"s". Your Paladin knows there are others whom heard the calling but its not quite special snowflake, but still important and rare.

Well Sigil is offical but the scale is a tad diffrent...

There was no challenge left in any of the other encounters because he literally just stood in the way of things and could eat every damage dealt to him, barely anyone else actually got around to using spell slots because there was no further tactic involved, every illusion and many necromancy spell we had in our party were mostly obsolete since that encounter was to use those for while most of the enemies inside the ruins were golems and it generally just wasn't a ton of fun for most of us to play our chars since it made our tanky Cleric feel pointless as a tank, cancelled out any chance to really properly use utility spells, shortened the one-shot by over an hour and also made all other AOE spells far less useful because the AOE encounter was cleared in a single cast with nobody else actually even doing so much as shooting a cantrip or an arrow.

Currently running one on a donut/toroid. I am debating about sending the OCs to the "Night Lands", where the sun doesn't shine as often and the gravity is higher.

>no witch bolt
It's trash

Missing grease/10

Unless you really play up the scifi, it won't be that different from any other game. My setting is on the outside of a ring-shaped planet, and the only real (non-story) impact is that you can fall off the edge. And also there are THINGS living on the other side.

Well, perhaps next time actually read the rules on temporary hit points. (Hint: they don't stack)

>Modern New York, or a fantasy equivalent?

I would love to develop a "not-New York" fantasy city for my setting.

Large central island where the main business, shipping, trade, and cultural districts are, as well as the royal palace and governmental district. The palace and government district in roughly in the same area as Central Park.

The rest of the city spread across a few more islands and the mainland.

> they'd be too busy fighting each other.
Sorta. Guelfs and ghibellines, add demons+devils, decadent mages' organization (3.5), also powerful dark clerics.

You're right. Witch bolt is trash.

How is Out of the Abyss, guys?

Looks cool, but I have a special spot for Chromatic Orb because it's versatile, although it costs 50 gp once.

You should absolutely, 100% do this. It should be harrowing and leave them forever changed by the experience.

As I said, I have a "not-Seattle," and everything in the city corresponds to Seattle's real-world geography.
For example, the Catholic graveyard is replaced by a church of the Raven Queen, UW is replaced by "The Academy," and Magnolia is the Noble District.

16 years ago, somebody crashed spelljammers into the Twin Ziggurats, destroying them

Decent. Much better than Tyranny of Dragons, not that it means much

You get to cast it an indefinite number of times for one spell slot, essentially. It's definitely a useful spell to have around.

Yeah, I know what a cantrip is. There are better choices.

>9/11
>a joke

Never joke about that with a New Yorker.

It may be 16 years later, but it's still a touchy subject.

It's good at low levels for getting a lot of use out of a single spell slot.

Boutta start a new campaign as a revised ranger beastmaster (w/ crossbows) and a pet giant goat.

Never played a ranger before, and I've not played much 5e either. How should I maximize my combat effectiveness? What combat roles do I have aside from 'shoot thing' and 'pet offtanks'?

Fuck off.

In Storm King's, what fly speed do you get from the pixie dust?

I thought new yorkers had a reputation for being tough. Maybe you pussies should get over it.

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is With Bolt Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Spell Like Nigga Hit The Wizard Haha

New Yorker here:

You're a faggot.

There's a few spells that can contribute to battlefield control. Ensnaring Strike, Silence. Conjure Animals/Woodland Beings can give you a nice numbers advantage.

Don't rely on your pet to 'off-tank' all the time, especially a goat. Even revised ranger pets can be squishy against the right enemies.

It's literally FREE damage!

How many Mephits are too many Mephits for a level 3 encounter with 3 or 4 players?

Are 6 still fine or too many or too weak? Everyone of them has pretty fucking good stats.

Use a CR calculator.

kobold.club/fight
There you go.

Which classes work best with grave clerics?
Paladins and Rogues?

Call me names all you want.

It's disrespectful to joke about.

Is a good idea to give a class 1 temporary hit point per level that recover at the end of a short or long rest? Or would that cause many problems and would be better to just give it normal hit point?

>It's disrespectful to joke about.
welcome to Veeky Forums, friend.

kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
Kobold Club says 6 CR 1/4 or 4 CR 1/2 are Medium.
6 CR 1/2 are Hard.

Gee sorry I didn't see that we were on reddit/r/newyork sorry bud, I thought we were on Veeky Forums.

It's also disrespectful to censor people on an anonymous website, you whiny piece of shit.

>1 temporary hit point per level
Fiend Warlock gets Level + Charisma modifier (d8 hit die)

>would be better to just give it normal hit point?
Draconic Sorcerer gets +1 HP per class level (d6 hit die)

I understand, m8. My dad was one of the first people who died on 9/11. I'll never forget his final words to me.

"Son, I am disappoint."

I would say that making them temporary hp would be pointless. Most parties I've been in just short-rest after every combat/dungeon they go through.

"Son, stop talking to autists on the internet."

I understand, I was one of the first to die in 9/11.

It would interfere with things like inspiring leader or heroism and it'd be too much faff.
Just give them +1 hp/level.

You have literally no idea what "censor" means, do you? Next you'll be telling me your First Amendment rights are being violated?
Fucking snowflakes.

Calm down, m8. He misspelled "censure"

"Son, are you a fag?"

Our frontline tank is a sword-n-board paladin, so I'm not too worried.

I worry about damage output using a crossbow and only having 1 attack action per turn. I know the pet is supposed to supplement the extra attack, and the 3rd attack with proper positioning. Does the damage stack up with other big damage dealing classes?

You also have literally no idea what "snowflakes" means, faggot

I'm in the middle of what is basically shadowrun but run with 5eDnD rules. Also I'm thinking of doing something similar for the next campaign, but set in a different historical period.

Basically, magic was gone, but comes back in XXXX year. I thought ww1 would be neat, but one of my players suggested the Gold Rush would also be cool, and I have to agree with him.

Crossbow are the best range weapon, you be fine.

>My feelings are hurt
>That means I'm being TARGETTED
Nope, pretty damn snowflakey.

These would all be pretty cool. The question is, how do you balance modern weapons with the rest of the game's options? Or do you just throw them in and let the balance sort itself out?

That's not what it mean, nice try.

Thank you very much.

Appreciate the response. I literally had no idea Sigil was a thing.

So one of my players has been working with me on something for his hermit discovery. He went wild mage sorcerer and to continue the luck stuff the class has, wants a coin that determines whether someone is lucky or unlucky, And then for something super mundane to happen. I basically have a small 1-20 table for both sides, and every other level the dice size I roll will get bigger. Currently the stuff that happens is things like "this food tastes better than you expected" and "you notice a silver coin on the ground" or bad luck being things like "you stub your toe (no damage) and it hurts a bit" and "the sun glares in your eyes and it's kind of annoying" - what are some other things I can add?

For combat effectiveness, crossbow expert + sharpshooter on hand crossbows works best, and if you want to go beyond being a shitty dex fighter with spellcasting you should (aside from using the revised ranger) probably go hunter and get horde breaker + volley for as many attacks in an AoE as possible. You can choose to use heavy crossbows instead at level 11.

How do I keep playing a female that's a stupid asshole bullying people and acting like a stereotypical high-school jock spending most of her days drunk while flirting with every decent looking dude she comes across in the most direct and shameless way fun for the party in the long-run?

By stupid asshole I mean that she is an actual straight idiot sitting at 8 Intelligence and Wisdom that jumps into and provokes fights over misunderstanding even the most innocent of jokes directed at her or when somebody makes her feel stupid or looks at her in a weird way.

Pick up Manual of the Planes or its equivalent from any edition. You'd get some cool ideas for planar geometry.

I have some food-themed magic items. Can anyone tell me how bad they are? Are they even interesting?

>Teapot of the Wia'Ja Acolytes
A delicate ceramic teapot shaped like an elephant used to bolster defenses from the elements. During a short rest, you can brew a pot of tea that offers resilience to certain damage types. While making the tea, choose two damage types: fire, cold, lightning, or poison. You and up to 3 other people may drink this tea and are granted advantage on saving throws against damage from any magical or non-magical means with those damage types. Characters effected by the tea lose their resilience after 8 hours, or if they drink more of this tea.

>Out of This World Sugar Cube
A small, pitch back 1" cube with white specs, that held at the right angle appears to be the night sky. The sugar cube has a delightful sweet smell. During a long rest adding one grain of this sugar with enough food goods (50gp worth), you can create a small sweet morsel that doesn’t spoil. When a creature consumes the it, their words become smooth and as sweet as the delicacy itself for one hour. They can be understood by anyone they speak too, and they gain advantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks for the duration.

>The Tyrant King’s Salt Shaker
This salt shaker is plain and made of glass with a silver cap. The salt inside has been enchanted to turn a bright pink if sprinkled over food or drink that is poisoned or spoiled. No matter how much is used, it always tastes like "just the right amount" of salt.

How do I build wu jen/wizard?

So for my Alchemist, I'm trying to let him build inventions and whatnot.

He came up with the idea for a not-grenade launcher for this alchemical fire and acid. Sadly, those take an action and expire if not used by the end of the turn.

Would it really be so broken as to say, "no, fuck that, they stay until used"?

Kill her, if she's stupid enough to provoke everything that move, just give her something that is guaranteed to kill her, actions have consequences.

>Does the damage stack up with other big damage dealing classes?

No, not really. Especially not with a goat as your pet.

Rangers are great utility and have really useful out-of-combat features in the right situations. Pick a suitable Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer for huge bonuses that can give you a lot of information.

I'm pretty sure you just described exactly how you'd play her.
Whether or not it would be fun for any group in the long-run is a different question...
I also fail to see how being female has literally anything to do with the character concept

you don't

Seem cool. The salt might need some rewording or just clarification, though, since sprinkling it into a colored drink would probably dissolve it and make it impossible to tell unless a ton is used. Maybe just clarify that it changes the drinks color or emits some pink steam/smoke/gas when dissolving to make it more universally useful.

No
You should be able to actually make something in a crafting based class instead of having !notcantrips

>8 Wis or Int means you're a slavering moron meme

So far I've been throwing them in and letting the players sort it out. It hasn't proven to be too big of an issue this campaign. I don't really know how to balance them in a way that would appeal to everyone though, since there are significant realism issues if you make firearms "balanced" with melee weapons.

It's not too relevant to the "dumbass bully" character type, just figured I'd mention it for completion's sake.
I could make up some overly complex backstory about her hardships of being a Triton girl working on a pirate ship in her teenage years and early 20s and how she either had to fuck her way up the ranks to earn respect or fight her way up but I honestly just felt like playing a female character and found the concept of a short fish-head girl stirring up shit all the time and getting mad at random peasants for not finding her attractive or thinking she looks odd amusing.

Is swashbuckler rouge the best way to play a pirate character?

Yeah that's the problem with modern games, isn't it? 8 is the lowest you can get with PB or SA, and anything that's a negative is treated by modern gamers as the worst thing ever.

Quick question, as a paladin, I can cast magic using a holy symbol attached to my shield while I have a weapon drawn in my other hand, right?

Not really. Swashbuckler rogues are all about stabbing someone really hard and then hiding.
You wanna play a traditional pirate, you should play a fighter with the sailor background.

' ' ' Fuck ' ' '

No?
I mean it depends what you're going for but pirate is a profession, not a "class" per se. Really other than picking Sailor or the Pirate variant, sky's the limit.
I think the only thing really expected of a pirate is not to wear more than light armor so you don't sink if you fall off your boat?

So what is the extend that Transmutation and Illusion Wizards can go to with their bullshit?

I always imagined both archetypes having a ton of creative freedom to go about things and solve problems in and out of combat but never got to play one or looked too deep into what they can do. My main Wizard does make a ton of use of Polymorph, though, and solves almost all of his problems with it.
Nothing quite as good as turning a big bad foe into a rain worm, shoving it into your bag for an hour and then dumping it off somewhere else or waiting for backup and everyone to be fully healed and ready again.