What does a tacticool knight look like?

What does a tacticool knight look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parade_Armour_of_Henry_II_of_France
lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
youtube.com/watch?v=gHElz7StCJM)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you're looking for modern knights, WW1 pilots were sometimes referred to as knights of the sky. (Many of them were literally knights as well, in Germany or England).

If you want a foot soldier knight in a realistic modern, then probably something like a US soldier kitted out in experimental gear

I recently went to a large exhibit of medieval and renaissance armaments at the Art Institute in Chicago. Great museum, great stuff.

It turns out that dumb overcomplicated weapons were a whole thing. Cane with a pistol in it, shield with some knives, knife with two shitty little pistols and a punching spike. They were never used in battle, really. According to the museum, they were for having in your collection to impress guests.

>What does a tacticool knight look like?

Maybe I don't know what tacticool means entirely, but that knight from Goblin Slayer- the one wot slayers all the goblins is pretty tactical and could as well be considered 'cool'.

Tacticool is the opposite of tactical or cool. Think bayonet lugs on a pistol or a scope mount on a shotgun, features added because they increase the feature list with no attention to practicality.

Parade armor is what op's looking for. Start with en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parade_Armour_of_Henry_II_of_France

I don't care what any of you pretentious faggots think, these things are the tits.

>finger in trigger
>gun almost pointed to face
>airshit
>no gucci gear
0/tacticool, would not operate with

pic related, top gi result

"tacticool" and "mall ninja" are synonyms.
lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
It basically means being dumb and not understanding how actual combat occurs, or how operators operate.

As for applying it to knights, I don't think it's parade armor, because parade armor is not meant for battlefield use. If we have knights shit for it, we would need to give every military that issues berets shit, even though no one actually wears them in combat, so the shit doesn't stick because we're being dumb.

I'm inclined to say that armor spikes and excessive pauldrons (pic) are my go-to "looks cool but actively harms your ability to fight" indications, which gets close to the meaning of tacticool.
Dumb shields and weapons would be part of it too.

Unsurprisingly, tacticool doesn't translate well to fantasy, since a "tactical appearance" is a very modern idea, that of the last 30 years at most.

Wouldn't it just be the dude wearing the latest bit of kit before it catches on? I bet the first knight who wore a bevor was a twat.

>It basically means being dumb and not understanding how actual combat occurs, or how operators operate.

So basically, all of the armour from any fantasy or sci-fi setting ever?

Fantasy can do armor right, it's just that your typical deviantart-tier autist who gets a job (if that even) at some game company doesn't know a thing about armor, and doesn't care anyway.

Again, pic. Same source as the first, and although it's not a European design, it is something that did exist and did work, and work well. Add shields and you have some pretty decent 11th century men at arms.
>captcha: chain up
Huh.

I know what you're getting at (pic), but I should also mention that the armor and helmets in were about 1500s or so (I may be off on the armor, details in youtube.com/watch?v=gHElz7StCJM)

>muh realism
kys

Behind every good knight is an even better caster.

I always read 'kys' as being pronounced the same as 'kiss'.

It makes people sound dumb, and can completely change the tone of a post.

Try it at home!

Failing to understand how armor works, while still obsessing over it, is a sure sign of a wanna-be knight, or the "historical" equivalent of a tacticool mall ninja.

>autism
I have become more autistic than you could possibly imagine.

Finding reasonable-resolution images of Emberverse cover art is immensely frustrating.

Considering they have those attachments that let you hold pistols in one hand by strapping them to your forearm I wonder how such a set-up would work with a shield.

I don't understand what you're asking.
You're referring to the magpul harness in your picture, correct? Calling it "those attachments that let you hold pistols in one hand" Can't you already do this?

What I don't understand is what you mean by "how this set-up [which setup?] would work with a shield"
Do you mean strapping a shield to your arm?
Or putting a gunshield on the rifle strapped to the arm?
I don't follow at all.

I just put in arm brace and it came up but I'll break it down

Have gun with armbrace (or magpull harness if you will), attach shield to arm with the gun like in the pic I was replying to with soldier knight girl

so shield, gun, shield-gun

Thank god, i thought it was just me who heard it that way.
So glad that I'm not alone in this

Ah.
So the problem is that, even a bayonet at the end of a rifle is enough to throw the weight off and make it harder to shoot accurately. Putting a strike plate on like that would lead to the same inaccuracy.

A bayonet can at least be justified because, if you're close enough to use it, you're well under 100m.

In strictly fantasy/medieval terms? Lots of weapons, lots of pouches, lots of straps. Just like a modern mall ninja

In sci-fantasy or sci-fi terms... doesn;t 40k come close?

Only thing that doesn't fit is the alignment and morality. But essentially this.

40k is some degree of gothic. It has its adornments for symbolic reasons rather than any misguided sense of what is useful.

There's also the "we are the Emperor's finest, and we have the best gear" angle as well.

A defining aspect of tacticool is an abundance of pouches and Astartes have no pouches.

Those new Reivers do

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD

>ctrl+f racing stripes
>0 results
I'm deeply disappointed in y'all

oh, pft, duh how did I not think of this before

INFINITY

Scouts have had them.
Personally, I would have pointed to the useless rail and questionable optics on the bolt rifle. I guess we're getting double alignment and the detail necessary to for this to be clear isn't possible at that scale.

Personally, I don't think 40k is tacticool, pouches or not. It has the wrong aesthetic just from being a miniatures game. It has smooth surfaces unmarred by belts or pouches or fabrics, just because it's not possible at that scale.

Saw that the first week it opened, really fucking awesome.

Fuck me, there was this one book cover with a sci-fi knight that looked baller as fuck that I'm sure the OP would like but now I've lost it, does anyone have the pic? I think it might've been a ruskie book, or at least it was something in slav runes.

This nigga

>Two handed rifle
>Shield
>No means to brace or secure the weapon in second hand
>Should have a belt-fed, high caliber revolver.

Pathfinder art is pretty tacticool

exhibit B

>I'm inclined to say that armor spikes and excessive pauldrons (pic) are my go-to "looks cool but actively harms your ability to fight" indications, which gets close to the meaning of tacticool.
>Dumb shields and weapons would be part of it too.
So Warcraft.

>Mirrored shield to deflect most forms of unaligned magic
>Shield and armor have grounded cables running to the floor to shrug off electric attacks
>Thermal underlay to armor to prevent freezing
>Metallic component is heat resistant
>Regular longsword is split split down the blade, one side is made for mundane the other for supernatural
>Trained to be self sufficient or operate in small groups for prolonged campaigns
>Trained to think, act and improvise
>Helm is telepathically linked to several of its kind
>Gauntlets conceal short-range projectile
>Boots can be studded for improved grip
>Armor is lightweight and easily concealable under robes
>Several fake Houses/Merchant Guilds/Tribes/groups established to provide cover stories and reasonable background checks
>Taught low level mages cantrips and spells such as darkvsion

>Mass Production
>Imperial Guard Use
>Semi-Autonomous
>Power Armor

I hate this dumb thing.
It's like giving the Primaris drugs to Guardsmen. It's so out of place in the setting, but it and the illustrator see nothing wrong with it.

>Bullpup swords with hilt and cross-guard more than 2/3's the way up the blade.

Neat. What's it from?

Isn't that just a glaive? Come to think of it, "polearm with excessive number of pointy bits" might be the medieval equivalent of "rifle with excessive number of tactical attachments."

Congratulations, Witchhunters are now in my campaign

>The majority of the blade is behind the cross-guard

I can only such stalwart, noble defenders of of our race and nation are sanctioned by the Church and given a Carte Blanche.

>belt fed revolver

>official grendal artwork
>no brick
0/19

Like this

>>Should have a belt-fed, high caliber revolver.

Ok, pay up motherfucker.

Alternatively, if that doesn't tickle your pickle.

I'll add a couple of examples.

A lot of the Pathfinder designs are busy as shit.

It's kind of a quirk of their primary artist. Wayne Reynolds (I think that's his name) tends to use a lot of hard angles and his art is usually pretty busy and full of miscellaneous stuff.

>Wayne Reynolds
That's the one. He's done lots of work for MtG as well.
All the details and business works because of how strong his poses are.