D&D/Pathfinder Miniatures Thread

What are some essential miniatures that Veeky Forums would recommend? What are some miniatures that could stand in for multiple monsters?

Already have:
>Goblins x7
>Kobold x6
>Orc x6
>Spider x3
>Ettin x1
>Gnoll x8
>Green Hag x3
>Lizard Folk Fighter x4
>Roper x1
>Troll x2
>Wraith x3
>Terror Wight x4
>Bugbear x6
>Mesmalatu (Demilich/Flaming Skull) x1
>Ghast x3
>Human Wizard x1
>Bandit x4
>Dwarf Soldier x1
>Delver Sergeant x4
>Champion of Dol Dorn x1
>Whatever is in Wrath of Ashardalon Game

I know I need skeletons but what are some other essentials/interesting minis to keep a campaign interesting? I will be DMing 5e for the first time for a new group and wanted some cool minis to use.

Bonus Question (since I can't find an answer anywhere online) generally how long does it take to go 1-10 in D&D? How about 1-5?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Vs4SfcwE
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9wKLjixK7DHd3pMZk92Z2xhdVk
arcknight.squarespace.com/shop/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Stand in for multiple monsters meaning, I could use my kobolds as lesser lizardfolk,a lizardfolk shaman, imps, stirges...etc

personally, i use bottlecaps with printed portrait tokens glued to them. Costs next to nothing, and i can have any monster/pc/npc i want without needing stand ins

I judge which minis to get by how cheaply they can be found online in vast quantities. I collect the following:

Hammerer
Guard of Mithral Hall
Howling Orc, Orc Mauler, any other cool-looking orcs that you can get for $2 or less
Dekanter Goblin
Carnage Demon
Ibixian
Abyssal Skulker
Medusa Archer
whatever else happens to be crazy cheap on ebay or Troll & Toad.

If you want to spend a little extra to get something memorable, I really like the new Gelatinous Cube that you can open up and stick a mini inside. Your cheapest option for getting a huge-sized dragon is probably one of those Pathfinder dragon evolution box sets. Your cheapest option for getting any kind of huge-sized mini is a Fomorian. Never buy dragonborn - the price is crazy high for some reason. Instead buy half-dragons and dragonspawn from War of the Dragon Queen and call them dragonborn.

I've found it can take up to a year meeting weekly to get to level 10. Level 5 takes much less, maybe only a month or two, because getting from 1 to 2 takes one session and getting from 2 to 3 takes one or two sessions.

you need some rats and at least 1 dragon

I've got over 200 miniatures. Here's the list: pastebin.com/Vs4SfcwE

It's a few weeks old though and I've acquired a couple dozen since then. Been collecting for about ten years now. Just got eight gnoll minis in the mail from eBay. 2-3 dollars a pop seems to be fairly good price, though I've spent more on some that I really wanted.

I've started designing my D&D world around what miniatures I have. That is, I try to restrict myself mostly to creatures I've got the minis for, at least as common foes. That means there are only 4-5 kinds of monster for "random encounters" and I feel like it gives the world a bit more character while not having to go outside the generic fantasy framework I most enjoy.

As an addendum, my opinion on "necessary minis" is: at least one sword/shield fighter, at least one two-handed-sword fighter, at least one twinblade fighter, at least one archer, at least one wizard and hopefully at least one clerical type mini, a couple rogue-ish type ones, a halfling or two (can be subbed in for gnomes), a smattering of orcs and goblins which can work for other bestial humanoids, a couple ogre-sized miniatures and a couple other large minis like dire wolves to represent quadrapedal large-size opponents. For huge or bigger, the minis get expensive, so I'd avoid them.

Go back in time and get the first Reaper Bones set on Kickstarter.

Alternatively,

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9wKLjixK7DHd3pMZk92Z2xhdVk

>Abyssal Skulker
Muh nigga. I bought eight of these and used them for a post-apocalyptic game as "demon wolves" and they became one of my favorite monsters to use.

Miniatures are good...but you can just use skittles or m&ms and show a picture of what each m&M or Skittle actually looks like(art) and once the monster dies,,,you can eat it.

post lamia

So would my minis and maybe a few more essentials be able to take the PCs to 10?

Every monster that appears in Final Fantasy 1.

Have about 30+ of these guys. They are great stand-in minions types. The (Mostly) white color and shape make them not detract from your other minis or player minis, so I think they are the GO TO for just about anything, that isn;t a PC or BBEG.

Generally they are representative of most medium sized monsters. Orcs, Lizard, Kobolds, biped is good even for just normal humans.

What are those metal knights from?

Perry Miniatures and the crusaders are Deus Vult from Fireforge

Neat.

I'm using flat plastic miniatures for easy transportation's sake... is... is that bad?

Nah dude, they look awesome

Not at all

Do you make them yourself? if so, how?

Not him but they are sold like that, they're called Flat Plastic Miniatures. arcknight.squarespace.com/shop/

Thats a pretty cool alternative instead of shilling out 70 bucks this summer for two handfuls of minis

I'm OP, do what I did man, buy the board games (I just bought Wrath of Ashardalon) but when broken down by price, it's about $1 for each mini and there are 40 or 41. You get stuff like a giant dragon, an ottyugh, a drake, a bunch of little mobs and stuff, it's great. They have a few board games with different minis but it's pretty cheap compared to the alternative to get a sizable collection going.

I guess that is an option, would also allow me to craft a campaign along the same settings of the board games in the future

great tip, cheers! was planning to order internationally through reapermini for about 70 bucks of minis, right now which would total me at around 32 mini's for €61.20

I've never used reaper but if you're going for the bones, just know that they ARE flimsy plastic, not great quality. You would be set if you dropped $120 and got Castle Ravenloft (undead and beasts) Legend of Drizzt (Goblins/Trolls/Underdark) and Wrath of Ashardalon (Traditional Monsters). That's 120 minis for $1 each and you get player characters.

fug just checked, they're like €60-65 where I live, which would set me at around 1,54 per mini. Still way cheaper though

anyone know of an european cheap alternative for mini's and/or board games? starting to get annoyed by the constant free shipping, but only to find out its only for US

Sorry man, I'm in the states but you can always have an user buy them and mail them to ya

perhaps I should invest in a 3d printer after all