Does your setting have Celebrity adventurers?

Does your setting have Celebrity adventurers?

Other urls found in this thread:

theonion.com/article/archaeologist-tired-of-unearthing-unspeakable-anci-1448
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I never thought of that, that's a great idea.

But what kind of personalities could a celebrity adventurer be expected to have?

Yes. Famous and infamous souls, be they heroes of a grand quest or the dreary battlefield, often treated as living legend and in some cases cut down by ambitious bandits or upstart duelists looking to make a name for themselves. Some of them really manage to live up to their own hype though and are nothing at all to sneeze at. Those are the ones that live long enough to tell tales of past exploits to little ones gathered near the fire.

Actually yes. Famous adventurers are great for nation propaganda.

Depends. Some would embrace the fame, some would reject it.

Ridiculously over the top, and probably over the hill too.

May have trouble separating their own hype from what actually happened.

They need to have good hooks and a sense pf practical fasion. A celeb in my setting is a Female Half-elf with snow white hair who uses nothing but a sword and shield, wears chainmail and cloth armour and also travels with her dog named Knicknack.

I'm a big fan of the playboy adventurer that might not be quite as powerful as he claims to the local girls, but is certainly much stronger than the average fighter. The only thing bigger than his legend is his ego, as he travels from city to city, living off the hospitality of various hosts and typically overstaying his welcome.

Any experienced adventurers tend to know each other sort of like the Martial World in most Wuxia films, sort of like an unofficial nation-wide (and sometimes global) community.

Kind of like pic related, I guess? Everyone at the guild in that story who is anyone knows immediately who he is, whether or not they respect what he does.

I hate this manga, but the premise is somewhat interesting I guess.
The idea of the adventurers having a large community where people know each other is pretty cool.

One of my favourite tropes when it comes to adventurers. I'll probably include such a guy in my next campaign

Shit taste detected.

Tons. I've just given up and embraced the consequences of a DnD-esque world, so all kinds of powerful and influential people make their kids adventure at some point. The most successful adventurers inevitably become famous, with some even starting adventuring schools and having dungeoneering strategies named after them.

That sword is so unbalanced. The hilt doest connect to the centre of the blade.

They are called mercenaries.

YEP. There are whole parties from the adventurers guild that are household names.
The PCs are only known in one town right now, but as they gain fame they get better jobs, go on raids with the bigshots like pic related, and people actually remember their team name

Yes, I'm planning on having my players track down and recruit one such adventurer for their employer. They have to prove to him that joining up with her will give him the opportunity to improve himself, which will probably involve besting him in a duel. If they fuck that up they'll have another chance to recruit him if they rescue him from some kobolds whose lair he'll try to destroy.

If I'm playing in the core setting of whatever game I'm playing, I'll always use the iconic characters as player allies.

For example, in Pathginder the group might meet up with Valeros in a tavern and then go for a bro-op with him and other iconics.

Hero/Adventurer guilds are stupid.

Not what he asked, contrary connie

>Hero/Adventurer guilds are stupid.
Well yeah, when you call them that. My game has an organization that studies past civilizations, like a university. A big part of this is delving into dangerous ruins or ancient lairs and finding tomes and artifacts of the past ages. There's traps and monsters and the like all over those places, and they're typically in dangerous locales to begin with. Getting a membership with that organization pretty much guarantees work and pay, with offices and branches all over. They might take odd jobs to get extra funds, like handling some ass holes or clearing out a local monster, but it's not their focus. What do you call that?

Reliquary Society and security contractors?

I meant like as an organization. It's essentially an adventure's guild, just with a purpose beyond ADVENTURE!
Neat name, though

Different types to appeal to different demographics.

Some are like heroic, chivalrous knights with mass appeal while other are dark, broody anti heroes types with smaller but equally dedicated fan bases.

It is funny to imagine that they all have merchandise themed after them whether they endorsed it or not. You could go to the town square to find smiths selling replicas of their helmets and weapons, weavers selling similar clothing to what the heroes wear, and stands selling toy versions of them.

Depends. If the players count, then yes it currently does.
Otherwise no.

Yes, they're called Player Characters (PCs).

Bump

>It is funny to imagine that they all have merchandise themed after them whether they endorsed it or not. You could go to the town square to find smiths selling replicas of their helmets and weapons, weavers selling similar clothing to what the heroes wear, and stands selling toy versions of them.

That's a great idea.

Sort of reminds me of Volo in MotB. He's a bit of a tool and it's clear he makes up half of what he says, but then in the end you remember that he IS a famous adventurer for a reason, and is, in fact, kind of a badass.

Isn't that basically the whole premise of Pathfinder? That there's a REASON for adventurers to join an organization?

In a world that has an abundance of dungeons filled with monsters and treasure why is it stupid?

Are player characters entirely unique in what they do?

This is entirely consistent with real-world history, too. Roman gladiators were celebrities that were used to hype the games and I'm fairly certain there was merchandising involved. I know for a fact there were illustrated story posters (comic strips, really) and graffiti made about them.
It's super entertaining to me how similar to modern celebrities they tended to be.

I was recently planning on introducing a character based on pic related.

With a bunch of kobold minions in place of the dogs?

Well sort of - I give class levels to most npcs and few could be considered adventurers - like giant gnoll eldrich knight that goes around dueling demons for magical artifacts.

My world has futuristic technology. So the rich folk from the Last City will watch adventurers from the safety of their high-rise apartments.

Indeed it does.

>My game has an organization that studies past civilizations, like a university. A big part of this is delving into dangerous ruins or ancient lairs and finding tomes and artifacts of the past ages. There's traps and monsters and the like all over those places, and they're typically in dangerous locales to begin with.

theonion.com/article/archaeologist-tired-of-unearthing-unspeakable-anci-1448

Here.
Well, kinda. There are other groups of adventurers, but they're typically small-time or low level. The PCs, however, hold several claims to fame.
The Warrior Summoner won the Imperial Tournament through a stunning display that culminated in her grabbing a hammer that had been struck by lightning and striking her opponent with it. She's also a fairly renowned Lillium(trees, not succubus ass-fat) priestess in her home province, as well as the rather confused Saint of an entire Catholic Abbey.

The Mentalist's fame comes from being from a family who're members of Hellenia's ruling council(and also secret Mentalists), as well as his mysterious affliction where metallic things wind up getting embedded in/blasted through walls when he's around, more so when he's been drinking(Electromagnetism powers.)

The Warlock is a fairly popular doctor in the city they've based their operations out of, as well as an enchanter par excellence. He's especially known for making phenomenal enchanted replacement limbs for people, and for his great bedside manner.

The three of them combined drove an invading army of insane, demon-possessed barbarians out of Hellenia, through liberal use of Lighting Aeon Summons, teleporting trebuchets on top of the enemy, and Homunculi swarms.

The Weaponmaster, who has split from the group, is infamous on the Eastern continent for stirring up all sorts of trouble, including but not limited to, defeating both the Silver and Golden Emperors in single combat, commanding an army of Ashura Oni through sheer force of will, and destroying the Dark Kami Yagarema.

And then there's their biggest fan, a dragon with a serious humaboo streak, who has made a card game featuring different humans. Each of the PCs has entire decks themed after their exploits. Said card game is insanely popular among the Pro-Coexistence faction of the organization that the dragon is a part of.

Only one, a sort of mix of Indiana Jones and Rincewind. He's now in his old age, but traveled the world in his youth, surviving every danger that he encountered (including dragons, demons, gods and other powerful entities) by chance, luck and the occasional natural crit. He's written a lot of books about his experiences, and every adventurers guild in the world has at least 4 or 5 of them, mostly those that cover info about the surrounding area.

In my campaign world, I've got stories/legends of adventurers who would qualify as celebrities if they suddenly showed up again and were walking around.

Currently, there's only two actual celebrities, both widely known for different reasons. The first is the king of the main setting's lands, a man who grew from humble roots in a fishing village, took to adventuring and eventual piracy in an era of war, found out that his absent father was the deceased king and decided to help free his lands from the subjugation of the invading forces. His "crowning moment" was sneaking upon the invading forces flagship naval vessel, a massive galleon with magical armaments on top of an insane number of cannons, and slaughtered the crew until the soldiers surrendered. He then sailed the flagship straight up to the occupying forces leader and bombarded them with their won weapons and spells until he forced them to the negotiation table.

The second is known only as, "The Red Wizard," a title passed down from one mage to the next. Widely acknowledged to be the strongest magician in the land, the current Red Wizard made a name for himself on the battlefield with being a tactical genius who worked alongside the pirate-turned-king, who aided him both on and off the battlefield. On the battlefield he wielded ancient and powerful magic spells passed down from his master, and his master before him. None bother him though, for fear of incurring his wrath and becoming another victim in the Red Wizard's legacy of death and destruction.

Anyone got any names that basically mean "adventurers licence" but sounds cooler and less meta?

So that's what they mean when they say hung like a horse

Mercenary Brand
Heroic Mark