How "flexible" is 5E for other genres?

How "flexible" is 5E for other genres?

Well DMG has rules for modern weapons and one time I ran a post apocaliptic game in it, with normal races being replaced with all kind of mutants

It is not. At all.

Was it good?

Just learn another system you lazy fuck.

Play GURPS.

Yeah, used homebrew port of Gamma world to 5e

(Greatest advantage for me was the fact I didn't need to teach group all the mechanics all over, because they were quite new at the time)

As long as your building characters out of the PHB to work as a small-scale strike team who's out to clean out some "adventure zone," get stuff, and get back out in pursuit of wealth and additional power it works fine regardless of what coat of paint you give it.

The problem is that if you work away from that style of play it's worse than useless.

DnD isn't even a good game for it's own intentioned genre, why the fuck would you use it for anything else?

Of fuck off

It's alright. I'm currently running a futuristic campaign set in the 2200's. Just good ol' planet Earth. Except with elves and dragons and shit.

Not even a little bit.

It does not have the intentional blanket-system-factor of the SRD and 3e

It does not have the fluff-crunch-seperation allowing for seamless refluff of 4e.

It's good for what it's good for, but it's not the "generic" system you've been used to D&D being for the past almost-2-decades.

But GURPS is spergy dogshit. Play Savage Worlds. Or Fate. Anything but fucking GURPS.

Confirmed for knowing nothing about GURPS.

>GURPS SUCKS
>FATE is good

Why would you run 5e for anything? It's shit.

Depends on how you define "flexible".
If you mean "does other settings as well as it does its own", then it's very flexible.
If you mean "does other settings well", then it's extremely inflexible.

D&D is pretty rigid even in terms of what kind of fantasy it does

Not that guy, but GURPS is pretty shit. GURPS lacks a mechanical identity. By being utterly generic, there isn't anything that really makes GURPS good for anything besides a "I literally can't find a good system to run this" system. And even then, there are better games for it.

lol

Right back at ya, man.

lol

The point of GURPS is to lack a mechanical identity. 90% of all rules presented are designed to be optional, to GIVE it a mechanical identity. The base system is literally just "3d6, roll under skill plus modifiers, damage is always a number of d6's". Anything more than that is optional rules.