2000AD - Nemesis the Warlock 6

LET THIS BE OUR FINAL CONFRONTATION!

Over nearly twenty years two mighty champions of Khaos and Order have hurt each other in every way that matters as they fought across time and space. They have destroyed each other’s bodies, they have killed each others families, they have driven off every loyal ally they could once call upon for aid. Now, finally, they stand on the precipice of their long-promised final confrontation, gathering the last reserves of their strength and arming themselves with their most potent weapons.

HE is the Nemesis, the Deathbringer, the holder of the Sword Sinister, Khaos Incarnate. HE is the Grandmaster, the Chief of the Tube Police, the Ultimate Human, Order Personified. Let Battle be joined!
youtube.com/watch?v=29zw6TV3MPw

Nemesis the Warlock is a sword and sorcery comic published in the British weekly anthology 2000AD that Warhammer 40,000 ripped off extensively. As such, elements of it can be used by players and GMs of 40k rpgs with very little work. The weird, gothic setting is also interesting enough to be used in its own right, and its exploration of what it means to be a follower of Order and Chaos could be helpful D&D players.

Previous threads
NEMESIS THE WARLOCK
Prologue, Books One and Two
Books Three and the first half of Book Four Second half of Book Four, Book Five and First half of Book Six
Second half of Book Six, Book Seven Book Eight and Book Nine

Other urls found in this thread:

i.imgur.com/hmLYder.jpg
i.imgur.com/kJvQqxT.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=YN5AxvjTJhQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammit
youtube.com/watch?v=229K5n_PRJA
youtube.com/watch?v=6bMM61Y5CEU
mediafire.com/file/n3toj971abnniit/2000AD_#901-903_Nemesis_the_Warlock_-_Hammer_of_the_Warlocks.cbr
mediafire.com/file/ef4pa0g5cvv5hg2/2000AD_-_Nemesis_The_Warlock_Book_X_-_The_Final_Conflict.cbr
youtube.com/watch?v=2NRbycO0O_k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ABC WARRIORS
The Black Hole (a story running simultaneously with Books Seven and Eight of Nemesis) For new readers just joining us and don’t want to go through all of that right now, or for established fans who still want a quick refresher, this is the story so far

If Nemesis doesn't float your boat you might enjoy alien superfiends murdering a planet in Dreams of Deadworld and The Fall of Deadworld: And this is Sinister Dexter, the adventures of two Gunsharks in the European megatropolis Downlode:

After crashing back into his own time after a sojourn in fifteenth century Spain and 1980s Britain, Torquemada of Termite suffered a series of setbacks and defeats. Nemesis destroyed symbols of his power, eloped with his wife on their wedding day and, finally, trapped Terra, the seat of his Empire's power, in an impenetrable psychic shield.

In desperation he looked for a way to even the odds...

Art for this episode provided by Clint Langley, whom some of you will know from his 40k photomanipulations.

To protect your PURITY some of these pages have been edited slightly. Much like Brother Bertold I've gone blind from squinting at these things.

INQUISITORIAL EYES ONLY: i.imgur.com/hmLYder.jpg

Thought detector vans are on standby for anyone curious as to what horrors lurk in the originals.

Definitely not a trap: i.imgur.com/kJvQqxT.jpg

I forgot these pages recapped everything. It would have been necessary, however, because there were ten real world years between the end of book nine and the start of book ten and with only, what, three short Nemesis stories in all that time? Considering 2000AD comes out weekly that's a hell of a lot of things to distract even the staunchest fan.

The Mechanicus are Termite's technological lore-keepers and maintainers of their relics from the Dark Age of Science, like the mighty Titan robots. They also predate 40k by quite some time.

This would have been a great point at which to finish the story. It even says

>The Great Battle Begins in 1995!

This did not happen. In fact it was another five long years before there was even a hint of Nemesis coming back.

Hurray for new Nemesis storytime!
All hail shakaranon!
>In fact it was another five long years before there was even a hint of Nemesis coming back.

Wait, you aren't going to do the same to us, are you?

Hmmmm.... mmmm... its so tempting... nggh.

But nah. I was just looking up relevant bits of the history of 2000AD, Thrill Power Overload by David Bishop, to try and work out what the hell went so wrong. The most I can find out of it is that Pat Mills planned for Clint Langely to do the next part but someone in editorial got cold feet after the poor response of 'conservative' readers to Hammer of Warlocks. It was too reminiscent of John Hicklenton's loopy interpretation, which itself hadn't gone down terribly well.

That said, I think some of the blame must lie in Mills himself - he was working on a lot of other projects at the time, particularly the Punisher 2099 series for Marvel. Blaming 'conservative' readers for not liking Langley or Hicklenton excuses the creative teams for the fact that a lot of 2000AD's output at the time was pretty dire. Langley has improved an awful lot since then, but, as one commentator put it, in this period he seems to have been using algae to paint in a palette better suited to camo schemes. He wasn't alone in that, as it turned out that one of the unforeseen side effects of Simon Bisley's fully painted Horned God was a lot of imitators trying to emulate it with far less skill.

Mills' himself, whose work was always a bit uneven, got even more rocky during the same period. A lot of its not unreadable, far from it, but its nowhere near as good as his early-to-mid 80s output. Like 2000AD as a whole he did return to something like his past glories in the new millenium, and, also like 2000AD, seems to do his best to forget that whole 90s business.

It is the end of the 20th century. We're partying like its 1999 because it, in fact, 1999. With the dawn of the new millennium fast approaching and doomsday fantasies peaking it was the perfect chance to finally close the book on the Warlock and the Grandmaster.

For this final chapter relative newcomer Henry Flint was approached. This turned out to be a spectacularly good decision. With a final return to Termite in the offing, Flint's glorious inks were reminiscent of Kevin O'Neil's crazed detail and brought a humour and vitality to the strip which had been missing for some time.

Flint would go on to be one of the core components of 2000AD's millennial rebirth, co-creating the Low-Life, Zombo and SHAKARA and working on acclaimed runs of the ABC Warriors and Judge Dredd.d

youtube.com/watch?v=YN5AxvjTJhQ

Ragnar, The alien with a mouth running all the way down its chest and one in the palm of its hand, was among those freed by Nemesis in the very first story in 1981

Torquemada (for whom phrases like "I feel a pogrom coming on" are not unusual, bless his cotton socks) was originally introduced as a Chief of the Tube Police.

>Who do you think you are - Nemesis the Warlock?
Perish the thought, officer. I'm just a tall, dark, heavily armoured weirdo with a big nose and a really flash car.

An indulgence is a "a way to reduce the amount of punishment one has to undergo for sins", with Plenary ones remitting ALL temporal "punishment" required to cleanse the soul from attachment to anything but God. Although in theory there are a lot of steps to obtaining an indulgence and to have it actually mean something, the practice of selling indulgences and other abuses were long criticised. The abuse of Indulgences was one of the things which ticked off Martin Luther so much it kickstarted the Protestant Reformation.

Don't pork it! Put a cork in it!

"Killer Watt" was the title of the second ever story with Nemesis, back when it was supposed to be a series called "Comic Rock".

I wonder if that one user who was driven mad trying to understand the mysteries of the Warlock's snout is about?

More unashamed callbacks, these flying rollerskate lancer terminators were on the original Nemesis cover .

I love Torquemada.

Some time when I'm not being a lazy cunt I should really storytime some Zombo.

That first story on the deathworld is pretty fun from roleplaying potential and 40k's deathworlds perspective.

I might be able to do it myself at some point after this because you're right, the first one is excellent Death World material. The later insane stories I have no idea what you'd do with, but they are certainly entertaining.

This page is relevant for those anons involved in that very interesting discussion at the end of the last thread.

From the looks of his eyes and smooth features the lawyer here is almost certainly a Goth .

A surprise witness for the defence! Who could it possibly be?

Behell Senior was one of the foremost Terminators in Torquemada's army, appearing on the first page of the first book . He tried to take over from Torquemada after his untimely first death and was pushed into the Alien Pit for his troubles .

The young terminators are clearly inspired by skinheads, who had an important role to play in Book Nine: Deathbringer

I honestly don't get Purity's actions here here considering all her character development and motivation to this point. But what the hell, its funny.

This scene is inspired by the ancient Egyptian afterlife, particularly the role played by Ammit the Devourer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammit

>Do it faggit

A Hypogeum (from the greek hypo for "under" and gaia "goddess of earth") is typically an underground temple or tomb.

Torquemada's boyhood first shown in Book Two: The Alien Alliance .

youtube.com/watch?v=229K5n_PRJA

Once they were closer than any human or alien had ever been. No more. No final goodbyes.

This is it folks. This is the Final FINAL Confrontation, and for this momentous occasion Brother Kevin O'Neil has been brought back.

Spot the Terminator sects .

END OF BOOK TEN
and the
TERMINUS NEMESIS
youtube.com/watch?v=6bMM61Y5CEU

Thank you for sharing, it was a wild ride.

mediafire.com/file/n3toj971abnniit/2000AD_#901-903_Nemesis_the_Warlock_-_Hammer_of_the_Warlocks.cbr
mediafire.com/file/ef4pa0g5cvv5hg2/2000AD_-_Nemesis_The_Warlock_Book_X_-_The_Final_Conflict.cbr

Glad you enjoyed it!

Although Nemesis ended here, there was one final coda in a story Henry Flint illustrated about the ABC Warrior Deadlock which is sometimes referred to as Nemesis Book 11. The Warlock also made one final surprise appearance in the celebratory Prog 2000 last year, a full seventeen years after The Final Confrontation. I might be able to do both of them later today, but for now I need to take a little break!

I've just realised I posted entirely the wrong video there ! I meant to link to Iron Maiden's Two Minutes to Midnight, which would have been much more appropriate!

youtube.com/watch?v=2NRbycO0O_k

It truly was a wild ride, and thanks for that.
Enjoy your break, you've earned it. But remember...
Be pure, be vigilant, behave!

Why, it's Kid Prussian Blue!

>we'll keep on trucking

Cheeky bastards

Double scourging for double-heresy.

The fuck did I just read?

is it just me or is their final fate kinda anticlimatic?

I think so too. I wanted to see a lot more battling, but nope, they just...
Fuse together into a haunter starship?