Unglued/Unhinged Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:
who cares

Post some funny cards, be creative.

Good one

boring

Should use silver borders for joke cards.

I find it strange that over the passed week whenever someone makes one of these it dies almost immediately, because they were so popular before.

I have no real impetus to post because even when I give 4-5 blurbs of feedback per post, my shit gets ignored more often than not. Why bother putting in effort to be "the change" when most of the constructive, active and interactive posters are gone and what we mostly have now are single card spammers that post no feedback, and posters who only respond to feedback on their cards but give none in return. I'll post again when these threads aren't shit. Which I leave up to you all because I'm done trying to improve them. I have better things to do with my time than headbutt a wall.

Also that OP primer is old as fuck.

This.

Also a lot of the last few threads have been full of people that either have no clue what they're talking about when they critique cards, or people that are just there to spout nonsense and try to derail, which is really what's happening here.

MTG on Veeky Forums has generally been lukewarm in those regards over the last few months.

Not a big fan of Un-cards, so here's a rare from a set I'm helping work on instead.

I don't get the use of this card. Why should you play it, 10 life and a round to get your 5 cards back. Meh

>Unglued/Unhinged Edition
Let's do this then.

Power Creeper
1G
Art depicts a centipede with a beefy muscular front end and a spindly nerdy back end.
Creature - Creepy-Crawly
As long as ~ has the most recent timestamp among all permanents, it gets +2/+2 and has trample.
1/2
"Yeah, but when are they going to print something playable in Vintage?"

The last threads were shit, nobody ever discussed about cards and nobody gave useful critique to any cards. This is why I wanted to open this thread as Unhinged edition. Uncards are just hilarious, there are so many nice mechanics, or jokes on older cards like even darker black lotus.

This is so fucking close to a cool ass un-card. Actually require you to do something with a yugioh card, like rip it, then keep the heart of the cards text.

Nice one.

Always Have An Ace Up Your Sleeve
Magician, that plays a card game, but you can see that he is cheating.
Enchantment
You may cast spells from your sideboard.
"All in"

Thanks man.
I actually wanted to do a monster with 1200 power and 800 toughness, but these numbers do not fit in the corner.

Can mtg.design do silver border? I don't think it can. Oh well.

You can, there is a field for Border

Eh, sure, let's do it.

"The Stack"
UUUU
Legendary Creature - Rules Avatar
Hexproof, indestructible, protection from insults
T: Choose the order effects on the stack resolve, unless each player discards a card and says "Roses are red, and a dark pinkish hue, I don't know the rules as well as you do."

0/1

Blind Billy, the Brain Damaged
3RG
Legendary Creature - Stupidity Avatar

RRGG, Stand up and point at a card: If you loudly say "I have no idea how that works", you may exile all abilities on the stack beyond the first one. This effect can only be activated if three or more abilities are on the stack.

3/9

Rumpelstiltskin
Tribal Instant - Judge

Talk to the nearest judge, and if they desire, they can rewind the game, then exile any number of cardsuntil the end of turn.

"Layers man, how do they work?"

Cool

Stand the fuck aside and let me show you how it's done.

Judgement Call
3WWW
Art depicts a normal-looking man squinting down from a glowing hole in the clouds, monty-python god style.
Sorcery
Each player chooses a creature. Destroy all creatures not chosen this way.
If a judge is within three feet of you, you may cast ~ as though it had flash and costed {2} less.
"Can I talk to you for a moment about Unsporting Conduct?"

How do you get your card images to be so massive?

Omg I love this card. Its suits to unhinged so well

Mtg.design, the Image I chose just fitted perfectly

Magical Keeper
1U
Art depicts a wizard standing infront of a soccer goal (is it called goal? You know what I mean). Other wizards are throwing balls of flames to him.
Sorcery
Say "Dude, I wasn't ready yet". If you do, target opponent has to take all his moves back he did this turn.

Iike the idea but I didnt think it was that great. It had a cute thing to care about but it doesnt feel like an uncard to me. I cant quite put my finger on why. But i posted it anyway.

A yugioh or other card game in general themed unset sounds funny though.

>protection from insults

The Lawful Good Henry
3W
Legendary Creature - Human

Whenever an opponent player is rude, you gain 1 life.
Whenever you're rude to an opponent player, destroy ~.

0/5

"Are you happy? Being mad all the time"

I thought of a card that lets you play yu gi oh cards as though they are magic cards. But this didnt feel good to me as I made them

Its a little boring, but maybe you could just play them face down and trwat them as 2/2 creatures. Basically word it like manifest + draft matters cards or cards you own from outside the game wording. Then cards can care about yugioh cards you control. Rules list off the attributes face down cards dont have I think and being a yugioh card isnt one of them so I think that can still work.

Dealer's Table
Artifact
1, Tap: Deal each player a poker card. A player with poker cards with a CMC of more than 21 sacrifices all of their permanents. (Poker cards dealt this way are considered artifacts with a CMC equal to their value, or 10 for face cards.)

Poker cards would fit nicely in an un-set. You could have Gambler tribal, card knights a la Alice in Wonderland, cycling, cards that are more effective in pairs/trios, and etc, and so on. My example might be a little extreme, though.

So I don't have the ability yet to physically make card images, but I have some ideas for cards if you guys wouldn't mind giving feedback.

The first card I've been considering is a red instant. It costs R+two Phyrexian mana, and it deals three damage to target creature or player. The idea of course is that you lose more life than you deal damage if you want it to be a Bolt but most red decks wont mind. If it's too good I've considered it also saying "Then, that target player or target permanent's controller may scry 1."

I really like the tech of using manifest/morph text to use cards from other games. I didnt even think about giving the other cards their own qualities since they are identifiably not magic cards so theres no mix up with morphs.

Had similar idea today. Card is still WIP, so the name and image are just placeholders.

Its not too good. At the moment, red is almost useless because there are no burn cards or good spells. Your idea is okay, but i dislike pjyrexian mana. You could do something like. Deal X damage to target creature. You lose X-1 life.

Another card I've been thinking about is a blue instant. It costs U+one generic. It says "Discard any number of cards from your hand, then scry X, where X is twice the number of cards you discarded this way. Then, draw a card."
I can't tell if it's too good or shitty yet. If it's shitty then maybe it could have instantcycling for UU as well. If it's too good then it could be changed to make you exile from your hand instead of discard, or it could cost UU or U2. Alternatively, it could cost U and be a sorcery which would definitely weaken it imo. But what do you guys think? I like the idea of instantcycling being an ability but it would have to be high costed for obvious reasons.

I do like phyrexian mana but I agree that "~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player and 4 damage to you" feels better to me and more obviously get across what youre going for.

I do think the card would be too good though.

Same user, now that I think about it UU is way to cheap to tutor for an instant without being counterable. scratch that idea completely

It woudnt, since they nerfed lightning bolt to hell. Red needs these spells to even compete with B at the moment. (If your cards are meant to be standard)
But I'd like to see some new effects for red, instead of plain damage in hundreds of variants.

thanks a lot for the input. I'm gonna go get food, when I come back I'll be sure to give feedback to the rest of the thread's ideas but I have to hit up the Chinese place near my dorm before it closes

What I mean is, eternal burn decks really shouldnt get more and imo better lava spikes. The card is fine in a vacuum I think if bolt is fine.

I now thought of a blue/red spell myself, maybe you like the idea.

The theme of these cards are elementals, so this spell creates a 2/2 elemental with haste. It gives you a counter, amd for every counter it creates an additional elemental with +1/+1. So the third time you cast this spell, you get a 2/2, a 3/3 and a 4/4. You may combo this with a copy card or chandra to make it even more powerful. Or instead of haste, they have prowess for more lategame and control. It should cost something like RB2 i think.

All you need is a bare minimum of rules text to dictate how mtg cards can interact with non-mtg cards and you can do what you want

I like it but the idea of losing hidden information to confirm and prevent cheating is worrisome

I like the idea. I don't have much input besides that desu. Haste is pretty good for making lots of tokens but I don't think it's too good. I'd imagine it's a sorcery?

It's a nice idea but I don't know how often the 21 cmc would actually come into effect
Maybe instead of the counters, you could have it say something like "whenever you are dealt damage by a source an opponent controls, draw a card" and have the flavor text "Hit me!"

I approve

I greatly approve

I like the first two, though blind billy might be worded better. The third need to be more fleshed out but might have potential.

I love it, nothing to add except that I think it would be good in red.

I like, especially the flavor text idea

Good attempt at a playable Necropotence. I don't think It's playable as is though.

I fucking love this. The second rules text sentence doesn't need clarification because it doesn't mean anything, and I find that hilarious.

Kinda boring. Give it something funny or have it make sense. Why does the tank have reach? Why isn't it a vehicle?

Flavor text saves a not funny card. It goves me an idea though:
Knight of Chivalry
Last Strike
Flavor text: "Ladies first"

I'm back from my Chinese food and fulfilling my promise. Gonna post more ideas in a bit.

Another idea:

Last Laugh
UUBB
Instant
When you cast Last Laugh, counter any number of target spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities, copy any number of target spells and abilities, and gain control of any number of target spells.
You lose ten life.

And another:

Reflect on Actions
UU
Instant
Return any number of target spells to their owners hands. Each player skies X, where X is the number of spells returned to his or her hand this way.

Anyone else want to contribute?

Can you copy abilities?

Either way it should be worded:

>Counter an number of target spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities. Copy any number of target spells, activated abilities, or triggered abilities on the stack. You may choose new targets for the copies.

I'm not sure what the purpose of also gaining contron of a spell is.

>skies
Scrys?

Pretty good.

Maro's actually been wanting to do Last Strike for quite some time. I'm honestly curious to see if he ever gets it done, especially so we can see Triple Strike (Double Strike plus Last Strike).

You can control a spell and copy it

This is cool, if I hadn't seen the spoilers I'd believe it was from HoD

I like this idea, and good job with the layout btw.

Decided to just focus on copying creatures already on the battlefield this turn. And yeah, no, I'm not really into Un-cards, sorry.

I'm with the other guy, this just seems too steep to be of any real use. Maybe if it were a passive thing that maybe drained you some life on upkeep to draw some cards.

Hmm, I think it might be better if it looked at the total CMC of permanents you control. I'm also having a hard time understanding what the last ability has to do with blackjack.

Should say
>instant and/or sorcery
But beyond that, I just don't really see the recursion here. I dunno, it just feels a bit off to me. I also feel like the land discard might make it too easy to trigger the condition here. Could just be me though.

Interesting. I might actually steal the counter idea for BB here. Also, I think the last ability would be better as
>~ becomes a copy of a creature card an opponent owns in exile.
or
>~ becomes a copy of an exiled creature card an opponent owns.
No clear precedence either way though, sorry.

Maybe it should be target non-human creature? Just to add some flavor to it?

This first ability is literally Changeling. Why not just use that?

Maybe he's trying to avoid keyword bloat in his set.

>set
The only non-evergreen keyword he's allowing himself to use is transform.

The counter ability doesn't really make sense from a flavor aspect, this was definitely more bottom-up than top-down. I think I might recycle the abilities for another card and just skip the middleman and use Investigate, but come up with something else for Detective Chimp. I still like the idea of Clue tokens though. Maybe he can let you tap Clues instead of sac them to draw? Is that broken at all?

Backstory: Chimp who's a detective. I forget his origin, but it's not that improtant anyway. He's actually pretty good at what he does, around the same level as Batman and Elongated Man. He hung out with Shadowpact for a while, which was cool.

I was thinking about that before. Sounds like a good idea to include now, non-Human shouldn't be too limiting.

Because I want to avoid non-evergreen keywords as much as possible. The furthest I've gone in that direction is DFC and Transform. And I don't count it when I use something functionally identical to a non-evergreen mechanic without actually using that mechanic. I realize this might make me sound anal or something, but it's just something I want to keep for these CO cards.

Feel like I might as well post this. Here's hoping the thread is still alive by tomorrow. And yeah, it's the one I haven't used much recently. Felt like a change.

Rolled 2, 9, 9, 1, 9 = 30 (5d10)

Never done this before, so I'm just gonna try everything but theme.

Color/Type/Mechanic/CMC/Rarity

Lands can't have CMC so I skipped it.

Does anyone have any experience with getting custom MTG cards printed so they look and feel real. It doesn't have to be perfect, I'd just be using them to have some fun with my friends. I've been looking around for some company that will make them, but a lot of places won't mess with MTG cards because of copyright.

So far, I think makeplayingcards.com might, but I'm not confident that they will. They seem like my best bet so far.

I also know that there are custom Chinese cards on alibaba, but I don't know how good those are, and the minimum order on the smallest size is around 1000 cards.

Is it too pushed?

Seems fine. She's pretty similar to a 2/1 with haste and menace for 3.

Usually for lands, people use CMC and color to tell them what an activated ability should cost. Really unsure about the untap stuff and I'm pretty certain the token is too good, both with that P/T and evasion. Also, why doesn't it tap to make the token?

I don't know anything about getting cards printed, but if it were me, I'd do something like change the back or something else really obvious so it's clear I'm not trying to counterfeit cards. Then just put them in sleeves so they wouldn't be obvious when playing.

So many something more like this would be appropriate?

Nice idea, really like it.
It also could be something like:
If your opponent player is female, this creature gains last strike

More or less, yeah. Though the order for activated ability costs is always.
>[mana cost], T, [additional costs]

Good to know. I'm just gonna try my hand at another one then, since it's pretty slow at work today.

Roll away.

Rolled 1, 5, 4, 6, 6 = 22 (5d6)

Rollin

Wasn't sure how much I could get away with on a creature with flash that has burn.

Changed the ability a bit. The reason for the odd wording is that I wanted the tap/untap targets to scale with the number of speed counters on him. Unfortunately, the way targeting works means that it doesn't really count the speed counter that goes on it as it attacks. So this is why the first part of the ability is separate from the scaling bit, and why the counter goes on last.

Seems OK. Scaling with power like this reminds me a lot of one-sided Fight, but it's probably fine.

Can someone give this guy a godilocks test
Too much, just right, too little

I fucking love Un- Cards!

It's a vertical cycle.

we could also get one-two-punch or something (normal strike + last strike) as a less costly double strike alternative

These are all pretty low-brow humor. "The card does nothing, but it references my animes! So funny!"

I'm with In fact, none of these really even need a silver border. I think you could easily get the "clumsy" part across by incorporating some random chance downside. Like with Confidant and Tutor could use random discard. Not entirely sure on Ritual, maybe flip a coin and sac a land or something if you lose the flip?

I've never been completely satisfied with the flip text.

Don't even really see the use of U here. Also, no offense, but why do you use art from established characters? I mean, I could see using OC's or stuff from DeviantArt.

And I might as well post my take on Liberty Belle/Jesse Quick/Jesse Chambers. The relevant lore here is just that she's a speedster with super strength.

Does this wording work? I'm honestly not sure.

Nice card.
The wording sounds strange, it sounds like somethings wrong, but I don't know what. But the {1} mana ability should be on the top or at the bottom but not in the middle of the text

The wording is just horrible. It should be something like: If a player casts a spell with chosen name...
But dont like the idea really, its kinda boring for an Un-card.

Really like the cards that refer to the real world.

The wording doesn't work. The absolute closest I can think of would be
>Whenever a player casts an instant or sorcery spell that targets a single creature with one of the chosen types, that player chooses a second target creature with the other chosen type. That player copies the spell. The copy targets the second creature.
Fuck me what a nightmare.

I agree that those cards were a little too lazy.

Here are the new versions. It's a shame that Clumsy Tutor became Gamble, tho.

Just another one before I go.

>he/she
opponent player, then you can write that player.
Also choose, not chooses.
The effect is okay, dont really like it though.

The cards were too boring before, but now the cards do not really fit into the idea of clumsy maids, magicians etc.

>from outside the game

These are much better, though they would be better as red.

Wording seems fine to me.

Clumsy confidant is just a good creature.

Rolled 10, 6, 1, 9, 1 = 27 (5d10)