Why was it so fucking good?

Why was it so fucking good?

Is the only fantasy Ecumenopolis to be successful and believable enough

but Rakdos, Gruul, & Dimir are wastes of resources and need to be purged from society

>Defined color pairings their their mentality, creating mechanics that could be unique to each pair.
>Had an all around solid story and a lot of good world building.
>Guilds were a fresh take on things we'd seen before.
>The first time Wizards really spent effort on enemy color combinations.
>Before neo-walkers.
>Before NWO, so we still got interesting keywords and shit that didn't have to deal almost exclusively with creatures.

We'll never have another set like Ravnica or Time Spiral again.

Best waifus by a mile.

Great Meta, great story great cards. You look at a format like Commander, and you see that a lot of Guild cards have become staples of the meta, simply because these cards codified what made Dual and Tri-color decks so fun to play, actually getting these pairings to work together and make a compelling Meta.

Tarkir tried to do the same with Wedges, but... it just wasn't Ravnica.

Without the Rakdos, Ravnica would be destroyed by a huge fucking demon. Without the Gruul, Ravnica would be destroyed by a berserk nature spirit. Without the Dimir, Ravnica would fall to tyranny.

>Without the Dimir, Ravnica would fall to tyranny.
That's 100% bullshit

Dimir runs the biggest tabloid on the plane. Without them, how would the citizens be informed about important happenings?

spotted the Azorius tool

Actually, it's: Without the Dimir, Ravnica would be destroyed by a huge fucking demon [again]
Szadek was the one who orchestrated the guildpact to keep Rakdos himself in check. And... to let Szadek essentially rule the plane behind the scenes.

Oh and Szadek isn't really dead.

I'm too young to have played it at the time:
Was it actually great or just nostalgiafags?

Honestly, a little of both. I think people look back on it fondly because Wizards let Jace rub his floppy blue cock all over a beloved setting with RTR. Like mentioned, city-planes are hard to do well, but all the different factions in Ravnica made it work. The questions of "where does the waste go" and "who grows the food" are answered simply by the existence of certain guilds, and they all work together.
It was also one of the last blocks to have a book trilogy, and honestly the books for Ravnica block were GOAT and made the setting that much more fun.

One of my favorite aspects of Ravnica was that the guilds weren't just armies duking it out in the city. They all had roles in society.

Golgari weren't just making plant zombies in the sewers, they took care of the city's garbage and fed the poor.
Rakdos weren't simply crazy people finding new painful ways to torture the civilians, they were the entertainers, club owners, actors, and musicians.
The Dimir wasn't just a shadowy organization of assassins, they ran the post office and the newspapers.
Etc. etc.

Maybe because you're 13.

Personally, I think it was the guild structure. It made it really easy for the designers to create a lot of different deck archetypes and build unique mechanics for them, while also giving players flexibility to mix things together. It also helped ensure that everything was reasonably well-balanced, since each guild got roughly the same amount of attention put into it, and it also had probably the best balance of creatures vs spells that the game's ever seen.

They had an opportunity to do something similar with the Theros block by dividing the cards up based on whatever God they worshipped but they fucked it up.

It is a great set, arguably the most well-designed block in Magic's history, but it looks even better when you compare it to what was surrounding it at the time.

As someone who was playing back then, going from Kamigawa to Ravnica felt like finally coming up for air after having been held underwater for an eternity.

I think the issue with Theros was too many gods and not enough distinct factions. Each of the White combos with another color should have been an,easy way to represent the city states with their own gods, but it's such a minor note mechanics-wise

>Rakdos, Gruul, & Dimir

Mah nigga

>I think the issue with Theros was too many gods and not enough distinct factions. Each of the White combos with another color should have been an,easy way to represent the city states with their own gods, but it's such a minor note mechanics-wise

what?

I wasn't playing Limited at the time, but how was OG Ravnica as a Draft environment? Was it difficult due to individual cards supporting specific two-colour combinations?

Name the 4 Polis from Theros. Theres a WU one, a WB one, a WR one, and a WG one. Then name what their mechanical identity was.

Even I could only name Akroa, and that's because they're not!Sparta.

Add onto that there were 15 different gods in Theros. That's 5 more than Ravnica works with and they often struggle to fit 10 guilds into 3 sets.

Yes.
Ravnica has been one of the most popular blocks in all of Magic for a long time and there are multiple legitimate reasons that it attracts that love.
There's also a fair bit of nostalgia because standard at that time wasn't too exciting. Kamigawa was garbage, so it was like playing Ravnica Block Constructed plus Core and maybe a couple cards from Kamigawa. If I remember right, Ghost Dad was THE deck at the time and playing against it was mind numbing.
You also have the ever-growing camp of faggots who need to try to prove their "nerd cred" by pretending they've been playing Magic for longer than they really have. All they know about Ravnica is that everybody seems to love it, so they hop on the bandwagon.

best girl

>vampire isn't really dead
You don't say.