WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Archive 1.1.0.7.6.3
youtube.com/watch?v=cSCOaowF2UI

>Impervious Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/deathwatch-kill-team
games-workshop.com/en-US/10-man-kill-team
youtube.com/watch?v=0lm_5NEPV-g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there a goto acrylic range for big terrain pieces?

Anyone know what legs these are?

Also, notice something off about this auction?

No idea really. But Victoria Miniatures sells things like that.

All 10 old cadians are done.
Thoughts?
Gonna be filler for my conscript blob

Also, I have this guy lying around, and I'll never use normal cadians models, so let's do this.
Post ending in 4 decides the paint scheme and such.

Can I get a rating/tips on my flame effect?
Also, does anyone have the Imperial Space Marine in Emperor's Children / Hawk Lords colours?

Just finished the Grots gotta do the big guys now.
I think it's going to take me another hour or so

I love them, where did you get these old veterans?

Not my best, but the humidity's been killer the past few weeks.

My plague angel finally arrived!

and a group shot because my infantry is pretty much all finished now

Tistaminis, he's a middleman that lives near me. Usually get some good stuff from him for a decent price . He has an eBay store also

Do people add grass and rocks and such to a base before or after they glue on a figure?

If after, should I still base it with spray paint in case I want to add brown and such?

Love them. Very Gallian.

I'm looking for some miniatures for my D&D campaigns, would you guys know of any places to get a bunch cheaply?

pic is what I am working on right now, decided to just sculpt my own minis for 3d printing instead

The satirical and ironic elements of 40K have gotten so tangled up in straight faced seriousness over the years. So much so that I can't say I'm surprised these pop up once in a blue moon.

Also 57$ get fuk'd

Save an image from ebay and the filename will always be the same, sometimes its $_1 but mostly for me its $_57

I absolutely despise the new Imperial Stormtroopers (tempestus scions as they are now called).

Seriously, I was on a roll painting my new IG models last year, until I finished the 5 bodies you see in this pic, and the overly detailed baroque nature of the new models sapped me of my will to paint. Now I am stuck in some painting purgatory where I want to keep painting but my poorly-medicated OCD is telling me I can't move on to anything else until I finish my 15 scions.

Fuck this gay earth.

Stop being a fag

Get yourself some chinese Kasrkins.

Wip Word Bearer Dark Apostle.

Finished the bases for these models and primed them. Noticed some annoying stuff I messed up while priming with the airbrush, to be fair, I only tried it once before.

If you want to paint over it, you will have to prime everything on the base. If you don't want to paint over it, after painting. Putting the miniature on before that, depends on whether or not it will get in your way, or messed up during the process. You should note where the miniature is going to be, or just pin it in place, when you place anything on there that might disturb its position later.

the current extent of my terrain making repertoire.

>Do people add grass and rocks and such to a base before or after they glue on a figure?

I've found it best, when making a "nice" base, to glue the cork/slate/sand/rocks/gravel down first, before priming the model. Then, after priming, those objects are ready to be painted just like the model is.

This wouldn't apply, however, when you're using Citadel's crackle paints, if you're being lazy and just flocking the base (pic related), or to a final touch of static grass/clumps. All of that would come after most or all of the painting is complete.

your cake's sunken in the middle dude

Is grass flock alright to pain over? Plan on using it on the bases and have death guard kinda turning the grass brown with rot.

Anyone know where I can get a recast Johnny?

>Is grass flock alright to pain over? Plan on using it on the bases and have death guard kinda turning the grass brown with rot.

If you do it right, it will look OK, but I don't think it could ever rise to the level of "awesome". I tried a similar approach making burned-out footprints for my Eldar Avatar.

Ayyy. It's Galli-user.

Anything that I should try and improve on for my Legionaries?

How do you go about getting that metallic blue Look? Wanted to do up some ork komandos that think there alpha legion

Looks pretty cool to me

Putting this wolf priest together, not sure about what I wanna do with the side of the crozius arcanum, where I chopped off the hammer bits. Was thinking of putting the wolf skull thing to cover up the weird flat zone.

Any ideas?

look like the secret weapon ones I think.
But yeah, victoria, maxmini, blightwheel and other sell similar ones too.

Anyone think pic related could be modified into a Primaris Johnny? A new breed of Johnny for a new age

The question is: beaky helm or Mk X helm?

Wasn't the beakie just straight up phased out and replaced?

Reaper bones for super cheap.
Includes all kind of critters and monsters.
Reaper metal for higher quality stuff, that's gonna cost a little more.

Northstar/Frostgrave for cheap adventurers and gnolls.

Otherworld for great minis for adventurers and the most common beasts.

Mirliton has loads of the old Grenadier minis. If you are into old school 80s d&d with authentic minis.

Ral Partha also has a huge catalog that is probably gonne be rather useful.

Foundry/Warmonger miniatures is worth a look too depending on what you are looking for.

In all honesty if you are looking for something as mainstream as D&D sculpting and 3d printing custom stuff is totally overkill. But more power to you if you enjoy doing it.

It's the good old FW recipe:

1. Airbrush with thinned leadbelcher/ ironbreaker (50/50 mix)
2. Airbrush from top of model with thinned runefang steel
3. Mix a little Tamiya clear green with Tamiya clear blue (25/75 mix) and airbrush over the model in 2 coats
4. Airbrush armour panels with Tamiya clear blue. Blending from middle of figure down, so the strongest blue colour is at the bottom of the pannels
5. Airbrush from the middle upwards with Tamiya clear green
6. Using an airbrush blend a highlight on the highest panels (head, shoulder pads, top of backpack) with runefang steel with a tiny amount of lothern blue, extremely thinned down.
7. Apply thinned coat of Tamiya clear blue over the highlight and blend into the surrounding area.
8. Using a blue glaze, drag down the whole model allowing it to settle in the deepest areas.

Though I've seen people do similar things with just a the metallic base coat and a bunch of glazes of guilliman/soulstone blue and waywatcher/waystone green.

>Anyone think pic related could be modified into a Primaris Johnny?

It would be a challenge, that's for sure, but I'm no good at sculpting. If I were, I'd have a Mk VI burna-boy with a helmet and full right arm armour instead of (or maybe "in addition to") this lad.

Ah, that takes me back.

Do one of these next.

the armor itself is pretty solid.
Looks a bit monochrome though.
I'd try and see if painting the grenades and the holster breathes a bit of life into it.

Also not what's up with the base.
Right now the conversion makes it look a little like he is wearing lifts. If you build up some texture on the base later it won't be as apparent, if you leave the base as it, it kind of bothers me, at least in that picture.

No, MkVI is still in active use in M41, along with the MkVII, since they share a lot of similarities.

110th Cadian

had some stripped land raider from aeons ago and finally got round to re-doing it. Rushed through a bit but big improvement.

>Post ending in 4 decides the paint scheme and such.
Look at that. The first try was a winrar.
Shadow Corps confirmed.

I''m making a homebrew Space Marines chapter, the name I've got right now is Red Eclipse. Any tips on the color scheme? Also is the name too edgy?

Oh the base is temporary but I was thinking of getting some of those mechanicus bases as I like the industrial look of them.

Though I don't really know what I'd do about the feet then, even if it isn't as apparent when viewed from above.

That was fast
Got it, ill do it when I got time and post it.

Sounds kind of odd for some reason. Just doesn't sound like the name of a chapter I think. I think it's because most chapter names are plurals.

Yeah, I see what you mean. The other name I had was "The Crimson Tide" but that's also not a plural thing. Do you think it would help if I put "The" on the front?

Isn't Crimson tide a submarine movie with Gene Hackman?

it is. Got Gandolfini in it as well, good movie.

Oh fuck, you're right, didn't even know that. I guess that name is out of the picture then.

I don't know of a single chapter called The "something" (i think at least?). Though adding it does make it sound better.

That's an interesting symbol you've got there.

I don't think having "red" in the name helps with it.

So the dude on the right is the first mini I've ever painted. Did a lot of things wrong and out of order (didn't basecoat and just painted everything individually)

What color would /wip/ recommend that I base coat these next two dudes with?

Shitty ass photo for now but my guillyman conversion is still going.
Can't wait for my jump pack bits to arrive.

>Also is the name too edgy?
We're talking about 40k, so the only question is how serious are you taking yourself here?

I'm not really a fan of colorschemes that have every other piece of the armor a different color.
I think it would look better if you had the helmet and arms completely red instead of just the faceplate and the elbows for example.

There are official chapters that do it similarly like the Mortifactors, but they have a lot more contrast in their colors.
So if you want to keep the scheme as is, I'd either make the red or the grey a lot brighter so you've got more contrast there.
Otherwise try to operate with bigger colorblocks like I described before.

>The other name I had was "The Crimson Tide"
Oh, I see what you've done.

You have to undercoat them first, user.

Why don't you go full red on the helmet and backpack unit

Thanks user

The name was just something I came up with off the top of my head, I haven't started working out the fluff yet. I might creep in some more red, like making the arms completely red. Thanks for the advice.

And of course their mouths are red too.

Cheeky bastard.

I didn't notice the symbol looked vaguely vaginal and the "Crimson Tide"/red faceplate thing until after I designed everything. Maybe I have some sexual frustration I need to work out or something

I just hope you didn't send it out to your friends.

Yo wheres that user working on a genestealer limo

how's that coming along

Goddammit knew I was forgetting something.

I'll go do that then.

Thank god I didn't.

those are secret weapon, got em on a couple of dudes right in front of me

Alright so re-worked them a little and I decided to not make them all guys who go down on their girls when the painters are in. I'm going full on hokey and making them Space Communists called "The Red Dawn" The 1984 Red Dawn not the re-boot. Using Mephiston Red instead of Khorne Red. Thoughts?

Get yourself some washes/shades. That armour needs those.

I like the red arms. That's good, the logo looks solid as well.

The lonely plate on the backpack is something I'd leave off though. Draws attention away from the red faceplate I think.

Alright, Thanks for the advice. Will continue to work on it.

Hey WIP, i am looking to start basic sculpting i was wondering if you could help me out with some things since i have never really done it. My main aim is to be able to add small customisations to already existing models, looking to improve enough to do convincing arm/weapon swaps eventually.

Any idea what some good begginer tools are that i will need? Also can anyone recommend a good putty for sculpting? Green Stuff is awful expensive and i assume there is an equivilent thats the same thing but without the gw pricing on it.

Thanks for any help.

Do us proud user.

>Green Stuff is awful expensive
Not really.
Go to greenstuffworld and have fun.
Also milliput is kinda cheaper, I like to mix it with gs.

Hey friend, can you share the paint scheme? My friend wants to do achieve similar scheme for his Imperial Guard (down to the stripes and all) and this would be very useful

>Green Stuff is awful expensive and i assume there is an equivilent thats the same thing but without the gw pricing on it.

It's repackaged kneadatite. And GW ain't the only ones to repackage it.

You can just by non gw greenstuff, get one where the two parts are seperated.
Basic tools, you really want to use vaseline instead of water. I bought 3mm modeling brushes, which are realy nice. You also want a good scalpel and something to create round forms with.
I made these models with pure greenstuff and a mix of it and aves apoxie sculpt, when you want your modeling mass less sticky.

>Imperium Paintball Championship Runners Up M41

began painting my Deatwatch. used primaris as a base, then used bits and some green stuff to convert them.
So far i only have applied the blacks; i went for a "super fast" painting techinique because otherwise i will never be able to finish yet another project.
Toughts?

Got inspired by the other user from a while back saying he was going to put his Fists on muddy trench bases.
These 5 are the first I've thrown together sort as a proof of concept but also to test out the mixture consistency and color.
I want to add more bits and stuff on later bases but for now it's just simple stuff.

How did you do the mud?

A little bland but hopefully when you paint in the rest of the details and get a bit more colour you'll get them to pop.

So, I just bought this bad boy on ebay. He will need some touch-ups on the battlecannon and the ion shield and maybe a bit more colour on the skeleton.
Did I miss anything obvious? What kind of mix of purple and pink is he even?

It's funny how many people use that head for their Salamander.

pretty sure that is what it is made for.
The facial features would look a little unusual for a white guy.

>Did I miss anything obvious?

Shading? Highlights? Panel lining?
The skeleton looks like it might have gotten some, but the rest is utterly flat.

Also, drill the stubber barrel and fix the seam on the cannon's.

Salamanders aren't actually black, they are white guys with black skin

Followed a tutorial video.
Mixed spackle and PVA glue with some cheap brown acrylic paint, adding sand for texture as I went.
It started out pretty light but darkened up after some drying. I then gave it an agrax shade since I was nervous it was going to be too light.
Finished them off with a layer of 'ardcoat once the mix had fully dried.

Its just the black so far. Its like 10% done. the silver arm is just basecoated.
Its the perfect nigga face.
Its literally just basecoats.
Add a simple shade and highlight and it will look a lot better.

Salamanders have charcoal black skin but not African features.

Here's another funny thing. It's the only head head in the box that 'Eavy Metal didn't paint for the studio's Deathwatch box set.

games-workshop.com/en-US/deathwatch-kill-team
games-workshop.com/en-US/10-man-kill-team

Well I figured that.
I'm just saying that the blacks aren't anything to write home about so you better make the rest of it count.

yeah that is the new version.
In codex armageddon they had a white guy in a tac squad and a black captain with blonde hair.
Then they were generally considered to be black for a while before GW said, not they are REALLY black. Which looks like shit usually. Just doesn't work well in miniatures or anywhere else, cause it's not something that really computes.
>in b4 people say they were always meant to be jet black

Even red skin for demons makes more sense since most people are familiar with that concept.

But whatever.

Bottom is ace, Maybe just add a few more highlights to the top? I love heavily weathered shit.

I think they look cool.

It's a good thing they have red eyes instead of lips though.

youtube.com/watch?v=0lm_5NEPV-g