Making weapons/armour from monster parts

Hey Veeky Forums I've been lurking here for a few years and watching yt series of ttg games but only recently started playing myself.

>first session
>joining level 4 campaign as a goblin cavalier
>enter ogre spider lair
>"how large are the butt spike things it has?"
>"as big as a boar" says DM holding hands out wide
>kill it and I take them with me.
>ask blacksmith to fashion it into a lance
>"oh its only like a quarter of a meter long it won't do anything"
> other players and I point out its as "long as a boar"
> DM doesn't budge, says it just ends up being a tiny thing strapped to the end of my old lance.
>treated as masterwork after lots of persuading. DM was gonna make it entirely pointless.
>charged 165 gp to tie stick to another stick essentially.

I'm new so I don't know if this is dm bullshittery or I'm just a retardo. What does Veeky Forums think?

Its pathfinder system if that helps.

General monster weapons thread I guess.

>Its pathfinder system if that helps.
Pathfinder is generally the opposite of helpful.

It's obvious your GM doesn't want you doing this, so either stop it or ask your fellow players to convince him. Otherwise drop it.

If you want this exact thing, Monster Hunter

>Its pathfinder system

>Its pathfinder
Try buttfucking the spider corpse next time, the DM will be more favorable to you.

>i like pathfinder because I'm a ROLEPLAYER not a ROLLPLAYER am i right be sure to like comment subscribe if you agree hey guys

dont be mean anons, he's new

I'm being OP's DM, not OP.

OP here, I dunno shit about the differences in systems, just joined because my friends were all already playing and it was convenient. Is pathfinder fucky in some way?

Short answer yes.

You didn't really fuck up, though, because you can't join three players and a DM and go "but actually we are going to play Glorblap's Big Adventure 2.8." If you're having fun then you're ok, but please do the internet a favor and if you're going to play more games later, be open to the idea that other games also exist (because Pathfinder's biggest flaw is fostering a culture where Pathfinder is the only game).

Veeky Forums is very anti pathfinder. That said there are systems for pretty much everything.

Personally I love this kind of shit. When players are like I wanna be a part of the world and make some epic gear from that dragon corpse, I am 100% in. I would give a minor bonus to a skill or +1 to that type of enemy, that type of stuff. I've gone so far to do index cards that have the weapon name(which the players come up with) and a few bonuses here and there for some extra flavor. I love me some monster hunter shenanigans

But not all gms are like that. A lot of Gms tend to keep to the book and with pathfinder it can be a pain in the ass. For the most part if your going to press the idea of farming monsters for gear just ask if it can be superficial, generally GMs are cool with it but if hes got an issue with it then just drop it for now. There's always a chance to play that type of character in a different game sometime down the line

Yeah I only even thought of it because he highlighted how large the spider's spikes were and I immediately thought it would be fitting for my Goblin (who spent years living in the wilds with animals and loves animals) to start taking pieces from strong monsters to use as weapons/armor.

I don't know if the gm has anything against it, he's a work mate and loved the idea of my character making clothes based on whatever his current mount was when I told him. I never expected it to be LOL EBIG HYPER GEAR!! I just took advantage of something he described in a monster's appearance. He is new too though and this is a pre-built campaign so it could just be that he didn't know how to implement it.

Man, what a reasonable and nice answer

Bump for interest. I'm trying to run a Dark Sun game (5e. yeah I know) and I was trying to come up with a good system for crafting gear from monsters.

it sounds like he's sort of being a cunt about it. You should try and educate him

He's probaly wary about making everything you could feasibly rip off a monster something spooky powerful compared to what you could buy at a blacksmith shop.

Since he's a work friend I figure you'd be able to mention that you'd think it would be cool if you could get (X monster part) and use it as a weapon. Maybe it would give me (X small bonus that's very specific and not game breaking) or something like that.

For a spider spike, maybe you get a +1 to hit against insects.

If he's this anal about that type of thing, though, it prob isn't a good plan to keep pushing for it. You can just say "I just want it to be exactly like my current weapon except it looks cooler"

So this is just what I do as a jumping point for you mate, feel free to add or ignore what you want to.

>Make the weapon feel special! make an index card, or something so the player feels like it for them

>basic stuff, add a +1 to a skill that makes sense for the monster

>bonus damage to that specific monster, like a hammer of spider crushing

>Let them Refine the weapon ie treat it as masterwork or let it be upgraded obviously for the prices in the gm book (+1 and up enchants)

>Give them item goals like kill x enemies for a certain bonus

>give them a stat bonus if its from a strong enemy

>Use, steal, borrow from other sources for inspiration Pathfinder or 3.5 has a book specifically for legendary weapons with more ideas

Oh wow this helps *alot*, thanks.

I'm having to do a lot of conversion anyway. So going off the books is fine.

Big Monster = Better Gear is a seem to make sense what with leather and stuff. Would sacling the CR to the weapon bonus work?

Can you rephrase the question?

Good idea, i'll definitely bring it up, I already know he used some of my ideas that I randomly threw out there before I joined in so it wouldn't be anything strange.

Monster Hunter has an RPG?

literally scroll up

Nigger, you know I can't read.

Another way to maybe bring it up to your GM, you can tell him you aren't looking for stat or minmax handouts with this. Tell him to consider these sorts of things as possible aesthetic replacements for base materials. Your spider spike used on the end of a polearm for instance could work in place of metal.

Maybe you kill a bullette, you could use its armor plates in place of metal plates. The concept is already in pathfinder. If all you want is to have the same thing only monster bits, just tell him its purely RP, and if it becomes more than that, thats entirely his choice.

That said, many a lance use replaceable heads, so its possible his visual concept of it is different, also if it was hollow it wouldnt do so well after it dried up. And getting off with 165 gp for a masterwork weapon is a steal. Usually they are 300+weapon cost to buy.

the dm is shit. quit and find another group.