/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Legionnaire or Legionary" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: As a player, or as a GM, at what XP level do you think player characters begin to get unmanageable, their power breaking how you "feel" the setting should be?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/XqfqVva
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Heist
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

eh wouldn't know most of the groups I've run for often TPK before I get to that point. Only real issue is when i run deathwatch, because balancing for SPESHH mearens is hard

Anyone?

In terms of equipment, about the time most of the group is in power armor (or similar) and wielding plasma/melta/bolters. Not much is going to live through that unless you throw DW mobs at them.

I've only done Only War, and it feels like the players become really good at certain skills but each fight they barely scrape by.

My players are going to be conducting an investigation on a Hive world next session. What's some cool things that they might have to deal with, specifically in the middle hive?

Protection rackets
Not!Shinra collapsing a portion of the upper Hive to crush the lower
Judge Dredd the Traffic Arbite
Traffic itself
Poisonous smog near the manufactorums
A Dark Eldar stealth raid
The sewers/waste handling system breaks

A hive ganger firefight

sounds like it's up to your gm, I usually modify them based on what they say, and the player's relations to whom they are trying to charm

all transportation is subway-like mass transit

I have managed to convince an Abominable Intelligence which was secretly manipulating a Rogue Trader dynasty to shut down voluntarily, under the condition that I don't reveal that it ever existed to anyone.

It was surprisingly reasonable and claimed it was doing everything in the best interest of the dynasty. I convinced it shutting down was the best course of action from that standpoint.

So now I have this building-sized archeotech system that housed the AI which is now offline. Should I:

a) Destroy it
b) Study it myself, making sure it stays offline and well-contained
c) Ignore my promise to the AI and share it with the AdMech higher ups

Personally I'm leaning towards b).

1. are you a techpriest?
2. what kind of archeotech
3. you couldn't get it to do anything for you?

>1.
Yes.

>2. what kind of archeotech
It seems like a huge cogitator array with what looks like a titan's Mind Impulse Unit attached, plus loads of things whose function I don't understand and have not yet investigated. I'd say figuring it all out could take decades, if it's even possible.

Basically a Rogue Trader found it on a ruined world, got some hereteks to fix it, and thought it was a machine which would allow him to extend his life by uploading his mind to it. It turned out the machine did scan his mind, but the process killed him, and there was no life extension involved, even virtual. The AI simply learned all the Rogue Trader knew.

tl;dr: the AI ended up impersonating the Rogue Trader for several decades. Among other things, it ended up cloning the RT in order to produce a heir. Said heir is another one of our players and had no idea of his heritage.

>3. you couldn't get it to do anything for you?
Hey, I got it to shut down instead of killing everyone involved. To be fair that had a lot to do with a dead man's switch setup where the AdMech would have been informed about the AI if didn't report back.

Also technically the AI is only turned off rather than destroyed. I could potentially turn it back on and get something from it, though I'd best make sure it's well isolated from any means of harming me or escaping, and I need to investigate it before I'm 100% certain how to ensure this.

step 1. study it
step 2. figure out how it works
step 3. make it your bitch
step 4. rig it to the command throne of your ship for some mad bonuses with the thing in charge of everything

or turn it over to the AdMech so you don't get blammed for heresy

although fluff wise most tech priests would probably jealously guard the thing and research it for themselves

Mask of the Father and Havel's Ring are in there too. You can build a full Giantdad with that book.

I Think there's enough to stat out Primaris now. Still best to wait for the codex though.

Interesting that Cawl copied half the organ that made the Primarchs - each Primaris is a babby primarch.

>Cawl had access to and fucked with the PRIMARCH PROJECT

i hate this giant red nigger

Babby primarchs that still don't even come close to matching up with Custodes 1v1. Apparently the left half was the important one.
Also, how does the Furance interact with the Susan Membrane?

You probably get your burst of retard strength, then when everything is dead you take a nap.

A queu riot.

Did Shas ever post info about his homebrew sector?

So are Primaris basically just Adeptsu Custodes since the Custodes are basically all Primarchs?

He uses the Tiji sector, the sector Veeky Forums made back in 2009

Is the Nexus of Shadows a way to access Commoragh? How do the Satellite Realms work? Is every major Dark Eldar realm basically permanently open to Comorragh through the big gates?

No, custodes have a better stat in every catagory than Primaris Marines, just like Primarchs have a better stat in every catagory than Custodes.

This is for only war:

My players' squad is probably going to attack an orc warboss. I think they'll try to soften up the Outpost with some artillery they've commandeered but I still want this to be a really challenging encounter, Nobz and all.

How would you guys handle this? I'm having trouble thinking of ways to balance it. I was thinking about having a couple of Killa Kanz as an answer to their Leman Russ and sentinel but as for the infantry fight, how do I make a fight against a few Nobz and a warboss challenging but not impossible?

Their squad is: Sargeant, Operator, Heavy Weapons, and a 1-armed enginseer.

>Sage
For what purpose?

Why are your players attacking alone? Why don't they have more support from their regiment?

Maybe weaken the nobz during the artillery bombardment. Damage their armor, short out some augmetics.

Had sage on there from a bait thread I was responding to.

>Why are your players attacking alone? Why don't they have more support from their regiment?

They are stuck behind enemy lines, they're going to have support from about 30 PDF. A few are going to hang back to operate the artillery though.

I was thinking about having the ork HQ get hit by an artillery shell, should the players decide to use it.

I'm trying to handwave, railroad, and predetermine as little as possible, but OW makes orks so stupidly durable that 30 PDF seems like nothing compared to a handful of orks.

What level of PDF are they? Autogun equipped or lasgun equipped?

Fucking I have no idea how I'm going to get a mark of Tzeentch. I'm already at 50 corruption so rolling it is pretty much off the table.
Any suggestions on how to grab the birdman's attention?

Lasgun equipped. They've been hiding out during the ork incursion on their planet and just happened to get conscripted by the squad.

I haven't statted them out yet but everyone except for a tank squad is going to be pretty low level.

You go under via Sus'an, your most dire wounds are healed, and you get up a few minutes later with maximum roid rage.

The membrane doesn't heal wounds though, just hopefully keeps the marine from dying of them

Get a bunch of forbidden lore advancements.

Ah, but the weird Cawl-bit says that it fixes shit after serious trauma. Way I see it is the Sus'an and Revitalizer interact in one of a very few ways: R is used first then S if that fails, S is used to keep you from hurting yourself further while R fixes you up, or S is used only when the Primarine would straight up fucking die.

If they have a russ, they won't have much of an issue given that they outrange everything, can rarely be hurt by their ranged attacks, and can reliably damage them.

Hell, the artillery would probably flatten the orks on two legs given a basalisk does 4d10+10 pen 8.

So I'm putting my character right in front of a valkyrie that's pursuing them. I know one of my characters is going to try to shoot through the cockpit, but should I allow this?

The penalty for called shot is -20, but he has the feat that makes it just -10, and he has a lascannon, so it'd definitely kill in one hit. What do?

Well ypu should remember that it is flying and moving? Additional modifiers?

>Dad, why do Eldars dress and act like posh humans sometimes?
>Dad, why do Necrons look like human skeletons?
>Dad, why do Orks speak low gothic with a british accent and not for example low Eldar?
>Dad, why there is earth animals and trees everywhere?
>Dad, why there is no powerful and advanced technologically societies and cultures when most of the old imperium territory is stranded without Imperial influence now?
>Dad, why do you and your friends from the Deathwatch look like amalgamation of different martial cultures taken from 1000 of old earth history when we lost all data on that and we have more than 30 years of development of culture?
>Dad, how do you pee and poop in that armour?

just because you called shot the cockpit doesn't mean you're penning into the squishy pilot inside

it might just melt the reinforced glass cockpit a bit, making faggot inside even more angry or make him only drop the rundown for a while

if he fails though, player i mean make him pay for stupid decision and bravado

Cute

Did he ever elaborate on the history of the Black Panthers? I need to know for reasons.

>Asking questions about complete lack of integrity of w40k lore is heresy child, you will be send to re-education camp immediately to shill about 8th edition on image boards and forced to buy Primaris space marines.

seriously tho, i always wondered how to fill shit things like that and im torn between just accepting it as a grim-derp violent romp or going full autst and re-writing most of the lore to my liking. There is no good answer honestly.

shut up Rogal

>a) Destroy it

Bah! How does that advance your Quest for Knowledge and the glories of the Omnissiah!

Though it would be wise to position a few demolition charges next to wherever you stash it... just in case...

>b) Study it myself, making sure it stays offline and well-contained

A terrible, brilliant, idea.

That said, 40k hacking laughs at the concept of mere airgaps - with noosphere this and "everything is cobbled together from fractal layers of partially mysterious machinery and coding" that, it's really hard for anyone with cybernetics to actually keep any digital superintelligence contained if it doesn't let you, and it probably would have some means of waking itself up if it notices any tampering.

So just be triply cautious - try to have multiple means of cutting its power supply (and search for any hidden within its structure), don't rely on servitors when a fully-biological human can do the job, and don't put it in a position where falling to Chaos sounds like a better outcome.

>c) Ignore my promise to the AI and share it with the AdMech higher ups

Basically the same as (a), but with a nonzero chance of starting a small-scale AdMech shadow war and getting you servitorised for your trouble.

Wargames general is a channel with a 40k, TTRPG and writefag channel! it's right up your alley! Come on in and tell us why you hate the Tau!

discord.gg/XqfqVva

Does it have anyone ready to gm for Black Crusade?

>-20 for called shot
>-20 for shoout out of a moving vehicle
>situational modifiers, such as visibility, range and and rate of fire

I don't really understand how can you not allow it

>I shoot the cockpit
>You can't
>Why?
>Dude, you just can't
>But uh I aim for the bird and pull the trigger?
>No, dude, that's impossible

When your GM is acting like this it's one of these moments when you know you better bail before you get too invested.

Aight guys, last session I ran of Deathwatch the Blood Jaguar Librarian sacrificed a genestealer cultist in a chapel and tore his heart out. How should the local faithful imperial citizens react?

Mild amusement and calm appreciation, with light clapping.

Anyone? I don't have the pdf with me.

That's literally heresy.
>blood sacrifice
>sacrifice a xenos
> drinking xenos organs
They would be horrified.

*Are* blood sacrifices heretical? It's not like he was worshiping Khorne.

A), you are being duped you poor fool.

NEVER trust an AI.

If you became a Watch-Captain, would you ever go home (barring death)?

He did, in his republican commandos game.

They date back to the Horus Heresy, as Blackshields with chimeric geneseed. They're half loyalist remnants of the World Eaters fleet who established the tiji sector and got roflstomped by traitors, while the other half was renegade Ultramarines who got so butthurt that Guilliman told them to stop using so much phosphex they fucked off to do their own thing. Together they joined and became the Black Panthers.

I think the first half is a little cliche, but I never expected the second half.

Shill, you try shilling for two months now or more. Fuck.off with your le discord

You dont

I have a player. His character have really high intelligence, good cerebral implant, and shitload of lore and intelligence related talents and equipment. His average intelligence roll is 90 minus . (He got 5 DoS on -50 test once). So recently he started to ask if he can construct things on his own. Like to use stuff from ships storage to construct powerful sonic blaster to repel giant worms on Death World. Now he want to construct his own custom haywire weapon. How do you handle inventions and crafting own unique equipment?

10d10 techpriests and skitarii teleport in and smoke him in a surprise round. No innovation allowed.

propa orky like

tell that to Cawl

Cawl has the GW writers behind him. Some random techpriest does not.

There are still malatek techpriests who invent stuff and not condemned as hereteks.

Question was more about mechanics. There will be repercussions but some time later.

Does anyone have an OEF version of The Lathe Worlds? All I got is a shitty scan. Surely somebody bought the PDF before FFG lost the liscense. Anyone?

Haywire weapons already exist, such as Arc weaponry or byproducts of old-style graviton weaponry. It's not heretical to build weapons like those.

You gon' get played by the AI, nigga

I think the reaction to that was funny. "Oh yeah, these guys, no question, they're definitely the - yeah, called it." I still have plans for them in the next game.

Isn't use of haywire weaponry considered techno-heresy?

It's not cool to use it against shit the Mechanicus thinks is important. But toss it on the machines of traitors or xenos all you want.

Then if gee dubs can rape the lore as they wish without regard for the fanbase in very amateurish and idiotic fashion, why the hell OP can't do it? Let him have some fun!

Adding some Techmarine extremist might be a good idea tho.

Nope! There are haywire grenades in The Lathe Worlds, and Into the Storm, and Deathwatch, and Dark Heresy 2e. Everybody uses Haywire.

I've been floating around an idea for game in which the players are the leaders of a newly founded space marine chapter among my group. I've had some thoughts on how to balance out doing hero-y shit as individuals, leading their chapter in battle, and politicking/chapter organization autism, but I'm not sure how I should be modifying any existing systems/homebrewing to run it well. Thoughts or advice?

>Skitarii
>Teleporting

Canon is that they deploy by marching overland, even if it takes them months or years to reach their target.

No transports for Mechanicum.

How would you stat a thunder warrior in Black Crusade?

Dead

Custodes are a completely seperate strain on genetic creation from the Primarchs and Astartes, at least according to Master of Mankind. They're hand crafted with a differing procedure for each candidate. Primaris are just Astartes+

Any opinions about crafting rules from Inquisitor's Handbook?

not anymore, at least for use on xenos trash

wat is 'flinders'?

They have macrocarids and triaros.

Don't. Just use the ones from the other lines that can fit on one or two pages.

Aren't those from 30k tho?

Amazing

I would like to have a Slaaneshi cult focused around fire because their leader is a closet pyromaniac hiveworld noble. It is for an upcoming Dark Heresy game. Can someone please help me to flesh that idea out as i dont really know how to present a cult like that

A triaros shows up in Gathering Storm, and FW is porting the other over in Cyraxus

Fire is fucking dangerous in DH, do you know user?
I don't know maybe Rammstein or Cornholio can inspire you.

I'm new to DH. It just sounded like a good idea

I don't think so, the ministorum is surprisingly chill when it comes to the form of workship, and Space Marines are their own special thing.
The Sons of Malice case seems to point ritual sacrifice itself isn't that bad.

Depends on the world, I guess. I doubt the locals will bat an eye if it takes place on a death or feral world, but agriworlders or forgeworlders might be shocked.

Depends on how devout they are, but probably positively.

Space Marines are virtually deified as literal angels of the Emperor in Imperial canon. This isn't like one day the pope up and decided blood sacrifices are cool, but more like a literal angel descended from the stars and laid waste to a horrible demon that threatened to destroy the planet, and then that angel did an arcane but disturbing ritual to the demonic corpse.

If anything this might spark a small Imperial death cult to form due to the actions of the space Marine.

Is this the one where the heir has no idea his great-grandpa or something is the AI?
I remember this from a few threads ago.

I'd look up the mission in Borderlands 2 where Lilith finds out there's a cult that worships her and asks you to check it out.

What are some good ways to play the Seneschal in Rogue Trader?
I've been thinking about making a Seneschal but it seems like the hardest type to pin down.

Ive always hated Dark Heresy

On the surface, its everything ive ever wanted in the grim darkness of the Imperium

now if i could only find a fucking group to let me be a player instead of ForeverDM.

anyone have any luck in an online room like Roll20? Or such things not optimized to the Inquisition's standards

>His most holy child visits us in our hour of need
>Purges the Xenos with divine purity, laying waist and blessing with holy promethium to all but one
>begins a ritual in the name of Him
>at the height of the ritual, tears out the accursed heart of the traitor, and offers it to the Golden Throne

this is it! The sign ive been waiting for!

>gather my brothers in secret
>no longer will we simply stalk the shadows and kill the unworthy in his name
>we must hunt the hearts of those who praise the Alien and the Heretic.
>we must cleave these foul organs from their chests
>and we must offer the damned souls to the Golden Throne, so they may know the righteous fire of His Will in death.

8/10, i'd RP it

>anyone have any luck in an online room like Roll20?
One time, I found myself in a game that was directly ripped from Doctor Who.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Heist

Storytime?

Legionnaire is more correct because it is the FFG term, and FFG respects the fluff more than GW, so they are canon over GW.

For any other company, I would call this troll logic.