Are your settings a plane?

Are your settings a plane?

Are they a flat world? Or one like ours?

What is the best for settings?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5VLdcYzg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>What is the best for settings?

One of my settings is a flat world, though its not just a disc floating in space: it's the flat top of a huge mountain. The sun and moon orbit it by passing through a huge tunnel within the mountain. The setting's equivelant of the Underdark are tunnels filling the mountain, and at the root of the mountain is Hell.

0/10, physically impossible, see me after class.

You can't tell me what is and isn't possible, old man. I'm young and rebellious and I've got a head full of crazy ideas.

It is made of earth-like planets, water rings, hollow suns and gas planets. Hell is a hollow world made of many layers.

The aesthetic is mostly fantasy, but I worked out how gravity and souls are related to make the universe work. I call it "sacrophysics".

>What is the best for settings?
How does one decides this?

Magic.

> I worked out how gravity and souls are related to make the universe work. I call it "sacrophysics".
I love this sort of shit. Care to elaborate?

>I was inspired by old fashioned T and O maps (pic related) for my setting.
>The world is called Earth, or Earth World, is a small collection of continents surrounding an inner sea.
>It floats in the Ocean of Worlds, to travel to other worlds is as simple as setting sail across the ocean.
>Traveling across the ocean is really dangerous because you will find that the sky changes the farther you go from home making navigation difficult.
>Earth has typical cosmology, a sun which races across the sky, a moon which floats around as time goes on (but always retains shape due to the nature of the sun), and constellations that are only visible at night.
>Other worlds might have completely different setups, for example the world of Heaven has it's sun fixed at high noon 24/7.
>Past the sky and ocean is The Beyond, a dimension made of demons, which stretches out in all directions infinitely, the demons only have physical form when they pierce the veil and enter reality.

I would love to. Better start with something I typed in a past thread:

1/2

Prana is the primordial element from which all others are made. It is also know as life-force or soulstuff, because souls are self-contained and organized acumulations of prana. Any and all sentient beings have souls*, while animals have proto-souls. Having a soul in the first place demands that something has its own name, making it distinct enough that it may acquire spiritual links with other soul-possessing beings. Such links are called "ley lines", happening whenever one develops feelings of any kind upon something**. Prana flows through ley lines***.

The planet in question qualifies. Known as Ghara by most of its inhabitants, all of which either developed strong feelings upon it. Fondness of one's homeland, hating a war-torn kingdom, wishing to conquer your neighbors' lands, all this makes a ley line ultimately connected to the planet itself. The daily routine of one billion soul-possessing mortals sustains Ghara's Soul, which is further strengthened by being worshipped as a earth-goddess/father-god/Land Spirit by most of them.

Gravity is not an effect of mass, but of prana. Ghara's Soul is the greater concentration of prana other than the Sun. Its cosmic purpose is to make itself suitable for the living of soul-bearing creatures. Its own survival also depends on having souls linked to it.

That's why gravity is uniform throughout the crust: more living space to eventually house soul-bearing beings. Dwarfs are the most common example of this."

2/2
That's why certain asteroids and small planetary bodies have a gravity far greater than their mass, while some desert and dead planets have a pull as weak as the moon and are currently slowly disintegrating.

Theoretically, a nameless and unfeeling being could be free of gravity, but its metaphysical make-up would be so distorted as to make it dangerous. Ghosts such as the death cloud are posited by some scholars as proof of this.

*Except for demons and devils; their cosmical existence is parasitic, feeding upon the prana of existence. They favor souls because those are a concentration of refined prana, but some demons are known to engage in grand-scale draining of prana from the environment itself. Wastes such as the Unquiet Lands are places which never recovered from their invasion 500 years ago.

**This phenomena is also responsible for generating new prana which the ley web conducts into the stars, where it is refined and partially transformed into the other elements. Sunlight is refined prana.

***A soul can be thought of as a single ley line formed into a dense knot, whose arrangement is so unique as to codify the memories, personality and even physical characteristics of the corresponding being. It also takes the place of DNA and is called Pranic Holonogram, or PHG.

>Traveling across the ocean is really dangerous because you will find that the sky changes the farther you go from home making navigation difficult.
Is the change random? Otherwise you could use it to navigation. It's not like skies are the same everywhere in our planet.

Also, ever heard of Alderson disks?
>In 1974, the science fiction writer Larry Niven suggested that an Alderson disk "would be a wonderful place to stage a Gothic or swords-and-sorcery novel. The atmosphere is right, and there are real monsters." Because the zone habitable by humans is relatively narrow, the disc (and the cost of its construction) could be shared with aliens from hotter and colder planets. Over long periods of time, lifeforms would evolve to settle the sparsely-inhabited regions in between. "If civilization should fall, things could get eerie and interesting.

I like it. I love when settings have these sort of fantastical alternate physics.

Thanks. You got me curious, do you know about any others besides Elder Scrolls? Perhaps yours?

I like worlds like ours (a planet) because I'm an autistic kind of worldbuilder.

My setting is a planet but it makes no sense from a physical standpoint. It's a planet, but the crust of the planet was shattered by magic and it's now composed of floating continents. The layers with the most altitude are inhabited, the middle layers are mostly temperate rainforest, and if you travel all the way to the planet's core it's a horrible eldritch abyss. It's cold and dark and it's where the other continents fall when the residual magic keeping them up dissipates (happens faster for smaller islands). The total landmass (not counting the core) has maybe as much surface area as Russia.

I'm partial to the infinite flat plane cosmology.

here.

That works very well user.

Were it drawn, one glance would have told you that it is a different place, dynamic and full of adventure. I wish I had thought of something like that. Ever considered more exotic elements? Like aeroplankton? Sailing ships fused with small floating rocks?

Is there a way for landmasses to recover their floating magic? A genius loci wroshipped as a god? I've got a floating island kep afloat by pirates performing human sacrifice to give it "necromantic fuel". You could use something like this mixed with aztec mythology: pastebin.com/5VLdcYzg
>The whole idea behind human sacrifice is that human blood is the only thing that keeps the god's powers running, and the god's powers are the only thing keeping thousands of titanic skeletal demonic horrors from descending upon the world and devouring it.
But in your case the horrors are below.

My setting is a hollow planet with an inner "sun", Geocentric with stars, sun, and moon rotating above the planet.

The stars are living creatures, and the source of magic in the setting.

The world was once a normal universe similar to ours, but a fight between the stars and Gods (belief given form) tore reality asunder, and the Gods replaced reality with a living dream world made up of ideas, so rather than having atoms and molecules, everything has "Aspects".

A skilled alchemist can take the "Hardness" out of steel and imbue it into a sword to make it harder, or mud to make it stone, etc.

Floating plankton would likely not come up, the setting isn't advanced enough to see microscopic organisms with ease. Wizards might be able to, but it still wouldn't be common knowledge.
One of the countries has wood that is less dense than air, only their roots keep the trees in the ground. This is what's used for airships.

The reason the islands float is because a now-extinct precursor race basically spirit bombed the planet to destroy the Old Ones-esque monsters that crept up from within the world. It's the residual energy from that that keeps the islands up. They didn't do a thorough job, though, so there are still some nasties down there.

>everything has "Aspects".
>A skilled alchemist can take the "Hardness" out of steel and imbue it into a sword to make it harder, or mud to make it stone, etc.

Pymary?

>Are your settings a plane?
planes are a cancer on this hobby

Odd world shapes can be neat sometimes, to make a setting extra fantastical.

One setting idea I brewed up once had the world being on the back of an enormous cosmic whale. Like, really obviously so. You can clearly see the dorsal fin poking out the highest peak of the big mountain range running down the spine, and if you go to the edges you can see the whale's tail/flippers/head (depending which end you go to). The sun is actually a giant fireball breathed out of the whale's blowhole, arcing over the back of the whale every day -- so it's actually a new sun each day. Seasons are caused by the world-whale's sleep/wake cycle, the suns growing hotter as the whale wakes up and cooling when it sleeps.

Another setting I had has a great World Tree with numerous worlds hanging on it like fruits. Each world is like a round terrarium, filled partway up with soil/stone, and enclosed at the top by its own firmament. Every world has its own little world tree (not with any world-fruit on it, just a huge tree), running all the way through the center of the world and poking out the top, where it's actually the stem connecting it to the real World Tree. Theoretically, you could climb your world's world tree up and out of your world, go along the branches of the World Tree, and climb back down into another world -- though the tremendous distances involved pretty much impossible for mortals.

This sort of shit gets me rock hard user.

Thanks anons.

-Any souls with enough links can become a nexus. Those are the cores of the local ley web. In-game, they are seen as nature spirits, kami or even as gods by people of the region. Powerful adventurers*, ancient trees and cities are some examples of nexuses. You can barter with a nexus for it to teleport you through its ley web.

-The actual gods must be powerful beings which fit into the mold of the one of the archetypes. This both makes them much more powerful but also responsible for an aspect of existence. This responsibility manifests as an instinct they can't go against. The way they conform to it varies, two gods of death may behave quite differently. Said archetypes are based on Jung.

-Teleportation goes through ley lines. Travels to rescue a deceased soul so it returns to its body as well.

-There are no D&D planes, having planets instead. Most planets have ley lines between themselves, so powerful teleportation spells are equivalent to D&D's planar travel magic. One particular nation has a small fleet of leyships which use ley lines as sci-fi hyperspace, having an artificial nexus instead of a warp drive."

-Most of the gods themselves aren't aware of all of this. They understand it in the same sense that fishers understand the ocean. What I wrote is what the oceanographer would know instead. The god of knowledge discovered much of it, but that's because it is part of its divine instinct, to study and comprehend things.

*As souls which meet many people and provoke strong feelings, they are prime material for nexuses. BTW, the Heroic Archetype's role is to cultivate heroes/adventurers as cosmical antibodies.

The world is a flat disc inside a crystal sphere, being held up by an unimaginably large stone titan's fingertips. These fingers are, to those inside, the massive pillars holding the universe up. A certain religious sect sends acolytes on suicide missions down the pillars, where all the mistakes banished from the world live.

"other planes" are just smaller, more specialized world-segments hanging from other parts of the interior brass lattice keeping the world in place.

The "other planes" are just