Paizo Games General /pgg/

Paizo Games General /pgg/ /pfg/ /sfg/

Size and Scale Edition:
Exactly how "Epic" in scope have you gone in a game? Creatures you cant hope to damage without a fleet of ships? Something you must enter the creature and kill it from within? Racing through a fire the size of an entire nation?

/pfg/ Link Repository (Pathfinder): pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/82673/iron-gods
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/83053/dominions-of-vice-an-osirion-adventure
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/83254/carnal-crown
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/81935/essentia-our-last-days
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/83277/the-fiends-and-intrigues-of-house-karvane
pastebin.com/ECqfFHHE
docs.google.com/document/d/1H8JTDT-ZAcmg2CDD7h7DqKXuNuGcrJwIlML3ble0Vvk/edit?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

awoo

Anyone got some homebrew to share with the class? Something you've been working on?

no awoo allowed

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>get invited by a friend to my first pathfinder session tomorrow
>find out that the GM is a girl

No need to sperg out, brah. It's just a girl.

Really not something to panic about, user.

I have some real problems with making adventures and plots matching the real levels of my players.
For example, they're liv. 6 and already having a little trip into "space" to defeat an enemy hidden it "time".
How can i get better? Are there some guidelines or so? I don't have enough intelligence to make 7-8 levels of plot through a city, i want some spice myself to keep awake and to not bore my players to death.

Better than the reverse.
>Be level 12 and still fighting bandits scaled up

5 6 7 0 9?

I've had female GMs before, they're okay. Just imagine them as a transsexual and you're good

Are celeb players or celeb DMs preferable?

It depends on the celeb in question.

Well, shitposting and attention whoring in the thread aside, who's actually a good player? And who should be avoided?

Why is this a concern? Are you trying to avoid joining their games? Are you trying to avoid picking them for games? Are you just trying to stir up shit? You're going to get opposing opinions no matter what, so if it concerns you, just avoid them.

that's kind of how

*hot

Mostly just so that if I end up in a /pfg/ game I know what I'm getting into.

Why panic?

So long as it's not a DMPC-driven fujoshi-class landwhale, it's gonna be normal.

Reviewanons for Iron Waifus when?

Hopefully fucking never because glorifying that fetish laden shit just makes me want to commit suicide since humanity apparently can't produce normal people who can't do things without first giving them a layer of pointless fetishism first.

If it gets them popular and gets them into games, it's not pointless user.

Hey, not ALL of the apps there are fetish laden. Not unless you're reading too deep into them and projecting, at least.

Most of the apps seem pretty normal

I don't think anybody is blatantly aiming for fetishbait at all to be honest. I don't see where the anger is coming from. I mean, hell, compare it to Carnal Crown and shouldn't he be hoping that Iron Gods can drown it out?

Current game listings

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/82673/iron-gods (Closing in 2 Weeks)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/83053/dominions-of-vice-an-osirion-adventure (Closing in 1 Week)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/83254/carnal-crown (Closing in 3 Weeks)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/81935/essentia-our-last-days (Closing in 2 Weeks)
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/83277/the-fiends-and-intrigues-of-house-karvane (Closing in 1 month)

What do you do if the master decides to attack your group with a lance cavalry charge?

Fly/teleport away?

Quick question I think I already know the answer to.

Constructs such as Wax Golems function correctly in a plane of null magic... right?

Yes, golems and other constructs/creatures like them that are created by magic but not summoned still function in null magic and anti-magic zones.

Yes. Null magic, dead magic, and antimagic areas only affect active spell effects; the only time these areas affect the living states of creatures is if they're summons.

Perfect, thanks.

Follow up question: This means that you couldn't create a Golem from within a null magic area, but rather would have to leave the area, create the Golem, and then return with it, correct?

This is correct, I think

When Starfinder drops I want to try my hand at GMing so the first thing I intend to do is make a meta setting to test out different stuff and act as a teaching scenario for both myself and potential future pcs in the form of a massive VR game world.

One of the boss characters I intend to come up with is essentially a smart Deviljho that can talk and have him be in charge of a giant jurassic part style island with such games as "Can you outrun me before I find you and eat you?" or "I'm feeling lazy today, find me prey worthy to eat and I won't eat you, you have X amount of time to do it in."

Mostly correct; you can't cast the spells you need to make the golem in an antimagic zone. However, if you have a high enough spellcraft check (Or another skill, if you can replace the spellcraft check, such as through the Promethean Disciple discovery), you can bypass the spellcasting components of golem crafting.

Of course, that'd be super fucking hard.

poppets would be simple enought to make

P O P P E T S

How do you balance your enemies against a group that uses Path of War and Spheres?

I want to keep things challenging enough that they don't steamroll everything and start getting bored, so should I just boost enemies' hit points or what?

give enemies PoW and spheres.

"whats good for the goose is good for the gander"

Also known as any resources your players use NPC's also have access too

By and large, have the world involved with that in some way.

The petty thugs, brawlers, and general combat-ready riff-raff are Warriors. Properly trained soldiers and the like are fighters. But when you get into champion level characters, the commanders and the leaders, those are your initiators. A charismatic Warlord leading a warband of savage orc barbarians; the kingsguard is made up of Sworn Protector Warders; the traveling mystic is literally a mystic; The assassin of kings is a Stalker. Initiation is reserved for the exceptional combatants, of whom there should be only a few, but enough that they're much more common than mages in most settings.

As for Spheres... well, if you're getting rid of Vancian casting anyhow, may as well get rid of it for the NPCs too.

Spheres is meh at damage, and often the players will have less tools available to them than as normal casters. Meanwhile while PoW may be a tad overtuned for damage, its mostly focused on fighting singular enemies.

So really, having enemies come in groups that require the players to cooperate should be what you focus on, especailly if said groups of enemies are diverse like the party. Plus, if the enemy team has a caster, then chances are the Casters might start getting into Counterspell Fights considering how easy it is to counterspell in SoP. Plus, by forcing the PoW guys to fighter multiple dude, even if they aren't PoW in can be a hassle for them since they are limited mostly due to needing to spend an Immediate for counters

Even Lan al'Mandragora had a rough time fighting against multiple foes

Ded thread is ded

We deserve death, and should embrace it like a long-lost lover.

Other thread nuked from orbit, so reposting and crossing fingers for a bit of feedback.

pastebin.com/ECqfFHHE

TL;DR: It's a feat to duct-tape certain familiar features (scaling Int modifier, Speak With Master, etc) onto your Animal Companion, at the cost of not being able to take a familiar.

Other thread tanked as I was typing my post, but can an inquisitor get their powers from an ideal or alignment instead of a god, like how a cleric can or most paladins do?

I'm pretty sure tonight is a game night for a lot of people

Reposting this from the deleted thread.

An attempt to fix the Ragechemist.
docs.google.com/document/d/1H8JTDT-ZAcmg2CDD7h7DqKXuNuGcrJwIlML3ble0Vvk/edit?usp=sharing

"With the GM’s approval, an inquisitor can be devoted to an ideal instead of a deity, selecting one domain to represent her personal inclination and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies."

So, was your mom killed by a book, or is there some other reason you refuse to read?

I took some levels in Barbarian back in the days of 3.5 because I wanted to channel my anger into a productive skill like caving skulls in.

That was unnecessarily aggressive of me, I apologize.

It's fine, I actually meant to say thank you in but sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain and send a post before I double-check it.

AWOOOOOO

Fuck off Rory.

Getting more feats and skillpoints on animal companions could be handy, and having an extra pair of eyes and ears that you can converse with never hurts in a narrative sense.

Do animal companions have any archetypes like familiars?

Yes. They're all pretty ass.

they do but they're kind of all shit.

Anons, can you help me decide on a character concept for Carnal Crown? I'm feeling torn between two ideas.

The first is a CN witch doctor of a tribal society who struggles to understand many common expectations of civilized society, such as money and basic public decency, and is fished out of the backwater sticks she called home because she had at one point saved Professor Lorrimor with her warding charms and healing. She venerates ancient spirits and ancestors to draw strength and wisdom from, so considers undead and those that create or control them to not only be abominations put also personal threats to her extended "family".

The second is a LG dhampir who once faithfully served a vampire as a maid until she was betrayed, but went on to become a paladin (with a particular grudge against vampires) after a long period of soul-searching and lessons from priests. Now her only masters are the virtues of LAW and GOODNESS, except for when she needs to make some money in which case she still works as a maid on the side. Such an occasion led to her working for Professor Lorrimor for an extended period.

On a related note, do you think Profession: Maid should cover cooking food?

No?

His name is al'Lan Mandragoran you piece of ignorant cotton

First, since fuck dhampirs. Up to the GM.

Yeah, a maid might clean house, cook food, do chores, run errands, and other miscellaneous stuff, but stuffing all of that under one skill feels like a bit much, especially when some things (cooking, in particular) are common craft or profession skills in their own right.

Well, I'm not completely tied to the idea of her being a dhampir, even though I think it would be pretty neat... Though admittedly, the idea of a vampire-slaying dhampir is a little played out by now, isn't it? Anyway, supposing that she were human instead of dhampir, would your answer change? Or do you see other problems with that concept too?

The first one is great - fuck, I'd want to see her played in a non-lewd campaign, actually. The whole backwoods bog witch with a collection of healing herbs is a trope I want to see more of, and her probably being some busty topless bitch makes it even better.

The second one's got a good thing going with the maid concept... But then you tore it into pretty little lacy pieces with a generic Paladin story. Don't do that, please.

I've never heard of any, got a link?

For the second one, I'm solidly attached to the core of "used to be a vampire's maid, things turned sour, now vampire-hunting maid". The rest of the idea is still pretty pliable, and I admit I just went to Paladin as class because it seemed fitting and sensible for the AP. I could pretty easily do something else like a Slayer, but do you think there's enough to build a good backstory out of with just the core concept I described? There's an easy justification for WHY she became a vampire hunter, but I'll still need to supply one for HOW she did it, if it wasn't "trained by priests". Would it be less generic if, instead of vague priests, it was some old sage or monk that taught her the techniques needed to turn the tables on her old master?

check the animal companions page on the SRD

Honestly, Racer isn't a bad one if you don't mind losing Share Spells, and Charger is good for mounted melee types, as long as you get your GM to agree that it should really give the mount proficiency with the armors it affects.

You... Really didn't care about the first idea, did you? That was just a prepper to get us ready for the second idea bull? I get it, but it still stings.

If you want a good reason to be a vampire-slaying badass, you really need to go full camp with it. Seriously, being some maid-turned-Paladin is corny as hell, you need to OWN it. Maybe she meets a Battle Butler that likes her gumption, and encourages her to join him and his secret society of Vampire-hunting domestic workers.

Maybe their organization is called, "The Help."

How bad would it be if I apped D for Carnal Crown?

I'd give you a D

I can't believe I've never noticed those. You're right, they're all a little underwhelming.

They have to be; there's not a lot they can change about a given animal companion, since it has to modify the table, rather than the beast itself.

I have it on good authority, however, that we'll get some actually interesting stuff for Animal companions out of Ultimate Wilderness in November.

No, I do like the first idea! But you didn't give me anything to work with about it. You told me it's good and described what you like about it, but didn't tell me anything wrong with it. You told me something you think is wrong with the second idea, so I tried to come up with ways to fix that because it seems like the first idea doesn't need fixing.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm asking for advice just to ignore it!

For the witch, I was originally looking into making her a less friendly sort, going for a scary voodoo witch doctor kind of vibe, but the idea metamorphosed into a more benevolent figure. I agree with you, it's a trope that doesn't get explored often enough and I really like the idea of being able to play up her unfamiliarity with social constructs of civilized society most people take for granted everybody understands. If I had to my finger on a single concern about the concept, it would be that I don't think the natives of Ustalav would be so comfortable with her strange, foreign ways and that make social situations really hard to deal with. Also, I saw her more like the shaman of a tribe than the midwife of a rural village, and although Ustalav probably has lots of the latter I don't think it's got much of the former? Though, maaaaybe something like that could exist in Virlych? That feels like a stretch, but its wastelands are the first place in Ustalav that springs to my mind when trying to figure out where you could find a tribal clan of primitives.

I really hope so.

You should use Anna for your cute socially inept witch!

What if she's got a Varisian mother and is the village recluse? You know, that weird woman who lives out in the forest, accumulating all sorts of nasty rumors related to her... Well, everything. Won't be a painted up hussy, but she'll certainly be lascivious, socially dim and ill-tempered!

>The whole backwoods bog witch with a collection of healing herbs is a trope I want to see more of, and her probably being some busty topless bitch makes it even better.
UNF

What's a good build for a Fighter who wants to ambush his enemies like the Rogue?

Slayer

Something odd I just noticed while inputting the Psionic races from Bloodforge (Rana, Thrallspawn, Lasher, Lurker).

None of them have the "Psionic Aptitude" racial trait that allows them to select a power point as a favored class bonus, despite ostensibly being "psionic" races, with Rana and Thrallspawn even getting Wild Talent as a bonus feat.

Is this just an inconsistency on DSP's part or am I crazy? The Zealot FCB for the Rana and Thrallspawn DOES say "+1 Power Point" but it's only for the ZEALOT and not any other psionic class? I feel like I should have an editor's note saying that those races, with the Psionic subtype and the Naturally Psionic racial trait, ought to also have Psionic Aptitude, but I don't wanna overstep my bounds as an SRD-fag. What's your take on it, /pgg/?

I have to imagine that even then she'd be at least passingly familiar with some of the social norms that I'm hoping to play her up as clueless about. But if she were raised by a mother like that, one who wants to keep her daughter isolated from the outside world... That could frame a decent background for her being so socially inept. And if, perhaps, her mother isn't very nice at all, that'd give a good reason for her to leave that life behind!

I wasn't planning on making her a changeling, but when I consider that idea, she could easily be a changeling... and it's not like changelings don't make great witches.

Oh, that's a lovely picture. I was planning on delving into my character art folder after deciding which concept I want to pursue, but I'm just going to not-so-discreetly save that image. I could see myself using this for the witch character, if I go that route. Thanks, user!

>Oh, that's a lovely picture. I was planning on delving into my character art folder after deciding which concept I want to pursue, but I'm just going to not-so-discreetly save that image. I could see myself using this for the witch character, if I go that route. Thanks, user!
A pleasure to be of assistance. As I was reading the idea I couldn't help but think "I've got some great art for that one."

Changelings make great witches, are uncomfortably common in Ustalav, and would fit perfectly with the idea of her being strange, socially aloof and awkward - maybe she even lived with her hag mother, which would mean utter separation from a "proper" upbringing, her only connections to the real world being the occasional man her mother brings in for a mate or meal.

I have to be honest, that landscape and the crow and the rain make me like the picture at least as much as the actual character in the picture does. She seems a bit of an odd sort for a full caster, wandering around with a blood-splattered sword in hand. Are there any archetypes or builds for a witch that would wander around with a sword like that?

Yeah that's pretty much how I was thinking about it. It all fits together so nicely that I'm honestly kind of surprised I didn't think of it myself before! I guess I was tunnel visioning towards the idea of her being the shaman/witch doctor of some human tribe out in the wilderness somewhere.

Are there any traits or archetypes that could give let a barbarian be Lawful? I'm trying to play a paladin with one level in barbarian, but I'm not finding anything about Lawful barbarians.

Be a Bloodrager

Bloodrager, VMC barbarian can both be lawful

...Oh shit, that's right! I completely forgot about bloodrager somehow, thanks Veeky Forums!

So for my Iron Gods character I am thinking for a reason the technic league abducted my character's daughter.

I'm thinking possibly she was exposed to numerian fluids my character took care of her, she was snatched up by the technic league as a sample.

Don't feel bad. Paizo did the same thing.

YAMETE
IT HURTS

Poor, poor hybrid classes.

Nah, they're still getting stuff. For instance, Bloodragers recently got access to this awesome shit at the same time as sorcerers.

Plus, most of them can outright steal shit from their parent classes.

Yea, Bloodrager isn't Slayer after all :^U

I reached the point in the home brew where all the main ideas are on paper and the only thing left is to start crunching the numbers.

any tips or encouragement.

Here's some encouragement!

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Remember! Connie and I are cheering for you!