Critical Role Thread

What other overpowered boons will be handed to Vox Machina?

How do you watch Critical Role (and similar shows like RollPlay)?

Podcasts I understand since you can listen to them while commuting, but video is a whole different matter.

Do you sit and watch it for hours? Do you have it up on a second monitor while you do something else? Do you have it playing in the background and you occasionally switch back to it?

>Do you sit and watch it for hours?
yeah
>Do you have it playing in the background and you occasionally switch back to it?
yes, usually i'll browse Veeky Forums while it plays in a different tab. when something funny or tense is happening i'll watch it

i hope everyone is enjoying their weekly virtue signaling fan art

oops

CR falls into my work hours on Friday. I put it on the second screen and listen to it half-assedly while coding and fiddling with hardware. If I miss something and the cast bursts into laughing - I hit that sweet Alpha's 'Roll back 30 seconds' button and watch the missed part again.

Darin De Paul is guesting tonight. What do you guys think he'll play?

I paint my models. Just watching it is fucking boring.

>12 minutes late

they've had a bad habit of being behind schedule lately

you know, people always say skip the intro, but Sam's sponsor shilling is always funny as hell

>Darin De Paul
who?

Voice actor for Reinhardt from Overwatch and Judge Dredd from the recent cartoon. Expect big boasting brute with all traits of the 'Big Ham' trope.

What's their current quest? Prime trammel? Is this so they can meet Ioun?

My guess is the NPC they're going to meet that has the key to Ioun's plane is the guest player for tonight.

ioun is the brain behind the prime trammel i think, they're still in the meeting gods and figuring shit out phase

The prime trammel is basically so they can trap Vecna if they end up taking too long, and he actually becomes a god.

Knowing the way the rest of the party beyond Travis and Sam treat timed challenges, they're gonna need it since they're gonna take forever.

What's the problem with the production today? The audio is all over the place.

somehow a show making a channel hundreds of thousands of dollars a month that has been going on for 2 years cant hire audio engineers that aren't complete retards

>hundreds thousands of dollars a month

nigger, are you serious? they're not payed NEARLY that much

the show makes geek and sundry hundreds of thousands a month from twitch subs alone, considering they have like 35-40 thousand, and i'd guess 90% of those are for critical role

Can't forget the Alpha thing

>What do you guys think he'll play?
Reinhardt. He'll just play Reinhardt. Guaranteed.

i'd be shocked if alpha brings in five thousand dollars a month in subs, that site is a fucking disaster

I think the last I remember them showing their sub count, it was ~32k people. Assuming they get the bare minimum of 50% of sub money given to them (odds are they get more of the cut OR have a deal set up with Twitch for G&S owners) they get at least $80,000 a month (before taxes).

I would suspect that most of that money goes into the G&S owner's pockets or gets invested back into the stage/sets.

If memory serves, they've gone through two different sound & set design crew members (a total of 6-9 people).

I hope this arc isn't as gigantic as the conclave arc, would be awesome if they explore the planes more too, maybe going to sigil or the Infinite Staircase

There's not way this arc lasts as long as chroma conclave, matt has made it clear that vecna wont just sit back and wait for VM to come to him, he's the smartest villain they faced, and if they don't put things into action soon, they're gonna have to kill a god

why is marisha crying?

>vax has the boots back

Gotta ham it up for the camera while Vax is talking about death.

Assuming you "begin" the arc with them going to the other corrupted ziggurat and meeting Delilah, we're on episode 5 or 6 of this arc so far. I'd imagine they talk to Ioun in this episode, probably go talk to Kord for Grog in the next one along with final preparation of the fight, and the next episode is the final fight with Vecna, and a "epilogue" episode where chat gets to ask the cast + crew 'behind the scenes' stuff and a battle royale with everyone at level 20.

Vax scene was emotional

>he will ask about sneak attack again

On the one hand, Marisha tends to cry or get sad/emotional at almost every emotional scene.

On the other, it's an interesting discussion about how a Revenant can ponder death, especially when they know that the completion of their goal will lead to their perma-death.

rekt

Okay this guy's pretty good. How do we substitute him for Marisha?

i love this

Seconded.

not even close

what is this thread even about? what the fuck is happening lmao

it's a twitch dnd show

This dude is fucking awesome.

link?

twitch tv -> geek and sundry

Works as inspiration for my setting, thanks bro.

it's episdoe 105 of a 3-4 hour show. are you sure?

WAIT THE CHAT IS SAYING FUTURE SCANLAN WHAT DID HE SAY TO SUGGEST THIS I HAD TO ANSWER THE DOOR

i've never seen the show stolen by such a performance before, he's destroying every other guests they've ever had

If Veeky Forums says its great then I have to, don't I? Otherwise I will miss out on the memes.

check out the geek and sundry youtube channel

It is basically a group of actors pretending to play D&D and people like it for some reason

This is perfect. This guest has watched every episode (he said so himself) and knows everything about them and has built it into his character. I love this.

He said something to the effect of, "I am your future."

I get the feeling he meant it less in a literal sense, and more in the metaphorical sense of, "the adventurers who survive their journeys."

I personally think he's just Scanlan's father.

just got here

who is this guest PC?

Darin De Paul. VA of Reinhardt in Overwatch. Self-admitted fan of Critical Role who has watched all the episodes.

the only reason i keep watching this is for the mostly great voice acting these people bring to their characters.

Why is there a guy in a fucking suit? He looks old as shit what the fuck?

Are you retarded? Read the fucking thread.

>everyone gets to ask who he is but when I do it I am the retarded one
Fuck me

see

Why is he a fan of this? doesn't he have a life? He should be taking care of her daughter or something.

Why is he playing a young adult's hobby?

He is very charismatic

>Why is he playing a young adult's hobby?

He's been playing for 30+ years, presumably since he was a young adult.

Good question, dumbass.

marisha is shiiiit

He's got a huge boner for theater and improvisation, has shitload of experience in both and D&D alike, so CR is like the best thing for the guy. He actually was behind the scenes on Trial of the Take episodes.

i hope this scene ends soon, not because i don't like it but because i want this to end on a high note and not be drawn out

>High note
Yeah about that

Matt granted your wish.

Its over? This was shit guys. BYE!

The white woman skeleton looked like she was reading a script

where did the voice come from?

of all the episodes to be having guests it's got to be the best one in a while and i can't focus... ;__;

Well, looks like you got your wish.

I think one part of Vecna's plan just got revealed: he doesn't know the spell/ritual to make him a god, but Ioun does, and the person who knows Ioun's location is Sprigg, the guest NPC. So Vecna's about to drop a lieutenant on their location to kidnap the little Gnome and whisk him back to Vecna's lair for some good, old-fashioned mind rape torture.

>taking a break
>be back soon

you are an absolute retard and nothing you say matters. good riddance and never return

It's Vecna. He did a similar thing when the group first met him a few episodes back, talking in their heads all at once telepathically.

I think the only time Vecna actually spoke was the Counterspell from Scanlan to counter Vecna's Counterspell on Keyleth's Plane Shift.

Vecna said, "... What?"

vecna just used scry on grog and now he knows where sprigg, presumably the key to ioun, is

Ok, I popped in just as they entered spriggs house, what did I miss?

My guess he just scryed on the group as a whole, and Matt's going to handwave it by saying that Vecna's Scrying spell is older/better than the current version (which, admittedly, is probably true).

>$200 tickets for a dnd session that will probably be streamed for free

why

well i think i saw grog role a die for some reason, matt probably texted him to roll a saving throw for scry, and considering vecna is smart, he probably realized that grog had the highest chance to fail that saving throw

Autistic SJWs who want to see the cuck squad in person.

Prior to them getting to Sprigg's house?

> They plane shifted to Terra, the Earth Ashari's location, being the nearest location to the area of Sprigg's house, and spent the night there after talking w/ the Ashari there and warning them about Vecna.
> Vex gave the boots back to Vax while the two pondered the imminent mortality issue of Vax being on borrowed time as a Revenant.
> Next day, they Wind Walk'ed to the area where Sprigg's house is, and succeeded on some DC checks to find it and not get pummeled by traps set up outside the place.

Good to know, thanks.

That's possible too.

If so, it's possible that Vecna "saw" the curse on Grog where he has a -2 to all his saves because of the Deck of Many Things, and went like, "ooh, this'll be easy, let these bumbling idiots to all the leg work for me."

nah, he mocked them each time he casted power word kill and disintegrate

can you even defend against scrying from an epic level wizard? even if they had planned against it, what could they have done?

Encase all your hidden mcguffins in rooms of lead.

i hope matt is playing vecna like this, because VM have never really faced a smart villain of this magnitude before
raishan was smart, but there was only so much she could do, and i don't think she had huge ambitions

so far he's the best guest, and he seems like a swell guy

>this signal boost has no feminism bullshit

thank god

Honestly there's not a whole lot they could have done. The casters of the group (Pike and Keyleth) might know the spell Nondetection, which is meant to prevent Scrying stuff, but that might not work against Vecna's level of magic power.

i mean Scrying per the 5e phb is supposed to give a save, but it's probably some plot scry spell.

Based Darin.

Darrin DePaul said in character that speaking with Sun Trees is foolish; I laughed so hard when I saw her mouth gape open

My guess is Raishan was meant to be played as a wily backstabber whose main goal was to cure the soul curse inflicted upon her body, and was willing to do whatever it took to find said cure.

Vecna's goal is to become a god, and he's been very patient for a very long time. But now that he's on the move and "in public" about it, this is when he's at his most vulnerable. But it's an epic level Lich Wizard, so vulnerability is relative.

Guy who is a fan of the show and has watched every episode playing a "champion" of Ioun, Goddess of Knowledge.

I love how that played out.

IF he is future scanlan, how would you react?

i'm gonna go out on a limb but i think it's probably impossible for grog to save against vecna's dc 24 scry even rolling a 20, and i'm sure vecna knew that

I saw Travis roll for something but he wasn't asked to by Matt. He reacted negatively. Couldn't Grog be the target of a Scry, he couldn't resist it with a spell dc 23.

Matt has house ruled that nat 20's are auto-saves in most cases (usually on Saving Throws, not for skill checks), and nat 1's are auto-fails.

that's how i do it

that's started to change a bit recently though, especially against someone like vecna

So is Vecna just scrying every hour to see where they are? I'm sure grog cant resist it, but the timing seems meta-y

So when DePaul made the joke about the Sun Tree, did Marisha literally start tearing up because of that? How sensitive is she, geesh...