/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: →
>Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/always-darkest-before-the-era-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Best "Everything nearly went horribly wrong but didn't" stories?
>5th editons cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

The Cult of the Doomsday Clock might have an answer. That said, you probably wouldn't like the answer or the price.

Just a friendly reminder that Tremere are the best vampires.

Just a friendly reminder that you're a fag.

>The best vampires are mages.
Mage supremacy wins again.

Could a Tremere turn himself into a lawn chair?

How exactly do you detect if something has abyssal taint?

I suppose Mage Sight with Prime should do it but it seems a bit easy to obtain and use and would spoil a few plots. Also, how does this work with Scelesti? If you can just detect an evil mage by using Mage Sight its a bit silly.

Well I have an "everything went horribly wrong" story, I hope that's good enough
>be vampire
>investigating [plot element] at a scientific facility
>3 of us in the car
>Mekhet makes the whole car invisible while I drive
>fail my driving roll
>ask to make it a dramatic failure
>we hit a fire hydrant, car goes visible, everyone sees us
>oh shit how do we explain a car that just appeared out of nowhere
>decide to yell "For the glory of ISIS!" so they don't pin this on vampires
>mfw I realize what I just did
>Mekhet goes invisible and runs away
>me and the other guy flee from security forces into the sewers
>fail rolls to spook the pursuing cops
>other vampire shrugs and tells me I'm on my own before he uses Face in the Crowd to escape
>mfw captured by lowly humans with large guns
>mfw transferred to some shitty facility
>mfw it turns out Mages intercepted me en route to Gitmo
>mfw they inscribe some magic shit on me so they can keep tabs on me while they force me to do their dirty work
Unfortunately the game ended for unrelated reasons so I never got to resolve that.

Once upon a time I saw a fanmade pdf with a lot of npc for VtM, can someone upload it?

Path of Elemental Mastery level 4 was created specifically for that.

What were you doing that required a drive roll?

I don't remember exactly. If I had to guess I'd say we may have been trying to access some area not normally accessible by car by driving through narrow corridors or something.

>Best "Everything nearly went horribly wrong but didn't" stories?

One time i almost read/run beast.....but i didnt.

Why do people hate Beast so much? The release version+Conquering Heroes fixed most of the bullshit.

Abyssal taint appears in the nimbus, so I think if a Scelestus wanted to be incognito they would have to cloak or alter their nimbus.

it's still bad the line itself is boring as fuck.

Do we have any idea when we are going to get like, a playtest of Deviant?

Anyone know of any Dark Ages homebrew that they'd be willing to share?

>Why do people hate Beast so much? The release version+Conquering Heroes fixed most of the bullshit

Did it give Beasts a sense of self-awareness and made heroes playable?

Kind of yeah actually.

no not at all.

Which is the truth and which is tricksy Beast lies?

Hey TG, I'm new to WoD and my entire group, myself included, are hardcore Magefags. Our DM wants to run a game where we play something other than unstoppable reality benders. What race would you recommend?

Demon, where you are just near unstoppable reality exploiters.

Mummmy, where you're unstoppable reality rewriters

>mages, unstoppable reality benders
>demons, unstoppable reality exploiters

I think he's looking for something other than that, user

>mummies, unstoppable reality rewriters

This too, why pick any of the three strongests. Playing something weaker can be more enjoyable.

Vampire, where you are very much stoppable and have little to no reality powers.

Hunters. About as far from it that's an actual splat.

>Playing something weaker can be more enjoyable

NO, YOUFOOL.
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND.
I MUST BE THE BEST.

CofD splat power level tier list?
Tier 1: Mage
Tier 2: Demon, Mummy
Tier 3: Geist, Changeling
Tier 4: Werewolf, Promethean, Vampire, Beast
Tier 5: Hunter
Seem accurate?

Archmage, where you are unstoppable even to unstoppables.

I WANT TO BE
THE VERY BEST

But user
if you make your dick too powerful
you'll run out of pussy that can satisfy
you have to build it up more

There was a nice tier list a while back, with four ranks

Beasts are stronger than vampires.

God Tier
>Archmage

Top Tier
>Prep Mage
>Loud Demon
>Fresh Mummy

Middle Tier
>Mage
>Demon
>Sin-Eater
>Mummy
>Werewolf
>Beast
>Changeling

Lower Tier
>Promethean
>Vampire
>Surprised Mage
>Prep Hunter
>Hunter

Are vamps the weakest actual supernatural splat?

>Which is the truth and which is tricksy Beast lies?

Lets compromise, say they tried to do all those things and as it is OPP we are talking about here, they failed miserably

Tier 1: Mage
Tier 2: Demon, Mummy
Tier 3: Geist
Tier 4: Werewolf, Beast, Changeling, Promethean, Vampire
Tier 5: Hunter

>mfw mage will always be the only splat to have a god tier template

>Surprised Mage
Not a thing anymore unless you have more magic than the mage. The differences between orep and no prep are less than you'd think as well. I like dave b and mages. The 2e core is a well written book but he fucking blew it on 2e.

It's not like the other splats (except for maybe Demon) actually -need- a god-tier Template.

As DaveB has mentioned previously, it's an entirely thematic topic. Not all gamelines require it.

Mages can still be surprised in Awakening, it's just not an easy thing to accomplish.

>The 2e core is a well written book but he fucking blew it on 2e.
This is where I take off the gloves and slap you silly. No Mage edition, old or new, has ever been as coherent as 2e has been so far.

I honestly think Changeling should be a lot stronger thematically speaking, if they can turn into true fae and stuff at power level 10. I hope 2e buffs them a bit.

Beast will get their god tier incarnate template in the players guide, so the ugly step child game will be the only other one with anything comparable to 'gods'/

Changelings are fine as they are, the big gap between their capabilities and that of the True Fae is what's thematic about it.

True Fae are -supposed- to be leagues above their victims. Very few playables can take them on reliably.

What is Time 1?

We already know a good deal on Incarnates. They're not Tier 4 worthy.

Tier 4 Templates are world enders/benders.
They're still the closest another splat has got, other than Changeling.

But if they turn into true fae at highest power shouldn't they be pretty close to that then?

Not all Mages have Time 1.

Cabals fix that.

Changeling or Hunter.

Can a non-archmage mage fight a true fae?

It's coherent. It's not very balanced. In the sense that two master mages can blow each other up with one spell without any fight. It's not even about WW v mages it's unbalanced and just not fun to play mage at the higher end spectrum.

True Fae were rank 7 entities according to Imperial Mysteries. They would be on par with lesser Archmages.

If they have Fate and/or Matter, yes.

Changeling isn't *that* weak, Vampire is probably weaker.

These two statements contradict each other.

If you're looking for epic wizard duels, you've come to the wrong place. "wizard duels" are quick and vicious. Vile and ruthless.
It's part of why magic is so scary, you -know- what your equals (even lesser) are capable of. Archmages are even more terrifying, as they're practically impervious even to Masters.

Master mages fight their peers like a magical cold war.

It's different. Becoming a True Fae isn't a sliding scale or anything. A 9-Wyrd Changeling is strong and stuff, but he's not even close to a True Fae.

When you hit 10 Wyrd and your Clarity is low enough you pass an impassable threshold. After that, you're just ideas. It reduces you to an archetype that is more "you" than you ever were, but also much less at the same time. That's where the power comes from, that break from reality and truth.

You can fix so much of mage 2e with one simple houserule, level 5 disciplines don't ignore withstand.

True Fae are weird, they can only be killed by their flaws, similar to Idigam.

These "flaws" are easy to come by for certain mages

And that makes it boring when you have a party of masters because what one can't do the other 4 will do with ease. 1e mages had fantastic spells but still had issues blasting each other.

I believe it was mentioned that powerful Changelings have a good chance against a True Fae, assuming it's outside of Arcadia/Hedge.

It's not boring to me. Classical wizard duels are always the same.

This is more realistic for me. Magic, if it existed, would be horrific in application.
Seeing an actual lengthy duel between two Masters means they're just THAT good.

The True Fae practically lose their 6+ rank status when they're on Ironside.

They're very exploitable out of their comfort zone.

What's their rank in the hedge, and what is it on earth?

You could definitely make an argument for it. Lots of easily exploitable weaknesses that aren't exactly top secret, and their powers don't pack any really special or especially hefty punches.

I like to imagine that they're rank 7, as described in Imperial Mysteries.

Outside of the Hedge/Arcadia, they're still formidable but not entirely unbeatable, certainly no more than a rank 5 entity.

Why don't the Freehold/Courts hire Mages proficient in Fate to help them deal with the Gentry?

There are Changeling experts among the Orders, after all.

Who even needs fate when you can steal some rich old persons fire poker and/or fence.

I bet Mages are more interested in brokering deals with the Gentry themselves.

>Surprised Mage

Demon Storyteller's Guide, p. 130

"Fragile enough when surprised, but surprising one is easier said than done"

If Demons find mages dangerous, few others really stand a chance.

They're rather close at lower-to-mid levels.
An Archmage could graft unto his Template all the capabilities of the True Fae, or make himself a Cold Iron bitch-slapping god.

The question the Archmage is thinking though
>"Do I really want to go through all the effort to track down the Quintessence? I still have other, more prevalent Obsessions..."

Archmages can triumph over anything, they're just rarely inclined to do so. Assuming it isn't relevant to their long term goals.

You'd have to be offering a pretty hefty sum to even get a Mage's attention, and then offer a whole lot more to deal with something like the Gentry.

>Not all Mages have Time 1.
>Cabals fix that.

Indeed. Mages are scary players in the CofD, but messing with an entire mixed cabal is effectively suicide by mage... if you're lucky.

Archmages aren't all that terrifying because they can hardly do anything themselves. They have 500 other Archmages and assorted cosmic entities in a MAD Mexican Standoff 24/7
Yeah you can't do shit to them but they can't really do much to you directly either.

Cabals are also a great thing for Storytelling too.

All members probably develop close bonds (or at least great respect and value) due to how appreciative they are of the other's Arcana.

A secondary family, if you will.

You might as well label every god-tier being as "not all that terrifying", user.
Archmages aren't the only ones bound by the Pax. Every 6+ entity is under its influence.

There's also never more than a hundred Seekers at a time. More fail the Threshold than succeed.

If your Cabal happens to have a Master of Space, barely any action will be needed for magical retribution.

Create Sympathy is such an overpowered spell.

How long has it been since we had a thread entirely devoid of anything Mage related?

>500 other Archmages
less then a 100.

Changelings are insular and paranoid by nature. Would you trade away one of your dearest friends to someone who has an equal chance of befriending them or vivisecting them?

>and assorted cosmic entities

>10% of the setting
>each thread can have 310 posts

>If your Cabal happens to have a Master of Space

If the cabal has a master of anything, you're fucked. Masters are pathologically obsessive WMD's that can easily defeat most non-mage or demigod-level adversaries by themselves. If they have some mage buddies along for the ride, just hope they're satisfied with just killing you, as there are many alternatives that are far worse.

>The Pack, p. 53
>"interfering with a mage is a great way to find out which fates are worse than death."

>Would you trade away one of your dearest friends for vivisection?

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made...

>Don't make deals with mages, it will not end well for you.

You mean the last time we had a totally stale thread moving at a snail's pace?

In fairness, this is hardly the freshest content either, given that this 'how powerful are mages' stuff has been covered a couple of times in the past by /wodg/.

It's always re-ignited by the deniers.

There will never be a thread unstained by the filth that is Mage.

>deniers start it
>yet mage is the problem
????

If it wasn't Mage you guys would whinge about something else.

I acknowledge Mage supremacy.

I just don't like it.

this?

Eh. I'm fine with acknowledging Mage supremacy. Like, sure, they're the most powerful splat. Fine, that's a fact of life. It's not like any reasonable person would bring a Mage into a Vampire game, and only a complete fucking idiot of a ST would let someone play a Mage in a multisplat party. Practically, Mage supremacy should never really upset a game.

Yes, they fixed it.. with dick eggs.

Fuck Supernal Magic, that's the real power.

And what's your favorite splat, perchance?

I hope these threads never leave Mage behind.

My life is hollow without Mage supremacy.
How else will I convince myself that I matter?

Damn you Chad.

Go fuck yourself, Francis.

On Earth, easily. Hedge is neutral ground, but arcadia is bend over and grab your wizard ankles.

Promethean