/osrg/ "It's basically TSR D&D"

>Prior:
Trove: pastebin.com/QWyBuJxd
Game finder?: discord.gg/qaku8y9
Blogosphere: pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L
In-Browser Tools: pastebin.com/KKeE3etp

>Captured spellbooks as dungeons?
()
>What should Sqwerplels riff/spiff next?
()
Does the first staircase go up or go down?

Other urls found in this thread:

melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/07/mechanism-for-casually-introducting.html
wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-glog-character-creation.html
falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2013/03/occultum.html
pastebin.com/16TvLTv3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So which retroclone is the best

Depends on what system it's retrocloning and what you're looking for.

I have that issue of Dragon

Pre-3e Dragon is criminally underappreciated.

>Captured spellbooks as dungeons?
Absolutely! Not something to be overused, but definitely an idea I'd steal for a one-time thing.

Unless maybe you're running a game all about wizards seeking out the rarest and most well-guarded spells in the world... which sounds pretty rad.

>go inside items to unlock more power
Yes, I too have played Disgaea.

Why does the OSR hate Giants? Is it a sizism thing?

The only thing I know about Disgaea is that it involves lots of grinding and needlessly big numbers. Oh, and penguins, I guess?

Why would anyone hate the guys? They just happen to be so powerful that you can't use them really for a long while, or they'll pulp your entire party. Even stupid hill giants are too dangerous to mess with, though it can be a daring adventure to trick and/or rob one.

Verbeeg and Firbolg, or other smaller giant-kin, are much safer to use against lower-end parties. Cyclopskin are pretty suitable too, even for swarms (though they are pretty strong).

Scrap Princess is doing my arts.

Map user, if you want to have your name/blog/deviantart page in the ToTSK module, you've got 1 week.

Otherwise, I'm naming you as "Pervy Molesto, the Goat-Fiddler"

How does /osrg/ do NPC's? Are they pre-planned interactions and set pieces or would you roll for which NPC might randomly meet with the party?

I prefer the latter and like to draw from both a general pool of NPC's and a secondary pool of NPC's already met for further later chance encounters.
melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/07/mechanism-for-casually-introducting.html

Take a look. It's in a book. A thieving rainboooow.

I like it.

>54312272
Terophidians
Flavour: meat is white fat, crunchy, crystalized magic. Cancer-rancid. Flesh is like a paper bag soaked in sweat.
Notes: as Beholder, but with the spells replaced with whatever spells the Terophidian can cast. If you go insane, you believe you are the wizard who created the Terophidian. You might be right.

Terophidian Minions
Flavour: chicken soaked in urine, then poorly cooked
Notes: as Normal Meat with a -4 penalty. They make you queasy.

>Flavour: rots your tongue on contact, so no one knows.
I refuse to believe no biomancer has decided to find out.

>I refuse to believe no biomancer has decided to find out.
Can't list every edge case. If you really must know, it tastes like grape jelly. And then death. You missed a spot.

>This doom can be avoided by eating the hearts of 100 species,
Come to think of it, looted biomancer spell books are probably full of notes on eating monsters.

>Come to think of it, looted biomancer spell books are probably full of notes on eating monsters.
Only higher level ones. Dooms never bother the low-level riff-raff. But yes. Cookbook spellbooks, gastronomical abominations, with cutlery spines and cutting-board backs.

I shilled the idea of a magic system that didn't use spell levels, instead using burning multiple prepared spells of the same type to increase the power.

Is there any good way to do this? Any ideas on implementation, or just write up a nice table for each spell?

Write them out in a bingo grid, drop a few d4s on there. The number shown on the die usually has some meaning, e.g. there are 2 City Guards in the tavern today.

Thanks Zak S.

Starting this thread off with OC. 50 reasons to actually go into dungeons, semi-loosely organized by level or low to medium to high fantasy the higher the numbers go.

These are great, Fiddybro. "Local murderers recover grain sack" cracked me up.

That's literally something Greenwood would talk about at GenCon seminars in the mid-90s.

Which part?

Shit dude, you're basically in the Club 33 of OSR now. Why do you hang out here still?

You guys are nice.

Besides, G+ is full of people who know what they're doing. Veeky Forums is full of people who don't know what they're doing. Which group can benefit more from my stuff?

>Imagine a classroom where everyone believes they’re the teacher and everyone else is students. They all fight each other for space at the blackboard, give lectures that nobody listens to, assign homework that nobody does. When everyone gets abysmal test scores, one of the teachers has an idea: I need a more engaging curriculum. Sure. That’ll help.
>Scott Alexander

Heh!

Are there any full retro-clones that are genuinely open source? I want to make a cRPG. It will be available for free/pay-what-you-want.

>Are there any full retro-clones that are genuinely open source?
Considering that retroclones need the OGL to get around uses of what would otherwise be other companies' IP, no.

Can one use the OGL in a computer game or only in tabletop games? If it's okay to use it in a PC game, then what system can I use (as long as I abide by the OGL) without getting my shit sued?

I think even putting it as PWYW would count as commercial use, which is why I want to be careful.

Nethack (a roguelike) is pretty similar to AD&D as I recall. Somehow that's survived.

Though they change the rules slightly to better fit computer architecture rather than tabletop architecture.

Does the /osrg/ like setting books? I mean, like, the old AD&D-style setting books, the best thing to come out of that period of TSR, shit like Al-Qadim and Spelljammer. I don't mean the specific settings themselves, but the idea of the big, organized block of rules and fluff to read, run in, or pillage.

Is there a, I guess "market", for that kind of thing among /osrg/ and osr blogs?

I can use the OGL for a computer game:

wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123f

>The definition of Open Game Content also provides for "any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content." You can use the Open Game License for any kind of material you wish to distribute using the terms of the License, including fiction, artwork, maps, computer software, etc.

>Can one use the OGL in a computer game
There's a Pathfinder MMO in the works so assume you could use it in vidya. Just make a very visible button on the options tab that links to your copy of the license.

>what system can I use (as long as I abide by the OGL) without getting my shit sued?
I'd say the safest bet is probably Basic Fantasy since it's more of a community project.

Sure. Obviously people liked it, that's why setting books were put out and expanded on. Everyone's got a setting to sell, though, so it'd have to be pretty unique to get noticed.

Alright, for a computer game, point buy, array, or rolling? And if rolling, should I allow unlimited rerolls or just be like, "here's five, pick one," or what?

Maybe 3 lurkers have blown in since last thread. If we're lucky.
Everyone here was here last thread.
Everyone here was here when you decided that.

I liked how Beast of Conveyence just got bigger and got more (but interesting) bells and whistles.
For the opposite reason, I didn't like how Seeking Projectile stopped doing what it used to. It was a pain to follow how it worked.

If you really, really liked that Seeking Projectile, then consider "drawing inspiration" from Rolemaster's Spell Law.
...I can't seem to find a good PDF of it, but I have before. Here's the names for each List and Spell? Which I guess is all you'd need for actual inspiration.

>So which retroclone is the best
ACKS

>Imagine a classroom where everyone believes they’re the teacher and everyone else is students
We've all been through highschool. On the other hand, your quote would be a neat wizard order.

Arrows of Indra and Dark Albion seem to sell reasonably. I'd consider buying them (assuming they were actually good) but only to pillage for ideas for my own settings, though, myself. But that's mostly because I like building settings and I don't like running in settings where I don't have creative control.

This is /osrg/, not /pgg/ or /5eg/. Rolling, 3d6 in order, no rerolls. This shouldn't even be a question.

>This shouldn't even be a question.
And yet, it is.

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-glog-character-creation.html

>glog

But in a video gayme people would just delete their characters if they git a bad roll.

The actual algorithms for determining combat, etc aren't protected as IP. It's stuff like original monsters, actual word for word text produced by TSR, etc that's protected.

I'd be more concerned about crossing into stuff that's protected IP (like using the word Ilithid to describe a race of tentacle faced braineaters, or setting it in a city called Grayhawk).

I'm curious--are you just making a dungeoncrawler/roguelike? Or do you have some ideas for gameplay that extends beyond kill monsters/solve puzzles/get loot?

Some of the most interesting entries in the genre are setting books. Qelong, Veins of the Earth, etc. Most of the good stuff in the OSR is weird new settings and adventure modules.

that sounds fun

Hide the roll.

I'll give you that, but only because I like that system. It's still rolling with no rerolls though. (Though I think the original version of that was several times better.) Also .

Don't tell them how stats are determined, then. Just give them stats. I don't think I've ever restarted a game of Nethack for bad stats, I barely even notice. Also, so what if they do restart for bad stats?

Ah, fair enough. But if is making a game, then you won't really be using word-for-word text and probably have different monsters as well.

If you were creating a wizard society where the currency was secrets what tiers of value would they have?

>inb4 bottom secret and top secret

tell me more about your bottom secrets

>Or do you have some ideas for gameplay that extends beyond kill monsters/solve puzzles/get loot?
There'll also be hirelings with morale as well as their own goals/tendencies, and resource management will be a major factor.

This is a big project. Probably my primary solo hobby for the next couple years.

You're right. I was trying to give it more uses and make it more flashy and high powered, but maybe keep it to simple volleys and single blasts.

Now all I need to figure out is how to organize and decide the spell power tiers per spell slots burned on a spell. That's my issue right now; obviously a Magician won't be able to cast a 9th Circle Spell effect until he's level 16, and that would be all of his power until he recharges. But he can recharge and cast as much as he wants, so what's a good balance here? It's just a troublesome lot is all.

So what system is better to run a more story based osr campaign?

2e

Any of them. The easy rules and referee first mentality allows for most OSR games to be run as fairly 'story based' with a mechanical background.

15750 gossips = 2625 misgivings = 840 guilts = 210 conspiracies = 120 delusions = 7 glamours

8 misgivings and 5 gossips are enough for 7 day's food and shelter.
Secrets convert to higher denominations if you watch them too closely.
Secrets of the 1st Estate are as worthless as they are widespread.
10 guilts of the 2nd Estate are almost worth a gossip.

Trade Secrets are only appraised in less pretend money.
Military secrets are worth a spy's ransom.

is 2e really a good game or just a meme?

It's AD&D 1e but a bit worse, and designed for story campaigns.

What is the best system to run wilderlands of high fantasy?

The 3e material would work well enough for DCC.
The odnd material works fine with basic, and passably with advanced.

Whispered Hint
Cryptic Clue
Appalling Secret
Extraordinary Implication
Uncanny Incunabulum
Searing Enigma
Dreadful Surmise
Impossible Theorem

And Journal of Infamy between Appalling secret and Implications.

Where do Dank Memes fit in?

is there a big difference from 3e to 3.5?

between clue and secret

Some people eat locusts. Nothing wrong with it. Honestly, how you generate your numbers on your sheet is one of the least important OSR parts. It helps with the feel, sure, but only a little bit.

Point buy is right out though.

Occultum.

Alternatively, any of the Homeric Metals (the opposite of the Noble Gasses. Noble Gasses don't react, Homeric Metals fight /everything/). They make francium look tame.

Also a good system.

>What is Dwarf Fortress
>Darkest Dungeon
>Most Roguelikes
>Some Roguelites

We've successfully used Basic and 1E AD&D in the Wilderlands setting. Both work fine with dungeoneering and hex-crawling.

is Champions of zed in the trove?

>Occultum.

What is occultum?

falsemachine.blogspot.ca/2013/03/occultum.html

Do you think the later spell selections in here would work with ACKS?
pastebin.com/16TvLTv3

No. When was the trove even last fucking updated?

What's /osr/ working on today?

Monster Menu-All Part 2: Eating Veins of the Earth.

Going surprisingly quickly because the book isn't tedious and boring.

In 3.5 some of the better free actions (quickened spells, etc.) are nerfed to eat your immediate actions.
Otherwise no.

Price each one like an art objects. They're often worth more or far less to the right or wrong person, just like art objects.

It's on Lulu. It's also garbage.

He did that one!

Foreign spies mix cyanide into thought-eater bouillon cubes.
Apparently it "fights Granny's Soup", whatever that means.

>He did that one!
I did?

Come to think of it, there's no such thing as an ustaligor. You did the ustilagor though.
>Flavour: fat, greasy worms in chicken soup. Not much flavour and no real texture.

More than likely, you'll want a game that's less lethal than B/X.

Into the Odd has a decent approach. You can also just use a "death at -10" rule. And dial back some of the insta-death effects.

This should allow you to keep a consistent cast.

You could also keep it lethal, and make the overall story about an organization or family instead of individuals. Character dies? His cousin Ed the Wizard graduates from NPC to PC, and enjoys the benefit of the deceased's story connections.

Hey does anyone know at what point the random starting spells for magic-user began and ended? Apparently it was a thing in AD&D. Also can someone attempt to justify that rule to me, because I can't think of any good reason as to why they can't pick what measly spells they have at 1st level other than Gygax not liking magic users.

System to generate the starting town for a campaign and descriptions of cities and towns. Also asking out the goth girl who works at the coffee shop

>Also asking out the goth girl who works at the coffee shop

Beyond the Wall, yo.
It explicitely takes inspiration from storygame ideas as well as OSR.

somebody has played Fallen London, it seems.

Hit points are random, stats are random, starting gold is random, why not spells?

Personally I like to give them the ol' one two. First you roll a random spell of the starting spell list, then you pick one other spell you want. That way, you might be forced to pick and use a spell you're not a huge fan of, but you can always pick the one you wanted beside it. OR maybe you get lucky and got your favorite spell on your roll, now you get to choose one more that maybe shores up your weakness or you think is interesting.

homo floresiensis and homo denisova for wolfpacks, and some rules for non-european settings. So you can play in, like, the levant or java and stuff.
Once this is done I'm basically ready to get the deluxe edition of WP&WS published.

I'm hype af for this.

2e DMG takes a very, "I dunno, you do you" approach. To everything.
That's why it's got like 12 rules for generating attributes on new characters.

And it says, "maybe generate spells randomly, if you'd like?"

Is that how it is? This is partially out of a discussion a friend and I were having and he was insisting that this was the way it was in first edition. I've been looking through the player's handbook and I haven't found anything that discusses exactly how starting spell selection works yet.

If it's just an option for a 2e thing then that makes more sense.

There have been lots of ways to do it, even in the DMG. One of the ways is to simply go through a long list of spells you'd like and roll the learn chance on each. Another is to, for instance, start with the two you always start with free (Read and Detect Magic) and then roll 2d4 and you get that many spells. There's all sorts of ways, because it comes down to the GM in the end.

>because I can't think of any good reason
Can you think of a good reason for random starting gear?

In a slightly different vein: do you tell your PCs how much treasure they find, then let them pick what it is?

>I've been looking through the player's handbook and I haven't found anything that discusses exactly how starting spell selection works yet.
In 1E AD&D, things like PC spell generation will be in the DMG IIRC.

Even in 2e.

It's in the DMG in 2e as well.

There are also rules for becoming liches and stuff. And radioactivity. Every rpg needs rules for what a nuclear reactor does to you.

How does /osrg/ feel about short rests letting characters heal up a bit and/or recover some mana points? Or does it break the formula too much?

This might help.

There will be wandering monster checks, so it's up to them to decide if it's worth the risk.

How useful should it be then? Maybe it lets Wizards recover the lowest spent spell slot/1 spell point, and everyone else heals 1 hp? Healing 1d4 or 1d6 seems too generous.

I like the GLOG version (but then again, I eat locusts).

Lunch heals you 1d6+your level HP. Lunch takes 1 hour and consumes 1 iron ration or equivalent meal. A good night's rest after dinner heals you fully. Dinner and before-rest preparations take 1 hour, and a good night's sleep takes 6 hours.

If you've taken a Fatal Would (or dropped into negative HP), you recover to zero after your lunch, and then 1 HP per lunch/dinner and nap until you are back up to your former total. Then you heal normally.

This makes Delicious Normal Meat very valuable. It heals you 1 extra HP, so you can recover from serious injuries faster.

I use the GLOG as well so I advocate everything has said. I wouldn't have magic-users recover any resources like spells unless you'd let fighters or thieves recover any 1/day abilities as well. I'd base how much healing rests would do based on how much HP characters have and how easy it is for them to die in whatever system you're using. In GLOG, characters very rarely have over 15 HP, but roll on a death and dismemberment table at 0 hp. If i were running something like B/X or LotFP I'd have these short rests recover HD hp as at 0 hp in those systems you are dead. In my experience as a referee, most journey's into dungeons last around 3.5 hours (counting lunch hour) before the party decides to say leave. Lunch is usually the halfway point for most incursions. You could use that to work backwards to figure out how much of a second wind you want parties to get and decide values for HP or other mechanic recovery that way.

Found it in the DMG, basically you select your magic-user's starting spell book by taking one of each from the following. It's a pretty fair system actually, and Gygax goes on to say that you can allow your players to just pick if they really want to.

what game are you using?