Do you get mad if your players loot defeated enemies?

Do you get mad if your players loot defeated enemies?

My DM doesn't seem to like me stopping to grab the weapons of dead enemies, but I don't see why leave usable steel weapons forgotten in the grass if I can carry them.

No. It happened all the time IRL.

At a certain point it's a bit weird though. You can't feasibly carry that many weapons, and it's not like extra weapons will help you. You could sell them, sure, but there's lighter, less bulky things to loot.

Armor fag, historically speaking if you want to loot the smallest piece of plate armor with the widest fitting (IE, you can sell it to almost anybody as it will fit almost anyone), you loot gauntlets. Not only are they terribly expensive to make, they're one of the most crucial pieces of armor for a soldier lacking a shield and you should be able to pawn them off for a pretty penny.

That's pretty interesting. Thanks.

historically, things like maille were looted and either used for yourself or sold to the market

a perfectly good sword is also good stuff to carry
things like matchlock muskets were also worth 2 months pay for a trained artisan, so it may be worth taking those

but a professional looter would want to maximize weight to value, and go for small but valuable things like jewelry first

looting everything on the battlefield would be mostly pointless unless you had the foresight to bring a whole ton of workers and carts

No, if players want to do that then that's fine and can be a little fun part of the game.

I let players take weapons if they want, usually they can sell them but at a reduced rate 1/4 and use encumbrance rules for how much they can carry and I even have a generator to see what each individual kill was carrying. Usually only a few copper or if they're lucky a platinum piece but they enjoy it.

So many GM's hate fun it's absurd.

>usually they can sell them but at a reduced rate 1/4
y tho

No one wants to wear a dead man's helm

They do though.

And what gave you that idea?

Why not ?

'Hi merchant, we have some weapons to sell you'

'Well they don't look amazing but I'll probably be able to sell some of them whole and the rest for scrap , I'll give you 1/4 .for each of them.'

'Its a deal'

'here is one gold piece for your 4 goblin spears'

We're playing Dungeons and Dragons not Taxes and Trades so some abstraction with economics makes sense.

the usual reason given is that second-hand equipment is usually damaged and dirty
also, you dont know where it came from, so there is an uncertainty to its quality, since you have to to take the sellers word for it

and if the storkeeeper is looking to re-sell it, he would want to buy low and sell high

Can't be sure you really killed them goblins, they may come looking for these shitty swords

A quarter is borderline theft though when talking normal gear.
Why would it be dirty or damaged all the time though? Sure, if you fought like a month old zombfied soldiers, their gear wouldve been slightly rusted due to lack of maintenance, so sure, but eg mercenary gear? It should be in about as good shape as it can be.

Dirt however I can't agree with, for me it seems like a logical assumption that you'd clean up any dirty items before trying to sell them off.

Used goods.

Unarmed goblins are hardly a threat.

It can get annoying when thatguy does it.

>Do you get mad if your players loot defeated enemies?

Not in the slightest, as long as they could plausibly carry.it and won't chimp out when no one anywhere will buy a rustuly, chipped skaven sword off them.

Really WFRP encourages looting for equipment.

I don't get it. My group travels in a cart with reinforced wheels. We can afford the weight and space.

How do you travel?

>enemies carry damaged weapons
>they still behave exactly like good ones
Best DM.

By foot. Horses are foreign oddities and ox-carts are for farmers, merchants and women.

>quarter is borderline theft

Are you saying that a quarter is theft in that the players should get more than that for damaged, mundane gear or that they should get less than that ?

>maille

>THIS IS DAMAGED!!!
>btw I'm still gonna sell it for four times the price I'm buying it from you

What

Your used PlayStation, TV, hammer , car, clothes , etc likely function much the same but none the less they're worth less second hand.

New things are always worth more beyond literal antiques.

>the equipment was damaged during the fight and became worthless

anyway, the only annoying part about is that if the players are too lazy to calculate their own inventory weight
make some effort if you are greedy

Why would you tell the shopkeeper how you got them?

Why wouldn't you loot a defeated enemy?

Sure but it's not worth a quarter of the price.
That's a belief-breaking cop-out.
Because otherwise they might be stolen.

That's just second hand, not usually damaged and dirty.

Yes, they are worth less but you will have a hard time justifying a quarter.

>ah, so you are the shopkeeper who brought my nondescript longsword? guards arrest him!

You expect to get list price for an item? How's he to make his money back? And it's not as if there's a shortage of cheap arming swords, you're not exactly negotiating from a position of power here.

Yes, user, that is what happens.
>nondescript
Nigger even munitions stuff was painted and shit.
It's the 1/4 that seems excessive.

>and ox-carts are for farmers, merchants and women.
How is that an excuse? All of them bought their carts from somewhere, just enter the shop and commission one. Money can buy anything.

And while I admit we had to suck the dick out of a noble for a horse. How much weight do you think this small Asian woman is carrying? Horses are a luxury, but even if you don't have one, a cart is extremely useful. Make the characters take turns. The wheel is one of civilizations greatest invention exactly because it allows you carry like 10 times your weight.

We love our cart and we would fight into TPK if the GM tries to take it away from us.

>you forgot the tiny etching at the base of the blade
never make a blade without it

the 5e PHB actually lists 1/2 as the standard selling price for looted equipment

although you could possibly sell it at full price no questions asked to certain strangers in the backalley...

Err, yeah that's how merchants earn money? They buy goods at a reduced price and sell them on for more ergo they profit and stay in business. This is bare basics economics.

Nigger you do not have enough money to change the social expectations of a cultural group.
This isn't about money you retard.
>Make the characters take turns

Hey if you want to sell it for full price clean it up, repair it, open a shop, learn how to haggle, hire a few clerks and then sit on your inventory for 6 months until someone dumb enough to buy it comes along. Or you could sell it to me for beer money so you don't have to carry it anymore and get back to adventuring

You are pretty mistaken if you believe that there is a mark in every sword used by a mook.

Or that somehow the owner will go city to city asking random shopkeepers to let them check if the swords they have on stock aren't his.

user the point is that the goods being damaged doesn't have anything to do with the disparity between the merchant's buy and sell price, unless he's fixing it up in between.

>make
Sorry PC blacksmith, we are talking about mooks here.

Well it's the fact the goods are

>A: Used

>B: being sold to someone who has to make a profit selling them on

So 1/4 works.

Players can of course haggle for a bit more. Likewise if they find a cache of new mundane gear they can sell that for 1/2 price.

This is a munitions helmet. It is the cheapest kind of helmet you could buy. It was quickly produced for the lowest rung of the military ladder.

Does it look nondescript to you?

the lack of branding on a sword should be more than enough reason not to buy it at market price

you can never trust generic brand

Yes, I'm sure hauling a cart like that through forests, mountains and all the other wild terrain the PCs might go is gonna be easy-peasy.

>So 1/4 works
No it doesn't. 1/4 is ridiculously low. By all means make it less than full price, but by God don't make it a quarter.

A pawn shop owner will buy shit for maybe half what he can sell it for if and only if it is definitely legal, and he knows for a fact he can onsell it very quickly and has no chance of being stuck with it.

A quarter for dubious, unproven goods from a dude you never met who's not from here and just walked in with like ten swords is generous, especially if they are just dumping them for the first or second offer they get.

If they spent a day cleaning the shit up and getting them organised and paid for a smith to check them out and say they're okay in a nice letter, a third would be fitting.

If they spent 2-3 days checking different buyers out, negotiating fiercely, making offers and bundles and splitting the goods up to sell different places to optimise value, bump it to 1/3.

If they do both, then 1/2.

And if any of the characters is a merchant or smith or trader or the like, then I won't make them test for anything since that is the basic skill of such people.

>see my cherry picked example
Try to use something closer to DnD.

sauce

This isn't a car, if the sword has a brand it's probably masterwork.

THEN HAVE I GOT THE BEAST FOR YOU! CRAZY HASSAN IS MY NAME, AND I GOT THAT NAME FOR THE UNBELIEVABLE PRICES I SELL MY SLIGHTLY USED CAMELS FOR! YES, IT'S TRUE MY FRIEND, MANY MILES LEFT IN THEM! WHAT'S A CAMEL? LONG STORY, BUT YOU NEED ONE! COME IN RIDING, CARRYING, AND DUAL SPORT MODELS! BUY TWO AND I'LL THROW IN A BEAUTIFUL RUG WOVEN BY MY LOVELY WIFE AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! YES MY FRIEND, WHETHER YOU'RE IN THE DESERT, THE PRARIE, ON A MOOR, IN THE WOODS, IN THE MOUNTAINS, ON THE STEPPE, ON A TUNDRA, ON THE MOON - YOU! NEED! A! CAMEL!

I accept payment in all silver, gold, and copper currencies, weighing pending.

>Even rarer is munition armour that, like this helmet, retains its original painted decoration. A great deal of armour left ‘rough-from-the-hammer’ seems to have been brightly painted, with heraldic devices or livery colours. The helmets were sometimes emblazoned with monstrous, scowling faces, a fashion still popular with some modern soldiers...A painted finish was still somewhat fragile however, and only a handful of early sixteenth-century helmets survive today with their original surfaces even partially intact.
Of course, if you go further back in time, then the average soldier gets richer.

>kill armored enemies
>their armor is miraculously undamaged
Best DM.

There is actually a push for camels, as they are better suited to the not!African climate. However, it's a relatively recent push, and mostly only the family members of those with connections to the camels have them.

Just thought of something. A few soldiers would have spent the dosh to get stuff painted by real artists, but how many would just bring some paints for their armour just to have something to fucking do on campaign?

fine, go buy your generic brand blades
they will break in a day

if you dont buy from quest-buy, your goods were probably made in a cave by goblins

>kill armored enemy
>you somehow hit every single piece of armor in their bodies before they died

well, if the armor has even a single hole in it, that would be good enough reason to caast doubt on its efficacy

People sure as fuck would as long as it's still of decent quality. You think that people just burn or throw away perfectly functioning clothes and things just because the former owner is deceased? If that isn't the case now, in a time of material affluence, what makes you think that people living with a relative scarcity of material would do so?

Seems generous to me. I've heard plenty of advice that says don't give the players anything for monster gear.

2 silver and 50 copper seems very generous for a shitty goblin spears (worth 1 gp new) considering your average commoner makes 1 silver piece a day working.

Likewise if players want to set up their own 'monster gear mart' they can and charge more.

>sometimes
You are pretty mistaken if you think that custom equipment is the rule.

You remind me of 60 multimeltas guy.

>attacked by legbreakers from the weaponsmiths guild for encroaching on their territory
>rumor mongers begin spreading that your weapons will give the user eye blight and the plague

>you only sell in sets

Any smith worth their hammer has a mark they put on their goods. A item without either comes from a culture that doesn't recognize that you are judged by your work (goblin, gnoll, chinese), or else someone deliberately making cheap weapons as fast as possible.

I mean, that does tend to be the point of armor - blocking blows that would otherwise carve up your relatively soft meat. You might not hit every piece of it, but by the time you kill someone in combat it'll be a lot more damaged than when you started.

Sounds like they're talking from a "gamey" perspective rather than a realism one. For dungeon crawler style games you just need to suspend disbelief a lot.

Can't be that shitty if they sell for 1 gp new.

And that's one reason why you're selling at a discount. Because you're trying to hawk pieces of armor to someone who is going to want to sell them in full sets.

Not necessarily.

A lot of professional blacksmiths still don't feel comfortable with putting their mark on items, simply because they don't think they're 'worthy'.

Or it smacks of egotism.

Conan reference?

The fuck do you think combat is, some kinda epic super saiyan fight? It lasts like a few seconds.

Poorfags overwhelmingly didn't buy things in sets.

>horses are a luxury

Get some mules or ponies.

Okay, let's roll with this.

Seeing how this blacksmith sold weapons to countless people, who some were brigrands who then had their weapons stolen by a party. Those brigrands go after their weapons, so they decide to find them by looking at every shop for weapons with this mark?

No matter what the situation is still ridiculous. It's like someone stole your Doritos stockpile, so you decide to go to every supermarket to see if they are selling plenty of Doritos.

Every piece has a different price and different time to be made. Buying only in sets is silly.

That's highly dependent on what sort of armour we're talking about. Some things can be quite easily repaired and it's not like every type of armour is fashioned in a way to render every weapon inefficient against it.
If I'm not mistaken archeological findings of Lorica Segmentata, the stereotypic roman armour, is often found with repeated repairs of varying competence, suggesting that the legionaries themselves tended to it.

It's not!Africa. The reason horses are a luxury is because they're from thousands of miles away, and they only arrive on boats.

I'm not involved in the tracking-down-loot argument, I agree it's dumb.

>not!Africa
Buy a slave.

Yeah governments would never concern themselves with stolen goods.

Then use slaves or servants for it.

Sorry: specifically, the trafficking of stolen goods.

That's what people do. For this situation they'd probably have ox-driving camp followers, anyway (the looting thing really only being a thing if you're expecting big battles).
The players, however, are the arsehole of the "aristocracy" (similar to poorfag hidalgos), and so are not rich enough. They could capture some slaves or make some money, though.
It's not like I'm actively stopping them from having carts or something, that's just how it ended up. It's not a big deal, either, seeing as they're not on campaign.

I am the only player in my current party who dosent loot anything besides gold and end of dungeon treasure. I chalk it up to being a pompus bard who would rather not touch filthy weapons and armor but really it just slows things down too much in my opinion.

>be goverment
>someone stole some of your swords
>start a very expensive operation to track down the swords
>open an investigation into every shopkeeper who sells swords
>interrogate every single one of them to figure out if they recently brought some
>try to pinpoint which blacksmiths provides your military with swords
>verify every last one shop with swords to see if they carry those blacksmiths sell, trying to figure out who brought them
>realize you are a retard for simply not branding them with an official symbol that shows they were only usable for the military
>spent thousands of gold trying to pinpoint the responsible
>finally realize that you could be tracking the guy who actually stole them instead of the product
>commit suicide when realizing your own stupidity

Here's the major problem, from an RPG perspective: in order to make the game stable and fun, (human) enemies are typically much weaker than they should be/the players are. Even fairly low level characters will often be slicing through bandits and guards in huge numbers, because if they were facing equal enemies, PCs would drop very quickly. A lot of mooks means a lot of weapons, suits or armour, etc. which may well be of high quality to boot: your DM wants enemies to seem cool and intimidating, and being the underdog against the vastly better supplied evil empire is a popular trope. The upshot of all this is that PCs will become extremely wealthy even if they only take a few things from each enemy, and proper looters could start to outfit their own private army within a few sessions. Your DM doesn't want this, because he doesn't want you to have high-end gear by level 5 and he doesn't want treasure to become obsolete. Therefore, many DMs will, quite reasonably, restrict looting to keep the game engaging for longer.

Other issues include: carry weight is overly generous, most games don't model wear and tear (or bloodstains) on armour, and the fact that your heroic image may be tarnished by haggling over 500 pair of dead men's boots with your local quartermaster, but they're not really the underlying issue.

HMMMMMMMMMMM
SOLDIERS
TENDING
TO
THEIR
OWN
EQUIPMENT?

FUCKIN HELL MATE
YOU JUST BLEW MY no seriously way to go fag

>RPG
Arrows aren't as bad, but if you hit a mook with a fireball or longsword hard enough to kill them through their armour it's going to be all kinds of fucked up.

>Because otherwise they might be stolen.
They still might be, though. If I stole shit and tried to sell it I wouldn't say I stole it. That'd be idiotic.

What kind of party leaves the brigands alive to come looking for their swords in the first place?

I wouldn't leave magic weapons in a chest for the players to find. If there is some intelligent foe, they would use it.

I hear they spread disease.

I wanted to post "I would play the fuck out of Taxes and Trade"

But then, no, I wouldn't.

Perhaps you should understand the context of my comment before posting and making a fool out of yourself. It was obviously in reference to claim that damaged armour's continued efficiency is something which one should be sceptical of. The fact that soldiers apparantly made regular repairs, which might even have been of a lackluster quality, seems to refute this quite strongly.

Are you pretending that these situations are imaginary?

In the specific place where they were hit, yes.

Do you think that an entire set of armor is just one continuous piece of material?

Are you completely fucking RETARDED?

My god, you are actually retarded. Shut the fuck up about things you know nothing about.

Unless you're going to explain the plethora of customers who will only need one piece of an armor set replaced. No, actually, don't try. Every time you open your mouth it's like pure aural pain for anyone with an IQ higher than 50.