EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Fucking up the OP is a Crime" Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Let's hear some mistake stories: What critical lapses of brain power have cost you or those around you games. Any times someone has fucked up big time and still gone on to win?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I had Selvala, a few cantrips in my hand, and was ready for an explosive play. I forgot turn order, tapped Selvala in my upkeep, my friends laughed at me and told me that if I was going to be /that/ dumb I deserved it. And I did. Couldn't get the mana to cast my hand, passed turn to the Zurgo player, who swung at my poor elf face.

Countering a Riku with Overwhelming Intellect when said Riku player had a Sphinx out. I had a split second of happiness because I love Intellect as a jank card and then I realized the fuck up. Oloro still managed to win that goddamn game

I let Narset land a swing because I forgot Teysa was flying at the time. Ended the whole game on the spot.

Consecrated Sphinx should be banned.

you know your jokes are not funny right?

What, you mean the fact that my first attempt to create an OP this morning went so badly that I had to delete it and try again rather than letting that crap stand?

But in any case I'm fully aware that I am whatever the opposite of gifted is when it comes to humor.

>first attempt to create an OP this morning went so badly that I had to delete it and try again rather than letting that crap stand?
i just woke up and did not know that, i was talking about the "edition" though. they are not funny

So normally I buy a box of each set but HOU is just awful and I don't even want to pay money for it. Aside from the white "fuck you all your shit is 1/1s" enchantment and the scarab god what other singles should I buy?

The Invocation Doomsday looks baller.

The other bug gods are probably good calls.

Most of the Hours are playable, but Revelation in particular looks to be a staple. Maybe scrape together Promise, Eternity, and Devastation if they're cheap since some decks will want them. You can probably skip Glory though mono-black exile removal isn't a huge set of cards to choose from.

Torment of Hailfire seems like a typical "Tuned for 20 life formats so bad in EDH" call but it can do disgusting, disgusting things with Black's top ramp. At 10+ for X (not all that difficult to hit)

>TFW got a scarab god invocation for 60
>TFW it's now pushing 100

Ramunap Excavator, it's fucking cradle on a body.

Why aren't people hyping this thing? It's going to spike like fuck later. It's only $6 right now.

I once made the mistake of thinking that everyone else would help me take down the guy who had an infinite combo ready. My only regret is I couldn't target all of them at once.

Your mom's ass should be banned

The cards I can see having a future in EDH this set are:
>Angel of Condemnation
>Apocalypse Demon
>Banewhip Punisher (At least in Scorpion Decks)
>Beneath the Sands
>Bloodwater Entity
>Leave / Chance
>Crested Sunmare
>Cycling Deserts
>Djeru
>Dunes of the Dead
>God-Pharoah's Gift
>Hour of Devestation
>Hour of Eternity
>Hour of Promise
>Hour of Revelation
>Mirage Mirror
>Neheb, the Eternal
>Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh
>Nimble Obstructionist
>Obelisk Spider
>Overwhelming Splendor
>Pride Sovereign
>Ramunap Excavator
>Ramunap Excavator
>RAMUNAP EXCAVATOR
>Razaketh, the Foulblooded
>Scavenger Grounds
>Solemnity
>Swarm Intelligence
>The Big Bugs
>Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign

I'm admittedly being generous on a lot of those.

cause like everything thats tied to a creature its to easily dealt with. your sitting down with 3-5 other people, you really dont think one of them doesnt have a board wipe or a kill spell?

>What critical lapses of brain power have cost you or those around you games.

>Playing Ulasht against Prossh and Ruric Thar
>I cast Vicious Shadows and end my turn
>On his turn, Ruric Thar player casts Molten Disaster for 3
>Prossh has 6 creatures, me and Ruric have none; Ruric has 3 cards in hand and is at 21 life
>Vicious Shadows triggers when those 6 creatures die, target it all at the Ruric Thar player for 18 damage
>Ruric Thar player gets surprised as he thought the damage from Vicious Shadows only gets dealt to the owner of the creatures that die, but is relieved he's still alive and is down to 3 life
>Prossh player points out the 3 damage to all players from Molten Disaster kills him

First time in a long time seeing the Ruric Thar player miscalculate. Good thing he was a sport.

>being a tripfag
>being irredeemably stupid
Checks out

>Excavator
>cradle

The set only properly released today. Don't expect it to keep going up, user, prerelease prices don't matter unless it's either overhyped or underhyped, and there's 0 chance of Scarabu being underhyped.

I meant Crucible.

>Mirage Mirror
>copy time vault
>extra turn each turn

>He doesn't play reanimator

But its much easier to get on the board by tutoring for it, can block and attack.
Also most people in my playgroups seem to be packing similar amounts of artifact hate than single-target creature removal. If someone uses a Wrath just to get rid of my enabler to cast lands from my graveyard (instead of just running graveyard hate) theyre pretty stupid desu

>Mirage Mirror costs 3
>perect Workshop cost
Goofy but it makes me want to brew Workshops with Time Vault in Vintage.

If you play Excavator you're playing GBX with graveyard shenanigans anyway so why would you care if it gets killed?

>IT'S BAD BECAUSE IT DIES TO REMOVAL
Everyone point at him and laugh. Now.

>and there's 0 chance of Scarabu being underhyped.
Don't be so sure. Grixis control is great in standard.

Time Vault is banned in EDH, user. There are a lot worse things you can do with it than Mirage Mirror.

Personally I bought the bugs, razaketh and two copies of claim//fame.

Pride sovereign looks sweet if cats really become a thing.

Except they don't have priority before you actually play a land card, so at the very least it's a Restore. Plus it's also easily tutorable and easy to recur and any deck playing Crucible of Worlds is going to want a second copy.
You're just being contrarian.

Do standard players actually buy the masterpiece cards for their decks? I was under the impression that they were more for Modern/Legacy/EDH players who have motivation to pimp their decks thanks to the formats not rotating.

>Let's hear some mistake stories: What critical lapses of brain power have cost you or those around you games. Any times someone has fucked up big time and still gone on to win?
forgetting I have doublestrike when holding tainted strike in hand
kill me

Arms races ruin EDH
prove me wrong

Arms races are the best part of EDH
prove me wrong

The base price of the card will affect how pricey its masterpiece version is. Take look at Torrential Gearhulk, which went from a low of $25-$30 up to $90-$100 as people started playing it in earnest, and has since coasted down to about $40-$50.

Thread question:
>Hannah, ship's navigator
>Labman main wincon
>Tap out to mill myself at the end of previous player's turn
>Untap
>Realize labman isn't in play
>Realize I don't have any cards to give him flash in play
>Realize I don't have any way to bring back and play my cards to give him flash
>Draw and lose

>Thread Story
every single time I play Avenger and forgot to play my land AFTER he hits the board

I play daxos/lovisa/Mina and denn and I want to build something new. I don't really like tier one unless it is fun. Leaning towards the scorpion god or neheb the eternal, but I don't know what to work on. Any ideas?

OG Daxos or Blaxos?

>I don't like changing my deck because it ruins muh creative masterpiece

ojuitai!

yes, unironically this exactly.

>hey lets make a format where I can play all my bulk rares
>hey you know what would be even more fun?
>vintage
wew

>social format
>don't socialize through deckbuilding, that's wrong

>social format
>treat it like a competitive format

If I summon a creature with X tokens (of whatever kind) where X is the additional cost you paid for it, like Walking Ballista, and later I blink it, what happens?
It comes back with all its tokens or it doesn't get any (thus, in the case of the Ballista, it dies immediately since it would be a 0/0)

OK, I'm going to correct your terminology, but first I'm going to answer your question: If you flicker Walking Ballista it comes back with nothing.

speaking of ballista, when is it's price going to go down?

Do you mean Magic terminology or just english grammar/sentence construction?
Because of the latter I've noticed some errors, effectively (made mostly because English isn't my first language), and I'm completely new in the former, since I've always played Magic with my friends with little "help" from Internet, so I never learned most of the terms commonly used

The only problem I see is that
>tokens
should be
>counters

Now for terminology.

Summon, oddly enough, has not been reinstated in this world us using flavorful words in rules text. You cast a creature spell. This will be kind of relevant later.

They're not tokens, they're counters. This is actually rather important since tokens are a thing (basically independent fake cards that only exist on the battlefield) that is totally different from counters (Little countable modifiers to an object, sometimes with innate rules)

"Blink" and "Flicker" are slang -- what you are actually doing to the recipient of such an effect is exiling it, then returning it to the battlefield. When something leaves the battlefield, it ceases to be the game object it was back when it was on the battlefield, so nothing about the old version is 'remembered'. The X of Walking Ballista was only really defined while it was on the stack, and while undefined X is 0. Therefore, when it enters the battlefield from exile, where you didn't (and couldn't) set any value for X, X will be 0 and it will enter with 0 counters (and, in most circumstances, immediately be placed in its owner's graveyard)

Now, if X wasn't involved -- say for Graft creatures like Pic Related that have a fixed number, their enters-the-battlefield ability will work normally and give them their starting counter value (Two for Pic Related, no matter how many she had before), because the issue is not that flickering something makes it not get counters, it's that flickering will remove the old counters (Since it ceases to be the object that had the counters) and nothing on Walking Ballista will place more than 0 new counters when it enters the battlefield from exile (or in any other circumstance that didn't define X).

There is one exception to the "Zone Change? New object? Counters go away." rule: Skullbriar, the Walking grave. The fact that Skullbriar explicitly keeps its counters when moving between public zones should suggest that such is not standard behavior.

Late 2018, when Aether Revolt rotates.

neheb looks fun, I'm going to build him I think

This is why I don't go into LGS

Thanks

yikes dude go breathe some air

I find that answering in the pedantic fashion is the best way to be sure the point gets across to clear up rules confusion. I don't get autistic about game terms when communication is going fine.

Yes, some people actually enjoy playing vintage power level cards alongside jank. It's 100% playgroup related, and anyone who spergs out over the way other people play or demands the banning of random cards needs to develop the social skills to communicate properly with their playgroup.

It's also being played in Tron variants isn't it? If yes, I doubt it's going down much, fucking modernfags spiking prices right and left.

its being played in tron, eldrazi tron, counters company.
however its going to be stalled by Solemnity, thought that will also spike

And some Abzan Company decks, but when it rotates out it'll still lose some value.

>jank
arms races dont usually end up containing jank
my play group certainly didnt.
im just glad we put a stop to that before we got to cEDH levels
krenko, mld zergo, stax selvala, slightly slower 5c hermit druid these lists are bad enough as it is

Ordered a Wound Reflection for my Kaervek deck, what would you guys suggest to take out in its place? Also should I run Scorpion God and Kulrath Knight for maximum jank?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/

I would say waste not since you aren't full on discard

just, like, don't play in to it cuz.
talk to your group about power level.
get different decks with different power levels.
if someone pulls out an FU deck just pull out your mono (you) deck with clique or teferi, all the cards are cheap. and they can just be counterspell and voltron.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-rakdos-tax-collector/
Scour from Existence is pretty weak, wound reflection can safely replace that.

Nice list though man, would love to play against it.

Blaxos

So you've got WB Enchantments, mono Red Creatures, and RG Lands. I'd say go for the permanent type and colors you don't have. Blue Artifacts. Padeem or Muzzio.

I love EDH but I'm tired of the fucking spergs that plague the format

Most of the people are really nice and normal but yesterday I had the massive unpleasure of playing with ThatGuy and honestly I need a break

Is Standard better? Is Modern better?

seriously I would suggest playing a different card game rather than playing a different format
EDH really is the pinnacle of fun in mtg and frankly everyone needs a break every once in a while

What did "ThatGuy" do?
Magic is full of assholes and people with social disorders, theres do format to escape them, you gotta learn to roll with the punches and laugh at the bullshit.

Get a playgroup, rather than running the risk of random twats.

Thanks. I'll probably toss the waste not since scour, while expensive, is spot removal against enchantments. The deck does do solid work but I also play with a group who is salty of tax effects so it rarely wins

You're insane, but closest thing I can see kinda making sense is some godawful mashup between Vaultcast and Workshop Slaver.

Fatal Push and Balista will go up when Revolt rotates out of print.

Longterm, yes. However, there will be a shortterm blip where Standard players offload their copies and supply suddenly skyrockets into the waiting hands of a significantly reduced demand.

Post lonely cards you try to include whenever possible.

Laughed and talked really fucking loud. Started laughing when I didn't knew what a card did. Commented every play me and other guy did because we were inexperienced and never shutted up through the whole game, either mumbling under his breath or loud enough it could be heard 2 blocks down. Condescending, rude and really annoying.

I made a mistake, got killed early and couldn't have been happier about being able to just leave. I hope one of the other guys won.

You are the sperg here user, that's just banter, and if your fragile ego can't handle it, I suggest you play something else.

Not everything is banter, user. Some people are just obnoxious cunts.

>so put off by trash talk that you bitch on a Laotian crocheting forum

Wow you're so easily offended and you post here?

That was not banter, I love banter, but not when not spoken over 100dB and that goes over half an hour of play.

You don't get it man. I'm fine with people telling me I'm fucking bad and that I should have done another play. It actually makes you learn and helps you understand better. It's like tough love

I'm not fine with a fat greasy asshole yelling, snorting and thinking out loud while treating other players like shit for no reason. That ain't banter m8, that's just being an autistic little shit about a fucking card game.

So.. what is the best lifegain card?

The ones where lifegain is an secondary effect to another more powerful effect, like Sphinx's Rev. Pure lifegain cards are pretty bad unless you have effects that give you bonuses for gaining life.

Aetherflux Reservoir

Both a lifegain source and a win condition on it's own.

>wotc forgets EDH exists, the card

I mentioned this right by the end of the last thread. I straight up played an Ashen Rider with my own Hushwing Gryff on the board. Thankfully after we laughed at my idiocy an opponent bolted my Gryff in response so I could exile a bigger threat on the board.

Sorin Markov and Magister's Sphinx

Those were before EDH was an officially recognized format.

Tbh I think the resevoir is more powerful than either of them.

They're both alright. They're expensive and life at 10 isn't the end of the world

STOP CUTTING ME

pic related or scourge of the throne
scourge SEEMS good but it never really fits

even if i made a deck without any other creatures, this dude would be in it

>bloodgift demon
>lonely
dude is a manwhore , putting his cock in literally every casual deck that can cast double black spells

i would put hatred in every deck if i had more than one

Is this guy any good? I took him out of an early draft but the draw seems nice on top of eating small fliers

yeah hes solid as fuck. great blocker or attacker with card draw plus he can kill an opponent with 1 life