/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Hundred Hour War Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/6jrcg496e7vnb/Avalon Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames
mega.nz/#F!ZAoVjbQB!iGfDqfBDpgr0GC-NHg7KFQ

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/download/lh6fh750wia0awi/Osprey - MAA 221 - Central American Wars 1959 - 89.pdf
discord.gg/QU2djTV
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_&_Mr_Norrell
youtu.be/WUtDkfHlzgs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Fleet Series
mega.nz/#F!i1N3xZxL!C6fQ3Z8o2U0gtk5kdXuVcQ
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!XsVD0KgT!twB1NWiFE3aKXK_O1EZ4pA
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warhammer Historical
mega.nz/#F!LxkElYYY!FJB5miNmlWZKMj2VfSYdxg
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf

Desired scans :
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Modern Spearhead

July 14th in military history:

756 – An Lushan Rebellion: Emperor Xuanzong flees the capital Chang'an as An Lushan's forces advance toward the city.
1420 – Battle of Vítkov Hill, decisive victory of Czech Hussite forces commanded by Jan Žižka against Crusade army led by Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor.
1789 – French Revolution: Citizens of Paris storm the Bastille.
1791 – The Priestley Riots drive Joseph Priestley, a supporter of the French Revolution, out of Birmingham, England.
1881 – Billy the Kid is shot and killed by Pat Garrett outside Fort Sumner.
1900 – Armies of the Eight-Nation Alliance capture Tientsin during the Boxer Rebellion.
1916 – Start of the Battle of Delville Wood as an action within the Battle of the Somme, which was to last until 3 September.
1928 – New Vietnam Revolutionary Party is founded in Huế, providing some of the Communist Party's most important leaders in its early years.
1933 – Gleichschaltung: In Germany, all political parties are outlawed except the Nazi Party.
1948 – Palmiro Togliatti, leader of the Italian Communist Party, is shot and wounded near the Italian Parliament.
1950 – Korean War: North Korean troops initiate the Battle of Taejon.
1958 – Iraqi Revolution: In Iraq the monarchy is overthrown by popular forces led by Abd al-Karim Qasim, who becomes the nation's new leader.
1969 – Football War: After Honduras loses a soccer match against El Salvador, riots break out in Honduras against Salvadoran migrant workers.

It is 48 years since the Football War began, with El Salvador invading Honduras. The cause of the war was economic in nature, namely issues concerning immigration. These existing tensions between the two countries coincided with rioting during a 1970 FIFA World Cup qualifier. The Organization of American States negotiated a ceasefire on the night of 18 July (hence "100 Hour War") which took full effect on 20 July. Salvadoran troops were withdrawn in early August. Despite the elapse of more than forty years, a formal peace treaty, a decision by the International Court of Justice and the support of the Organization of American States, the dispute remains active.

Honduras and El Salvador met in a 1970 FIFA World Cup qualifier. There was fighting between fans at the first game in the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa on 8 June 1969, which Honduras won 1–0. The second game, on 15 June 1969 in the Salvadoran capital of San Salvador, which was won 3–0 by El Salvador, was followed by even greater violence. A play-off match took place in Mexico City on 26 June 1969. El Salvador won the decisive third game 3–2 after extra time. That same day, El Salvador dissolved all diplomatic ties with Honduras, stating that "the government of Honduras has not taken any effective measures to punish these crimes which constitute genocide, nor has it given assurances of indemnification or reparations for the damages caused to Salvadorans".

Late in the afternoon of 14 July 1969, concerted military action began. San Salvador City was put on a black out and the Salvadoran Air Force, using passenger airplanes with explosives strapped to their sides as bombers, attacked targets inside Honduras. Salvadoran air-raid targets included the airport facility at Toncontin, which left the Honduran Air Force unable to react quickly. The larger Salvadoran army launched major offensives along the two main roads connecting the two nations and invaded Honduras.

(You)
Initially, rapid progress was made by the Salvadoran army. By the evening of 15 July, the Honduran army had been pushed back over eight kilometers. The departmental capital of Nueva Ocotepeque fell shortly after along with eight other cities, placing the Salvadoran army within striking distance of the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa. The momentum of the advance did not last, however. The Honduran air force reacted by striking the Salvadoran Ilopango airbase.

On 15 July, the OAS met in an emergency session and demanded that El Salvador withdraw from Honduras. The government in San Salvador refused unless promised that reparations would be made to those Salvadorans who were displaced and those who remained in Honduras would not be harmed. Nicaraguan dictator Somoza helped Honduras by providing weapons and ammunition.

El Salvador finally withdrew its troops on 2 August. On that date, Honduras guaranteed Salvadoran President Fidel Sanchez Hernandez that the Honduran government would provide adequate safety for the Salvadorans still living in Honduras. Sanchez had also asked that reparations be paid to the Salvadoran citizens as well, but that was never accepted by Hondurans. The casualty count is uncertain; around 900 Salvadorans lost to 2,100 Hondurans.

The Football War was the last conflict in which piston-engined fighters fought each other, both sides deploying some World War II era design aircraft. Cavalier P-51D Mustangs, F4U-1, -4 and -5 Corsairs, T-28A Trojans, AT-6C Texans and even C-47 Skytrains converted into bombers saw action.

When it comes to modern brushfire wars Africa tends to steal a lot of the glory, but here's a curious and rather nasty scrap perfectly suited to modern skirmish gaming.

mediafire.com/download/lh6fh750wia0awi/Osprey - MAA 221 - Central American Wars 1959 - 89.pdf

Wargames general would love to have you all, we're a largish discord server spawned by Veeky Forums and focus on tabletop miniatures games. We've got quite a few Flames of War and Bolt Action players.

discord.gg/QU2djTV

>Ivan tried to fix it a bit by introducing the ability to activate up to three dudes at once if they did the same single thing (run or shoot)

I wonder if it's possible to mess with and make more conventional without gutting the stress system that makes the game what it is?

Maybe reducing amount of overall actions available per turn from a D6 to a D4, and have the action points as always a move/shoot action rather than one or the other unless it's an extended move.
One of the game's problems I find is the 'rush' moves are far too irregular, often coming up shorter than a regular move. Partly it's a problem of wargames terrain generally not having suitably lumpy ground to provide a lot of what in reality is fairly decent concealment whilst moving for rush moves between cover. I think it's better than FoF's running all over the place at high speed, but with the pacing of the game, advances can be incredibly gradual and there often isn't much option for flanking moves unless in the most possible clutter of terrain.

HWG, this may seem like a strange thing to ask you, but if you wanted to take Napoleonic war and add magic, what would you do to make it worth bothering with without obsoleting the normal soldiers?

Communications. Have magic users be able to, sometimes, with a lot of danger and stress, be able to send messages to one another.

Make magic more buff-based than outright offensive.

Logistics and transport. Roads. Straight, smooth, supremely marchable roads that don't seem too directly concerned with the actual geography of the region.

I kinda feel like there should be some magic concerned with cannon and muskets, since those are the most distinctive parts of Napoleonic as opposed to medieval or bronze age or w/e

Read, or watch the miniseries of, 'Johnathon Strange & Mr Norrel.

Magic capable of helping in the creation of cannons and muskets, and/or making them safer?

That's not something gentlemen would involve themselves with. Haven't you read Clarke?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Strange_&_Mr_Norrell

>The Cabinet ministers find Strange easier to deal with than Norrell, and they send him to assist the Duke of Wellington on his Peninsular Campaign. For over a year, Strange helps the army: he creates roads, moves towns, and makes dead men speak. After he returns, he fails to cure George III's madness, although Strange manages to save the king from the gentleman with thistle-down hair, who is determined to make Stephen a king. Strange then helps defeat Napoleon at the horrific Battle of Waterloo.

(it's really good)

>Johnathon Strange & Mr Norrel

I haven't seen it, but I've read the book, and it was incredibly, INCREDIBLY boring.

>(it's really good)

If by really good you mean Jonathon talks about how easy weather magic is and then faffs about totally ignoring it? Or Mr "I'm gonna be a tremendous cunt at all times to my own detriment for no apparent reason" Norrell? Or what about "just gonna make this pact, why bother reading the fine print when fairies are so trustworthy?" Norrell? Or what about England, the nation of totally dope magic that for no reason whatsoever has totally forgotten how to do it?

I hate that fucking book. Also, as notes, I'd rather watch paint dry. Literally. I stuck it out becuase I was told it was good and worth letting it get going, and it never, ever did. By the end I was actively rooting against the main characters.

The issue with this is either;
> Magic is purely how muskets and cannon function and may as well just be gunpowder,
>Magic alters how muskets and cannon work, thus changing the part of Napoleonics you consider distinctive,

Also, I would argue muskets and cannon are in no way the distinctive part of Napoleonics, they are functionally no different to the weapons of the entire 18th Century.
Organisation was really the big change.

missed last thread
Any chance for
Phoenix Command Russian Roulette - The Breakup of the Soviet Union
Phoenix Command In the Name of God - Conflict in the Middle East
Phoenix Command Playing Aids
Bram Stoker's Dracula Rpg
Terminator 2 Rpg
Lawnmower Man: Virtual Reality Role Playing Game
Sword's Path Glory, Book 1: Medieval Melee System
Sword's Path Glory, Book 2: Role Playing
Spectrum Small Arms?
PC could be great for such small number. I've played basic modern scenario with friends, and from such experience even typical combat from westerns could be played (like dozen bandits vs few good guys plus civilians). But for best experience GM must play as one side (which allow fast fog of war), map is extremely helpful, also players should know basic of system. Even then reserve evening for such combat.

Well, I was using Napoleonic as shorthand for like 1700-1815, which I realize is a bit sloppy, but w/e, 4 AM here.

Anyways, this is sort of what I'm struggling with - I don't want to just have fireball cannons and lightning wand muskets, meaning the magic is pointless, and I also don't want something like, say, fire mages that can easily spark gunpowder at range because then nobody would use gunpowder in the first place.

I feel like there's some great potential, but i just can't quite get it to click. Gonna sleep, see if anyone was struck by brilliance when I wake up.

Wargamevault is having a sale.

Any recommendations?

I only saw the adaption, but since the book is a take on Jane Austin era novels I can believe it's boring. In the show though he called down fog to stall a French attack and rain at Waterloo.

youtu.be/WUtDkfHlzgs

looks pretty bad ngl

Basic Impetus 2 or any of the other dadi&piombo systems. They're all pretty decent.
FiveCore.

Some of the terrain is pretty decent if you want papercraft buildings for say, filling out a 6mm battlefield.

I want to do some WW2 skirmishes with 5-10 miniatures on each side.

I figured that some soviet partisans vs german anti-partisan units might be an interesting topic as well as a reasonable inspiration for such small battles. (Yes, i'm well aware that there were "big" battles with thousands of partisans against even more germans and their russian helpers but small scale raids were frequent too).

What are some good 28mm miniatures i could use? I saw that Warlord Games offers a set of 10 men for soviet partisans (as well as a set for western ones). Are there other companies?

I'm open to suggestions for 20mm too.

Pic unrelated

how the FUCK do you play Italians in Bolt Action? I've plated two games as them so far and both times I extended too far and got hit with Avanti Savoia

I'm not 100% familiar with their rules, but they get bonus for entrenching right? So dig in and play defensive?

Don't extend too far.

Caesar has two awesome boxes of Partisans in 1:72 as well as like ten hundred thousand Germans.

I like black tree Design soviets, they may have some partizans as well but a lot of soviet partizans where actually red army soldiers so it shouldn't matter too much.

Been sent some pictures of some 28mm Russian liberation army figures from miniature figurines .co.UK as I emailed the owner about the lack of pictures.

>Also, I would argue muskets and cannon are in no way the distinctive part of Napoleonics, they are functionally no different to the weapons of the entire 18th Century.
>Organisation was really the big change.
It's actually the hats that are the real difference.

fuck shako, tricorne for lyfe

Warlord will be releasing Australians soon for Bolt Action and I'm feeling a strong urge to paint these ferocious fighters. I'm already building a Finnish army so I find it entertaining that I'll be collecting miniatures of the two nations famous for shitposting on /int/.

>webstore doesn't have images of their product

I still don't understand why some stores still do this. I can't buy something if I don't know what it looks like.

>spoiler
Get OUT of my /hwg/ Shako a goat

>Owen guns

I'm intrigued...

Shako goat? The Stovepipe is ok, Belgic is trash. Tricorne/Cocked Hat is TIDY. Pith A BEST.

I'll also aceept TARLETONS A BEST

What miniatures could I use to oppose these (definitely not Russian) organised volunteer forces?
They're 15mm by Oddzial Osmy.

Repostin from last thread

Bolt Action campaign guy here with an update. 1940 was mostly quiet, with isolated sparring for control, until September, when the Republics of Britain and Ireland finally awoke and began prepping for an invasion of the Scandinavian Confederacy. In the east, Prussian and Soviet forces duel over Budapest and the fields of western Russia

Due to an error in the map copying, an island has been accidentally created in the North Sea with exactly the same shape as the northern coast of Denmark (which went unnoticed until now) The Scandinavian forces have stood on the defenses on this so called Carolus Island, beating back the initial British assault on their beaches, ending in disaster for Britain with nearly 50% casualties

By this point we've established a firm alternate history - while the Soviet Union exists, Trotsky is Premier. The Scandinavian Confederacy, under Finnish leadership, has unified the northern countries, the King was tossed out and a Republic established in Britain, and Prussia is staring at them with apprehension while they fight the Soviets in the east.

As of September 1941, date of this map, the US player is still AWOL

Bicornes tho

Whats the deal with the U.S. player If he is doing this for historical reasons I get it but If he's been lazy kick him out and get someone else.
Also I've really enjoyed following this.

>I still don't understand why some stores still do this. I can't buy something if I don't know what it looks like.
I hear you. It's such a baffling, decision

Hype for Aussies though.

He's married, and we're playing on Thursdays. We've sort of assumed he's not turning up

Hopefully we'll pick up some new players when classes start up again in September

Budapest '45. Tiller software. Operation Konrad. Turn 24 of 395. German Human, Soviet AI with +30 advantage.

3 and 1/2 days after starting the offensive and I can say I'm happy with the advance so far. Crossing the river that marked the demarcation line was a bit rough as the snows prevented a lot of mobile maneuvering. Bridging Operations were started along the northern banks of the Danube to open up more avenues of approach It took 2 days to get the bridges up.

Over all 7 Divisions stepped off on January 1st. 1 Hungarian, 2 SS, and 4 Wermacht. They faced off against the Soviet 4th and 34th Guards Rifle Divisions. Most of both divisions were destroyed in the 3 days of fighting, the 4th almost ceasing to exists and the 34th scattering and falling back in the Gerecse Hill twords Bjanda.

In the southern part of the advance elements of 6th Panzer, the 977 Grn Rgt, and the 10th Panzer Regiment of Div. GR Pape managed to push 11-13 kilometers through heavy wooded terrain capturing the villages of Tatabanya and Felsogalla. They managed to catch and encircle 9 battalions of the 4th Guards Infantry in the woods south of Tatabanya. Advance elements have just ran into forward elements of the Soviet 7th Mech Corps. The 45 Panthers of the 10th Panzer are rushing to intercept while the Pz IVs of Gr Pape engage the T-34/85s.

In the middle, the 5th SS "Wiking" managed to blow a hole several kilometers wide and 25 kilometers deep. Thier advance met with little resistance as they seemed to hit the line between the areas of responsibility for the Soviet 4th and 34th Guards divisions. Lead elements of the 5th SS have encountered elements of the Soviet 18th Tank Corps.

In the north, the most success has been made. The 3rd SS "Totenkopf" have managed to advance 32 kilometers. This was in no small part due to elements of the 96th Infantry Division and the Hungarian 2nd Infantry Regiment of the Szent-Laszio Infantry Division crossing the Danube by boat and securing 2 separate bridgeheads allowing bridging operations to commence. The bridging operations also will now allow 3 more units to cross and advance on Budapest. The rest of the 95th Infantry Division, the remainder of the 3rd SS, and elements of the 711 VG Division.

Budapest itself is definitely under siege. I have counted units from aprox 20 different Divisions surrounding the city. Soviet Regular and Guards, Ive spotted at least 2 Naval Infantry Divisions, and there are Romanian Cav and Infantry divisions on the east side of the city. Due to the sheer weight of artillery fire the city is receiving each turn im guessing over 1200 guns are pointed at the city itself....The Soviets have been ruthless in assaulting the initial line of defense. in the northwest they spent 2 days assaulting one line of defense almost non stop. over 6000 men and over 100 tanks continued to hit a single point in the line. fortunately, they never broke through but I was constantly rotating troops out of the line to push fresh units in. They have been successful in other parts. Here and there they have breached the first line of bunkers. The biggest success came in the north where 80 T-34/85s manage to blow a hole 3 kilometres wide and 2 kilometers deep into the city. I did manage to get a unit in place to cut them off and after a day of hard fighting and the commitment of 1/2 of Budapest's 40 tanks (mostly a mix of StuGs and Zyrini Assault guns), the 2 battalions of tanks were destroyed, but the Soviets are making advances..small ones..a hex here..a hex there......

there is little subtility in this battle. The snow and heavy forest prevents much in the way of grand maneuvers, this is just a series of repeated hammer blows against each other.....

Nice AAR there ASLAnon. Seems like quite the meatgrinder.

>tarletons

You, sir, are my nigga.

Great write up.
You might actually tempt me into hex and chit one of these days.

>trees on bases
reee

Magic should be uncommon at the very least, and rare at best. Typically it should be considered highly destructive and very chaotic. Each division has a mage attached to it, who's primary role is to act as a supportive caster and anti-mage, slinging fireballs and trying to dispel any spells slung by enemy casters.

A rare few should be versed in teleportation and portals, allowing for smaller divisions to conduct unexpected flanking maneuvers that would be impossible without magic, or allowing a cannon to use grapeshot on an enemy unit that would be to far away under normal circumstances. Of course this magic is largely used for the teleportation of shots over a longer distance, as men have a rare but unfortunate habit of entering portals whole and leaving them as nothing but a shower of gore and bone.

Oh, and long distance comms. That too.

Temeraire/His Majesties dragon is Napoleon

Great write-up of the football war, something that has interested me for a while.

>Oh, and long distance comms. That too.
Interfering with communications? Replace an enemy messenger with one of your own and screw with orders, or just have the messenger get lost.

>Typically it should be considered highly destructive and very chaotic. Each division has a mage attached to it, who's primary role is to act as a supportive caster and anti-mage, slinging fireballs and trying to dispel any spells slung by enemy casters.

Did you even read his whole post? If you have all these mages hanging around nuking battalions, why bother with the battalion in the first place?

Does anyone have PDFs of Little Orc Wars, or Funny Little Wars and its campaign supplement?

Laserblade, Battleblade or Alien Worlds from Echidna Games?

No?

Ah well, worth a shot.

Anyone played it?
How does the system fare? And what's this Blaze of Glory stuff about? Is there another (twice the material) edition avalible?

KV-1 in a post-1944 Soviet force, yay or nay?

I don't know about post-1944, but 1944 would be a yay.

"Some KVs remained in service right up to the end of the war, although in greatly diminishing numbers as they wore out or were knocked out. The 260th Guards Heavy Breakthrough Tank Regiment, based on the Leningrad front, operated a number of 1941-vintage KV-1s at least as late as the summer of 1944 before re-equipping with IS-2s. A regiment of KVs saw service in Manchuria in August 1945, and a few KV-85s were used in Crimea in the summer of 1944"

That's the second edition. The first edition was a much shorter game, far more limited, lacking most of the campaign stuff, and (because it's THW) incredibly poorly-written despite being a fun game.

Of course, even that's still a fairly old THW game, so not too easy to learn. Worth a shot though. Some of the latest games have felt a little streamlined to me.

I mean, Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory is the second edition.

actually hang on, that pic seems to be an even newer edition? that's not currently available? but there's currently no edition available?

...oh, they're selling via rebel minis now. Yeah, that's the latest one now, then.

>Anyone played it?
No, but there are a ton of it's siblings I have, so ...

>How does the system fare?
Quick and easy to learn (despite the absolute lack of any kind of logical layout by the writer) - moves quickly.
(the producer's name is not idle boasting)

>And what's this Blaze of Glory stuff about? Is there another (twice the material) edition avalible?
That's the lite RPG spinoff of the main rules.
Expands on the setting a bit with all the different rules, so it's not just all gunfights all the time. (altho I've no idea why ... )

>why bother with the battalion in the first place?
since the opposing side has magicians who dispel your spell

So it's just Napoleonics then?

rare but not unthinkable rare.
Even some BT-7s were still in use at the end of the war.

Would anyone have a PDF of THW's Morale Napoleon by any chance?

They'd still turn up for Unthinkable if they're playing that.

:^)

hopefully yes, but then again I like low fantasy shit

This isn't even low fantasy, it's Napoleonic plus an extra two dudes with their thumbs up their asses.

Damn. Is there any place to obtain second edition?

IMHO, 'Practical Guide to Evil' has the best integration of mages into Armed Forces ever in it's Legions of Terror(TM).

OTOH, any Fantasy setting is basically Ancient/Dark Age/Medieval soldiers + magic.
Gunpowder age would just be more of the same.
Even worse, really, since one (well-placed) fireball hitting a caisson would blow an entire battery sky-high.

And in the 3rd place: TAKE IT TO /AWG/!

Here you go, user.

beware user, the new range is noticeably bigger than the older chindits, no mixing im afraid.

Bless you user.

This has like twice the page count of the 3rd edition, but honestly, page count can bloat and trim wildly without affecting content in THW games. I'll probably pick up 3e next time I'm into westerns, but I have my old copy of this one printed somewhere anyway.

Well, if you can nab the 3rd edition, stranger, I'd be mighty grateful for a copy.

Yes, this one has double the amount of pages because of all the special Camapaign rules for Cowboys, Gunslingers, Lawmen and stuff.

It's basically advertised as a Lite RPG.
Or at least it WAS advertised.

>IMHO, 'Practical Guide to Evil' has the best integration of mages into Armed Forces ever in it's Legions of Terror(TM).

what now

What, exactly, are you confused about?

Can't be about 'Practical Guide to Evil' - since it's actually THE no.1 result of the google search.

And Legions of Terror is basically a generic meme name of the BBEG's Armed Forces.

So ... ???

Just tell us what the fuck you're on about, I'm not reading a hundred blog-bites of fiction to figure it out without at least a chapter to go to or something.

Their War College trains both new Officer Cadets and Battlefield Mages.
Mages have to learn two basic spells within 5 years: Fireball and Healing. (better ones manage Scrying as well)

Once they pass, they are assigned to a Mage Platoon in one of the Legions of Terror, which is then doled out (on an ad-hoc basis - auftragstaktik style) to the Light/Heavy/Sapper/Cavalry Battalions/Companies/Platoons according to the requirements, or kept together as a reserve.

In any case, they have a distinct place within a Legion's TO&E.

You know what's got good military magic? The Nightmare Stacks.

Also features hot jet fighter on dragon action, hotter SAM on dragon action, and kettenkrad on elf action. and vampire mages.

But reading and going back to the Napoleonic-esque context, I'd still argue that fireball is not what you want. Sure, teach a special forces sneak mage to stealth in and blow shit up then get the fuck out, or ambush a formation, but fireball is something you can effectively duplicate with manpower, and manpower is cheap.

Healing, otoh, makes manpower cheaper and lets you preserve experienced manpower, but it's still not as good as some great and powerful wizard who's really good at making the provisions trucks run on time. Maybe they're using fireball as part of a field bakery, IDK.

>kettenkrad
also holy shit the road wheels on that thing, fucking nazis could not into good tracks like at all.

Actually, flinging fireballs on a gunpowder-packed battlefield sounds like a recipe for a disaster to me.

One well-placed fireball hits a caisson, and you can kiss your battery goodbye.
Also, one single soldier hit with it, and all the remaining ammo on him goes boom.

Yeah, things will go back to good ol' cold steel in a flash. (literally)

>Yeah, things will go back to good ol' cold steel in a flash

In some settings they use air rifles to avoid mages setting off their powder.

Unless you believe in magic but not air rifles.

Air rifles are a good idea - don't know how practicable, though.
Not many units used them - even in the Austrian Army.

>Air rifles are a good idea - don't know how practicable, though.

They weren't meant for general battlefield use, but were for fighting mages so the mages couldn't ignite their powder.

You've already tossed out logic and physics since you're insisting on magic. What's a bit more?

Once upon a time I started to write a fantasy world where a bunch of Thirty Years War Swedes ended up via a rift. After they ran out of blackpowder, they asked mages to forge lil' arcane stones that'd work exactly as that, so they could keep on doing all pike and shotte.

Maybe something similar, or magic fire doesn't ignite powder or something, guess they had enough time to come up a spell like that. A trigger in the spell that stops it any time it'd hit powder, maybe, iunno, be creative man.

Personally I'd like magic in Pike and Shot era.
Also adds the fun witch-hunting Puritan stuff alongside.

Have some winter Revell US, guys.

Hey anons, before I go diving into the links of mini providers, maybe you can narrow it down for me.

Looking for crusade era minis or minis that can be used for it, anyone have any experience in this area?

wot scale and early or late crusades?

These look really good. I remember having that set when i was a child.

Thanks, and yeah, it's not an exactly new set. I was commissioned to paint up a box or two around 5 years ago, I did these for mine and I still really like them. The BAR gunner is especially cool.

Its really strange with these 1/72 sets. Some of the oldest available from some companies look still better than some of the most recent releases from other companies.