Critical Role

Whats the Veeky Forums opinion on Critical Role?

I find it's okay apart from all the melodrama, I have to skip any parts where they lower their voices try to act serious and wise.
Oh and Keyleth. I fucking hate Keyleth.

>after a fight with minor bad guy
>bad guy falls off 1000ft cliff
>entire party rushes to save him because he is guaranteed to die from the fall
>they save him
>he dropped a diamond when he fell though
>one of the party casts locate object and flies over where it fell in the water on her broom
>flies back up and asks if Keyleth can help
>Keyleth is a 17th level half elf druid who has shapechange, who's backstory is a rip off of Avatar the Last Airbender
>Keyleth plays this fucking annoying 'dorky' act which only a pre-teen would think was cute
>decides to jump off the fucking cliff to "Pocahontas swan dive"
>is told the cliff isn't straight and she's going to hit it
>casts a fucking Gust cantrip
>she uses it all the fucking time and is constantly told its not powerful enough to do what she wants it to do (I assume because she's playing an airbender- I mean Air Ashari, she feels the need to use it whenever possible)
>DM doesnt want to kill her and says fine it works but you're still probably going to hit rocks
>she turns into a goldfish
>she turns into a fucking goldfish
>she could have turned into a dragon or literally anything with the ability to fly/tank the fall damage
>"it's fine, we're gods"
>fucking hits the rocks and dies
>damage was enough to kill her 3 times over
>DM is incredibly fucking generous
>lets Revivify bring her back even though it cant restore body parts and really there ought to be nothing left of her after the 1000ft fall
>everyone in the party asks why she didn't turn into something that could fly
>says she thought she would hit water and be fine
That's basically her character. Imagine that level of stupidity but constantly.

Anyway, any "Critters" on Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

critrolestats.com/rankings/
youtu.be/eZUtmoEMT6Y?t=6m43s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I self bump without shame

General consensus is that we allow one thread about it on the board, and more than not enjoy hating it as much as liking it, hell, hating it is probably where most of the enjoyment comes from.

I was so bored of it yesterday that I felt asleep and forgot to insult the faggots on Veeky Forums that convinced me to watch it with them.

It was awful the DM was shite

What do you hate about it? My problems are basically whats described in the OP

I think the DM is really good, best part of the show. What did he do wrong?

>What did he do wrong?
I really felt he was railroading everyone.

A lot of twee fucking bullshit. I'm glad it exists, but I don't enjoy it.

I enjoy listening to it for Sam and Travis.

5E can suck a fat one though. I wish they went back to using Pathfinder.

She was pretty bad last night.

Are you the dumbass who kept asking stupid questions about everything?

If so, nobody "convinced" you to watch anything. You walked into the thread, not knowing what it was, asked dumb questions, and decided on your own to watch.

I suppose that's true. They have very rigid arcs. But i think it's more down to the fact the players want to play into the story,
However they've just started a new arc with Vecna as the BBEG and the very first thing they did when he was summoned, instead of climbing a tower full of dangers to reache the site of the ritual, they simply used to simultaneous earthquake spells to bring the tower down instead. DM did kind of bullshit and basically cast feather fall on the entire roof of the tower so the boss fight he had planned could go ahead but i dont think you can blame him for that.

>I enjoy listening to it for Sam and Travis.
Absolutely the best part of the show, I would stop watching if they ever left. Every other character is annoying in their own way and it would become unbearable

No, like I said I felt asleep. But you guys were really trying to convince everyone to watch it with you, don't deny it.

Considering the fact that the players all want to play the "campaign" that Mercer invented, in the world that Mercer also invented, I feel like a certain amount of railroading is not only permitted but necessary.

You just made me remember another part I didn't like.

I couldn't see the fucking battlefield. The cam was tiny.

I'm 99% sure you're that same dumbass. Nobody tried to convince anyone to watch it. You can go find it in the archive right now. There are several posts saying "link?" or "where can I watch it" but not one telling anyone they should go watch it.

Why did you need to see the battlefield?

Yeah battlefield cam sucks. They only ever have 2 cameras on it and rarely ever make it fullscreen

To see the monsters and know how the battle is going and where things are located, same reasons for having a battle map in the first place

I'd be fine with actors pretending to play D&D. Harmonquest is exactly that, transparently so and good fun if not entirely my thing.

What annoys me is actors pretending they're not actors pretending to play D&D which is basically what critical role.is.

Even if at some point before the show started there was an actual D&D campaign as it stands there is so much fudging, making up rules , NAT 20 LULz shit, GM fiat and railroading that it's not even D&D anymore just a shitty sitcom.

Take a shot every time Taliesin says "fun" or "funny" while taking his turn.

Take a shot every time Taliesin rolls a 20

Critical Role is fucking trash.

>What annoys me is actors pretending they're not actors pretending to play D&D which is basically what critical role.is.

Huh?

Before the game even starts, at the beginning of every session, Matt Mercer mentions they're all a bunch of voice actors.

critrolestats.com/rankings/

88 across 104 episodes apparently

>chance of scoring with used up voice actress cunts
I don't suppose that retard had any idea that Laura and Travis are married or that Matt and Marisha are engaged?

>Rooster Teeth video, with D&D attached
Kek. Rooster Teeth has like 3 separate D&D campaigns going right now, and at least 1 of them is behind a pay wall

And Ashley is dating the guy who hosts Talks Machina, right?
Also why the fuck did they stop uploading Talks Machina to Youtube? You have to subscribe to the fucking Geek and Sundry Twitch channel to watch it now. I enjoyed hearing about what was planned and what wasn't but what moron would pay to watch that?

Yeah but the pretense is that they're voice actors playing D&D when actually they're voice actors pretending to play D&D.

I'm not a fan of the show, but damn that post is cancer. Like, we're hitting /r9k/ levels that shouldn't be possible.

They're literally playing D&D though.

>pretending to play D&D

How are they pretending? Do you really think it's all scripted?

>Do you really think it's all scripted?

You're a fucking idiot if you think it isn't.

Geek and Sundry made a joke about that in their updated lineup video.

youtu.be/eZUtmoEMT6Y?t=6m43s

Railroading is not scripted content.

He's 100% right, though.

>Whats the Veeky Forums opinion on Critical Role?
Oh my god, that question gets asked like three times a week, lurk fucking moar.

Right so Keyleth jumping off a 1000ft cliff was scripted.
Marisha turning into a complete cunt and flipping off the DM because of a near 4 hour Kraken fight, was scripted.

>Do you really think it's all scripted?
Last night it felt like the whole thing was scripted

sorry bro, its what I felt

You realize that Marisha has been driven to tears before over the fanbase's ruthless opinions of her, right? I don't like Marisha and I wish she'd stop playing, but do you actually think she would purposefully play like a dumbass to fit some script... continuously... for years?

Critical Role may have some rails from time to time, but it's certainly not scripted.

Vax being resurrected for no good reason was fucking annoying. I mean sure gods can theoretically do anything, but when they were talking about needing 25,000gp of diamonds to bring him back I thought they might actually be following the rules for materials for once (often Mercer lets them just deduct gold out of pockets any time they want to cast something expensive, rather than making have the materials to hand), but nope, they just deus exed him back

Pretty sure he's revenant now which means a year ingame or after Vecna is dead he turns to dust and aint shit bringing him back ever.

>Not watching Critical Role for the Bromance that is Travis and Sam.

Is that a guess or did I miss that? Because that would make him undead right? They cast turn undead on him and he was fine
Either way they're wrapping up the story anyway, this is the final arc

They didn't mention directly but, Revenants can feel their enemy (the heat in Vax's head) and it says in the book they count as both undead and living at the same time.

Yeah rewatching and they are talking about how if they kill Vecna, Vax will die. So yeah guess youre right. Thats kinda lame desu. It's not like the party were incapable of bringing him back, they had True Resurrection and Scanlan was just going to True Polymorph something into a giant diamond for the material cost

Can't stand listening to most english speaking women. Makes this unwatchable. I don't like a lot of the popular roleplay stuff on principle even if good.

Can't wait for Travis to play a more intelligent character desu. i hope Mercer makes them all play completely different classes to what theyre playing now actually

Hey obvious shill. I like the show even though its pretty obvious you are a paid operative from the Legendary film and media production company.

>Ripping into Keyleth for 99% of the post and claiming to skip half of every episode because of melodrama is shilling
wat?

>implying that makes their cunts any less used-up

>Right so Keyleth jumping off a 1000ft cliff was scripted.

No, that was an actress acting like a retard because she can get away with it.

>Marisha turning into a complete cunt and flipping off the DM because of a near 4 hour Kraken fight, was scripted.

No, that was an actress acting like a cunt and getting away with it.

I like it, it's comfy. I'd take Keyleth over Tiberius. Powergaming ruins friendships.

So then you have to admit it isn't scripted. If it was scripted why would Marisha go so ridiculously off script? Why would the rest of the cast allow her to do so? Why wouldn't the DM just suggest how she could save herself to compensate for the fuck up?
Why would they script a fight to drag on for 4 hours? Why would she feel the need to act like a cunt if the entire situation had been planned and agreed upon beforehand?

Tiberius was cancerous lol

Is this the one with the priest that became an undead and went off on his own to redeem himself in the eyes of his god, which kept sending angels to kill him? Cause I remember seeing that in one of these LARP adventure series things but I can't think of the name.

He's delusional, is what he is.

I don''t think its that one, no

>You realize that Marisha has been driven to tears before over the fanbase's ruthless opinions of her, right?
And you think that's indicative of anything? Women cry over everything. Actors cry more frequently than normal people. Combined, women into RPGs or acting bawl their eyes out if someone looks at them funny. Even big name, millionaire Holleywood actresses cry and bitch about insignificant things.

t. screencaps his own post so his obvious wisdom (which got zero replies due to wall of text) is not lost

isn't that a pasta?

>zero replies

>reeee this game isn't about FUN!! FUN RUINS EVERYTHING!!
>100% right

just no

nice argument, wtf i love crit role now

I assumed because the top line was edited out. Either zero replies self-screencapped or tripfag, can't decide which is worst.

Might be, haven't seen it before if it is.

Isn't Matt Mercer the voice of McCree from Overwatch?

For him to be right, not only do you need to agree that having fun isn't the goal of playing, but also that other people having fun playing (in entirely seperate games) directly prevents you from enjo...oh wait no, you're not supposed to enjoy the game either according to that pasta....well, it prevents you from getting whatever it is you get out of the game.

Which seems kinda dumb to me.

Yes

Thanks, just wanted to make sure. Now I know for sure to avoid this garbage

yes advanced 12d shilling, adds verisimilitude

Yeah, among other things.

>He thinks it's scripted

It's literally a running joke that it is. You fell for the meme.

>implying she didn't fuck 20+ chads while getting patreon/twitch donations from thousands of beta orbiters
>implying there aren't at least 2 dozen men out there with the crit role girls' cumshot pics.

That's what you get when you have actors that are actually good at improv.

The only reason to watch Critical Roll is to lose your last miniscule speck of faith in humanity before killing yourself. It is a gathering of hipster nu-males and screeching whores they plop at a table, add a ton of boring shit on the screen, and then proceed to laugh autistically over inane shit for 2.5 hours. It is basically a RoosterTeeth video, except with a D&D session attached. These people are the biggest faggots on the planet. Matt Mercer's homebrew is shit, he's passable at best as a DM, and the women can't do anything except make fart / period jokes because they are disgusting whores. The other fat-asses aren't much better and are likely just there for the free attention and a chance at scoring with used up voice actress cunts. If you spend your free time watching D&D, it is because you are a fucking social reject. Because you clearly cannot find a game. Because if you could find a game you would not be watching 2 to 3 hour episodes of these fags' "banter". I cannot think of anything more boring than watching some other people I don't give a fuck about, playing D&D. I'd rather paint my toenails with my dick cheese. What a fucking waste of time. I seriously hope Critical Roll charters a bus and the bus crashes and they all fucking die. I am not even memeing, I fucking hate these cocksuckers, they are more obxnoious than the Yogscast/Roosterteeth, and they are flooding our hobby with these autistic youtube gaming addicts who will fuck up your D&D campaign and whine that it should be more like Skyrim.

I enjoy it, I like the characters. Veeky Forums ultimately has shit taste in most things. The majority probably don't even game, so opinions mean shit all. Never take Veeky Forums's advice, let alone Veeky Forums.

>lol being this buttmad and having the temerity to call everyone else in thread social rejects.

Yeah, it's getting pretty old. At this point it's pretty obvious there's actual shilling going on, and if it's genuinely not then I implore the "fans" to stop trying to force it down our throats all the damn time, because there's no better way to get people to hate something (even if the reason is irrational) than to shove it in someone's face all the time.

I gave the show an honest try, but I can't stand the whole "you rolled a nat 20, SOMETHING WACKY HAPPENS xD" approach. After learning their connection to Geek & Sundry, I refuse to support them, as with anything associated with Felicia Day.

Not my fault you're shit at discerning acting.

as a fan of the show, i honestly agree. these threads are pretty lukewarm and lame. There should just be a crit roll general

could you explain why one shouldn't support felicia day? she is annoying af I agree, but is there something more shekely/sinister?

The guy who plays the gunslinger is really lame but the rest seem cool. the barbarian player is my favorite.

I personally enjoy watching The heroes of awsome, comfiest and friendliest DnD show.

If I have the free time I like to tune into Critical Role as background noise. I'm usually okay with everything except Keyleth, who I mute whenever she talks

>The guy who plays the gunslinger is really lame
He is very lame.I feel like he tries too hard to be the cool intelligent guy all the time. But they all have their problems.
Vax is so broody all the fucking time and it's cringey as fuck. Like a mid 90's comic book movie adaptation.
Vex tries to be seductive and alluring sometimes and that's really cringey too. She puts on that deep posh british accent and tries to sound intelligent
Keyleth does the exact same thing, whenever she wants to be considered intelligent she puts on a low voice and says some meaningless bullshit. She never reads her fucking spells, you couldn't count the number of times she's been told that Grasping Vine and Gust don't do whatever she's trying to make them do.
Pike's just really inconsistent, but she indulges the others in their "meaningful" moments which is just cringe all round.
Scanlan is fucking great but again his shit with his daughter is all terrible, he's at his best when he's playing the trickster bard his character is supposed to be.
Grog is awesome, easily the best. He's clearly only there for the combat though and gets impatient if the talking drags on too long, but 9 times out of 10 he controls himself and is probably right to be getting annoyed with the melodrama unless its actually plot relevant like planning an attack.

>The majority probably don't even game

This is what always gets me. Why are there so many autists here who don't even play games?

Why would you think that would be true?

I keep hearing this meme, but is there any evidence? Like how would anyone know?

I saw some guy actually admit he had not played any tabletop games while he was giving advice to someone else yesterday, but I think he is the exception not the rule

Jesus, I just found out Marisha Ray is only 28, I thought she was 33

shit, I thought she was 38. How old is Matt? He looks 43

35 apparently. Laura Bailey is 36, I thought she was probably over 30 but she's looking good for 36

Yeah Laura is looking good, I thought she was around 33 myself.

>tfw you'll never dick Laura while she's doing her Vex voice.

>vex
her shin-chan voice is better

I heard she didn't like the show, shame if true.

That makes no sense from a logical perspective whatsoever and you know it, user. Never watched the show myself, though, so it very well might be shit.

Not interested

I don't even know what Critical Role is, nor do I want to waste hours watching people play DnD, but seeing how butthurt it makes grognards, I kind of want to watch now.

I came to Veeky Forums a couple years ago and Veeky Forums caught my eye because I like fantasy shit. I knew literally nothing about tabletop then, and it's been two years (Maybe three) and I'm just now getting around to playing my first game because I'm lucky my friends were interested. They're all casual shitters but I enjoy their company so I'm gonna try playing with them. I probably know more about tabletop than all of them and I've never played a minute of it. That's how it was for me, anyway.

Veeky Forums's full of extremists that wanna play the game 'seriously' and never break character and play 100% according to the rules and a ton of other garbage that isn't necessary to have fun. Critical role is a bunch of friends playing a game together because they enjoy each other's company and matt's storytelling, that's pretty much it. It's casual, and Veeky Forums hates all kinds of casuals.

I enjoy it.

It's good fun, has great story arcs, and a fairly decent spread of pretty good to great players and characters.

Although, as you pointed out, Marisha and Keyleth are the weak links.

I too found the cliff jumping to be the perfect example of how clueless the player and the character both are.

But, I keep watching for everyone else.

Although I genuinely do wonder how her character has not significantly grown or changed over the course of 100+ episodes.

Yes, and he enjoys trolling people by playing it and saying "It's High Noon" over voice.