Avatar: The Second Age beta release

As promised, the beta version of Avatar: The Second Age is being released.

This 220-page PDF includes every rule, chapter, and lore reference necessary to run a full game, as well as a sneak peak at the adventure-in-progress, The Great Uniter: Episode I.

| Beta 1.0.0 |
mega.nz/#!5xoXRYpY!Ea-g-lFV-n9qjtVEcDdWX5HOaVl3uX82duAqwZiUt60

| Character Sheet | mega.nz/#!BwZTWAoJ!Uw_qc9tc7HMZ1RQ8_fNeZyPBMg23WScXj6ZPemC31Z4

In the coming days or weeks, I will look into creating a forum for discussion and feedback.

As this version is by no means a completely perfect version, many aspects are still missing, incomplete, or imbalanced. Player and GM feedback will be key to fine-tuning and tweaking the rules in the coming months.

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/arzm4yqjtb6vhhn/AABty5R3unR7S3vib9dErgCMa?dl=0
avatar-the-second-age.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is gonna be great

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited to see everyone's feedback! Take your time, of course.

I'll come back periodically to check on everyone's input.

What is this about?

The Second Ageisa free conversion for the Fantasy Flight Games tabletop roleplaying game Star Wars: Edge of the Empire (et al). Fantasy Flight Games (FFG) created a set of wonderful rules and a Narrative Dice System (NDS) that allows for Game Masters and players to create and live out dramatic and imaginative Star Wars stories — Avatar: The Second Age adapts that system to the setting of the universe from Nickelodeon’s Avatar series, complete with bending and a combat overhaul, among other key systems.

Sounds pretty cool. I am going to take a look at it.

Whoops wrong trip, lol

Although this rule book is intended to be a full conversion, there are a substantial number of differences between the rules in Avatar: The Second Age and those found in the FFG rule books. Aside from the fact that The Second Age takes place in a completely different universe, there are a number of core changes made to the original mechanics in order to accommodate the Avatar setting.

Some of these changes are merely cosmetic in nature and the conversions were a simple matter of changing some words around. Other changes include updates and even entire overhauls in order to make the conversion as faithful as possible to the source material.

bump

Hey OP, any plans to rejigger this for Genesys?

At the very least, I intend to pour through Genesys to see if FFG came up with better ideas for concepts or mechanics that I tried to adapt to work in the Avatar setting.

It really just depends on what is actually IN the Genesys source book. The new Genesys dice will be very nice, though, since the symbols are...well...more generic.

My only wish is that I knew how to actually make PDF documents look like FFG (like the guy did for the Edge of the Kingdom conversion)...I made that whole thing in Word lmao

Oh hey, I was in your last thread. I'll have to give this a read through when I get the chance.

Why do most cultures give two bonus attributes while a few give three? (Why is it strictly better to be from certain places?)

>Edge of the Empire
>not about starwars
Hey, now Im interested!

Yo, why not lightning bending though? It became a relatively common form of bending in that age (way more common than metal bending even).
So why no lightning?
I know why bloodbending isn't there (because it is essentially dead as a form)...
But for real. I always wanted an avatar rpg so I can play my badass lightning bender

I was going to ask this but i see you allready answered.

I'm guessing it could be added, but it should still be extremely rare. But you could also add blood bending at some point.

Like I said, it was super ultra rare last airbender, but legend of korra onwards you see them alot. Mostly in weaker form I guess, but it is there. I'd say you need to become a pretty strong bender to use it for fighting purposes, but it could have utility use for benders that are atleast half-decent

Yeah, the lack of lightning bending kinda sucks. I always wanted to make a bender who could only do lightning and was completely hopeless with regular fire.

Personally i wouldn't allow a bender to use it if he isn't to some extent an amazing bender. The factory work lightning bending was way off in LoK imo.

Just to clarify, a PC is almost by definition an amazing bender, but you wouldn't see lightning bending as menial labour in my games. To me that is too far a departure from Atlas description of how it works.

Fair enough.
But in the context of PCs, there should be lightning bending

I can agree with that. But i'm guessing it should be a high level firebending technique

Yeahhhh... question is, though: what requires more skill? Lightning bending or rocket propulsion?

I'd say Lightning bending because it involves emotional mastery, not just knowledge.

Also since we're talking sub-bending groups i think Lavabending would be really nice. Definately one of the cooler looking styles of LoK. i'm just afraid it would be too powerfull.

Making rocket propulsion mastery level seems kinda meh to me anyways.
Lavabending would be super cool, but definitely waaay past metalbending.
That is madness. Only few earthbenders and avatars were known to use it

Oh yeah it should definately be high high tier Earthbending. I just like the possibility and if anyone could learn it, it would be a PC.

Me and my friends started working on an avatar game as well, on base of shadowruns core mechanics.
Sadly it never came to anything substantial past alpha stages because wveryone (except me) lost interest. Maybe I can get the guys together and play a round of this... maybe even remake our old characters we tested with in this system. We would need lightning bending though I guess (If you can start with it somehow atleast)

That's my mistake; there should be a clear distinction between a person's culture (for gaming purposes, culture is defined as which of the five nations a person identifies with) and a person's location (where the character is from).

The culture gives 3 stats where the location gives 2.

Lightning bending, bloodbending, sandbending, plantbending, and a few others are definitely going to be added (along with other content).

This is just the beta release and is by no means complete. But the bare bones is there and I wanted people to be able to start playing (and testing) what I had so far since the game itself is essentially complete. A good DM could just make up lightningbending stats for eager players, since the skeletal mechanics are all there.

Don't worry fellas, these skills WILL make there way into the next release :)

Lightningbending and lavabending are probably going to require Bending Arts rank 5, so you won't see every random NPC shooting lighting. Rank 5 is essentially a "Master" level form.

Good job.

The spread of lightning bending in LoK is overestimated.

Lightning benders used for power generation are still rare enough that they're in great demand and paid fairly well.

Also, there's literally only 6 people ever shown lightning bending in LoK.

4 of them are the fellow factory workers of Mako who never show up again outside of that 5 minute scene. One is Lightning Bolt Zolt, who shows up in two episodes tops. The other is Mako.

It's still menial labour that paid well compared to amateur probending. That is a huge downgrade from pretty much royalty only. Also apparently some gang managed to learn the secrets.

Technically it was professional probending and the fees were only exorbitant because of triads and corruption.

Ultimately it can be up to the GM how rare Lightningbending is. Because it will require above Bending Arts rank 2, the mechanics require that the player can only learn the form through a "bending scroll or master". It's for narrative purposes, so that way you don't have all the PCs just instantly becoming Toph and discovering metalbending on their own (of course, you can allow that as a GM if you want that kind of game).

The idea is that PCs and GMs will turn learning metalbending into a quest to find an instructor, maybe Su Yin, and travel to Zao Fu, making friends and enemies along the way.

Maybe finding someone to teach lightningbending is a lot tougher. Maybe there really are less than 10 in the whole world.

I guess it technicaly was, but they weren't in the actual league at the time they couldn't afford joining the championship. And even with Makos well paid lightningbender job they still didn't have enough money for it. So it can't have paid that well afterall.

By the way, in case the link isn't working, here's a permanent Dropbox link to the core rulebook, character sheet, and a changelog.

Of course I forgot the link

I also compare it to the context of the latter part of the Industrial Revolution, where you have massive slums beginning to accumulate in large, urban cities (like Republic City and Ba Sing Se), and the rural jobs just don't cut it anymore; so people emigrate to the big cities taking work where they can, and some of the best paying work is factory work.

Look at our own history, for example! A lot of those jobs paid next to nothing, but it was still worthwhile to some people.

In the context of Avatar, there's a comic book that touches on manufacturing with bending, and the factory owner has two refinery lines: one with benders, and one with machine-aided non-benders.

The owner states that although it takes the non-benders longer to produce the refined ore, they're cheaper and only take a few weeks to train to use the machines, unlike the benders who require years of training and education in the bending arts and thus their talents can't be mass produced. Even though their refinery is more efficient.

I like to think of Mako's situation like that. He's probably helping to generate power, but we only ever see this in the context of Mako's story. It's quite possible that coal is still more ubiquitous and cost-effective in this world than lightning.

There's already a ton of little things I've caught that I need to make changes to. If any of you notice anything glaring and want to report typos and mistakes, or have questions, suggestions, or comments, check out the small blog I've cobbled together for the game.

avatar-the-second-age.tumblr.com/

So do we put this on the gamefinder or what?

What's the gamefinder?

Also the mega link has been removed in favor of the dropbox link here:

I feel like i could run avatar with a functional core system and about three pages of house rules. Its not a complicated show. How do you need 220 pages?

fluff, tips for GMs, tables, nearly word-for-word rewritten synthesis of FFG books.

I did it mostly for me, and thought I could share what I did with others

So wait is the setting based on AtlA, or the significantly inferior Korra? Some references I've seen imply the latter.

Also, i see you mention five cultures, im assuming thats the four nations and that stupid city setting most of the early action in korra takes place in where the colonies were, but if culture is so limited, with only 4/5 options deending on the time peripd ypu want to play in, why not just ignore it entirely and choose something else to fill that role? Five options is really limiting, especially because for 90% of characters, they have at most 2 choices.

Also, you should add bloodbending rules. Its fucked and broken as shit, but iys a good tool for the DM.

It seems that the "core" rules of the book focus on the time period between book 3 and 4 of korra, but i don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a game set before or during atla.

Hey the Beta book link is down. you have another?

The book is written in the context of LoK, and the adventure is written in the same timeline, but the rules can apply to any era, which is why I added the History timeline in the back of the book. If you don't wanna play a Korra-era story, just don't include vehicles and make things like lightningbending rare.

As for locations, its really just a vague narrative thing. It doesn't have to be exact. The rules state that players can make up their own background, providing guidelines for how to confer bonus attribute points to newly-created characters. Since Avatar doesn't have races, it was difficult coming up with a system to divvy out starting attribute ratings. Players and GMs can do whatever they want, ultimately.

Bloodbending and other specialized bending techniques will be added soon.

Here you go!

Thanks, dude.

See I don't think you can have your cake and eat it here, if lightning is more commonplace and accessible you're obligated to diminish it from the incredible power that the more mythic lighting of Aang.

Really comes down to what you want out of the gaming experience I think

Thank you! I really cannot wait to get some player and GM feedback on the abilities and classes and talents available.

Love the work you've done so far. NDS should be a great fit for the setting. However after reading the book I think you've copied a pretty big flaw in FFGs or Paizos layouting: Scattering rules over the book, when they should be concentrated in a single chapter. Page 13 reads "During creation, no attribute can be increased above", while page 55 (in the chapter on creation) talks about the costs of improvements, but lacks information about the limit.
Similarly, the Bender class entry does not mention, that Benders can only buy one specialization.
With layouting like this you are pretty much forced to scour the whole book every time a rules question comes up.
Also, I totally blame FFG for this one, skills on the sheet _have_ to be grouped by attribute, not in alphabetical order. Seriously, in a game where attribute and skill work so much more in tandem to create your pool than in say d20, attributes first skills below listings make so much more sense.

I actually really appreciate this feedback, as I am not FFG and I can change the layout of the book instantly (or at least redress the issues you've mentioned).

I can also change the character sheets to group skills by attribute rather than alphabetical order.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Yes but something has to be written in the book.

Honestly, while it was well executed, I think Avatar is a shallow setting. Fire Nation, Earth Nation, Water Nation...Could you be any less imaginative?

I'd imagine it comes down to mechanics. If it requires a lot of xp to get lightning bending it'll be a somewhat rare skill to have.

Have you actually seen the whole show?
Legend of Korra too?
Naming Kingdoms after Elements might be... uhm... well... but there is so much cool stuff in this setting.
It is a really cool asian and martial arts inspired fantasy setting that I always thought "Shit I want a game in this setting".
Bending is also a very cool take on "Magic". (Because it is basically magic, lets be real).
Bending is also woven into the setting very organically.
This setting is great man, you just need to get more involved with it

I wouldn't say LoK adds very much good to the setting, but it does bring it into the 1920s pretty ok.

Mechanically, you cannot acquire Lightningbending without finding a master or a bending scroll; finding a master is meant to be a quest imposed by the GM and bending scrolls are uber-rare items to be used as quest rewards and the like.

Fair enough, that would make it pretty rare in game i would imagine.

bumping this thread for good content. Looking forward to reading through your thing user.

Could it be that the mega link no longer works%

The mega is down. Anyone got a copy to share?

It's me again I've prototyped a rather different character sheet. Under the assumption that attribute and skill ranks are capped at 5 and 6 respectively, the main section is revamped completely to use less space and ink, but also to help players build dice pools faster. The dot on the left is used to mark class skills. All attributes have their first dot filled in.
The defense section is now more flow-chartey: Apply defense before getting hit, maybe reduce damage by soak, apply leftover damage to wounds, if any, suffer critical.
The other parts are shuffled around a bit...

Whoops, forgot to add at least one pentagram-shaped skill rank meter (was way to lazy to add one for all skills).

People like you are about the only reason I haven't globally filtered trips. Have a bump.

Lighting is more common in the show than rocket propulsion though
The only cases where rocket propulsion is really used is by Azula and only for real propulsion by Ozai

I forgot if LoK shows rocket propulsion

You guys will wanna check the Dropbox link posted earlier in the thread, looks like OP already posted some updates to the book

I REALLY like that! I'm gonna start working on a new character sheet tonight, thank you for the design!

You guys are gonna wanna check the Dropbox location from now on. Speaking of which, is anyone having issues accessing the PDF or character sheet? If so, I can make a new Mega link available again.

Dropbox folder:

It says the second age but I don't understand what time frame this takes place in? Is this after the 100 years war during korra's tunas avatar?

It's during Legend of Korra, more specificly between book 3 and 4.

That said, the rules aren't setting specific so you can change the setting to an earlier period if you want to.

See No joke, if the intro is unclear about the time frame into which I have contextualized these rules, let me know how to fix it.

The "Setting" section of the Intro chapter has the following:

>Avatar: The Second Age takes place in a world that is home to humans and hybrid animals, intersecting with a Spirit World. Human civilization is divided into four mega cultures: the Water Tribes, the Earth Kingdom, the Fire Nation, and the Air Nomads. Each has a distinct society, wherein people known as "benders" can manipulate and control the element of their nation using the physical motions of martial arts. Each region has unique geographical layouts, civilizations, climates, and demography, and each one has a diverse range of landforms.

>At the end of the Hundred Year War, Fire Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang transformed the Fire Nation colonies, along with land ceded by the Earth Kingdom, into a fifth independent realm: the United Republic of Nations. Decades later, in 171 AG (After Genocide), the Harmonic Convergence would occur, merging the Spirit World with the planet. Not only have spirits been reintroduced to the world, forcing them to coexist with a society that has largely forgot about them, but the ability to airbend has been reborn among myriad random individuals throughout the world, all but undoing the genocide of the Air Nomads. That is when this game takes place.

>This is the Second Age of the Avatar.

Gonna bump this real quick.

Oh damn, this looks interesting.

So basically at the end of LoK, but still during Korras lifespan?

You should explain who or what the avatar is and maybe elaborate on the whole bending thing abit.
Someone who is a fan of the series already knows everything you said anyways, but it makes it easier for people new to the setting to get into it.

Yeah, it takes place right after season 3 when Avatar Korra goes on a 3-year hiatus between the two seasons and no one knows where she is, meanwhile Kuvira is consolidating the Earth Kingdom under the pretenses of security.

Happy to see this is still up, really looking forward to more updates and trying it out with my group if i can convince them.

I've started trying to put this one together, but the only "problem" I am encountering is what to do with the Bending skill. Since it is not tied to any specific attribute and is, instead, variable depending on the Form...I'm not sure where to put it.

You could just put in some blank lines for each attribute (class skill marker and rank meter) like FFG does for custom skills, but I admit that isn't ideal and I hadn't originally taken Bending (VAR) into account.

Peep this new character sheet layout.

Any thoughts?

>Talent trees

Please change this (read: burn 'em with fire). Talent trees suck dino cock, especially the Genesys-style ones.

Alternatively, put the Bending skill between AGI and CHA, oriented vertically, with a slightly modified rank meter for visual distinction.
Or on the sheets of the forms together with the attribute. But that might be too many redundant information.
Hopefully, I can send you another prototype later this evening (GMT+1).

What do the Genesys talent trees look like? I didn't realize they had been released already!

Mabe make a second sheet?
I think it's getting cluttered and marking down bending skill would be a pain on this

I meant the SW Special Dice System talent trees, I just call them Genesys-style for the sake of simplicity.

But yeah, they need to go.

Ah I see what you mean. What don't you like about the trees? Is it their limiting nature?

In getting rid of the trees, would you also be recommending removing the Class/Specialization structure as well?

Since Bending is just a single skill, the only real issue is finding a neat place for it so players can keep track of how many ranks they have in it.

Any recommendations for character sheets and layout are totally welcome though! If you have any proposals, please don't hesitate to post them.

Put that between the attribute/skill blocks?

Personally, I print out the skill and power trees and just add them to the main character sheet.

Ooh I see what you mean now! I actually really like that.

You care to develop that idea?

>What don't you like about the trees?

It is a really big pain in the butt to advance a character along them because certain (most) branches make little to no sense. I still have nightmares about the Gadgeteer Talent Tree. They simply don't worth the effort to balance them out, so just get rid of them.

>In getting rid of the trees, would you also be recommending removing the Class/Specialization structure as well?

Nah, that would offset the character creation system too much. Just have a list of Talents for each Specialization with specific limitations on taking multiples and such, and be done with it.

what'd you use to put your rulebook together?

I actually just used Microsoft Word (2016).

I definitely see what you mean that some branches from Star Wars made little-to-no sense. I tried to rectify that by creating most of the talent trees from scratch, using only the talents as a base. Unlike FFG, I have no qualms about reorganizing the trees if they're imbalanced, or even restructuring them altogether.

The most foreseeable issue with permitting players to chose Specialization-specific talents in a freeform development is that certain talents definitely require pre-requisites (Expert and Master versions, for example). Other talents, like Dedication or Pressure Point, are also incredibly powerful Talents in that it makes sense for them to be at the bottom of trees since they require lots of accumulated experience and players cannot simply beeline straight to the good stuff immediately after character creation.

Although I absolutely see the point about the arbitrariness (and ensuing imbalance) of certain Talent placement within the trees.

Another issue for freeform Talents would be acquisition; players must spend XP to acquire the forms which cost a number of XP equal to their row in the talent tree multipled by 5.

For freeform selection, how would we determine how much certain talents cost?

have a bump, op!