The most satisfying dice mechanic

Fuck if I know - Personally, I like counting successes, like Exalted or Shadowrun.

Nat 20

Exploding dice

It's 3d6 you punks

feel no pains in 40k(and whatever they are renamed to in 8th like Disgustingly Resiliant), there will come a time when you have to roll like 10 of them and pass 9/10 or something crazy like tnat
You will get hard. happened to me last week.

You might be onto something, there.

What KIND of 3d6 system?

How do FNP rolls actually work now? Still just roll to pass? Cause that's not really an interesting mechanic per se.

Rolling for anal circumference.

The best kind. GURPS. Which also happens to be the best dice mechanic.

I really love ORE's (Reign, Godlike, etc.) system of matching sets of dice. Conflict resolution flows a lot faster with a single roll telling you speed, damage, and location.

>gurps mechanic
>satisfying

Yeah, if you like D20 only boring.

Savage Worlds exploding dice.

7th Sea exploding dice

>Dude running away
>Take a shot because why not
>Extreme range
>Would take two explosions for me to hit
>Get four and peg him in the back of the head

So good.

>not recognizing that damn gurps toad.

Roll and Keep from L5R. It feels so smooth while still allowing big moments and crazy rolls.

I've gotta say, I've only played a game with exploding dice once, and I've never seen more excitement from the entire table at once.

>6
>oh sweet
>6
>fuck yeah
>6
>oh SHIT
>6
>YO
>6
>YOOOOO
>6
>YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This, there's no sweeter feeling than making a roll in nWoD where you're only rolling 2d10 but you end up with six successes because you kept rolling 10's.

Pulling off some BS with the rare 8-again moment is pretty damn great too.

Hell yes, nothing more exciting than having a random attack turn into an impossible action movie moment

Besides GURPS there's also Champions/Hero System. Both of them are 3d6 roll under.

An Official Games Workshop™ employee inserts the players Official Games Workshop™ endorsed metallic Feel No Pain™ dice into the players rectum ™. The player squats™ and releases them from their rectum ™ into their official Game Workshop ™ Primaris Potty ™. Any 5's mean the model doesn't suffer a wound. Any brown dice are re-rolled.

(skill)d6 keep (stat) highest and total. Solid, flexible, and variable.

I've never heard of this, so correct me if I'm not reading this proper:

>5 in Acrobatics, mod 3 in Dexterity
>Roll 5d6
>3, 2, 4, 6, 2
>Keep highest 3
>Total score of roll = 13

Is that what you mean? Because that sounds pretty cool. What systems use it, though? And does it have a proper name?

L5R, although it uses d10s

Roll and Keep. As I understand, 7th Sea uses this as well. Both are from John Wick guy.

Haven't played it so I can't tell you if it comes together well, but there's this game called Open Legend where skills are measured in what dice you roll with the d20 and every roll can explode

>playing L5R
>some mook explodes a damage die into a 57
>PC just drops dead

I like Qin's. You roll a white d10 and a black d10 and subtract the lowest from the highest, which is your roll. A matching result is "balance" and an automatic success.

Kind of. In 7th Sea, you roll dice= Attribute+Skill, and make sets of 10, called 'raises', which also determine initiative. 10s explode if you are good enough or hurt enough.

Legend of 5 Rings? Neat, I've heard some fun stuff from that system. Never heard of 7th Sea, though

>GURPS toad
>Not a grumpy avocado
>Ishygddt

I made a Fantasy Craft character whose strength was exclusively reliant on exploding Action Dice, but he had maybe 5 d4 dice per session and exploded on 1, 3, and 4.

I mostly did it because I was jealous of how everyone else at the table had the luck to explode their action dice, but not me.

The fact that you can almost guarantee the dice explode at all I'd pretty crazy