media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!8lhwhRhY!QtPgmG-SJLu8CSBEjRutqA!k0Ah0Qzb

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What are the best side-quests in chapter 2 of SKT?

Other urls found in this thread:

sageadvice.eu/2016/05/29/does-the-movement-from-dissonant-whispers-provoke-opportunity-attacks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Tell me about the pirates in your setting 5eg

Is there a better hook than "THOSE FUCKERS STOLE YOUR SHIT! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?!?"

Those fuckers are going to steal everyone's shit

>Hold of the Sea Princes in Greyhawk

What do you think, you forgotten realms androgynous faggot?

Mostly orcs in the northern/western sea of not!Europe, as my orcs are a mixture of not!vikings and not!mongols.

In the southern sea of not!Europe, the pirates are mostly dark elves who I've flavored as not!Moors and not!Ottomans.

You can find human pirates in both seas but they're not the dominant pirate forces.

They steal things and live on boats.

So, the revised artificer and mystic, what do you think that'll entail? How will they be changed for better/worse?

>starting a wild west campaign
>going to have 25 fucking banditos rob the party blind in the first session no matter where they go or what they decide to do

In the first round of combat, can a creature use legendary actions before it gets a turn? Has there been an official ruling about this?

In 5e, which race is the Mexicans?

If you answer anything other than Gnome, you're wrong.

Dwarves are Mexican.
Gnomes are Indian (dot, not feather).
Elves are French-Canadian.
Orcs are the Native Americans.
Halflings are Mongolian.
There are no Chinese.

The official ruling is "It's up to your fucking DM."

Suck it up cupcake, its fucking pretend where magic and shape shifting happen. If something has lair options and the DM wanna use them, guess what?

You gon die.

>Elves are French Canadian
No wonder everyone hates elves, Even Canadians don't like French Canadians

I'm the DM in this case tho. Good to know anyway.

I'm going to go with the boring answer
Dwarves are Scottish
Gnomes are Jewish
Elves are magical better than you assholes
Orcs are Mongolians
Halflings are Irish

My first introduction to the world D&D, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance, started this way.

It really is a good hook, no matter if you're driven by revenge or justice or greed or pretty much fucking anything, you're going to kick down those fucker's door and take back your shit. Fuck those fuckers for stealing my shit.

Does twin spell have to target a different enemy?
For example if I just twin a firebolt can I target the same enemy twice?

Elves are Norwegian
Halflings are English
Tieflings are Mexicans
Humans are French (18th century)
Half-Orcs are French (21st century)
Gnomes are German
Dwarves are Spanish

>Think I'll play a different race next time
>End up making a variant human again

Should Primeval guardians be able to use large weapons in their guardian form? One of my players has been doing 2d10 damage for the past few sessions and I'm not sure if that's how the subclass is supposed to work.

>Hey we have a problem nobody wants to play humans and everyone thinks they're boring
>Dude just give them a free feat
They knew what they were doing

Dwarves are Inuit
Gnomes are Turks
Elves are Central Americans
Orcs are Spaniards
Halflings are Jews
Humans are Negroes

I have a group of Pirate Lords specific to each sea region on the planet. They are widely respected and powerful. Each one had made their own groundbreaking discovery and guaranteed a spot in the history books.

I would consider banning variant human if the non-variant wasn't so shit

I would be down with it. They had to go to the trouble of getting a big weapon, and they only get to use it if they turn into a tree man. Trees probably have a hard time getting through dungeon corridors.

Reposting So should I take 3 Levels into GOO Warlock for my Swashbuckler or should I take more or less? I'm going for the Dissonant Whispers + Booming Blade combo.

Just make variant human different.

+1 to a specific stat for that human race, and +1 to two different stats of player choice.

Then lock a specific feat for that human race.

Example:

Human Race A.
+1 Int, +1 to two other stats of players choice
Human Race A begins with the Magic Initiate feat (Wizard)

Does anyone have any suggestions for running Deadstone Clefts from Storm King's Thunder? I'm not used to running large areas where there are so many moving parts and things to keep track of.

There's no way they can get away with different races of humans having inborn differences in 2017

And why the hell not?

Humans should be about versatility and adaptability. Ditch "Variants" and give them +2 to one of their choice and +1 to two others and then give them that advantage granting feat from one of the UAs.

Great, now 99% of campaigns are fucking humans.

Because he's a /pol/lack who's going to strawman about REEEEEE POLITICAL CORRECTNESS RUINS EVERYTHING and start crying about Tumblr

Because they aren't already?

Cool.

With that mindset, dwarves should be about mining and smithing

Elves should be about trees, not magic or drow.

Halflings should be about stealth and nothing else

Gnomes should be for faggots and...wait, no, thats right.

NO, right now they're 97.4%

>tfw every game I've been in so far has been 50% Dwarf, 0% Tiefling and Dragonborn
feels good having good friends

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The reason they get +1 to everything, or a feat, is because they're supposed to be versatile. The reason they had the most skill points in 3e was because they are supposed to be versatile. The reason they could be every class in 2E is because they are supposed to be versatile.

It's their fucking shtick, but instead of 'forcing' people to play Variant Human for tons of feat heavy builds, just tune up the versatility angle for humans and then give everyone a fucking feat.

Give humans the Human Determination feat (Feats for Races UA) and one skill proficiency and it becomes a viable race without the need of giving them a feat from the PHB.

If anything, remove one skill proficiency from half-elf so they actually feel like a mix of humans and elves (fey ancestry from elf, one skill proficiency from human).

in his defense the versatility of humans doesn't fit every campaign, you know?

>Last game was Human, Dwarf, Elf, Half Elf and tiefling
>current game is Half Elf, Kenku, Genasi, Firbolg and Dwarf
Are humans really that common?

Only in games where the DM is a retard and allows Variant Human.

Yes, outside of basement games, they're the cancer thats everywhere

Only among memesters who can't build a character without GWM/PAM/SS/Warcaster/Magicinitiate.

>My friends are edgelords and there are tief, a black dragonborn, and a deep gnome.
Once a session I call them edgehogs.

Variant Human is played by metagaming power hungry faggots.

Well, so long as they own it.

and volo's guide monster races are for furries or furries in denial. What point are you trying to make?

Tell us about your character, your background, ideals, bonds and all that.

What point are you trying to make? Someone asked if Humans were common and I said yes, among metagaming power hungry faggots. Just because furries play Tabaxi doesn't change that.

Oh right, I see. You play a Variant Human and have hurt feelings. Don't feel too bad.

Lizardfolk are for fun, not for lewd

Lizardfolk don't understand lewd.

Lizardfolk don't understand much.

I thought that one Plane Shift was the really furry release-jackal men, sheep minotaurs, bird men, and nagas.

My table only allows Dragonborn, Tieflings and Gnomes.

>Play a Fighter now
>Can get +1/+1 and a character defining feat for playing a Variant Human

>Play Fighter after these supposed changes
>Can Get +2/+1 and advantage once per long rest
>Or Play Shield Dwarf and get +2/+2, Darkvision and Poison Resistance/Advantage

Doesn't seem that bad to me.

Had you included Kender, your table would be the worst thing to happen to the game since....well that would be the worst thing to happen to the game

What's wrong with gnomes?

I've banned v. humans from my game (everyone gets a free feat at lvl 1 but certain feats [the obvious strong ones] are banned until their first ASI) and my party still turned out to be about 60-70% human.

I'm sure it will find players one day

What combo?

You attack, and then next turn you use your action to cast a spell that does less damage than if you attacked again.

Does anyone use the Planeshift stuff in their games?

>Kender

You cast Dissonate Whispers to force the opponent to move and waste their reaction provoking attack of opportunity. Then you booming Blade them.

Well, drop them on fights against creatures with blindsight or in dark caves

That's a good thing
>I can't make an interesting character if they aren't some special snowflake race
Fuck off

how do I use fog cloud effectively?

>Shield

>Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell

What does this mean? If someone attacks me can I cast shield even if I used my action to Attack last turn? Or do I need to Ready to use Shield in response to being attacked?

There's nothing "wrong" with them but everything special about them is already done by another race.
>intelligent, long-lived, vaguely fey
Elves
>live underground and craft shit
Dwarfs
>small and happy-go-lucky
Halflings

In my opinion the only decently interesting thing about Gnomes is their animosity with kobolds

No need to ready. If someone is going to hit you with an attack or with a magic missile spell, you can use your reaction to cast Shield and gain +5 AC against the attack and all attacks until (the end of?) your next turn.

You use your reaction. You get one reaction per round. Reaction is used for opportunity attacks, some abilities and some spells

for

Interesting. If I used Ready last turn, does casting shield cancel my other ready? For example I say "When the cultist steps on the trapdoor, I pull the lever." But then someone hits me and I use Shield. I cant pull the lever anymore, right? Would it be different if I pulled the lever first?

Mexican dwarves is the greatest thing you will ever experience.

This guy doesn't think lizardfolk are cool. >:^(

Booming Blade is a spell, not an attack. You must use your action to cast a spell to use it; the attack that comes with it is just part of the casting, it is not an attack in and of itself that can be subbed out for any other attack like that provoked by a creature moving out of your threatened range. So you need to take War Caster to Booming Blade as an opportunity attack.

Except you can't, because you cast Dissonant Whispers that turn. Both Dissonant Whispers and Booming Blade would be action casts, even though the latter is provoked by your reaction. You would need to Quickened Dissonant Whispers to get this out, necessitating you also be a Warlock. Note: this is because all of this is happening on your turn. If you cast a spell, end your turn, and then a creature moves away from you on its turn, you can reaction Booming because there is no restriction on what spells you cast in a ROUND, just your TURN.

And even if you were a Swashbuckler GOOlock Sorcerer with War Caster, Dissonant Whispers is forced movement and would not provoke your opportunity attack.

So this whole thing falls apart several different ways. SCAG cantrips are a meme.

What's the problem with elves and dwarves, user?

>Tieflings are Mexicans
>Humans are French (18th century)
uh...

Doing a readied action and casting shield both use a reaction. Whichever one you do first will use up your reaction

gotcha, thanks!

sageadvice.eu/2016/05/29/does-the-movement-from-dissonant-whispers-provoke-opportunity-attacks/

From the source user. I will have Warcaster.

Now all you need is Sorcerer levels.

Elves and dwarves are fine, it's stuff like dragonborn, tieflings - monstrous races that attract people that can't think of an interesting character so they have that race define everything about them

Even if the average dwarf player just makes a shitty gimli ripoff at least their general character could fit on other races

I guarantee every time somebody makes a dragonborn their entire backstory will revolve around being a dragonborn because it's So "unique" and "unusual" even though it's the most generic dragonborn backstory in the world

Now all you need is to learn how 5e works.

Fortunately, it's not hard!

So do you write out/memorize in advance what your spells' somatic components are and call them out when you cast them?

I just realized I didn't, ever.

user you seem confused.

The forced movement from Dissonant Whispers does provoke attack of opportunity due to the target using its reaction to move, this happens immediately. With the Warcaster feat, I am allowed to cast spells that target only one creature and have a casting time of one action as an attack of opportunity, such as Booming Blade.

>what your spells' somatic components are
is there a refrence for this?

>we made all these rules that could possibly maybe potentially rein in casters if anyone ever remembered or followed them

>Dwarves are Scottish
>Gnomes are Jewish
Wrong, dwarves are scottish jews.

Spells just say they have a somatic component. The descriptions never mention what these are, but some spells mention things that would happen AFTER the somatic cast. Fireball, for instance, says that a bead of fire lances out from your pointing finger. One assumes that you have to point to cast Fireball.

No but it's more fun than than just saying 'I'm gonna cast Eldritch Blast at the skellyman/remorhaz/ogre/undead adult white dragon.'
Yeah Silence.

Very few spells have a written out somatic component. They just assume you have to be able to gesture with one hand. Your somatic component can be anything I guess.

Forking the sign of the evil eye, pointing at the guy, snapping your fingers, doing wushu, etc.

Oh shit, i mean VERBAL components.

New dm here running for friends who have never played tabletop before. Just got done with last session and I feel like it was a complete failure. Here's what happened:

> PC's just got done saving a girl from goblins last time
> I thought it would be neat to have a rival party try and steal their quest once they were tired from the dungeon, maybe teach them there are options other than combat.
> Party skips all optional content, and as such decide to start the fight completely rested.
> Bard is reckless, stands in middle of combat, and gets dropped, only healer down
> Give the party a way out, tell them "hand over the girl and we'll leave"
> They refuse, down an enemy all get heavily injured in the process.
> They send the girl out as bait.
> Try and salvage the encounter, say "let's go our separate ways or we kill the girl"
> They take that as GIVE the girl away and agree
> Rival party rides off, tells them they fucked up

They eventually got her back but it was such a mess I feel like I they never want to see the rival party again and I feel like the session was an utter failure.

How bad did I fuck up and how much of this was them making mistakes as new players?

There is likewise no list of verbal components.
Which is why you should rip off Asheron's Call and cruath quasith some bitches.

A rival, equal level party is a horrible fucking idea for new players if you want it to be winnable. In the last oneshot I ran I had the players face off against a rival party mirroring their party composition for their very first encounter. They got trashed, but technically won.

I did it that way because the whole point was to set the stakes: it was a graduation ceremony, and the graduating parties had to square off as part of the ceremonies (but no couping anyone's grace). So it was to help them realize if bad shit can happen in a theoretically friendly setting, way worse shit can happen out in the wilds.

For your players though, the rival party has fucked them over. Beating them will make them feel significantly vindicated.

Maybe nerf them a little next time though? GMs can fudge things for the sake of it.

You just have to be able to make hand gestures and stuff, it's up to the player as to how the spell goes off

>no chinks
I'll take "What are Yuan-Ti" for $500, Alex.